Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 03-17-2008, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Chris Myers traded

Well, the OL depth (and there wasn't much) just got shallower...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...4&storyID=7883

Curious move, given that Hamilton and Nalen are both close to being done (Hamilton due to injury, Nalen to age). It suggests there's a C the team likes in the draft, someone who would probably be available in the later rounds (Justice?).
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

rascal hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't understand it, but I think they have a solid guy in Fenton who should be comparable to Myers (minus the experience). Obviously they didn't value him to much and I think it's a clear signal that they think Hamilton and Nalen are 100%.

Either way I'd still want us to draft Pollack.
rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

jaffe28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think the deal here is about the contract. They weren't going to match the offer sheet the Texans signed him to so this just saved time.
jaffe28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

They might have needed the pick to trade for Robertson? Who knows.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
Obviously they didn't value him to much and I think it's a clear signal that they think Hamilton and Nalen are 100%.
Hamilton can't be relied on at all. Shanahan pretty much said it in his end of season presser:

“Chris Myers is not a tackle, but he’s a good football player that can play the center and guard positions. We’ve got some competition there like you mentioned, you never know what’s going to happen with Ben (Hamilton). He could have one hit and he could be out."

Interesting how things change so quickly...

Anyway, we'd better have someone else waiting in the wings or a prospect in mind to cover this eventuality.

Quote:
Either way I'd still want us to draft Pollack.
Don't get your hopes up. We aren't going to take him in the first or second, but he probably won't last until the 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffe28 View Post
I think the deal here is about the contract. They weren't going to match the offer sheet the Texans signed him to so this just saved time.
Yes, it definitely seems like it was all about money.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame round 6
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
jaffe28
Rookie

jaffe28 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default back-up plan?

Looks like the Broncos are looking to back-up the center position with a veteran. Wonder if he'll be significantly cheaper than keeping Meyers would have been...

The following is from the 3/19 Rocky Mountain New

"WINDOW SHOPPING: The Broncos today will host center Casey Wiegmann, a starter for Kansas City since 2001 who wasn't retained as a free agent in the Chiefs' offseason youth movement.

Wiegmann, 34, would help provide some insurance for the Broncos on the interior line with the sign-and-trade Monday of Chris Myers to the Houston Texans.

Wiegmann isn't considered a mauler but physically appears to fit the Broncos' zone-blocking mold at 6-foot-2, 285 pounds. He has the quickness and ability to work off combination blocks and get to linebackers in the run game and also has a deep knowledge of opposing linemen and schemes as a 12-year NFL veteran.

The Broncos' only other experienced pivot behind starter Tom Nalen is guard Ben Hamilton, who's coming off post-concussion issues that kept him out the entire 2007 season."
jaffe28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:20 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

I think Wiegmann will sign for close to vet minimum.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
rascal
Rookie

Wiegmann signed a two year deal for roughly 3 mil. No word on the guarantees or SB.