Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where doe he rank?
Best Ever 24 15.48%
Top 5 81 52.26%
Top 10 41 26.45%
Top 15 9 5.81%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BamaFalcon59, how do expect to have any credibility if you have only been watching football for four years and have never seen most of those players play before???

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
G-Men88
Rookie

G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.G-Men88 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russie View Post
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...erbac ks.html

this site does a pretty good job of ranking the greatest qbs of all time. they've got favre ranked 10, and make a compelling case for all of the qbs they have listed
Any list that doesn't have Marino in the top 10 is a ok with me
G-Men88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
BamaFalcon59, how do expect to have any credibility if you have only been watching football for four years and have never seen most of those players play before???
I didn't ask for credibility. I gave my opinion to the question asked.

Not many people here saw YA Tittle play, so how can he be considered a top 30 QB of all time? Because people know his pedigree. It just so happens I saw some of Favres career, maybe not the most glamerous part of it, and was not impressed. Even this year, where it seemed half his balls thrown for touchdowns should have been intercepted.

Not saying he is not a great quarterback, but there are 5-10 guys I would take over him to lead my team in overtime.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:37 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post

Not many people here saw YA Tittle play, so how can he be considered a top 30 QB of all time? Because people know his pedigree. It just so happens I saw some of Favres career, maybe not the most glamerous part of it, and was not impressed. Even this year, where it seemed half his balls thrown for touchdowns should have been intercepted.

Not saying he is not a great quarterback, but there are 5-10 guys I would take over him to lead my team in overtime.
I saw a pic of YA Tittle's head bleading, that was enough evidence for me to consider him top 30! jk
sorry i went off track

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say Brett is definatly Top 10 all time, and could have a legit arguement for top 5.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like that site agrees with me.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
when are people gonna stop mentioning Trent Dilfer in EVERY 'Qb's and rings' conversation?

(it's a good argument, but c'mon, be creative, surely there have been other crappy SB winners)
Doug Williams. Jim McMahon.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:11 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Favre and Elway were the best two minute QBs in the 90s. Favre hasn't been too good at it the past few years though.

With Favre, you get either a win or an interception. I can't think of an OT game in the past probably 5 years that the Packers lost because they had to punt.

That last sentence is what made Favre great. He was able to fit balls into spaces no other QB could. Those ones that weren't ints were because defenders couldn't get their hands on it.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:14 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top 10 no doubt. Borderline top 5.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
Doug Williams. Jim McMahon.
mcmahon > dilfer....85 bears > that ravens team

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Favre and Elway were the best two minute QBs in the 90s. Favre hasn't been too good at it the past few years though.

With Favre, you get either a win or an interception. I can't think of an OT game in the past probably 5 years that the Packers lost because they had to punt.

That last sentence is what made Favre great. He was able to fit balls into spaces no other QB could. Those ones that weren't ints were because defenders couldn't get their hands on it.
San Diego, Minnesota, and Denver were won in the final 2 minutes or OT due to Favre. Three in one season is pretty damn good.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:30 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
San Diego, Minnesota, and Denver were won in the final 2 minutes or OT due to Favre. Three in one season is pretty damn good.
I think he ment 2005

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:34 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

I'd say he's around 6th or 7th... I think Paul Zimmerman's article over on SI.com summed it up very nicely. There's no doubt he was one of the all time greats, but I'm always going to remember thinking he could've been even better.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl9erfan View Post
I'd say he's around 6th or 7th... I think Paul Zimmerman's article over on SI.com summed it up very nicely. There's no doubt he was one of the all time greats, but I'm always going to remember thinking he could've been even better.
How could you say could have been better??? He set the multiple records and never missed a game. Yes he threw many interceptions but that was his style the gunslinger type it was exspected from him. Yes he had some off field issues early on but who doesnt have problems... No one can be perfect.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:59 AM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top 3 IMO

1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Favre
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:01 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I barely rank him Top Five. After Brady retires, Favre is out. Mine is:

1. Dan Marino
2. Joe Montana
3. Johnny Unitas
4. John Elway
5. Brett Favre

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Favre is number one. He did everything you could want from your quarterback. Just think what he could have doe if he ever had a playmaker like jerry rice. Could someone explain how Marino over Favre is possible? Favre broke al his records and has the ring to go with it.
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
Favre is number one. He did everything you could want from your quarterback. Just think what he could have doe if he ever had a playmaker like jerry rice. Could someone explain how Marino over Favre is possible? Favre broke al his records and has the ring to go with it.
People will use the INT argument. Favre had 1 more int per 400 passes. That means he only averaged 1 INT more a year than Marino.

I don't understand how Marino can be above Favre either.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
what about if marino had a team eh? he had nothin!

I agree with duckseason though
post 78 **** changed so much. that it's really an unfair compairson if you say 'passer'

1) Montana
2) Favre
3) Elway
4) Marino
5) Brady

6) Young

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
what about if marino had a team eh? he had nothin!

I agree with duckseason though
post 78 **** changed so much. that it's really an unfair compairson if you say 'passer'

1) Montana
2) Favre
3) Elway
4) Marino
5) Brady

6) Young
It isn't like Favre had a whole lot. Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks those names don't strike fear in anyones heart. Edgar Bennet, Dorsey Levens... Favre has played with one HOFer, and he was a defensive end(Sterling Sharpe was well on his way, but Favre only played with him his first 3 years.)
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i also think johnny u is legendary only because of his name, not because he was... 'that great' otto graham was that great. johnny u just had the right marketing story for the NFL to create the 'legend'.

Bogus. Sure, he was good, but not that good.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
It isn't like Favre had a whole lot. Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks those names don't strike fear in anyones heart. Edgar Bennet, Dorsey Levens... Favre has played with one HOFer, and he was a defensive end(Sterling Sharpe was well on his way, but Favre only played with him his first 3 years.)
oh i know. oh. i know.

marino doesn't get much love because of it.
neither does favre.
if either favre or marino had a marvin harrison and a james most of their careers. i'd say, they would look better than montana possible. i know it's a shoulda-coulda-woulda phenomenal. but it still stands to reason, it's a team game, when you factor in the 'team' element, many players seem less bad.

It's the same reason why brady will always rank better than manning in my book. If it comes to similar skill, look at the players around him.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He was definitely the best QB of the mid to late 90s. From 1994-97/98 no QB was even close to him. Elway was a better QB than Favre, yes, but not by the 90s. I think Favre edges out Marino anyway though.
I wouldn't say "not even close". Steve Young's 1994 season was superb. He even won the MVP that season. And Elway played at a very high level as well. Not to mention Aikman.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Last edited by Ness : 03-05-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I wouldn't say "not even close". Steve Young's 1994 season was superb. He even won the MVP that season. And Elway played at a very high level as well. Not to mention Aikman.
I meant over the course of those years. Favre's '94 wasn't as good as his next 3 years, but it was still a superb year. I don't think any QB in history has had a three year stretch like Favre did. Don't mention Aikman in this, it was a crime he was a first ballot HOFer. There were probably 15 other QBs in the league that could have done what Aikman did.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You would think, after doing it for 16 years, that eventually it would cease to be luck, and actually be looked at as skill. But, I can't expect somebody who's only watched football for FOUR years, who probably doesn't completely understand the game, to comprehend that.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote