Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What is Jared Allen worth?

Rumor is he wants Dwight Freeney money.

Some what to pay him some want to trade him.

The Good - Is a team player great pass rusher good vs the run is always around the ball be it forcing a fumble or knocking a pass down.

The Bad - One DUI away from having to sit out a full season has been known to over run a play bootleg/reverse.

It sounds like alot of money but in todays NFL with guys like Jerry Porter getting 30 million I don't think he is that out of line.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think this franchise tag year is very important for the Chiefs. I'd want to see if he can repeat 2007 and also prove he's put his character issues behind him.

Same deal with Haynesworth for the Titans, I feel.

The franchise tag gives them another year to decide whether they will fork over a HUGE investment, to a playmaker on the defensive line.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'll get paid. Everyone does nowadays, whether they are worth it or not.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
He'll get paid. Everyone does nowadays, whether they are worth it or not.
Well when you really think about it no one is worth DF money but in the world of football he is not out of line sad but true.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:11 PM    (permalink
IndyColtScout
Veteran

IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.IndyColtScout could make a wolverine purr.

The sad reality about free agency in every sport is that teams overpay everyone.

Dwight Freeney isn't even worth Dwight Freeney money. Sorry, but Jared Allen isn't worth it either. However, if the Chiefs want to make the playoffs, they pay the man.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pay the man what he is worth. He is only 25 years old, and will continue to get better. You need at least one stud pass rusher on a team, and Allen is young and only has an upside. The downside like Splat mentioned is his DUI issue. I'd pay him good money, not something insane but pay him a fair salary. He is a complete DE, who gets his sacks, and also gets tackles vs the run.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think anyone is worth Dwight Freeney money nowadays. IMO freeney has not done much since he was paid. These players get paid and then once they are paid they set themselves on cruise control A.K.A Shaun Alexander. Im not saying Allen is like that because i think his character is for the love of the game...

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder&Lightning View Post
I dont think anyone is worth Dwight Freeney money nowadays. IMO freeney has not done much since he was paid. These players get paid and then once they are paid they set themselves on cruise control A.K.A Shaun Alexander. Im not saying Allen is like that because i think his character is for the love of the game...
Not always true. Osi got paid 12/23/05 and had a good season and continued to play well, and Tuck got extended and had a big game when it counted the most. Looking forward to seeing how they do next year. But I guess depends on the player and environment they're in.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:46 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I think this franchise tag year is very important for the Chiefs. I'd want to see if he can repeat 2007 and also prove he's put his character issues behind him.

Same deal with Haynesworth for the Titans, I feel.

The franchise tag gives them another year to decide whether they will fork over a HUGE investment, to a playmaker on the defensive line.
Allen has said he will never sign a long term contract if he has to play a down with the franchise tag.

And it's not like 2007 was out of the blue like with Albert Haynesworth. Yes it was his highest sack total in a season but he has been a consistent performer since his rookie year in the league.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I couldn't give a damn what Allen says. He's franchised tagged this year, can be franchised tagged next year at 120% of this year's cost, and will sign a big money deal whenever/if ever the Chiefs offer it. He'd like to get his guaranteed money now as opposed to two years later, so the posturing is cute but irrelevant.

As for Freeney, he was playing well before the ankle/foot injury in the San Diego game.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColtScout View Post
The sad reality about free agency in every sport is that teams overpay everyone.

Dwight Freeney isn't even worth Dwight Freeney money. Sorry, but Jared Allen isn't worth it either. However, if the Chiefs want to make the playoffs, they pay the man.
Based on the last couple of seasons Allen is the better DE between the two.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Allen will get paid, and I firmly believe he stays a Chief. They could work out a long term deal before he even plays a snap in 2008. I'm not sure that will happen, but I don't see him leaving.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:53 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
I couldn't give a damn what Allen says. He's franchised tagged this year, can be franchised tagged next year at 120% of this year's cost, and will sign a big money deal whenever/if ever the Chiefs offer it. He'd like to get his guaranteed money now as opposed to two years later, so the posturing is cute but irrelevant.

As for Freeney, he was playing well before the ankle/foot injury in the San Diego game.
I'm not sure I would want to risk that. Allen feels GM Carl Peterson lied to him. Jared Allen loves the town and the team but his beef is with Carl Peterson. Allen himself has said that it would be easier to get a deal done if Carl was not the GM. And with the way Carl Peterson does business (his intial bids are so low they are insulting) I am currently not very optimistic about keeping our best player in town.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Once he signs the franchise tender, $8.879M is guaranteed for 2008. If he's franchised next year and signs that tender, that's at least $10.6548M guaranteed for 09. If he wants to sit out until Week 10 and cost himself millions, that's up to him.

He's not the first player to have to play with a franchise tag, nor will he be the last. It is what it is, and he's being paid handsomely in the meantime.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:05 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

Quote:
Once he signs the franchise tender, $8.879M is guaranteed for 2008. If he's franchised next year and signs that tender, that's at least $10.6548M guaranteed for 09. If he wants to sit out until Week 10 and cost himself millions, that's up to him.

He's not the first player to have to play with a franchise tag, nor will he be the last. It is what it is, and he's being paid handsomely in the meantime.
I would rather not deal with any of that and pay the man now. Pretty soon a defensive end is going to get a contract larger than Freeney's and the market is going to go up even higher. Instead of paying him $9 or $10 million a year with the franchise tag I would rather just get the long term contract out of the way with that money. Hell, we certainly have the money. We had around $30 million in cap room based on the regular cap but according to PFT the Chiefs' adjustged cap is around $128 million due to expected to be earned bonuses that were not earned. I believe that would put us at over $40 million in cap room.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As someone who has followed this closely (and been a Chiefs fan my entire life) I can see both sides.

Jared Allen thinks he deserves a long term contract. He does. He believes the franchise tag is a slap in the face. It is not.

Carl Peterson didn't want to sign someone to a long term deal that had past "character" issues. He was suspended four games (served two) for multiple DUI arrests. That, in itself, is not a bad move. However, he has worked hard to clean up his act and stay sober. I believe that Carl Peterson and the Chiefs organization realize this, and he will be re-signed to a deal that a player of his caliber is worth. I'm not sure what that number would be, but he is arguably the most important piece of our defense.

I don't think he leaves KC, regardless of what he's said in the past.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Cribbs>Hester needs more cowbell.

After Brodie Croyle fails miserably in 2008 The Chiefs will trade Jared Allen to the Browns for Derek Anderson during the 11th hour of the trade deadline. :)

Hey, a fan can hope right? And I think he would be an excellent pass rushing OLB in a 34 defense.
Cribbs>Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribbs>Hester View Post
After Brodie Croyle fails miserably in 2008 The Chiefs will trade Jared Allen to the Browns for Derek Anderson during the 11th hour of the trade deadline. :)

Hey, a fan can hope right? And I think he would be an excellent pass rushing OLB in a 34 defense.
i didn't even read your post. Cribbs>Hester? what were you thinking when you made that sn?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
i didn't even read your post. Cribbs>Hester? what were you thinking when you made that sn?
Obviously I was thinking very clearly, more clear than the brainwashed population who is obsessed with Hester's hype train.

Kick Return: Cribbs
Punt Return: Hester
Always Having a Positive Play: Cribbs
Gunner: Cribbs

Cribbs doesn't always score like Hester, but he has more total big returns than Hester.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You realize if JA gets only 14 sacks this year that will give him 57 sacks in 5 years. Also he has had 10 PDs that last two years, and averages 5 FFs a yer. Also has become an offensive threat. I think he will have at least 16 sacks. Giving him an average of 11 a year and he is only getting better, more focused.

He went sober for a while and showed a new focus throoughout the year. I wouldnt be shocked if he puts up a 18 sack, 12 PD, 10 FF type year. He has the most potential the break the sack record IMO. More so than Mario.

Plus he over pursues, which means he is good for run support in that he well bull rush and fight off blocker and find the ball. I think he will onyl get better with the progress of the DTs as well.

You have to realize this man is a freak and 25 years old. He has 8 years left in him.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cribbs doesn't always score like Hester, but he has more total big returns than Hester.[/quote]

is this seriously your argument??
the reason Cribbs has more big plays is because teams rarely kick it to Hester. duh
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:42 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
Well when you really think about it no one is worth DF money but in the world of football he is not out of line sad but true.
Says who? If the market dictates that having that special skillset is worth X amount of money, who's qualified to say otherwise?

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Cribbs>Hester
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
Cribbs doesn't always score like Hester, but he has more total big returns than Hester.

is this seriously your argument??
the reason Cribbs has more big plays is because teams rarely kick it to Hester. duh[/quote]

You don't even watch Browns games. You're opinion is worthless to me. Teams kicked it away from Cribbs plenty. You just didn't see because the media refuses to give us nationally televised games.

Cribbs is a better overall special teamer than Hester will ever be period.