Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:08 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Best and Worst offseasons?

Which teams are having the best and worst offseasons?

Best- Colts

Although teams like the vikings and browns added many new players, it doesnt make it the best offseason (think 49ers 07). But the colts havent signed any Free Agents. So why the Colts?

They're keeping their core players. They managed to re-sign Dallas Clark and Ryan Lilja, two core starters on the offense. They also haven't lost anyone significant in FA. Sometimes, just keeping your core players intact is the best thing you can do this time of year.

Worst- Raiders

They give $34 million dollars combined in guarantees to Tommy Kelly and Gibril Wilson. I understand you have to overpay but this is a lot of guaranteed money for two average starters. It makes me wonder how much guys like Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard are going to command?

I also thought about putting the Browns/Jets as worst, but i decided not to. I think their moves are really boom/bust type moves with a lot of risk but then there is a lot of upside as well.

Anyways thats my thoughts. What are yours?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

It is waaaaaayyyy to early to declare whos had the best and worst offseason's.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like what NYJ has done. If they draft a RB they could have a 2007 Vikings esque emergent running game. Not the best, just wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
It is waaaaaayyyy to early to declare whos had the best and worst offseason's.
meh, not a whole lot more is going to happen between now and the draft, and 95% of what we talk about during the offseason is pure speculation anyway.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Cashmoney
Pro Bowler

Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.Cashmoney is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
meh, not a whole lot more is going to happen between now and the draft, and 95% of what we talk about during the offseason is pure speculation anyway.
Its still impossible to tell who's had good and bad offseasons considering FA just started, and the draft hasnt even went down.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

best - Redskins, becuase they didnt sign any big names and saved money
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
WOO.

We won the offseason, the right way, this season.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Lol yeah, we have made zero signings, furthermore we haven't even scheduled a single free agent visit. We have made two moves, resigning Todd Collins and Sean Suisham. Just feels weird.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
WOO.

We won the offseason, the right way, this season.
Kinda sad:

WE DIDN'T SPEND A SH*TLOAD OF MONEY ON USELES PLAYERS!!! WOOOO

oh and I so far dislike the lions offseason, as we didn't manage to bring anyone back, and so far all we got was Leigh Bodden (which is good) and we failed to hang on to Damien Woody.

Did get rid of Shaun Rogers, which is a plus in my book.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

lol YEAH all the redskins fan agree with me
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashmoneydrew View Post
Its still impossible to tell who's had good and bad offseasons considering FA just started, and the draft hasnt even went down.
Consider it the pre-draft addition.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

WORST- Kansas City Chiefs
Maybe it is one of the best in the sense that we needed to completely rebuild a few years ago but stil it is very depressing to see us finally completely unload the roster and then completely ignore free agency despite having over $25 million in cap room. Our team is a complete mess and I think it will take a minimum of 3 offseasons (counting this one) to return to a respectable team. Hopefully by that time coach Herm Edwards and GM Carl Peterson will both be gone.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'm going to get in on this redskins fans hi five session. *hi fives all around*
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its funny how all the bests are teams that didn't sign any big name guys.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

I'll be a homer and say the Jaguars had the best Free Agency...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like what the Bills and the Dolphins did.

I'm much more in favor of giving a young guy 3-8 million in guarantees than an old vet 30. It keeps that carrot out there and let's you continue to develop them.

To that end, I don't like what the Jets did. I also think the Jaguars spent quite a bit for very average players. Vikings spent way too much too, but at least they got some good talent. The Raiders go without saying.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love what the Saints did. Resigned Patten, Copper, Devery (eh), Goodwin, Stecker, and Young. Signed depth at need positions in *** and McCray. Stole(hopefully) a stud MLB in Vilma. When he returns to form, which he says his rehab is going great, he will instantly boost the defense.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bucs have not done close to enough IMO. The addition of Faine is huge and he gives us one of the best O-lines in the league, and a very young one at that. We did overpay for him. I dont expect Wilkerson, Gilmore or Greise to do much. I expect us to sign Warrick Dunn as well as make one more big addition. Javon Walker maybe?
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well the term offseason suggests that a team who didn't sign or trade one player qualifies as having a best if they don't lose anyone and they were great last year. I agree the Colts are having a good offseason since they aren't losing any key players and will only get better with another training camp and draft. But regarding who has done the best job of improving their team this offseason, so far it's the Browns. Jets will probably steal that title after they draft McFadden or Gholston though. I like what Miami has done too.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 PM    (permalink
jetsfan0099
Rookie

jetsfan0099 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like what my Jets have done, besides signing Pace to that contract which I think he was overpaid, he may be a good LB but he wasn't worth that money. I hope he continues to improve and bes a really good LB this year. But I love the signing of Alan Faneca, it was one we needed to make because he will improve Ferguson and Mangolds game since he is a vet and will help them out. Also is a nasty blocker and will help the run game. I liked the trade for Kris Jenkins, the contract we gave him was good, had incentives to keep him in shape, fills a big need at NT though. I like signing Woody because he plays all the positions on the line, will play RT for us. Jets all of sudden have one of the better offensive lines in football. And filled their 4 biggest needs. (NT,LG,RT,OLB)

I also liked how they got something for Vilma since he is injured didn't fit our system and was leaving after this season anyways. We got a 4th round draft choice this year and possibly a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year.
Then hopefully Robertson gets traded, he also doesn't fit our system. If we get the 4th and 5th round choices than we have 8 draft choices along with a 6th overall selection. So we really could keep building the core of this team which is drafted players and add the depth to the team and more youth.
The Jets are on the upswing, they didn't just sign big names, they had a plan they went and found the guys that fit their system and what they want to do. Its different then what the Redskins and 49ers have been doing. I think Justin Smith was the worse signing of the FA period.
jetsfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love what the brownies have done thus far, but offseason means draft picks as well so its too early to tell, but seeing as how they dont have any 1st day picks, im pretty impressed...I really think they could of been put over the top by trading Anderson now, but no need to rush, keeping him only makes Quinn work harder and want to prove himself instead of handing it to him and letting him cake walk into being a starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

It's... been... four... days...
Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
It's... been... four... days...
Free agency is essentially over. I think the title of the thread is misleading, but you can pretty much judge a team's free agency activity, at least the big hitters, already.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I like what the Bills and the Dolphins did.

I'm much more in favor of giving a young guy 3-8 million in guarantees than an old vet 30. It keeps that carrot out there and let's you continue to develop them.

To that end, I don't like what the Jets did. I also think the Jaguars spent quite a bit for very average players. Vikings spent way too much too, but at least they got some good talent. The Raiders go without saying.
With you on that one. I think the Dolphins, Saints and Bills had the best FA period.

Dolphins got alot of young talent that might not be the star big name guys but add solid depth across the board for a team that needed it. Smiley, Starks, Wilford, Torbor, and Anderson are all on the upswing and all come at reasonable prices (Smiley was the most expensive at 9 mil guaranteed over 5 years). Also picked the 2 guys they felt had enough talent to warrent being resigned and got the deals done at a good rate. Lehan and Bell are solid depth guys that they are bringing back.

Saints knew the D was the big need and they went after exactly what they needed. Hit big on Vilma where he will fill their biggest hole at MLB. Got him for a reasonable cost and he's a good fit. Then they went out and added McCray at another reasonable price tag. He has flashes pretty good pass rushing skills and should help them fill that 3rd DE role they were lacking last season. They overpaid a little for *** in my opinion but he is a solid CB who doesn't make many mistakes. That's all they really need opposite McKenzie until they get a guy that can take over there full time and move *** to a nickel role where he is a solid player. Most importantly of all, they resigned Stecker, Young, Patten, Copper, and Henderson which is huge in this day and age.

The Bills really hit one out of the park with Mitchell which really upgrades their LB corp. I think he was the biggest steal of FA. Picking up Stroud was also huge for them as they needed that big run clugger in the middle. Didn't overpay for anyone and just went after exactly what they needed at a solid price.

The 3 worse FA period have got to be the NY Jets, Oakland Raiders and Minnesota Vikings.

Faneca is a solid signing for the Jets but Jenkins, Pace and Woody all got contracts that could hinder the Jets in the future and they all come with significant question marks. Not a single value signing, instead they went and overpaid for just about everyone just trying to fill needs. It's good they know what they need and went after it but they needed to focus on the future as signings 4 players with as many questions as those guys do to the bloated contracts that they got is not the right way to go about addressing your needs. Teams that go and throw out that kinda money on FAs more often then not end up regretting it. The group for 4 that they got isn't gonna turn them from a 4-12 team to a playoff contender. They should have been patient, they were still 1 more offseason away from relly being where they want to be and throwing all this money away could set them back.

Pretty much ditto for the Vikings as with the Jets. Madieu Williams and Bernard Berrian, are you joking? Throwing that much out there on guys that are slight upgrades is not a good idea. I mean Berrian is making just slightly less the Randy Moss. What a joke. They were better off going after a cheaper option like Hackett and a young safety like Yeremiah Bell. They probably couldve addressed more needs and gotten more bang for their buck then they did. They likely could have added Yeremiah Bell, DJ Hackett, Antwan Odom and another guy for the price they paid for Williams and Berrian. And the truth of the matter is that Berrian and Williams aren't gonna get them to the next level, they are just need fillers. They have holes in other address that they could have addressed as well if they were smarter with their bigger targets.

For the Raiders, do I need to say more then Tommy Kelly?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
Pretty much ditto for the Vikings as with the Jets. Madieu Williams and Bernard Berrian, are you joking? Throwing that much out there on guys that are slight upgrades is not a good idea. I mean Berrian is making just slightly less the Randy Moss. What a joke. They were better off going after a cheaper option like Hackett and a young safety like Yeremiah Bell. They probably couldve addressed more needs and gotten more bang for their buck then they did. They likely could have added Yeremiah Bell, DJ Hackett, Antwan Odom and another guy for the price they paid for Williams and Berrian. And the truth of the matter is that Berrian and Williams aren't gonna get them to the next level, they are just need fillers. They have holes in other address that they could have addressed as well if they were smarter with their bigger targets.
I don't think comparing the Berrian deal to the Moss deal is really fair, it's different circumstances.

I mean, if you compare what Berrian got to Jerry Porter or Andre Davis, both of whom I consider vastly inferior receivers, I don't think it's really that bad. Andre Davis got 8 million in guarantees.

So actually, I take back what I said. I'm putting the Texans up there as well. Andre Davis and Jacque Reeves? Seriously?