Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where doe he rank?
Best Ever 24 15.48%
Top 5 81 52.26%
Top 10 41 26.45%
Top 15 9 5.81%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is entirely unfair to rate QBs from before 1978 to those after. The rules changed so much to open up the passing game in 1978, not to mention the explosion of the WCO that it is impossible to compare QBs across all time.

My Post 1978 QBs
1. Elway
2. Favre
3. Marino
4. Montana
5. Manning
Old 03-04-2008, 01:10 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is in the top five for me. However, he is, BY FAR, the most exciting QB to watch in the span of my life so far, and most likely the who history of the NFL. I will miss him, and wish that he could have been around just a litlle longer.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

Empire hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
He's known for throwing +25 picks.
Oh really? How many times has he thrown more than 25 interceptions in a season? That's right, once in his entire career. So how exactly is he "known" for throwing "+25 picks." Everyone is allowed a down season or two. He's a gunslinger which makes him more prone to a higher interception count. But for every interception he throws he makes two or three plays that most other QB in the league wouldn't even consider making. That's what makes him special.

And he brought a lot of stability to the Packers franchise. He had just one sub .500 season in his career, making the Packers competitive year in and year out for a playoff spot. This despite the many Packer busts in the draft. Yes, Packer fans love Ron Wolf for creating the 1996 team, but he has his share of busts. John Michels, Terrell Buckley, Jonathan Brown, Ross Verba, Craig Newsome, Antuan Edwards. I could go on, but the point is that Favre brought a lot of stability to a franchise that constantly drafted poorly. And that is what makes him great.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Packers receivers in the future. Favre has shown in the past that he makes his receivers look better than they really are. Guys like Antonio Freeman and Bill Schroeder come to mind. We'll see if it's the same case with Jennings and Jones.
Empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Oh really? How many times has he thrown more than 25 interceptions in a season? That's right, once in his entire career. So how exactly is he "known" for throwing "+25 picks." Everyone is allowed a down season or two. He's a gunslinger which makes him more prone to a higher interception count. But for every interception he throws he makes two or three plays that most other QB in the league wouldn't even consider making. That's what makes him special.

And he brought a lot of stability to the Packers franchise. He had just one sub .500 season in his career, making the Packers competitive year in and year out for a playoff spot. This despite the many Packer busts in the draft. Yes, Packer fans love Ron Wolf for creating the 1996 team, but he has his share of busts. John Michels, Terrell Buckley, Jonathan Brown, Ross Verba, Craig Newsome, Antuan Edwards. I could go on, but the point is that Favre brought a lot of stability to a franchise that constantly drafted poorly. And that is what makes him great.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Packers receivers in the future. Favre has shown in the past that he makes his receivers look better than they really are. Guys like Antonio Freeman and Bill Schroeder come to mind. We'll see if it's the same case with Jennings and Jones.
haha empire wins

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portermvp84 View Post
He's known for throwing +25 picks.
That happened once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art vandelay
Top 10...how soon people forget how many INT's he had a few years ago though, lol.
Well considering he lost both guards to FA that we replaced with scrubs, lost our probowl WR (Javon Walker) for the season in the first game, our 2nd round pick and probable 3rd WR Terrence Murphy had a career ending injury, Robert Ferguson our then #2 WR was lost for the year after a couple games, our probowl TE (Franks) was put on IR, Ahman Green was injured after a couple games, and our #2 RB Najeh Davenport was lost right after Green it's not as bad as it gets made out to be. We picked up Rod Gardner midseason to be our starting WR and Andrae Thurman to be #3. When you have lost that many receiving options and are playing with guys you just picked up last week INTs are going to happen. I'm not saying that it should be dismissed all together, but it's not as nearly as horrible when you look at the whole situation.

I voted top 5 by the way.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

most INTs all time and the ***** slide that gave Strahan the sacks record is what I think of :D

easily top 5 though IMO

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...erbac ks.html

this site does a pretty good job of ranking the greatest qbs of all time. they've got favre ranked 10, and make a compelling case for all of the qbs they have listed
Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am in the minority, but I do not think he is top five, maybe not top ten. Maybe it is because I first watched football in 2004 and did not see all of his greatness, I'm not sure. But one of the main things I rank quarterbacks on is how much trust I have in him in the final two minutes of a game, or overtime. And since I have started watching football I get the same feeling with him that I got with Michael Vick- nervousness of a mistake. I always felt like he would throw an interception or try to make too big of a play, especially at the end of games.

Rep rape might commence, but that is just my opinion.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:13 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I am in the minority, but I do not think he is top five, maybe not top ten. Maybe it is because I first watched football in 2004 and did not see all of his greatness, I'm not sure. But one of the main things I rank quarterbacks on is how much trust I have in him in the final two minutes of a game, or overtime. And since I have started watching football I get the same feeling with him that I got with Michael Vick- nervousness of a mistake. I always felt like he would throw an interception or try to make too big of a play, especially at the end of games.

well since you said you started watching football in 2004 I won't hold it against you, but the point about not trusting him in the final 2 minutes doesn't work mainly because he is prolly top 5 in that category of all time

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by russie View Post
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...erbac ks.html

this site does a pretty good job of ranking the greatest qbs of all time. they've got favre ranked 10, and make a compelling case for all of the qbs they have listed
A list that tries to compare guys from different eras doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM    (permalink
russie
Veteran

russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.russie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
A list that tries to compare guys from different eras doesn't make much sense to me.
did you read it all? they dont really compare stats, but they do compare things like how many times they led in which ever catagories. like i said, they make a pretty compelling case for all the qbs
Old 03-04-2008, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Empire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by russie View Post
did you read it all? they dont really compare stats, but they do compare things like how many times they led in which ever catagories. like i said, they make a pretty compelling case for all the qbs
I never said anything about statistics. I was just talking about the QB position and how it is evolved radically from say Bart Starr's day. What makes a great QB today isn't what made a great QB 40 years ago. That's why QB should be compared to other QB from their era.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:32 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You started watching football in 2004?? How old are you 9???

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Sorry but you need to have watched longer than four years to get an opinion of who is the best ever. Which is why I won't be handing out judgments on the overall rankings of QB's since I've only been watching since 1996. But I do think that Favre is an automatic top ten, maybe top five based on his resume alone (even though that is a little hypocritcal of me to say with my prior statement thrown in).
Old 03-04-2008, 04:36 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I said top 5 because i don't consider myself to be completely knowledgeable on many of the older 'greats'.

His consecutive starts streak just boggles my mind every single time i see it. There is no way that ever gets broken. I mean come on, just think about it......how does that happen?!?

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:37 PM    (permalink
G-Men88
Rookie

G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.

Greatest Quarterback of all-time in my opinion
G-Men88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

u never saw the greatness that was brett favre. You would have had the chance to watch the game after his father died, but that's about it.

I'd be interested to hear about the QBs you put in front of him because based on what you've said, i don't know how u could know anything about any of the QBs that are considered to be 'greats' if you barely saw Favre. What is your basis for putting those others on the list at all? Did you see film on them but never both to check out Favre? Or do u just base your opinion on what you hear from others?

I'm not being rude, just would like to know.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a great judge since I never saw the man play, so I really shouldn't risk it, I'd say he's either right on the bubble for top 5 or in the top 5, really depends on what you value.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
afftbl10
Rookie

afftbl10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

you guys are holding his int's against him? but you guys all have marino in the top 5 w/o a ring?
1. montana
2. farve
3. unitas
4. brady
5. bradshaw
afftbl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by afftbl10 View Post
you guys are holding his int's against him? but you guys all have marino in the top 5 w/o a ring?
1. montana
2. farve
3. unitas
4. brady
5. bradshaw
yes rings mean everything...the fact that you think that and have Bradshaw and Brady ahead of Marino and Elway (Bradshaw that is) disqualifies you from making any kind of lists on this subject

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afftbl10 View Post
1. montana
2. farve
3. unitas
4. brady
5. bradshaw
I'm not a big fan of the ring argument. Football is too much of a team sport to say that a QB sucks because he never won the big one. Yes, it does make a QB look better in my eyes if he has won the Super Bowl but that's not the most important aspect in my eyes. I mean, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
I'm not a big fan of the ring argument. Football is too much of a team sport to say that a QB sucks because he never won the big one. Yes, it does make a QB look better in my eyes if he has won the Super Bowl but that's not the most important aspect in my eyes. I mean, Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Trent Dilfer.
when are people gonna stop mentioning Trent Dilfer in EVERY 'Qb's and rings' conversation?

(it's a good argument, but c'mon, be creative, surely there have been other crappy SB winners)

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
You started watching football in 2004?? How old are you 9???
16. Moved to Alabama and started watching and playing football.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:20 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
when are people gonna stop mentioning Trent Dilfer in EVERY 'Qb's and rings' conversation?

(it's a good argument, but c'mon, be creative, surely there have been other crappy SB winners)
yeah, why not Doug WIlliams
Favre, 1c
1a Unitas
1b Montana
1c Favre

But #1 in my heart

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
u never saw the greatness that was brett favre. You would have had the chance to watch the game after his father died, but that's about it.

I'd be interested to hear about the QBs you put in front of him because based on what you've said, i don't know how u could know anything about any of the QBs that are considered to be 'greats' if you barely saw Favre. What is your basis for putting those others on the list at all? Did you see film on them but never both to check out Favre? Or do u just base your opinion on what you hear from others?

I'm not being rude, just would like to know.
In no order...(of course off of what I hear for players not in this era)

Joe Montana
John Elway
Dan Marino
Fran Tarkenton
Steve Young
Johnny Unitas
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning

Sure them last two will get heck of a response, but I think right now it is debatable and by the end of their careers most probable that they will be ahead. I was contemplating Roger Staubach but decided against it.