Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Larry121283
Rookie

Larry121283 is a cocksman.Larry121283 is a cocksman.Larry121283 is a cocksman.

That is why the comments have been prefaced, when Ugoh played.

The disparity between Ugoh and Charlie Johnson was MASSIVE.

Ugoh played at a Tarik Glenn level...Charlie Johnson played like a backup at LT...
Larry121283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

DawgBone smells like sex panther.

Is that Mrs. Ugoh???
DawgBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Larry121283
Rookie

Nope, hate the Colts...Jaguars fan...

however, I am starting to think you are Joe Thomas' fishing buddy and part time lover with the overreaction you had from saying that someone who had less penalties, less sacks allowed, and resulted in more rush yards per carry behind him was a better player..

logic kills the homer
Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry121283 View Post
Nope, hate the Colts...Jaguars fan...

however, I am starting to think you are Joe Thomas' fishing buddy and part time lover with the overreaction you had from saying that someone who had less penalties, less sacks allowed, and resulted in more rush yards per carry behind him was a better player..

logic kills the homer
Didnt you say stats dont matter? I know who made the pro bowl and who didnt.....

This is what you wrote....
"Find a rookie who allowed only 1 sack while committing only 1 penalty all year on the left side like Ugoh, and you have yourself a cookie "

But you might as well said name me a tackle (in 11 games). Not "all year".

Last edited by DawgBone : 03-18-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Larry121283
Rookie

LOL...find me one with a ratio like that, that saw significant action in 11 games...try 10...try 9, try 8, try 7...You can't find a starting tackle in the league, PERIOD with numbers like that from the spot...nevermind a rookie. And while the numbers aren't the be all and end all...they do give you a significant idea of what kind of player he is...

If you've ever played offensive line or any blocking position...coaches as you not to make mistakes, don't miss your block/assignment, and don't let your QB get hit. If you do all of those things...you are of the best.

Any player who allowed 1 sack in 11 games from the LT position is a stud, period. It gives you generally, a good idea of what kind of pass blocker he is.

Then you look at the numbers of rush yards behind the LT, that gives you an idea of what kind of run blocker he is (the "what if he had long runs" argument doesn't hold weight since the number stops at 10 yards per carry)...

Put them together with seeing a player that allowed his team to not miss a beat away from an All-Pro veteran tackle, and that tells me that Ugoh is not only good, but excellent. And last year, in the games he played, outplayed Joe Thomas.

I said stats don't matter when you also use your own two eyes to evaluate...more often than not, stats usually = what you see...

I won't continue the bickering, because you are just going to come back and say "Tony Ugoh didn't play a full season...so, he gets no credit" or something lame like that.

Remind me to avoid intelligent discussion with you in the future.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think anyone who says the Jets line can be the best is underrating the chemistry aspect of the OL. No matter how amazing the players are, it will take time to gel.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I think anyone who says the Jets line can be the best is underrating the chemistry aspect of the OL. No matter how amazing the players are, it will take time to gel.
I agree but.....

Joe Thomas was a rookie
Eric Steinbach was in his first year with the team
Hank Fraley was in his 2nd
Ryan Tucker had never played RG in his life
Kevin Shaffer was allways a LT before training camp and moved to RT

And they seemed to jell just fine. Hopefully it only gets better this year.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
I agree but.....

Joe Thomas was a rookie
Eric Steinbach was in his first year with the team
Hank Fraley was in his 2nd
Ryan Tucker had never played RG in his life
Kevin Shaffer was allways a LT before training camp and moved to RT

And they seemed to jell just fine. Hopefully it only gets better this year.

very true, but that line is more the exception to the rule than the norm. I think that more speaks to the great ability of whoever the Browns OL coach is than to question the validity of an OL needing time to gel. Sometimes you just get lucky, I wouldnt expect the Jets to be so fortunate. Maybe they will be, and then you would have to move them up the rankings, but for now I dont think they can be put at the top.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
very true, but that line is more the exception to the rule than the norm. I think that more speaks to the great ability of whoever the Browns OL coach is than to question the validity of an OL needing time to gel. Sometimes you just get lucky, I wouldnt expect the Jets to be so fortunate. Maybe they will be, and then you would have to move them up the rankings, but for now I dont think they can be put at the top.
Funny you brought up our OL coach. He was previously the OL coach of the Texans for the main years where they gave up NFL record leading sack totals. When the Browns hired him many fans were angry (lack of knowledge?). This year was his first with the Browns and it apears he did very well. Poor Texans?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
Funny you brought up our OL coach. He was previously the OL coach of the Texans for the main years where they gave up NFL record leading sack totals. When the Browns hired him many fans were angry (lack of knowledge?). This year was his first with the Browns and it apears he did very well. Poor Texans?
shocking what talent can do for a coach's reputation.....
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 PM    (permalink
luee
Rookie

luee smells like sex panther.luee smells like sex panther.

Worst to first, I do not think so. Mangold is a top tier center but brick has aways to go at LOT. Woodie has little rubber on the tracks. Middle of the pack at best.
luee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jacksonville's line is underrated.

Every starter from last year's outstanding unit returns, and Mo Williams is situated so he can play at RG again, where his play improved immensely over how he did at RT.

Khalif Barnes, solid and still has upside
Manuwai, the best offensive lineman in the NFL that you haven't heard of
Meester, who has quietly has been a top-5 center for several years now
Mo Williams, who played at a pro-bowl level inside last year
Tony Pashos, the next Jon Runyan.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Pashos must have improved dramatically because in Baltimore he sucked until his contract year when he was average.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 AM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. New England
2. Dallas
3. Vikings
4. Green Bay
5. Colts
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Or Moyal

Homer alert, but I think I'd have to go with the Cowboys. Three pro bowlers and a pretty good Right Tackle in Colombo. Kosier isn't very good, but he doesn't kill you.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:21 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezPower4 View Post
1. New England
2. Dallas
3. Vikings
4. Green Bay
5. Colts

I'd put us on the list... You don't win the superbowl against the 2nd team in sacks with an avg o-line.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Young Legend
Veteran

Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.

NO! Woody at RT and who ever is at RG..Horrible right side. Will Faneca help Brick out Yes but it will not make him live up to the hype he had coming out of college.

Faneca play fell off big time last year..
Old 04-02-2008, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xooberon View Post
no doubt johnson was worse but i saw ugoh a few times last season and he looked woeful, maybe not giving up sacks but he gives up pressure and hits seemingly at will. for people to even consider that he was on joe thomas' level is laughable imo
And The first game of last season Joe Thomas was involved in giving up 3 sacks.

One of which Ryan Clark beat him one on one and another where James Farrior literally RAN HIM OVER.

Obviously Joe Thomas will never give up a pressure, and has 2x the push in the run game that Ugoh Has.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Well Pashos must have improved dramatically because in Baltimore he sucked until his contract year when he was average.
He did. He played poorly the first few games, but over the second half of the season, he was amazing. He and Mo Williams were just road grading people.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas>Ugoh, unquestionably.

Not a lot of respect for the Chargers going on in this thread: McNeill, Dielman, and Hardwick are all pro bowlers. Goff is a veteran, and the real problem child of the group, Shane Olivea, got cut and his replacement Clary did very well.

Is it top 5? They had some breakdowns early last year and everyone seems to have written them off. The O-line getting their **** together is a main reason the Chargers turned their season around, kept Rivers upright, and collected another division championship and an appearance in the AFCCG.

Blocking for the rushing leader two years in a row ain't bad either, especially considering LT's historic production.

No disrespect, but I'd take this group over the Jets anyday. The Browns too.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vikings do, in my opinion.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering we have Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Hank Fraley, Ryan Tucker, and Kevin Shaffer starting with sick depth in Rex Hadnot, Seth McKinney, and Lennie Friedman, it is clear that the Browns line is great and even better than last year with Hadnot in the fold and Joe Thomas being a year more experienced after a pro bowl rookie season. Minnesota has a killer line, but the right side of their unit isn't that great and their depth isn't that great either compared to some lines. I think New England is still the best line after how dominant they were last year even though they did get beat by the Giants' front four in the big game.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM    (permalink
xooberon
Veteran

xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.xooberon is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
And The first game of last season Joe Thomas was involved in giving up 3 sacks.

One of which Ryan Clark beat him one on one and another where James Farrior literally RAN HIM OVER.

Obviously Joe Thomas will never give up a pressure, and has 2x the push in the run game that Ugoh Has.

LOL you bring up thomas' first game but don't mention how ugoh got manhandled all day by will smith in his.

oh and i never said that thomas never gives up pressure only that he was the most impressive rookie tackle
xooberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:48 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thomas gave up 2 sacks his whole rookie year. The sacks in the Pittsburgh game were not his fault. Charlie Frye sucks. Joe was fine in his first game, Derek Anderson came in and no pressure at all.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am going to make a thread called "What team is the best at each position?" we will talk about what team is #1 @ QB, RB, FB, WR, TE, OLine, DLine, LB, CB, S, K, P.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote