Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default What is next for the Falcons?

QB - Redman (still a need)
RB - Turner / Norwood (strength)
FB - Ovie (not a need)
TE - Hartsock (still a minor need)
WR - Roddy (strength)
WR - Robinson (potential)
WR - Jenkins (need KR/PR ability a must)
LT - Quinn (Major Need)
LG - Blalock (potential but looking good)
C - McClure / Datish (hopefully Datish can win out we need the beef)
RG - Clabo (not a need)
RT - Weiner (contract concern)

LE - Anderson / Davis (Depth could be improved)
UT - Babs / Lewis (minor need, if at all)
NT - Lewis / Stanley (Major need, depth as well)
RE - Abe / Davis (Depth is a need)
OLB - Boley (Strength, depth needed)
MLB - ?Brooking?/Taylor (Need)
OLB - Nicholas / ?Brooking? (???, depth / competition needed)
LCB - Hall / ?Williams?(big ? is will he be here, right now great, could become need)
RCB - Houston (risk to put a 2nd year out there, but could be just fine, still depth could be good, esp with Hall as a ?)
NCB - Irons / ?Hutchins? (potential, still a need)
FS - ?Williams? / Erik Coleman / ?Hutchins?(potential but need to iron it out)
SS - Milloy / Stone / Coleman (looking good here)

K - (Major Need)
P - Koenen (strength)

KR - Norwood / Jennings (would like to see someone else brought in)
PR - Jennings (improved still could be improved)

That's how I see it right now...we still have some FA left, and I hope that Mo Williams can be added cause that would help our OL a lot. But our D is going to depend a lot on what happens with Hall and if he leaves do we then employ a Cover 2? If we do that then how does that effect the LBs?

Rumors of Hall being shipped to Washington are not yet the hot topic but may become that before long...all it will take is 1 serious article. #21 overall would be the minimum bid required to land Deangelo imo...possibly more. Still a lot of questions, but where do we go next?

My hope is that we land Mo Williams and then leave Free Agents alone.
Cuts:
Warrick Dunn (Saves 3 million against the cap)
Brooking? Depends on what system we run and how the coaches feel about him, I'd hate to see him leave but is he really going to help us out as much as we're paying him?

Then I'd hope we'd start at the #3 pick and select Jake Long or Glen Dorsey. If Long then hopefully we can get Nicks at the top of round 2. If Long hopefully Pat Sims at the top of round 2.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have a lot of question marks. That is for sure.

The main thing I noticed is you have Hartsock, the free agent tight end from the Tennessee Titans, as the tightend. I think he was brought in as a backup and a blocking tight end. I think it is Martrez Milner's job to lose, he is more athletic with more playmaking ability and can block as well.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:43 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mularkey likes a blocking TE, not a pass catching TE. Milner isn't either of those things.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The one time he had a reliable tight end, that being Randy McMichael in 2006 with Miami, the tight end caught 62 passes for over 600 yards and 3 TDs. That is way above average production for a tight end.

The other two places he went (offensive coordinator for Pittsburgh from 2001-2003 and head coach for Buffalo for 2004-2005) he lacked talent at the position.

I think you are sterio typing his offense to a pure running scheme. While he may implement that he has had a running offense with Kordell Stewart to a passing offense with Tommy Maddox when Hines Ward and Plaxico Burress both went for over 1,000 yards. No doubt is Milner a more talented player than Ben Hartsock.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:22 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

No, but there's a reason we went for a blocking TE and let Algernon walk.

Milner isn't more talented than anyone on our roster at the TE position...he's a disgrace. Pan hands and can't even get in his own way to block someone much less someone else's. Milner is the only blemish on that draft from last year. I know I know Anderson sucks...just wait and see.

This year's draft has a couple of options as mid-late round TE prospects so I wouldn't be surprised to see us use a mid round pick on a good TE. But he's not going to all of a sudden want to try and rival Antonio Gates...
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
No, but there's a reason we went for a blocking TE and let Algernon walk.

Milner isn't more talented than anyone on our roster at the TE position...he's a disgrace. Pan hands and can't even get in his own way to block someone much less someone else's. Milner is the only blemish on that draft from last year. I know I know Anderson sucks...just wait and see.

This year's draft has a couple of options as mid-late round TE prospects so I wouldn't be surprised to see us use a mid round pick on a good TE. But he's not going to all of a sudden want to try and rival Antonio Gates...
I think you have some kind of bias against Georgia players.

We let Alge Crumpler walk because he was getting old, he has injury concerns. and he was a main guy in what is now the old Falcons. In my opinion rebuilding needs new, young leaders.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 AM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Here is a quick mock I put together not quite done yet though.

Deangelo Hall traded to Redskins for pick #21 in 2008 NFL Draft

4th rounder from Patrick Kerney

3rd pick:QB-Matt Ryan (We need a QB and it probally our weakest posistion besides OT)

21st pick (From Deangelo Hall trade):OT/OG-Branden Albert(Mike Smith really like players who can play multiple posistion this is why Albert is the pick and he should be able to play LT in the pros.)

2nd round:ILB-Chris Lofton- I considered taking Phillip Wheeler here because he can play Inside or Outside but the nod goes to Chris Lofton the more tape you watch on this kid the more you will fall in love with his play he could easily have 100 plus tackles his 1st year in the middle.

2nd round:CB-Tracy Porter- May need to add a little bulk but has the potential to be a #1 CB also has experience on KR/PR.

3rd round:DT-Ahtyba Rubin- I cosidered taking Red Bryant here but I think his vaule is in late 2nd. Rubin can take on muti blockers and solid aginst the run but still a little raw though.

4th round:WR-Eddie Royal- I dont know if I can sit through and watch Adam Jennings running kickoffs and once the new coaching staff see this guy on tape I think we well fell the same way about the situation.

4th round:LT-Tony Hills-We still need more depth on the O-Line and with the leg injury I think Hills vaule is somewhere in this area.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i like your royal and rubin pic.

im starting to think more and more that the #3 will be used on matt ryan. i dont like it but hopefully TD knows what hes doing.

id rather get chris williams with the #21. albert is versatile but i'd rather have a straight up tackle since we have mo williams ready to sign and if we dont cut forney we should have enough depth at guard.

i also like the lofton pick. maybe brooking will be better at WLB.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

That'd suck pretty bad imo. It's not that it's too unrealistic...it's just a draft like that would make me pretty unhappy as a fan.

Matt Ryan - gag
Branden Albert - I hope we sign Mo Williams and no way is Albert a LT
Tracy Porter - meh
Tony Hills - good for depth but I think we could do better in the 4th

Eddie Royal - love this pick
Chris Lofton - not bad at all
Ahtyba Rubin - addresses a need

I wouldn't have anyone but Eddie and Lofton to really pull for though and that would suck.

I don't have a bias to UGA players, actually I really like the good ones, but I'm just not a Georgia homer. Look at Milner and tell me ANYTHING positive he did last year.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:36 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconsrule View Post
Here is a quick mock I put together not quite done yet though.

4th rounder from Patrick Kerney

3rd pick:QB-Matt Ryan (We need a QB and it probally our weakest posistion besides OT)

21st pick (From Deangelo Hall trade):OT/OG-Branden Albert(Mike Smith really like players who can play multiple posistion this is why Albert is the pick and he should be able to play LT in the pros.)

2nd round:ILB-Chris Lofton- I considered taking Phillip Wheeler here because he can play Inside or Outside but the nod goes to Chris Lofton the more tape you watch on this kid the more you will fall in love with his play he could easily have 100 plus tackles his 1st year in the middle.

2nd round:CB-Tracy Porter- May need to add a little bulk but has the potential to be a #1 CB also has experience on KR/PR.

3rd round:DT-Ahtyba Rubin- I cosidered taking Red Bryant here but I think his vaule is in late 2nd. Rubin can take on muti blockers and solid aginst the run but still a little raw though.

4th round:WR-Eddie Royal- I dont know if I can sit through and watch Adam Jennings running kickoffs and once the new coaching staff see this guy on tape I think we well fell the same way about the situation.

4th round:LT-Tony Hills-We still need more depth on the O-Line and with the leg injury I think Hills vaule is somewhere in this area.
Good mock.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
H

the skins apparently turned down a trade for Lito Shepard because they said they know that Lito wants too big of a contract and that they want Shawn Springs to retire as a Redskin. They have a pretty heavy contract with him that they claim they dont need to and wont restructure. Everything from DC points to drafting a CB in rd 1 or 2 to groom under Springs for a year or two. If they turned down a pretty good value trade for Lito I dont think they are going to move the first for DHall.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 AM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i like your royal and rubin pic.

im starting to think more and more that the #3 will be used on matt ryan. i dont like it but hopefully TD knows what hes doing.

id rather get chris williams with the #21. albert is versatile but i'd rather have a straight up tackle since we have mo williams ready to sign and if we dont cut forney we should have enough depth at guard.

i also like the lofton pick. maybe brooking will be better at WLB.
I'll be surpise if Chris Williams makes it past Houston and Philly plus he is not really that good of a run-blocker.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:51 PM    (permalink
FizzyFalcons
Rookie

FizzyFalcons hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Warrick Dunn was cut today.
FizzyFalcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:37 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the way. Ovie is a strength. The man is a monster.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I rank the needs as follows:

1. QB
2. LT
3. MLB
4. DT

I think the team is going to move Brooking to WLB, which is better for him, but to facilitate that they need to get a starting caliber MLB. You can address the DT position through solid depth. Obviously QB and LT are needed, but I think Redman and Ojinnaka would be 'okay' if the team doesn't get a top notch player to replace them.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:50 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Man you really think that QB > LT? How so? without a LT QB = nothing.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

You can argue it either way.

Yes, a QB needs an LT to function properly.

But if we sign Maurice Williams, then Weiner can move to the left side, and he has shown himself to be a more than capable pass protector. Yes, we definitely need a franchise LT asap, but I think that Weiner can be an 8-8 LT. Whether we have an 8-8 QB on our roster is far more doubtful.

I'd still rate DT above MLB. I think that MLB is very much a complementary position, significantly dependent on the DTs in front of them. An average MLB can look very good sweeping up behind a quality line.

Also, I think that you are more likely to find a quality MLB in the 3rd/4th round than you are a quality DT.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

QB is without a doubt the biggest need on this team. But due to the Michael Turner signing and Glenn Dorsey's talent, I think we draft Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey with our top pick (pick three).

Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 AM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

What do you guys think is the possibility that Brian Brohm falls to round two?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

It's certainly a possibility. But it might be more likely that, if he falls to the last few picks of the 1st round, someone gets antsy and trades up for him...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 PM    (permalink
FizzyFalcons
Rookie

FizzyFalcons hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
What do you guys think is the possibility that Brian Brohm falls to round two?
Scott had him round 2 to the Ravens.
If the rumored Hall trades ever go down, I wouldnt mind using one of those late 1st rounders on him.
FizzyFalcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

With the injury to Trey Lewis, It's now neck and neck for me with Dorsey and Long. I know we're a long way from the season, but no way in hell he's 100% come opening day. Glen Dorsey may end up being the best fit for us because his ability vs the rest of the DTs...

1.) Glen Dorsey
2a.) Carl Nicks

May give us the best value...but I really like Jake Long...

Then again...

1.) Glen Dorsey
2a.) Brian Brohm
2b.) top OT available

Last edited by iloxygenil : 03-05-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we get a 1st round pick for Hall then i think the falcons should get Brian Brohm with it. Brohm looks like a better player then Ryan to me..
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
By the way. Ovie is a strength. The man is a monster.
Man. having Ovie and Turner in the backfield is gonna be insaine
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
If we get a 1st round pick for Hall then i think the falcons should get Brian Brohm with it. Brohm looks like a better player then Ryan to me..
I think Brohm's arm is more than enough to make the throws, but they look like they float forever, he doesn't have a lot of zip, but his ball is SO catchable. I think that's good and bad, but looking at him with his pocket presence just makes me think Peyton Manning.