Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Atlanta Falcons pick?

At first I thought for sure they would take Matt Ryan, then they had interest in Jake Long. Now they have little to no depth at DT since they let one of their best DT's go and another DT just got a serious injury.

This pick could go a number of ways. It could be Ryan, Long, Dorsey or Ellis IMO.

Falcons fans or anyone, what are your thoughts?

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:56 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

i think there need at the Tackle is still way bigger need the Defensive Tackle
LT is one of the most important postion in the game so who ever there
qb will be will need to e protected so i cant see them passing on Long

also Derrick Johnson will never be Derrick Thomas your sig ...
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I have been saying Matt Ryan since November and I am sticking to it. Falcons fans were convinced they'd get McFadden as their "new face of the franchise" which seemed odd in countless fashions (scar) but Ryan simply makes too much sense here.

I don't see either DT going here....it's gonna be Ryan or Long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:05 PM    (permalink
foozball
Veteran

foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.

jake long if he's there. they just signed turner to a big contract and they need to give him some help. theyll draft a QB in round 2 so they have to give him some help too. long makes the most sense.

i think the difference in QB talent from round 1 to round 2 is smaller than the difference in OT talent from Long to Nicks/Baker or whoever the best OT available
foozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

With a new OC in Mike Mularkey installing a power running game (Micheal Turner) if Jake Long is available he will be the pick we can go QB in the 2nd round or draft Brohm if he slips which is highly possible.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope for Jake Long, I expect Matt Ryan.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:17 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think process of elimination makes their pick easier, Id probably say Jake Long and Matt Ryan are going to be rated higher then either DT, so whoever is left out of Ryan and Long will be the choice...I dont see any scenarios where they both would be on the board, so whoever is the guy there they take...I hope its Jake Long, I have always been high on Blalock and Long on the same side would be a great situation for any qb to walk into with some weapons on offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

It will almost certainly be any one of Long, Dorsey or Ryan. There won't be any hints from FA, unless they make a big time trade for a QB. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:15 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well the Falcons just cut Harrington. It's looking more and more like Ryan to me

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:17 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Well the Falcons just cut Harrington. It's looking more and more like Ryan to me

I don't think it signals anything. He wasn't going to start even if he was on the team.

I'd like Dorsey or Long, but it's going to be Ryan.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM    (permalink
foozball
Veteran

foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.

they could take long if he's there and trade up to the late middle of round 1 to take brohm if he's still up there with their 2 2nd rounders. or wait for henne or flacco
foozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ok, they cut two of their potential starting QB's, their former starting QB is in jail and their current starting QB is Chris Redman BUT, they cut their premier, former pro-bowl starting DT, another one of their DT's is injured, and their head coach is a former defensive coordinator for one of the most dominants DL's in a while BUT, their offensive line sucks.

WTF??????????

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:53 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It all depends on the Pro Days. Whomever grades out the highest after that I'll figure they'll take, considering the great need at all three positions. Also depends on how the 2nd round prospects grade out to see what kind of value they could get then. Whether they take a QB in the first or the second, that same sort of pressure will be there, so I don't think it really matters in that sense. If Dorsey proves to be healthy and really impresses at his Pro Day, I would expect him over the other two, however.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As of now, I don't expect Matt Ryan to be on the board at 3. If he is, I think that's the route they go. I also don't expect Dimitroff to deal up, unless it's a good deal.

There seems to be some rumblings that the Rams may still look Jake Long, but I doubt that. Thus, I think it's going to come down to Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey, with the decision perhaps coming down to Dorsey's medicals. If they are good, my guess is that they'll go Dorsey to build that D. Both the Patriots and the Jaguars were not organizations that drafted OL in the first that often. Granted, Mangini and the Jets doubled up on OL, but in this case, it's a scout from the Patriots, and not a coach. Big difference.

That said, it's close, and if Dorsey's medicals are in any way worrisome, then it's probably Long.

Still some time to go, although I think the top teams all have rough ideas of what they wish to do.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post
Ok, they cut two of their potential starting QB's, their former starting QB is in jail and their current starting QB is Chris Redman BUT, they cut their premier, former pro-bowl starting DT, another one of their DT's is injured, and their head coach is a former defensive coordinator for one of the most dominants DL's in a while BUT, their offensive line sucks.

WTF??????????
lol...way to clear up the situation and answer the guys question. That was one of the funnier posts ive read in a whille.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
As of now, I don't expect Matt Ryan to be on the board at 3. If he is, I think that's the route they go. I also don't expect Dimitroff to deal up, unless it's a good deal.

There seems to be some rumblings that the Rams may still look Jake Long, but I doubt that. Thus, I think it's going to come down to Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey, with the decision perhaps coming down to Dorsey's medicals. If they are good, my guess is that they'll go Dorsey to build that D. Both the Patriots and the Jaguars were not organizations that drafted OL in the first that often. Granted, Mangini and the Jets doubled up on OL, but in this case, it's a scout from the Patriots, and not a coach. Big difference.

That said, it's close, and if Dorsey's medicals are in any way worrisome, then it's probably Long.

Still some time to go, although I think the top teams all have rough ideas of what they wish to do.
you think miami or stl will draft ryan?
JeffSamardzijaIRISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:54 PM    (permalink
megansett56BC
Rookie

megansett56BC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i know this is obvious, no matter which way they go (dorsey/ellis, long or ryan) they're still going to have huge holes at the positions they did not address, and they will have to take care of those holes with their 2nd round picks (at least barring a BPA scenario they can't pass up).

at the same time, if ryan's on the board, I don't think they can pass him up for several reasons. while any other year, he likely wouldn't be the first quarterback taken, and you can debate all you want about his decision making, but you can't deny his character and leadership skills. i know first hand that ryan spends a lot of time helping out with volunteer organizations on campus and is one of our only guys that doesn't clown around at all. with the vick fiasco, i don't think they can pass on a high character leader at that position.

moreover, mularkey is a former QB, and with some coaching, i think ryan can become an above average starting QB. granted, with the third overall you should get a superstar, but we all know those a few and far between.

Belichick might be an a-hole... but I'd rather have an a-hole that wins than one that doesn't.
megansett56BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM    (permalink
OregonDucks
Rookie

OregonDucks is a cocksman.OregonDucks is a cocksman.OregonDucks is a cocksman.

PLease dont take ellis. I want the raiders to take him.
OregonDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:05 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvot9 View Post

WTF??????????

Rod Coleman was making a bunch of money, and couldn't stay on the field.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think the Falcons should take Dorsey at 3 if those injury concerns are legit, they need the safest pick possible in the 1st rd, the last thing they need to worry about is this first pick not panning out and setting them back even more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I dont think the Falcons should take Dorsey at 3 if those injury concerns are legit, they need the safest pick possible in the 1st rd, the last thing they need to worry about is this first pick not panning out and setting them back even more...

He could still be a great pick. If Jamaal Anderson plays decent, our D-Line becomes very nice.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
I have been saying Matt Ryan since November and I am sticking to it. Falcons fans were convinced they'd get McFadden as their "new face of the franchise" which seemed odd in countless fashions (scar) but Ryan simply makes too much sense here.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Our new GM has publicly criticized the idea of taking a QB with a top 5 pick.

You doubt we go DT yet our new defensive coordinator came from a team where the staple of their defense was a pair of stud DTs in Stroud and Henderson.

We have a new GM that came from the Pats franchise that started their dynasty in the draft by getting Richard Seymour (followed by Matt Light).

No way in hell we take that overrated QB that the media is trying to sell to us
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansett56BC View Post
while any other year, he likely wouldn't be the first quarterback taken, and you can debate all you want about his decision making, but you can't deny his character and leadership skills.
Based on merit, Ryan wouldn't sniff the first round in ANY draft.

Based on hype he's going to be a top 10 pick.

Character and leadership skills? Warrick Dunn has high character and great leadership skills but he can't play the game of football anymore or at least not at a high level.

It's unlikely Matt Ryan will EVER play it at a high level because poor decision making skills and average physical tools completely negate these so called intangibles that everyone is trying to sell.

It doesn't matter how much charisma Matt Ryan has in a huddle or on the sidelines if he's constantly throwing the ball to the opposing team.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe ATL should trade their first to Dallas for their 2 firsts and get Ryan and a DT. I bet Ryan would still be available by then

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post

it's gonna be Dorsey then Long than Ryan.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote