Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 03-05-2008, 07:38 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Maybe ATL should trade their first to Dallas for their 2 firsts and get Ryan and a DT. I bet Ryan would still be available by then
Problem is those two picks are not even close to the value of the 3rd pick.

That and the fact that we should not touch that QB with a 10 foot pole
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:56 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
you think miami or stl will draft ryan?
My expectation right now is Miami. St. Louis isn't in the market for a QB that high.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I dont think the Falcons should take Dorsey at 3 if those injury concerns are legit, they need the safest pick possible in the 1st rd, the last thing they need to worry about is this first pick not panning out and setting them back even more...
If the medicals are bad, then yes, I'd pass on Dorsey. Most of what we hear is 2nd hand and none of us know the intent of said rumors. If Dorsey is cleared on their medicals, then it's tough to pass. I've said it before, but when healthy, I think he's the only elite talent in the draft, the best UT in the draft and a guy that's capable of 2-gapping in a 4-3 at a solid level. For a guy like Smith, that would be huge. For Dimitroff, shoring up the lines with that type of talent would be superb, particularly since he should have gameplanned enough to know that the 2nd tier DT has a bigger dropoff in value than the 2nd tier OT's, comparatively.

Comes down to the medicals.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's going to be Jake Long, just because I don't think Matt Ryan will be there.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 PM    (permalink
FizzyFalcons
Rookie

FizzyFalcons hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Jake Long or Dorsey, just because I think MIA is gonna take Ryan #1
I'd prefer Long then Brohm/Flacco/Henne with one of our two 2nd rounders
Old 03-06-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
PossumBoy9
Rookie

PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
There seems to be some rumblings that the Rams may still look Jake Long, but I doubt that. Thus, I think it's going to come down to Jake Long or Glenn Dorsey, with the decision perhaps coming down to Dorsey's medicals. If they are good, my guess is that they'll go Dorsey to build that D.
A local Rams writer believes the Rams are warming to Gholston, so I think he'll be in the mix if Chris Long goes #1. He believes they may not necessarily want to take VG at #2 overall, though.

He believes they're cooling on Dorsey.

The Longs are probably the favorites for #2 overall right now.

Last edited by PossumBoy9 : 03-06-2008 at 02:09 PM.
PossumBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:09 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jake Long, I think, is number 1 on their boards right now. He would help us establish ourselves as a running team and we could address the QB issue later (either later in this draft, or the next).

I think Matt Ryan keeps slipping on the boards though. I think with the injury to Lewis, the chance we take Ellis or Dorsey is alot higher than it used to be. They may have even jumped Ryan.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My expectation right now is Miami. St. Louis isn't in the market for a QB that high.
miami should've taken Brady Quinn last year... what a stupid move by cameron thinking Beck, no wonder he's gone
JeffSamardzijaIRISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

For the Falcons right now I must say that CURRENTLY my big board is

1.) Jake Long
2.) Glen Dorsey *I'm not liking the injury concerns but I do love that he played through them and was still insanely good*
3.) Sedric Ellis
4.) Ryan Clady

If Glen Dorsey is given a clean bill of health by the Atlanta Falcons medical staff my big board would then look like this.

1.) Glen Dorsey
2.) Jake Long
3.) Sedric Ellis
4.) Ryan Clady

Jake Long is actually my favorite player for the Falcons, but if Dorsey is there now given the injury to Trey Lewis I think we can snag a Carl Nicks in the 2nd round and still give ourselves enough help on the OL while Pat Sims in the top of round 2 is a nice option, I think that it could be the best overall value. Meaning I think the discrepancy between Jake Long and Carl Nicks is LESS than that of Glen Dorsey vs Pat Sims.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, there is no need for a 4th person on the big board for our first round pick unless we trade down...

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 03-06-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, no need for a fourth player (for round one anyways). And Clady would be a horrible reach. There is no way we have Clady, a weak based tackle who is also raw, above Matt Ryan. And if we do we are just continuing to be the same old dumb Falcons.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I think Miami is taking Jake Long, there is alot of talk down here about Carey back to Right Tackle where he could be a pro bowler every year. Building up the online which has 2 big holes in it right now (LT and OG)
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say Jake Long for sure, but I think St.Louis takes him. Matt Ryan would make sense, but I get the feeling that they'll take Glenn Dorsey instead. John Clayton seems to think they'll not take Ryan either from what he's heard. They could probably get Brohm, Henne, or Flacco in round two at just as good a value.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't get all this trading up to #1 for Matt Ryan talk when nobody thinks the dolphins are going to take him. The falcons have way to many holes to give up what it would take to move up to #1. Not to mention I think the fans might start a riot.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
I just don't get all this trading up to #1 for Matt Ryan talk when nobody thinks the dolphins are going to take him. The falcons have way to many holes to give up what it would take to move up to #1. Not to mention I think the fans might start a riot.
Im telling you Matt Ryan must be related to some scouts or something because the hype around this kid is unprecedented for someone who is so undeserving of this much hype.

I mean the idea that he could be the #1 pick or the idea that the Falcons could trade up to the #1 spot and take him, it's beyond absurd.

This guy based on merit is not even worth a 1st round pick and we're talking #1 overall.

Unbelievable how the media flexes it's power to hype someone up.
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I'd say Jake Long for sure, but I think St.Louis takes him. Matt Ryan would make sense, but I get the feeling that they'll take Glenn Dorsey instead. John Clayton seems to think they'll not take Ryan either from what he's heard. They could probably get Brohm, Henne, or Flacco in round two at just as good a value.
And so who is gonna pick Ryan?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:07 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

In one of my mocks, I had Miami and Atlanta not taking Ryan. He fell all the way to 14 to the Panthers.

If Ryan falls past Atlanta, I think either the Ravens or Panthers grab him (barring trade up).

Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 PM    (permalink
FizzyFalcons
Rookie

FizzyFalcons hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He aint goin past the Ravens dog.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm thinkin the Ravens fall in love with him and move up with Atlanta at #3 or St. Louis at #2 to get him. It may be wishful thinking...but to trade down from #3 to #8 and still get Dorsey and pickup an extra pick or 2 in the process...seems pretty ideal.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:10 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
And so who is gonna pick Ryan?
Baltimore, even though in my personal opinion they shouldn't take a QB in this draft. The Ravens should get a veteran who can start via trade and develop Troy Smith and a lot of Baltimore fans agree with me there. Atlanta should do what I think they're gonna do- draft a lineman at #3 and then draft a QB in round two whether it be Brian Brohm or Joe Flacco, or even Chad Henne.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Ryan doesn't need to be selected in the top 10 or even top 15 he needs to slip a LONG way in this draft because he's simply not that good. I think there's a lot of hype around him this year because he was able to win some games, but he gets credit for a better team than people give them credit for. He's the leader and had a couple impressive drives, but he had some real screw ups too. So, while I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Baltimore (and honestly I think they may get antsy and want to swap with Atlanta) I think he SHOULDN'T go that high.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Ryan doesn't need to be selected in the top 10 or even top 15 he needs to slip a LONG way in this draft because he's simply not that good. I think there's a lot of hype around him this year because he was able to win some games, but he gets credit for a better team than people give them credit for. He's the leader and had a couple impressive drives, but he had some real screw ups too. So, while I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Baltimore (and honestly I think they may get antsy and want to swap with Atlanta) I think he SHOULDN'T go that high.
That Boston College team was average. The running game was nonexistant, the recievers were below average, the tight ends were below average, and outside of a couple good players the defense was average as well (Jaime Silva, Dijuan Tribble; the run defense was good but they did not play any impressive running teams).

You can say Ryan is overrated, I think he is more of a 5-10 range guy, but saying that Boston College team was good is not true.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:51 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

You're just proving my point for me. None of those guys got national attention, it was a solid TEAM, a solid TEAM makes the QB / WR / RB whoever the big name guy is for that team look better than they really are because they play together well and hide flaws. While they may not be a prolific team, BC was a solid squad...they should have been 10-3 losing both times to VT...however...they pulled it out because of Overrated's play in the first game. It's not something you can count on happening all the time, but the team itself had a good core of players and built a successful season because of it. But thanks for proving my point. I was talking about the team, not the strengths of individuals.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:31 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
You're just proving my point for me. None of those guys got national attention, it was a solid TEAM, a solid TEAM makes the QB / WR / RB whoever the big name guy is for that team look better than they really are because they play together well and hide flaws. While they may not be a prolific team, BC was a solid squad...they should have been 10-3 losing both times to VT...however...they pulled it out because of Overrated's play in the first game. It's not something you can count on happening all the time, but the team itself had a good core of players and built a successful season because of it. But thanks for proving my point. I was talking about the team, not the strengths of individuals.
What part of the offensive 'team' played above average besides Matt Ryan? None of them. Andre Callender, the RB, had an okay year statistically but they could not even rely on him on third and short or to keep the clock moving. The offensive line was bad. The wide receivers were bad.

If you ever watched Boston College play, which from how you talk about Matt Ryan I doubt you did, you know he made that offense.

I do not know if Ryan will be a great NFL player. I think he has a significant chance of busting in the NFL, but I also think he could be very good. But saying that Boston College team, or more specifically offense, was even above average without Ryan is naive (sp). He made that team be successful, offensively at least.