Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mawae was showing signs of slowing down a lot though. They did draft Harris from NC State though as the future center, apparently he is doing well and could crack the starting lineup this season. This is why a signing like Scott was terribly important (arguably much more than WR).
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Well, it won't hurt the Colts because they already have players who could step in. So the move worked for them.

Scott is going to play right guard for the Titans, right? I can't see him at left guard, nevermind what rotoworld says because they doesn't know **** most of the time. Benji Olson is going to retire I read, which allows for Scott to step in at RG, and then have one of their guys in Amano or Harris step in at LG for the departing Bell.
Why would he be fine at RG and not LG? He said he's played both and it's no difference to him. This isn't like RT to LT.

I watched him close a little on my dvr after I heard he was signed. He plays very similar to Bell to me. I don't expect much change.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't recall if/when Scott played LG for the Colts. If you could tell me, I would appreciate it.

He played RG, and RT if necessary. As a Colts fan, I hope the Titans do play him at LG though.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To say there's no difference between left guard and right guard is ignorant.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I can't recall if/when Scott played LG for the Colts. If you could tell me, I would appreciate it.

He played RG, and RT if necessary. As a Colts fan, I hope the Titans do play him at LG though.
Jake Scott said: Itís never been a big issue for me to move from one position to another. Throughout college I played both sides. We played on a line where we flipped sides, so I played both right and left going through college. And I played a little bit of left guard while Iíve been in Indy. To me, it just really isnít much of an issue.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
To say there's no difference between left guard and right guard is ignorant.
Well I'm sure you're not ignorant, so please grace us all with your knowledge.

I pay attention to o-line, and I've never heard this being a big deal.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Well I'm sure you're not ignorant, so please grace us all with your knowledge.

I pay attention to o-line, and I've never heard this being a big deal.
The left guard needs to be much more athletic, as they usually do the majority of pulling in almost every offensive scheme. I'm sure there are some teams that frequently pull from both sides, but I can't think of any. The left guard also needs to be a better pass blocker, as they are protecting the blind side. This is why they line up across the UT, and the RG lines up across the NT. The UT is traditionally a much better pass-rushed (Warren Sapp, Tommie Harris, etc)

This is why the majority of guards that are well known, and better paid, are left guards. I believe Leonard Davis is a right guard, as is Shawn Andrews, but that's about all I can think of. It's a much easier spot to fill because there are more fat guys that can simply push forward than there are guys with nimble feet and mobility.

So, if Scott can play left guard, good for him. Hopefully that's what the Titans are paying him for, because to pay him less than what Bell got (I believe it's less, could be wrong) is a mistake.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Paying him less than Bell is a mistake? eh?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I meant more, sorry.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I just checked the numbers and Bell is making more. Which makes sense. Scott should replace Benji Olson as Geo said, which is a fine move.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

Oh, heh, probably should have realized that. Yeah it was less - not only per year but years wise too (6 v 4). Less guaranteed, less yearly money, and at least not a definite downgrade - could be an upgrade. Have to wait and see on that, although it probably won't be easy to see it as a distinct upgrade unless Scott is dominant, which seems unlikely. I'd say it's likely the Titans just kept the same or a similar level of ability inside the OL and paid less than what it would have cost to keep Bell.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Howard Mudd is a great OL Coach, but I hold Mike Munchak in very high regards as well. If Scott is a Mudd-creation, I have every confidence that Munch can have success with him as well, especially considering the players he'll be lined up with.

As far as the signing goes, I'm fine with it. I like that Scott has shown that he's been able to stay healthy, which Jacob Bell had problems with at the end of last season. Plus, he's a proven starter coming from a good offensive line, which happens to be in our division, which makes it even better. It's always good to take a starter away from a rival, as if that player wasn't that good, he likely would have been sat in favor for the superior player. Scott's size worries me a bit. He's Bell's weight, nearly the same height, but he's best suited for RG instead of LG. Benji Olsen has manned the RG spot for as long as I can remember, and he's a good 320 lbs. But perhaps we need a lighter, faster OG to be able to block downfield for Vince's scrambling... And that's still not to say he won't be put at LG... Bah!

Anyway, we have Roos and Stewart at OT, with Loper as backup. Not for certain at OG, but it's looking like Scott and Leroy Harris, with Eugene Amano as backup (Though I hate Amano at G), and Mawae at OC, with Amano as backup. Amano is the future at C, and I believe Harris is already on TitansOnline's Depth Chart as the starting LG. So it's gonna potentially be Roos/Harris/Mawae/Scott/Stewart. That registers well with me. I assume we'll draft another interior lineman late in the 2nd Day too.

Either way, this signing gives us more flexibility in the Draft. Instead of keeping our eye out for a Guard in RD's 2-4, we can now focus our attention on other areas.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 03-11-2008 at 10:59 PM.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:33 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
The left guard needs to be much more athletic, as they usually do the majority of pulling in almost every offensive scheme. I'm sure there are some teams that frequently pull from both sides, but I can't think of any. The left guard also needs to be a better pass blocker, as they are protecting the blind side. This is why they line up across the UT, and the RG lines up across the NT. The UT is traditionally a much better pass-rushed (Warren Sapp, Tommie Harris, etc)

This is why the majority of guards that are well known, and better paid, are left guards. I believe Leonard Davis is a right guard, as is Shawn Andrews, but that's about all I can think of. It's a much easier spot to fill because there are more fat guys that can simply push forward than there are guys with nimble feet and mobility.

So, if Scott can play left guard, good for him. Hopefully that's what the Titans are paying him for, because to pay him less than what Bell got (I believe it's less, could be wrong) is a mistake.
It's usually the other way around. Usually,the UT is lined up outside shade of the right guard, while the NT is lined up in the gap between the left guard and center. It forces the C to help the LG with the NT in the gap and frees a one on one matchup with the LT and RE. It also makes it harder to scheme for a double team on the UT.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Of the teams I've followed, I've seen d-lineman swap positions many times. Or how they rush is different. The matchup against the o-line changes a lot. Regardless, Scott is more like Bell than Olsen. If we did so well with Bell on the left, we should with Scott there. But in the likely event Olsen retires, Scott will probably go right. Either way, it doesn't sound like they are afraid to put him anywhere, and we've had OG's move around here.

Titanhope, Bell and Scott are almost exactly the same size....listed size anyway. Where did you get Scott was 5" taller?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:52 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

The similarities between Bell and Scott are almost silly in occurance - both almost the same size (295lb, Bell 6'4" Scott 6'5"), both are similar styled players, both were not only drafted in 2004 and not only in the 5th round, but actually 3 picks apart. Almost the same first name. Birthday's about a month apart.

Oh and when searching their names in Google, the Wikipedia link return for both leads to another person with the same name (Jacob Bell the 'British pharmaceutical chemist' and Jake Scott the ex-Dolphins safety) :)
Old 03-11-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe Scott does work out at LG for the Titans. It will be interesting to see how it works.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
It's usually the other way around. Usually,the UT is lined up outside shade of the right guard, while the NT is lined up in the gap between the left guard and center. It forces the C to help the LG with the NT in the gap and frees a one on one matchup with the LT and RE. It also makes it harder to scheme for a double team on the UT.
Yes, this is correct. The UT, in football terms, will play the 'B' gap, where the NT will play the 'A'.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Titanhope, Bell and Scott are almost exactly the same size....listed size anyway. Where did you get Scott was 5" taller?
I was reading an article on the NFL website, and I could have sworn it said that Scott was 6'9. The abnormal height itself registered odd to me, and I believe I checked it twice and saw 6'9 again. But note that I am also on a different computer currently, whose monitor is stationed about twice as far away from where I sit. And someone said that Scott played RT too, so I figured the large height was a part of his G/T capabilities, so it at least made a little sense at the time.

Looking back on it, I dunno what I was thinkin... *takes another shot and takes another toke* ...aw yeah...I shouldn'ta' done dis man...

As for the great debate of where lineman lineup, I always believed it was RE/LT, UT/LG, NT/C+RG, LE/RT. Then there are TE and RB's who can stay in to block. But yeah, the UT lines up across from the LG, and the NT lines up between the C and RG, which leaves the Ends and Tackles on the edges.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote