Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

View Poll Results: Who do you want?
Glenn Dorsey / Louisiana State 8 12.12%
Sedrick Ellis / Southern California 2 3.03%
Darren McFadden / Arkansas 24 36.36%
Chris Long / Virginia 15 22.73%
Vernon Gholston / Ohio State 8 12.12%
Jake Long / Michigan 4 6.06%
Ryan Clady / Boise State 5 7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default With the 4th pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders select...

Glenn Dorsey
Pros: Might just be the best player in this draft. Has an explosive first step and great strength. Top notch character guy, would become defensive leader.
Cons: Plays the same position as Tommy Kelly, and would cost a comparable amount of money. Has some injury concerns that make him a bit of a risk.

Sedrick Ellis
Pros: Gets absolutely great leverage and has the strength to use it against NFL guards and centers. Is a nice fit as nose tackle to play opposite Kelly (and keep Sands off the field). Also a good character guy with whom the coaching staff has familiarity.
Cons: Probably isn't the sort of penetrator and disruptor at the pro level that he was in college. Perhaps a tiny bit of a reach.

Darren McFadden
Pros: Tremendous burst and top gear, comfortable at the position, and is a terribly intriguing option in Oakland's one-cut running system. Would bring homerun ability and likely the most talent at runningback since Bo Jackson.
Cons: Not overly powerful and tends to topple if hit high. More of a luxury pick than a need due to the roster and offensive system.

Chris Long
Pros: Great motor and pass rushing repertoire. Plays intense and can be used in a multitude of ways. Would provide immediate lift to both pass rush and run defense.
Cons: Doesn't have the highest ceiling and his frame may be maxed out. If his opponent has enough of a size advantage, he can struggle (which will happen more and more often in the NFL). It may be tough to establish his own identity on the team.

Vernon Gholston
Pros: Tremendous first step and strength. One of the best bullrushers in the draft. Plays hard and we might just be seeing the tip of the iceberg potential-wise. A better fit in a 4-3 than a 3-4.
Cons: Not a very intelligent pass rusher. Can disappear at times and does not get consistent leverage. Not as quick as his long speed would imply. Doesn't always take good angles in pursuit.

Jake Long
Pros: Massive frame with good quickness paired with top notch strength. Long arms and a good base. Keeps balance well. Fills a huge need for now and the future.
Cons: Might not be the greatest option at left tackle, especially in Oakland's blocking scheme. Not the highest ceiling in terms of pass protection. Can get beat by speed rushers.

Ryan Clady
Pros: Fantastic potential on the left side. Great athleticism for his size, moves laterally as well as any lineman I've seen. Would be a great fit for Cable's blocking scheme. Fills a need.
Cons: Played inconsistently in college and is a bit raw. Where he stands right now, picking him at #4 would be a reach.

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 03-02-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still not entirely sure who we should take....at this point, i'd be happy with anyone of those players except McFadden and Clady.

I voted for Chris Long.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Oaktown1981
Veteran

Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.

Now that the Falcons signed Turner.. I don't see Allen Davis passing on McFadden.
Oaktown1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

depending on what happens I think trading down may be the best option.
At this point I see Gholston,McFadden,and Jake Long being the most likely canidates.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually like Clady at #4. Why? Because he is being projected at #5 right now so he wouldn't be much of a reach and even if he falls past the Chiefs, he wouldn't go much further. His ability in pass protection is amazing. I definitely think he'd be worth a shot.

That said, I think Chris Long would be my #1 on my Raider big board. That's partly due to his ability and partly due to the fact that it could rally Raider fans to support the team again. The way he works so hard coupled with his great measurables (check out the combine, he and Gholston were trading off 1-2 for the most part) he could be a force in the league. Burgess, Kelly and Long on the line with another guy rotating with Sands at NT would be a very, very solid Dline.

On the topic of the defensive line, I'm going to say something that likely won't be well accepted by Raider fans--with Kelly on the interior of the line, he will be a huge upgrade in run defense over Warren Sapp. I liked Sapp as much as the next guy and I was really stoked about him dropping 50-some lbs over the offseason, but he just couldn't contain anything last year. Honestly, he was lucky to get the 2 sacks and and 51 tackles he got last year. He got pushed around a lot and couldn't push back. And neither was he penetrating well except when the opposing line was wanting to let him through. Kelly has strength and quickness on his side and he'll be better in pass rush and run support than Sapp was last year--that is as long as he is kept in the UT position rather than made a NT like 2006.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Oaktown1981
Veteran

Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.Oaktown1981 is a cocksman.

I just don't see the Raiders drafting defense with their 1st round pick..

As of right now the Raiders offense looks like this.

QB - Russell, Walter.
HB - Fargas, Bush.
FB - Griffith, O'Neal.
TE - Miller, Madsen.
WR - Curry, Higgins.
T - Henderson, McQuistan.
G - Gallery, Carlisle.
C - Grove, Morris.

On defense we all know the Raiders need someone to play NT and a better RE.. There not going to draft a SLB they just have too many other needs right now.

The best thing for the Raiders would be to trade down if McFadden was still in play with the 4th pick.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I voted Glenn Dorsey great athlete and I still say he's one of a kind. He'd fit good in our system not great but good. I'm very impressed with him. IMO I think he is a little bit better than Ellis is but thats just my IMO.

I would take Long first off no questions asked but, we already know Miami or the Rams will draft him, he's too good to pass up.

I love DMAC if not Dorsey thats who we should draft. I think he might be better than Peterson, he's an expulsive back. And I'm fallking in love with this guy's running ability.

Jake Long is like last year's Joe Thomas but tackle is not our highest priority.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Oaktown1981
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
I voted Glenn Dorsey great athlete and I still say he's one of a kind. He'd fit good in our system not great but good. I'm very impressed with him. IMO I think he is a little bit better than Ellis is but thats just my IMO.

I would take Long first off no questions asked but, we already know Miami or the Rams will draft him, he's too good to pass up.

I love DMAC if not Dorsey thats who we should draft. I think he might be better than Peterson, he's an expulsive back. And I'm fallking in love with this guy's running ability.

Jake Long is like last year's Joe Thomas but tackle is not our highest priority.

I don't see where Dorsey would fit on the Raiders DL... Kelly is moving back to UT and thats were Dorsey would play.. The chances of the Raiders drafting Dorsey went out the window with the resigning of Kelly.

Raiders only have two OT on the team McQuistan and Henderson.. Getting a LT is a must.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love to trade the pick to Dallas.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:13 AM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

Yah the trade with Dallas would be the best thing that could happen to us. If we got those two picks there are a lot of holes we could fill....WR [Kelly, Jackson, etc], DL [Balmer, Lawrence Jackson, Harvey], or we could grab Dan Connor and finally fill that SLB spot.

If we don't trade I see us going with Ellis or McFadden now. I'd love to see us grab Baker in the 2nd.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No Balmer PLEASE! This guys screams bust.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Oaktown1981
Veteran

Dallas would have to give Al a lot to trade down... Maybe both their 1st and a 3rd or a 4th something like that..

But if the trade where to happen it would be the best thing for the team..

WR M.Kelly, L.Sweed, D.Thomas, E.Doucet, D.Jackson
OL C.Williams, S.Baker, B.Albert

If the Raiders could end up with any two of those players that would be a good start.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Raiders getting Chirs Long would be so cool playing on his fathers team
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure what the 4th pick is worth but if Dallas offered both 1st round picks and their 3rd, that would be perfect for the Raiders.

22 - Probably should draft a WR, Jackson, Kelly, Sweed whoever looks the best?

28 - We could go O-line or D-line, maybe Baker or Campbell.

Hopefully McFadden falls to us and JJ wants him.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:55 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

If we did get two first rounders that help out a little bit.

Thanks to jackalope
Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default next years picks....

It would almost be better to get Dallas' two firsts and maybe their 2nd next year. Would be hard to find roster space for all those draft picks this year....specially with a couple of the signings we've made.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM    (permalink
TORAIDER
Rookie

TORAIDER hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would mind getting the 2 Dallas first round picks and Bobby Carpenter (I believe they were shopping him at one point) to upgrade our SAM spot.

It would give us some options for the OT, DT and WR in Rounds 1 & 2. We could end up with something like Sam Baker, Red Bryant, Trevor Laws or Pat Sims and one of the WRs. It would add some much needed depth across the lines...
TORAIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since we gave Kelly that huge contract to play UT I can't see us taking Dorsey/Ellis anymore. I would be hesitant to take Jake Long because most of what I've heard is that he doesn't have what it takes to be a LT and thats really the only OL position we need. I wouldn't want DMC either because we just re-signed Fargas and we have a surplus of other backs behind him. That pretty much leaves the DE's. I'm hoping we take either C. Long or Gholston to give us a pass rush threat to play opposite Burgess and then take Baker in the 2nd to fill the LT void (I'm hoping he turns out like Ugoh did last year). That would be my ideal first 2 rounds at this point.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
Since we gave Kelly that huge contract to play UT I can't see us taking Dorsey/Ellis anymore. I would be hesitant to take Jake Long because most of what I've heard is that he doesn't have what it takes to be a LT and thats really the only OL position we need. I wouldn't want DMC either because we just re-signed Fargas and we have a surplus of other backs behind him. That pretty much leaves the DE's. I'm hoping we take either C. Long or Gholston to give us a pass rush threat to play opposite Burgess and then take Baker in the 2nd to fill the LT void (I'm hoping he turns out like Ugoh did last year). That would be my ideal first 2 rounds at this point.
Apart from trading down, that scenario is ideal.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:00 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

We still need depth at DT. I know we have Kelly and Warren, I'm pry forgeting somebody else, we should take Simms in the second. And take a DE in the first since Clemmons signed with another team.

Thanks to jackalope
Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
We still need depth at DT. I know we have Kelly and Warren, I'm pry forgeting somebody else, we should take Simms in the second. And take a DE in the first since Clemmons signed with another team.
I'll be honest, I'm more concerned with protecting my QBs blindside than making a defense go from good to amazing with another DE/DT. I'll take one of them, for sure, but I can't see the Raiders not getting a LT in the 1st two rounds of the draft. They would be dooming their season as well as their future if they did that.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 AM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I'll be honest, I'm more concerned with protecting my QBs blindside than making a defense go from good to amazing with another DE/DT. I'll take one of them, for sure, but I can't see the Raiders not getting a LT in the 1st two rounds of the draft. They would be dooming their season as well as their future if they did that.
We can pick up guys in FA, I'm tired investing in guys like Henderson, and Gallery. We should get someone who is gonna impact our team right away, and whose to say the LT we sign could turn out to be another Gallery?

Thanks to jackalope
Old 03-07-2008, 11:56 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We can pick up guys in FA, I'm tired investing in guys like Henderson, and Gallery. We should get someone who is gonna impact our team right away, and whose to say the LT we sign could turn out to be another Gallery?
If you honestly think that the Raiders should invest a Top 4 pick after the contracts of Kelly and Sands then I have to question how you would develop a team. Yes depth at DT is still needed but there's seven rounds to address that and this DT is fairly deep. If you are afraid to take another Gallery then you are just hurting your team because what if Long, the "next Gallery", truns out to be the next Joe Thomas. You are left with a gapping hole at LT.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
If you honestly think that the Raiders should invest a Top 4 pick after the contracts of Kelly and Sands then I have to question how you would develop a team. Yes depth at DT is still needed but there's seven rounds to address that and this DT is fairly deep. If you are afraid to take another Gallery then you are just hurting your team because what if Long, the "next Gallery", truns out to be the next Joe Thomas. You are left with a gapping hole at LT.
I understand your point at DT, I know we just signed Kelly to a monster deal. But I would like to invest in maybe a DE like Long or somebody around those lines we lost Clemmons and Brayton and I don't know if Richardson can really step it up and produce. I understand that we can get a DT in the second or third. But I don't really wanna take another chance on having another bust like Gallery. Gallery coming out of Iowa being hyped up and suppose to be the next great thing and he turns out to be a bust who never panned out. I know theres that chance of Long or Clady being great like Thomas. But I wanna take my chances in FA. I would really like to beaf up our defense to what it was a couple of years ago.

Thanks to jackalope
Old 03-07-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Oaktown1981
Veteran

Chris Long would be ideal but chances are he won't be there..

2nd best thing is to trade down if McFadden is on the board.. Raiders have a lot of needs trade down get extra picks and save money.