Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are there are big names still out there?

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:38 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Which teams are having the best and worst offseasons?

Best- Colts

Although teams like the vikings and browns added many new players, it doesnt make it the best offseason (think 49ers 07). But the colts havent signed any Free Agents. So why the Colts?

They're keeping their core players. They managed to re-sign Dallas Clark and Ryan Lilja, two core starters on the offense. They also haven't lost anyone significant in FA. Sometimes, just keeping your core players intact is the best thing you can do this time of year.
Yeah because the 49'rs were extremely overrated in 06 means that because their offseason didnt improve them to a better team that it also means other teams won't improve when they add talent.

Also, about the Colts keeping core players... How about the Browns retaining Derek Anderson and Jamal Lewis, and adding two good defensive linemen (Our worst position last year) as well as a speedy #2 receiver (something we don't have.)

Some times the obvious answer is the right one, don't try to outthink yourself bud.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 AM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not ecstatic with the Broncos at this point. Although I think Walker was bad for the team, and gold wasnt doing great, they were 2 starters. And so far all we've done is bring in Kerry Colbert...who'll be lucky to be the third or 4th WR on the team. Not a big fan. The last player I read about pursuing was Boss Bailey, who is a lot like gold, but with the bailey brand name on the back.

Only way I like the Broncos offseason, is if they end up with a good DT during draft or trade, or if they pick the players I want in the draft (chris williams and earl bennett)

Of course, defense is the biggest need, but they seem to think that this is a team with no holes.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

The 49ers D is gonna be much improved.

gdamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 AM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.gdamac is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the decider13 View Post
I'm not ecstatic with the Broncos at this point. Although I think Walker was bad for the team, and gold wasnt doing great, they were 2 starters. And so far all we've done is bring in Kerry Colbert...who'll be lucky to be the third or 4th WR on the team. Not a big fan. The last player I read about pursuing was Boss Bailey, who is a lot like gold, but with the bailey brand name on the back.

Only way I like the Broncos offseason, is if they end up with a good DT during draft or trade, or if they pick the players I want in the draft (chris williams and earl bennett)

Of course, defense is the biggest need, but they seem to think that this is a team with no holes.
Believe it or not, I am using the Broncos to gauge this whole free agency. Denver evals talent as good as anybody. If they were unwilling to give up so much to get some of these defensive tackles, it makes me glad the Raiders didn't trade away picks to get one of them too.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdamac View Post
Believe it or not, I am using the Broncos to gauge this whole free agency. Denver evals talent as good as anybody. If they were unwilling to give up so much to get some of these defensive tackles, it makes me glad the Raiders didn't trade away picks to get one of them too.
What does evals mean?
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
Are there are big names still out there?
dj hackett
julius jones
clark haggans
jake scott
bryant johnson
ty law
javon walker
eugene wilson
boss baily
ben troupe
marty booker
warrick dunn

i think most of those are still avial
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
dj hackett
julius jones
clark haggans
jake scott
bryant johnson
ty law
javon walker
eugene wilson
boss baily
ben troupe
marty booker
warrick dunn

i think most of those are still avial
isnt he with the bills
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
isnt he with the bills
from my understanding its like 95% but nothing is official
Old 03-04-2008, 11:53 AM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yeah, denver is usually pretty good, but last year was dissapointing with the players that were good on other teams, but didnt fit with the Broncos. I guess they learned there lesson about goin after high priced free agents, but I think they went too far.

DT is a huge need, as is LB imo and neither has been addressed at all. Unless they plan on making a trade up in the draft for sedrick ellis or vernon gholston, then I think they made a mistake by not picking up a solid DT or LB.

I just dont like what we did last year, and I dont think that we are really heading in the right direction as of now.

But lets hope that we fix things up come draft. *fingers crossed* lol
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Yeah because the 49'rs were extremely overrated in 06 means that because their offseason didnt improve them to a better team that it also means other teams won't improve when they add talent.

Also, about the Colts keeping core players... How about the Browns retaining Derek Anderson and Jamal Lewis, and adding two good defensive linemen (Our worst position last year) as well as a speedy #2 receiver (something we don't have.)

Some times the obvious answer is the right one, don't try to outthink yourself bud.
My point is adding the most players for the highest cost isnt indictative of the best offseason.

And the colts offseason is still the best, IMO. Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders are very important to a team that competes for a championship every year this decade. Derek Anderson and Jamal Lewis had good seasons but Anderson faltered down the stretch and is still a big question mark and dont even think about Jamal Lewis being more important than Sanders (you know...the DPOY) or Clark.

And dont kid yourself about your teams acquisitions. You think trading a 2nd round pick for a player who has never played in a 3-4, trading a 3rd round pick plus a starting CB for a player who is known for his questionable work ethic, and giving $10 million guaranteed to Stallworth qualifies for the best offseason? It could turn out great but it could also fall flat on the browns face, which in case you didnt notice, is what i stated in the original post, that it is a boom/bust type offseason. Quit being a homer.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 03-05-2008 at 03:30 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best news of the offseason for the skins, no signings in the first wave of big name free agents, plus we retained our backup QB and kicker, and are officially 8 mil under the cap.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
What does evals mean?
it means I was lazy. evaluates, I have no idea why in the middle of a fairly good sized paragraph I choose to abbreviate that word.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

Raiders may sign Kwame Harris. I think you would have to name them the best off season if that happens.

No, I am not serious.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Quote:
Raiders may sign Kwame Harris. I think you would have to name them the best off season if that happens.

No, I am not serious.
Man I really feel for the raiders fans right now. That must be the worst front office in the league.

I don't think I have liked any of their signings thus far except for franchising Nnambdi, but he should have been locked up before that.

Javon Walker got Randy Moss money for the first 3 years. Tommie Kelly has been ok, but is not the answer for their run d. Kwame Harris was pretty bad in SF. Wilson might be ok, but they should probably move him to SS to better utilize Huff... paying that much for a guy that is switching positions is not ideal.

But the worst part of their offseason has been the crazyness between Kiffin and Davis...just incomprehensible....
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:36 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Add crumpler to the FA list, Tenn didn't sign him.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:42 AM    (permalink
sup3rdup3r
Rookie

sup3rdup3r hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.sup3rdup3r hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedevil$ View Post
Ignoring the fact that the 49ers spent a buttload of cash on him, I question how Smith fits in the '9ers 3-4 defense. A very risky signing... somewhat underlooked as a move that could potentially blow up in their face.
Couple notes on that:

- We don't run a pure 3-4, it's mostly a hybrid 3-4/4-3. We run a lot of nickel packages using 4 d-linemen, 2 LB'ers and 5 DB's(all our DB's are great tacklers).

- Our 3-4 isn't the patriots '2 gap responsibility' 3-4, we run the chargers 3-4(manusky chargers LB coach is our DC) where our d-linemen attack more than occupy a gap. Smith is perfect for that, he's also most likely going to slide in to defensive tackle on long passing downs. They've been targeting him since last season offseason, so I'm sure they've done their homework on his strengths and weaknesses.

- I'm really not worried about Justin Smith, my bigger concern for our d-line is the nose tackle spot. We were one of the better teams against the run last year(3.8 ypc tied for 4th) with undersized defensive ends(3.08 and 3.67 ypc on runs in their direction). The area where we gave up the higher ypc was up the middle, which is my biggest concern. Whoever our nose tackle is next season, whether it's isaac sopoaga or aubreyo franklin, they've got to do a better job clogging up the middle. Sopoaga, who came on very strong at the end of last year, looks like he might play at one DE spot, and I really don't trust franklin at all, I'm hoping we draft Pat Sims and put him NT.

Last edited by sup3rdup3r : 03-05-2008 at 04:48 AM.
sup3rdup3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I vote for the Raiders:

Spending $160ish million on Kelly, Wilson, Harris, and Walker is nigh on insane.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 AM    (permalink
scrylla
Rookie

scrylla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

First of all, I think this thread should stipulate that you cannot vote for your own team. The homerism in this thread is borderline unbearable. That being said, as a Browns fan myself..

BEST: Bills. Really like the additions.

WORST: Easily, EASILY Raiders. The Black Hole adds a bunch of average and over-rated injury-ridden guys that they immensely overpaid for. Should be a fun year watching them implode again!
scrylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Best news of the offseason for the skins, no signings in the first wave of big name free agents, plus we retained our backup QB and kicker, and are officially 8 mil under the cap.
That could be good or bad for you depending upon what the long term plan is for you guys. I agree the not spending is a pleasant suprise. However haven't many of the Skins fans implied that Zorn is just a one year fill and that this season could be a compelete wash. Could you just be purging the roster of the trash and freeing up money for 2009 when you can go get Cowher? That wouldn't be the worst plan in the world, but it wouldn't say much about the upcoming season for you guys.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

this crow taste gooooooood! ummmm!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
gdamac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
I vote for the Raiders:

Spending $160ish million on Kelly, Wilson, Harris, and Walker is nigh on insane.
well, technically it's the guaranteed money he will pay out. but it's still a butt load

Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Towever haven't many of the Skins fans implied that Zorn is just a one year fill and that this season could be a compelete wash.
im not sure where you heard that. im all over the skins board all the time and ive heard little to none of that kind of talk.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
McBain
Veteran

McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.McBain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
lawl. I remember the days when everyone was like "the skins will be in the cap hell next year" and then they would say the same thing the following year and we never really have been.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
im not sure where you heard that. im all over the skins board all the time and ive heard little to none of that kind of talk.
Some Redskins fans mentioned it here when they were deciding on a coach.