Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 PM    (permalink
kafb86

i have espn insider and look what i just read....
<Feb. 23> Don't be surprised if the Steelers release Porter in the next week or so, writes ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli. Porter's productivity tailed off considerably in 2006, and his contract status could become a problem. Porter is due a $1 million roster bonus on March 6 and his scheduled base salary for 2007, the final season of his current deal, is $4 million.
Word around the league is that Porter, whose forte has always been his explosive quickness coming off the edge, has lost a half-step. "He isn't the same guy," said one rival AFC North coach this week. "He's not a guy anymore where you say, 'OK, I have to game-plan around him.' It'll be interesting to see what [the Steelers] do with him."

I know it says he lost a step, but he's a perfect 3-4 OLB, what do you guys think abuot singing him if we can't get adalius.

i can't figure out how to get a poll up on this but who would you guys rather, adalius or joey?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:41 PM    (permalink
jetsfan3
All-Pro

jetsfan3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I need age comparisons and money comparisons, because I think they are about equal in terms of talent.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Porter's always been overrated anyway. His sacks are all from beating up on bad competition and he really isn't much of an impact versus the run. I'd honestly rather have Bryan Thomas when you consider everything.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
kafb86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan3 View Post
I need age comparisons and money comparisons, because I think they are about equal in terms of talent.
porter is a few months older than him, there both 29 as of today, and will both be 30 at the start of the season
Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
FlutiesDropKick
Pro Bowler

FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.FlutiesDropKick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

wow i always thought porter was a few years older than thomas. I'd rather Thomas but if we landed POrter as a backup plan i couldn't complain. Also thanks for the info but posting ESPN insider stuff is a no go

Sig thanks to VLS

My BC Iggles. (13-4)
FlutiesDropKick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
TerribleEd
Rookie

TerribleEd hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Porter

As a Steelers fan, I have two things to say about Joey Porter:

First, I hope we cut Porter. He is not worth the money he seeks and especially not in tandem with the longterm extension he seeks at his age. And if he doesn't get an extension going into the final year of his contract, I could see him becoming a locker room cancer. I just don't think he's the longterm answer in Pittsburgh.

Second, if he's available, the Jets should immediately jump on him for the right price. It's a totally different situation for the Jets. If cut by Pittsburgh, Porter would be on an absolute mission. He will be one motivated dude, and that makes all the difference in the world with Porter - whoever gets him after he is cut will be happy they did. He's also been a champion and would be a positive influence on his teamates. Lastly, his experience in the 3-4 under Dick Lebeau would be helpful to a NY team whose 3-4 defense is still a toddler.

To change topic (and the reason I came to the NY Jets section in the first place), do you think there would be any circumstances that the Jets would trade up with the Steelers for the 15th overall pick? Looking at the draft value chart, a fair deal would be the Steelers first rounder (#15) and third rounder (#79) for the Jets first rounder (#25) and early second rounder (#37). I was thinking the Jets might be interested if Adam Carriker, Marshawn Lynch, or one of the elite WR's were available. Thoughts?
TerribleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

i would love either of those players..lynch or carricker...however i really dont beleive in trading up nor do i think mangini does..not that i know what he thinks but i just dont see trading up being in the game plan....but ya know what if they fallin love with either of them i wouldnt put it past them to contact ya for the trade....but as for the idea if porter is cut..i def think he will be a man on a mission, he seems like the type of player to have a grudge and hold it out till he proves himself...which is always one hell of a way to play!

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

IMO, Joey Porter's one of the best and most idealistic 3-4 OLB's in the NFL right now, but as far as a NYJ 3-4 OLB however, I'm not sold on because of his attitude and his price. Not his attitude soley because he's not a "mangini player" but just becase he's an asshole in general and I wouldn't want him on my team for that reason, regardless of the coach. As far as his price goes, he's gunna ask for a fortune, do we need to waste it on him....no

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Porter to NY. I'm calling it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He was officially released, so it may be likely.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i would be happy with signing him as long as he doesnt act out and feel superior towards mangini
Old 03-01-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

"The Jets had reportedly inquired about a trade involving Joey Porter before Porter was released on Thursday." 'ESPN's John Clayton says Porter could land in New York if Eric Barton is released. Victor Hobson would then likely move to inside linebacker.'

It seems as tho if they were willing to trade for him it means they aren't too worried about his character issues...the only problem now would be his asking price, however if nobody else wants him i would love to land him as long as he keeps in line and doesnt shoot his mouth off too much...plus it would def make us a little more bad ass

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
"The Jets had reportedly inquired about a trade involving Joey Porter before Porter was released on Thursday." 'ESPN's John Clayton says Porter could land in New York if Eric Barton is released. Victor Hobson would then likely move to inside linebacker.'

It seems as tho if they were willing to trade for him it means they aren't too worried about his character issues...the only problem now would be his asking price, however if nobody else wants him i would love to land him as long as he keeps in line and doesnt shoot his mouth off too much...plus it would def make us a little more bad ass
we have so much money to spend, i say we make a serious run at him, i want one of 4 lbs in order, joey porter, adalius thomas, donnie edwards, ed hartwell
Old 03-03-2007, 11:08 AM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I dont know if it's true that Porter lost a step...
I actually think he'll be just as productive if not more productive than Adalius Thomas because Michael Smith and Skip Bayliss just reported that often times with a new young coach the front office will release a guy who's vocal in the locker room to prevent controversy. Another reason they cut Porter is not bc he lost a step (that might be what they said) but bc they have a sh!t load of FA for next year. They said Joey Porter has 3-5 more great years I think we should go after him since the Pats signed Thomas.

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Porter could be an interesting sign just because he'd be so fired up to play for anybody after getting cut. He'd have a chip on his shoulder. The only thing that worries me is Steeler fans don't really seem to like Porter, they think he's overrated. Supposedly he's good for 10 sacks or so a year but doesn't do much else and isn't a great pass rusher for those sacks. Plus he get stupid penalties and runs his mouth. He'd be an interesting signing but I don't know how great a fit he is for the team we're trying to put together right now. I could go either way on Porter as long as we don't overpay him. I think if he signed with the Bengals that would be quite interesting though...
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, it's been a while since i've been here. I would love to have porter. Thomas isn't an option anymore and we have all the necessary cap room, i don't see why we shouldn't do it.

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He's not worth the money that he most definately demands. He was good for a good chunk of sacks every yeart but that was it. Even then most of the time he padded them against bad teams in routs. He doesn't support the run as well as he shoud. I would honestly take Bryan Thomas over him any day of the week.
Zim3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
gio
Rookie

gio hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

JP is demanding too much.not worth it and he has a big mouth
Old 03-05-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Scorch
Veteran

Scorch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bryan Thomas was outstanding last season! He's a beast!