Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jets Spending Spree

I know this thread is a little late, but I heard this week the Jets had Ty Law in. The Jets have spent a remarkable amount of money this off season plain and simple. Personally I think this is the wrong way to build a long term contender. Obviously for next season the Jets are a much better team, however, losing draft picks and signing veterans to big contracts just seems to a bad idea.What is everyone's view on the Jets eventful off season?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

The way the pats are playing they need to improve now not later, if they ever want to win the division. I thnk they did very well this offseason. And if they make the right pick in round one( by right pick I mean someone that can make a difference right away) and Clemons has a breakout season. They could be in the playoffs next come the end of the year. IMO

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:24 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said already that I think the Jets had a laughably bad offseason. A bunch of money for guys like Calvin Pace and Damien Woody. They still won't make the playoffs.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if this offseason was coupled with an attention on the future, then I'd applaud them. I like the Calvin Pace signing a lot, and Woody/Faneca are OL immediate upgrades to protect their young QB. A solid draft focused on the future, and the team is in very good shape.

That said, I expect them to try and mix and match it. I expect they'll try to fill immediate holes (CB/FS/ILB/WR perhaps) while also building a young core around Clemens (thus, I wouldn't be surprised with a RB pick even though they have signed Chatman and have Jones/Washington; certainly WR is a future move, and I could see them net a TE).

Personally, I would still like to see them focus early on adding at least 1 DL guy, along with an edge guy. Add a developmental tackle as well.

I'm not sure they'll go edge that early, though. With Pace at one spot, and having to pay Thomas, I think they may opt to wait a bit on it.

That said, just speculation, so only time will tell.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I've said already that I think the Jets had a laughably bad offseason. A bunch of money for guys like Calvin Pace and Damien Woody. They still won't make the playoffs.
I don't know, bud. I think they are, I'm penciling them (or Buffalo) for the 6th seed maybe.

Faneca and Woody, well moreso Faneca, bring a lot to the OL. They are going to help the offense a great deal, Thomas Jones especially has a better chance to succeed like he can.

Does Jenkins do the same for the defense? Can't be any worse than it was with Robertson, who really belongs in a 4-3. Pace ... I mean it's not like I can tell the guy from Adam, but he should be a good LOLB.

Mangenius is getting the defense turned around in his image, honestly I think he's only a few pieces away. I really do. If they can take Gholston with the 6th overall pick, that's one big piece, but we'll see the board works out come late April.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know, we've discussed this before. I've got the Bills ahead of the Jets right now. The Jets could have a great draft and change my mind though. They need another corner, and probably two more linebackers (inside and outside). Drafting Darren McFadden wouldn't hurt either.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:02 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The defense was doing good things as the year progressed, I believe. Trading for both Revis and Harris was very costly, but they got quality players that they will hang onto.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I root ridiculously hard for the Bills, but I'm worried about the change in offensive coordinator from Steve Fairchild. Don't overlook it imo, especially when the offense already had a difficult time putting points on the board before.

Still, Trent Edwards is a big upgrade over Losman, who couldn't even hit wide open receivers on moderate routes right.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

No I think the Jets had a great draft last year and the year before. That's the thing I don't get. It's as if they lost their confidence in the draft and just threw a bunch of money around for no reason.

The only signing I liked was Faneca purely as a value signing, but it's really with an emphasis on the now, and the now to me isn't even in the playoffs, let alone competing for a title.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I agree. I expect that from their GM who isn't good, but Mangenius doesn't have to worry about job security. Or at least he shouldn't imo, I would commit to him for at least five full years. Especially as he's building a 3-4 defense to win.

Interesting that they haven't moved Pennington, maybe he starts again to help them get back to the playoffs. Having a better OL as opposed to a gaping hole at LG tremendously helps whoever is at quarterback.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I'm generally not one to say how good a gree agency period is until i actually see the impact they have on the team, but i can make a few tongue in cheek comments here.

I think the player who has the potential to have the biggest impact will be jenkins, however i feel faneca will have the biggest impact. He got a large 5 year contract, but if you look how it was structured, if he isn't playing up to his probowl caliber level he will only see 4 years of the deal. He will not only bring an immediate increase in play over our previous human turnstyle of a LG, but potentially increase the play of Mangold and Dbrick. As far as he stays healthy, and he always has, he'll be a good addition.

I was surprised that Woody got the contract he did, but mangini tried getting him the previous year so he must see something in him. I didn't see him play RT, but i heard he did a decent job. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the jets draft a RT in the top of the 2nd round and slide woody into RG, which would leave brandon moore as a very solid backup. Having Callahan on the team i wouldn't be surprised if the jets took nicks in the 2nd or move up into the 3rd if nicks drops.

Pace was given a large contract but only 11ish million was guaranteed compared to the 22 that was reported. Yes he is due a 9 million dollar roster bonus in 09, which he most certainly will get, but it leaves them an out if he flops. He looked good from the one game i saw him, but i'm not sure how they are going to use him. If they plan on him being their rushOLB, or if they'll slide him inside if they get a gholston.

I think the signing of tony richardson will do wonders for the running game; if they end up getting dmac, richardson could easily be leading a new rookie sensation to a 1000 yards.

On paper they filled a lot of holes, which gives them flexibility entering the draft to get BPA, but that of course is just on paper. I guess we'll see what type of impact these guys have in the coming year. (i also think that the browns are in a similar situation when they took some players in free agency who have the potential of having a huge impact on their team)

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:15 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, on the OL signings, and argument can be made that they are intending to go with Clemens, and the veterans will be more ready to help. And a case can be made that, on Pace, they might've really loved the fit, which is understandable. The Jenkins trade might be a reflection on their perception of their ability to get DT options in the draft, or the fact that netting Jenkins for said cost was a much more effective move than drafting a youngster with a higher pick.

I mean, they still have most of their picks. This isn't exactly tossing the draft away.

As of now, I'd take Buffalo over New York Jets as well. Their QB situation is a bit more settled, their skill positions are better, and their OL isn't the far off. Defensively, they know their scheme and health is the only factor. The move to Schonert might allow them to take more chances downfield, and the fact that he has a superb rapport with Trent Edwards, by most accounts, shouldn't be underrated.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe someone is worried about their job?

Honestly, I love the way the have built their Oline even though I think the Woody signing was irresponsible.

Now the question is since you've built an above average offensive line do you plug in your mediocre back (Thomas Jones) and watch him become above average or do you plug in an above average back (Darren McFadden) and watch him become a star?

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

I'd say the answer is that you draft a young RB and work both of them together to protect your QB.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Maybe someone is worried about their job?

Honestly, I love the way the have built their Oline even though I think the Woody signing was irresponsible.

Now the question is since you've built an above average offensive line do you plug in your mediocre back (Thomas Jones) and watch him become above average or do you plug in an above average back (Darren McFadden) and watch him become a star?
I think it depends upon the options available at the 6th pick. If McFadden is there and no one offers good value for the pick, I fully expect mcfadden to be taken. If chatman shows his ability to stay in shape and produce, it could make TJ become expendable. A platoon of mcfadden, leon and chatman would cover most of the bases.

I think it also brings up the point of how highly the FO thinks of mcfadden and if they think he's the elite back everyone else does. It will definately be an interesting draft.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 03-14-2008, 12:25 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
I'd say the answer is that you draft a young RB and work both of them together to protect your QB.
I'd like to see that and a young WR; Clemens already has a TE for a couple more years and he seemed to be a security blanket while he was running for his life from our porous Oline this year.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I think they went overboard with free agency.

The thing I don't like is they went with a 'win now' type of move. The main reason I have a problem with that is because they lack a proven quarterback. Pennington is somewhat proven, but he's not a long term solution for the Jets. Clemens is still an unknown.

There is such a huge question mark at the QB position that a win now type of move could have all been for not if they don't have a reliable quarterback to lead them.

They have been drafting pretty well. I think if they signed Faneca and continued to build from the draft it would've been a much better off-season thus far.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see though.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:45 AM    (permalink
Monarchman

look at the redskins..... how many of their big signings workedout
Old 03-14-2008, 03:48 AM    (permalink
GREENSMACKS
Rookie

GREENSMACKS hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I know this thread is a little late, but I heard this week the Jets had Ty Law in. The Jets have spent a remarkable amount of money this off season plain and simple. Personally I think this is the wrong way to build a long term contender. Obviously for next season the Jets are a much better team, however, losing draft picks and signing veterans to big contracts just seems to a bad idea.What is everyone's view on the Jets eventful off season?
as a jets fan i do not agree with teh spending. by the time the team is ready to compete. most of these guys will be done. first they need to get kellen some weapons, perhaps dj hackett. this offense is about as entertaining and watching a snail take a dump
GREENSMACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:01 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really think Mangini and Tannenbaum are trying to save their asses with this spending. People have really soured on Mangini in NY. He went from being Mangenius to Mangidiot. The Jets need DL. Until they get that, they are still going to be run on for huge clips at a time. I'm with Bearsfans on this. Terrible offseason. The only good move was bring in Faneca. I still think they need maybe another guard, OLB, and DE. And they are also putting all their eggs in the Kris Jenkins basket. Which could be potentially terrible.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The jets signed a lot of guys for way to much they are worth. The word that comes to mind when summing up the jets offseason is... Desperate

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:29 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I personally do not buy a make or break year for mangini and tannenbaum just becuase they've invested so heavily in FA. This wasn't a careless spending spree, this was a thought out plan in which they cleared cap room for the previous two years in order to procede with. Woody realizes that his coach is building a new defense and isn't going to fire a guy especially when you can see some of the pieces falling into place.

Obviously i'm a jets fan and this can be looked at as just defending my team, but i don't understand why this spending is such a big deal. People say that free agency is risky, but so is the draft. Suceeding in free agency takes the same type of talent and character evaluation that the draft requires; I would imagine since our FO has shown some ability in the draft that they know what they're doing in free agency. I would personally take an improved team than a crappy team who plays 30 million under the cap.

Well if it's not a job security reason than what's the driving force behind the moves?? I think it's flat out that mangini and tannenbaum are trying to put out the best team that they can for 2008. They want to win and spread that winning culture throughout their franchise. Yes, they need a WR, #2 CB (if miller doesn't pan out) a DE and maybe another OLB, but what's stopping them from getting these pieces in the next 2 or 3 years? Thats 15+ picks in the next three years to fill those slots; these players will then have a year or two to learn behind, Faneca, Jenkins and Woody. I don't understand why everyones acting like in three years when these 3 or 4 players stop playing our team is just gonna stop competing; if they draft right, the incumbent starters will be playing behind these guys for atleast a year.

Now, i'm not saying it's an amazing offseason, becuase you don't know that until you see the impact they have on the team the following years. However, by filling all of the holes on our team, it does give them flexibility entering the draft in order to make moves and take BPA. Due to the Pats being so dominant in our division, we needed to make moves to be competitive and instill a winning culture with our team and fans. I for one am happy our team is serious about winning and not just feeding the fans some BS about wanting to win, when they are more worried about making money.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
Suceeding in free agency takes the same type of talent and character evaluation that the draft requires; I would imagine since our FO has shown some ability in the draft that they know what they're doing in free agency.
It does, but the difference is if you miss on a free agent, you're out a lot of cap room and have a gaping hole on your roster. If you miss on a draft pick (aside from 1st round), you're out a small amount of cap space and have a minor hole on your roster.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
It does, but the difference is if you miss on a free agent, you're out a lot of cap room and have a gaping hole on your roster. If you miss on a draft pick (aside from 1st round), you're out a small amount of cap space and have a minor hole on your roster.
Very true, and i don't have the exact contract numbers, but from what i've been told, tannenbaum has left himself some outs. He's the one who got us out of the crazy mess bradway put us in and got us 25 million under in a matter of 2 seasons. I guess we'll have to wait for the end of the year in order to see if they pan on.

By the way, I was looking over the old pictures again and this one you posted was the funniest one i've ever seen on this site.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
Very true, and i don't have the exact contract numbers, but from what i've been told, tannenbaum has left himself some outs. He's the one who got us out of the crazy mess bradway put us in and got us 25 million under in a matter of 2 seasons. I guess we'll have to wait for the end of the year in order to see if they pan on.

By the way, I was looking over the old pictures again and this one you posted was the funniest one i've ever seen on this site.

that picture will be the death of me. Every time I see it I just laugh so hard my guts start hurting.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote