Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 AM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not trying to bash the lions and there fans but i can only laugh by this comment. Why cant he learn his lesson the first time. I wonder what his teammates think of this comment. This only adds more pressure.

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
Not trying to bash the lions and there fans but i can only laugh by this comment. Why cant he learn his lesson the first time. I wonder what his teammates think of this comment. This only adds more pressure.
last year with our schedule, it wasn't unthinkable, plus we started out 6-2... This year however, coming off a 1-7 crawl to the finish, I can only shake my head and hope against the odds he's right.

Besides, I'd just like to point out that he didn't predict anything, he simply stated that 10 wins usually means you make the playoffs, and that making the playoffs is a goal for any team, including his. Hence, he and his team are aiming for contendership and therefore their goal is 10 victories. He didn't say "We'll win ten games" he simply said that the goal for any team, including his, is to win at least ten games and go to the playoffs. It's just been horribly taken out of context and I don't think it's fair to Kitna or the Lions to be treated as if we are morons. If one really wants to place the title of 'moron' anywhere, in my opinion it should not be placed on Kitna, but on the people who read his statements and think it's a prediction.

PS: Next to the 'moron' title, I suggest some reading classes.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:20 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
last year with our schedule, it wasn't unthinkable, plus we started out 6-2... This year however, coming off a 1-7 crawl to the finish, I can only shake my head and hope against the odds he's right.

Besides, I'd just like to point out that he didn't predict anything, he simply stated that 10 wins usually means you make the playoffs, and that making the playoffs is a goal for any team, including his. Hence, he and his team are aiming for contendership and therefore their goal is 10 victories. He didn't say "We'll win ten games" he simply said that the goal for any team, including his, is to win at least ten games and go to the playoffs. It's just been horribly taken out of context and I don't think it's fair to Kitna or the Lions to be treated as if we are morons. If one really wants to place the title of 'moron' anywhere, in my opinion it should not be placed on Kitna, but on the people who read his statements and think it's a prediction.

PS: Next to the 'moron' title, I suggest some reading classes.
As I said before, it's an issue of semantics. Kitna knows both times that if he says "we'll be dissapointed if we don't win 10 games" it will be taken as "Kitna says Lions will win 10 games". He knows that. You know that. Everyone knows that.

And he's saying it for a very clear purpose, he wants the Lions players, fans, media, etc., to stop looking at them as losers. By showing confidence in his team he's hoping that other people will follow suit. Roy Williams has done the same thing on many occasions.

The problem is that most people will look at the Lions 50+ years of ineptitude, the fact that Jon Kitna sucks, and that they are still relatively void of talent, and keep laughing at him. And they should. It's a stupid thing to say and only makes him look foolish. At least when Roy Williams says it you can say "well Roy Williams is a good player". Everyone knew the Lions wouldn't win 10 games last year and it's highly unlikely that they'll do it this year. It's an unecessary distraction from a ****** player who should just think before he opens his mouth.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
As I said before, it's an issue of semantics. Kitna knows both times that if he says "we'll be dissapointed if we don't win 10 games" it will be taken as "Kitna says Lions will win 10 games". He knows that. You know that. Everyone knows that.
I'm not so sure about that actually. You could also see it as a guy who tries (albeit desperately) to keep his teammates and fans motivated. Plus the statement that ANY player in the NFL is dissapointed when he and his team do not make the playoffs doesn't seem so strange to me. It's a competitive league and I don't think any player on say... the Texans is going to say "yeah we won't make the playoffs, we've never made them so why would we now?". The fact of the matter is that in the NFL any team can win any game on any given sunday. I would be very dissapointed if my team (in my case, the lions) would start a season not even HOPING to make the playoffs.

Quote:
And he's saying it for a very clear purpose, he wants the Lions players, fans, media, etc., to stop looking at them as losers. By showing confidence in his team he's hoping that other people will follow suit. Roy Williams has done the same thing on many occasions.
Again, I disagree, that's your view on what's happened and you're making it look like facts, you don't know why he said it, he may try to motivate his teammates or himself. I don't see the relevance of Roy Williams doing it too. I'd say the more the merrier, you don't win games by assuming you lose them.

Quote:
The problem is that most people will look at the Lions 50+ years of ineptitude, the fact that Jon Kitna sucks, and that they are still relatively void of talent, and keep laughing at him. And they should. It's a stupid thing to say and only makes him look foolish. At least when Roy Williams says it you can say "well Roy Williams is a good player". Everyone knew the Lions wouldn't win 10 games last year and it's highly unlikely that they'll do it this year. It's an unecessary distraction from a ****** player who should just think before he opens his mouth.
What's stupid is to take a comment out of context, spin it and throw it out there, just to make fun of a player who is motivated and wants to win. I honestly don't see the harm in this.

On a side note, and this has been bugging me for a long time so I'll just let it out, I'm slowly growing very sick and tired of your constant bullying of Lions fans, because it would seem to me that the fans who stand by their team even after so many years of ineptitude are the best fans of all. And that doesn't just mean Lions fans, it means all fans of all franchises who have been bad for many years (the Browns come to mind, as do the Cardinals). Itīs very easy to love a winning team or a succesfull team, but to stand by your team even if they havenīt had a winning season for God knows how long, like some of the lions fans on these boards and in general? That's real love for your team. So please, just stop acting like we're idiots and show us some respect.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Silly silly boy!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On a side note, and this has been bugging me for a long time so I'll just let it out, I'm slowly growing very sick and tired of your constant bullying of Lions fans, because it would seem to me that the fans who stand by their team even after so many years of ineptitude are the best fans of all. And that doesn't just mean Lions fans, it means all fans of all franchises who have been bad for many years (the Browns come to mind, as do the Cardinals). Itīs very easy to love a winning team or a succesfull team, but to stand by your team even if they havenīt had a winning season for God knows how long, like some of the lions fans on these boards and in general? That's real love for your team. So please, just stop acting like we're idiots and show us some respect.

100% agree. Of course I'm a Lions fan and am sick of losing, but Bearsfan seems to have forgotten how awful the Bears were in the late 90s and early 2000s with the exception of the 2001 season when ragging on the Lions. Yes the Lions have been terrible with the exception of the 90s, but the past 50 years of losing(with old players nobody cares about now from the 60s, 70s and 80s and even 90s now) has nothing to do with the future of this team. Millen is a huge problem just like the Bears previous GM was, but Marinelli is getting the guys he wants. I don't know if it will work or not only time will tell, but its Marinellis show now.

The media asked the question so Kitna answered it the best way he can to motivate his team. The media blows it out of proportion so fans of other teams blow it out of proportion. If Kitna would have said no comment, I'm sure the media would say Kitna thinks that the Lions will be awful and can't achieve 10 wins.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
The media asked the question so Kitna answered it the best way he can to motivate his team. The media blows it out of proportion so fans of other teams blow it out of proportion. If Kitna would have said no comment, I'm sure the media would say Kitna thinks that the Lions will be awful and can't achieve 10 wins.
thats definitely what they would do. They thing is, no team, noone on the Dolphins, on the Cardinals, Raiders said sth like that. The media isnt doing anything. What makes u think they hate the lions so bad?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
thats definitely what they would do. They thing is, no team, noone on the Dolphins, on the Cardinals, Raiders said sth like that. The media isnt doing anything. What makes u think they hate the lions so bad?
I don't think they hate the Lions, I think they blow things out of proportion. The first time he was asked, Kitna was motivating his team as any leader should and said he would be disappointed if we didn't win 10 games. The media blew it out of proportion with countles storys on Kitnas 10 win gurantee and hence countless posts on football message boards about a non-issue really. Every QB thinks they can win 10 games. Once you lose your confidence you shouldn't be a QB in this league or a team leader.

Everyone knew they would ask Kitna again this offseason. And backing off his statement would not show good leadership. He can't be like I think we'll lose 10 games this year because we finished 1-7. Why would any starting QB ever say that. He said he wasn't guranteeing anything but again he would be disappointed if they didn't win 10. That is the truth. If they don't win 10 games, which is a good possibility Kitna will be disappointed(even though he always has that goofy smile on his face, he'll be disappointed.)

And as far as predicitons, other people make predictions. A lot of times predictions are wrong. But if you truly believe you can achieve something, which Kitna/Marinelli probably think they can, then why not say. You look like an idiot afterwards but that just motivates you even more the next season to get those 10 wins.

Last edited by Maybe Next Year Millen2 : 03-17-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really supported the Lions last year, even before the season I thought they could make a playoff push. This year...looking at that schedule? I'm not even sure if they'll win a home game.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

And he'll go come up short again with only 9 wins.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
I really supported the Lions last year, even before the season I thought they could make a playoff push. This year...looking at that schedule? I'm not even sure if they'll win a home game.

The schedule is hard every year. A lot depends on injuries during the season,home/away and how a team executes(sometimes they just don't show up). Division games are always the key. Lions went 3-3 last year in the division and always play division games tough at home no matter what kind of team the Lions have, even 3-13 it took a dropped Mike Williams pass to lose to the division champ Bears. With Favre retired, the Bears needing find a way to rebound to 2006 form defensively and in shambles on offense and the Vikes looking strong but still relying on Jackson, I see the divison as wide open. The Vikes,Bears,Packers have the same schedule with the exception of 2 games.