Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-03-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Calvin Pace

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3275059

Quote:
Only a few years after a disappointing and unproductive stretch in which Calvin Pace missed much of the 2005 season following a bye-week accident in which he severely lacerated his right forearm and saw the Arizona Cardinals withhold much of his base salary, the hybrid defensive end/linebacker has landed a monster contract.

ESPN.com has learned that Pace on Monday afternoon reached agreement with the New York Jets on a six-year, $42 million contract. The deal, negotiated by agent Pat Dye Jr. and his associates at Atlanta-based ProFiles Sports Management, includes a signing bonus of $20 million and $22 million in total guarantees.

The contract, which makes Pace one of the highest paid linebackers in NFL history, will pay out $26 million in its first three years.

Damn 20 million to sign, then 22 million guarantees. And if he plays out the rest of that contract which he might. Depends on cap number down the years. He is at least going to make 40-50 million.

He is a good 3-4 Olb.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I am eager to see the actual contract numbers. So far, every contract we've heard that wasn't actually reported has been wrong. Kris jenkins was supposed to get 20 million guaranteed and that was wrong, so i wouldn't be surprised to see this one be different, considering tanny is quite the cap guru.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

Bluedevil$ hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If Parcells was on high on Pace, I have a good feeling about him. Hopefully we can clear some cap some we have space to resign Rhodes, though
Bluedevil$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

I think we probably overpaid him, but clearly Tangini saw some kind of intangible. I really think/hope this kid could produce. I STILL want to get another OLB because we can possibly get some kind of situational Pass rusher to plug in there. The guy I am feeling we get is Cliff Avril or Groves (this is if we dont get Gholston or Chris Long). Groves I feel may have a better impact faster, but I feel (once again) that there are more Tangini qualities with Avril. He has played a true OLB and DE, so either way I won't complain. I think we also gotta address ILB becuase we have Barton playing ILB and personally, dont feel he is our best option.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Gang Green
Pro Bowler

Gang Green hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He put up better sack numbers than all of our linebackers last year, that's a good sign. Don't know much about him though.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang Green View Post
He put up better sack numbers than all of our linebackers last year, that's a good sign.
There are 36 players in the NFL who put up better sack numbers than Calvin Pace. That's a bad sign. Even worse when you take this statement into account.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:23 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Happy about Pace not the money. Not happy about Woody
Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

I have to say that I have faith in Tangini's evaluating abilities. They've made aggressive moves to trade up in the draft for players that they targeted in Harris and Revis. I believe they've proven themselves so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with this signing (Pace).
Bluedevil$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
There are 36 players in the NFL who put up better sack numbers than Calvin Pace. That's a bad sign. Even worse when you take this statement into account.
But one of the good things to take notice about pace is that he amassed 98 tackles and 6.5 sacks last year, but 5.5 sacks and 70+ tackles (1 FF and 1 int) came after week 7, most likely when he adjusted to the 34.

I'm still waiting on the official contract to come out as well. A lot of people were worried about jenkins' contract and that turned out to be a lot more maneagable than originally projected, so I am waiting to see the official numbers on Woody's and Pace's contract.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we get Gholston expect Pace's numbers to rise when he's not being double teamed
Old 03-04-2008, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
If we get Gholston expect Pace's numbers to rise when he's not being double teamed
agreein wtih this dude..I wouldn't mind a possible idea of rotating between Bryan Thomas, Gholston and Pace. Hopefully Gholston and Pace would start and they would just free up Pace 24/7 because Gholston is a speed demon and a monster. I would love to see people line up against those OLB's. I can see a possible comparison to a Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman. Thunder and lighting..man what I would do for that. But knowin the Jets are our draft history, we are goin to draft Leodis McKelvin or Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie at f!#@ing 6. But I try to stay optomistic.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i coulndt agree more with the roation of gholston pace and thomas, i actually just posted that in another thread

however i really wouldnt mind mckelvin or DRC, even though 6 is a little early for both of them, it would be the best way to go if gholston long and mcfadden are gone, cuz i think we need a CB
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Yeah if we can't trade out of the pick taking a Corner if gholston long and mcfadden are gone would be a good pick. If Thomas gets a decent amount of playing time look for him to have a good season. If he has Pace and Gholston (or another rookie) to take the pressure off of him he could do real well.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:41 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

yeah like groves, avril, or harvey maybe?

after harvey weighed in very overweight, did that ruin his chances as a 34 OLB?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

I personally want Avril. He did well in the combine and has that true, hard nosed DE/OLB mentality. He played at both positions and seems like he has though "Tanginiables". After that Groves. I wouldn't mind him because he is a speed demon and kinda reminds me of a smaller shaun phillips. Harvey just seems a little sluggish for an OLB. I see him fitting better in the 4-3 as a DE.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 03-05-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

yeah thats why i asked about harvey

and i loe the tanginiables term, idk if you amde that up but its great

and also a thing for avril that has me liking him is that i loved anthony spencer last year and wanted him really badly for the jets, and i see them as being very similar, but that could just be because of the purdue thing
Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
yeah thats why i asked about harvey

and i loe the tanginiables term, idk if you amde that up but its great

and also a thing for avril that has me liking him is that i loved anthony spencer last year and wanted him really badly for the jets, and i see them as being very similar, but that could just be because of the purdue thing
As for "Tanginiables" made it up myself.

Thats the same reason why I want Cliff Avril. He also seems the most versatile and has the deadly combo of both OLB/DE as I stated before. I really think he would be able to produce successfully in the 3-4.

Via BoneKrusher
Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Vilma the Animal
Veteran

Vilma the Animal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Avril and would definately want him 2nd, but if Groves is there I like him better. Hes just faster and seems more explosive as a pure pass rusher than does Avril IMO

DChess...youre the man!
Vilma the Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
I personally want Avril. He did well in the combine and has that true, hard nosed DE/OLB mentality. He played at both positions and seems like he has though "Tanginiables". After that Groves. I wouldn't mind him because he is a speed demon and kinda reminds me of a smaller shaun phillips. Harvey just seems a little sluggish for an OLB. I see him fitting better in the 4-3 as a DE.
I like avril, he's a good project, excellent closing speed and fluid hips. I disagree with harvey because i think he's one of the most pure pass rushers in this draft. His 40 was a tad slow, but his first step (10 yards) is on par with the rest and has good agility. He came in weighing 271 not the reported 291 and still posesses the speed and agility needed; not the best against the run, but he's just a pure pass rusher. You are right though, he would fit in well as a 43 DE, probably with the vikings.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 PM    (permalink
tishdog
Rookie

tishdog hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm curious does Signing Bonus count against the cap. Because I heard on yahoo I think that Pace got 22 million guaranteed but 11 million of it was a signing bonus. That would be great if it wasn't against the cap. I also heard even with all the signings were are still 8 mil under the cap which is great.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Bluedevil$
Rookie

http://www.thejetsblog.com/?p=3626#more-3626
Good to hear.