Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 03-23-2008, 03:02 PM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

DonWoods33 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Another Mock Draft

Came up with the following scenario:

With Phillips taken off the board. (If it were me I would trade down. He is really the only guy I would stay at 27 for. I think he got caught up in a bad situation at UofM last year, and could emerge if given the right opportunity, as one of the elite players in this draft)
Therefore:
Pick 27 is traded to Chicago, who is looking for a QB (Brohm I feel could be the guy, since they really need someone to step in now) after taking a OT with their earlier first, for picks 44 and 75. Pick 44 is then traded to Jax (figuring them to move up for a pass rusher in the 2nd), for picks 58 and 89. The net result is picks at 58 (2nd), 75 (3rd), and 89 (3rd).
This is what I came up with picks at those spots. The guys I looked at could actually go a bit higher, but are not totally out of the realm of possibly. Also I looked grabbing guys with high upsides, who may not have the best production, but being loaded like the team is. I figured you could take some risks.

58) Calais Campbell-DE-Miami
Thinking he will fall because of his lack of speed, and perhaps limited pass rush ability. He is definitely big and strong enough to play end in the 3-4. Looking to provide more depth for a rotation. Also guard against Castillo's yearly injuries, and the possibility that Olshansky and/or Castillo may not be affordable down the road.

75) Tyrell Johnson-S-Arkansas State
Looking to pair him up with Weddle sometime during the 08 campaign. He is very well liked in scouting circles. It has been noted he has played very well against Texas and Texas Tech last year. Some people were calling him the best player on the field in those two games. If he had gone to Arkansas, instead of Arkansas State. He might very well be the best safety in his class. Not sure if he will still be available here, but hey its my mock draft.

89) Dre Moore-DT-Maryland
A very physically gifted player that had a solid Senior Bowl. Has a ton of upside, and can play the Nose. If he plays up to his ability, he could be a terrific player and man the front for years to come.

4)(Donnie Edwards comp pick) Eric Young-OG-Tenn.
Kind of an underachiever that played Tackle in College, but has power, and the feet to get down field and block. I am looking to up grade Goff with someone big, athletic, and light footed.

5) Terrence Wheatley CB Colorado
One of those shorter, fast Corners. Looking at him to provide depth, and eventually cover slot guys like Wes Welker. A very productive college player from a good conference.

6) Xavier Omon RB NW Missouri St.
Outstanding production of the course of his college career albeit not at a big school. Big tough inside runner, not in M. Turner class lacks the speed. But could be effective in short yardage, and as a back up RB.

7) Barry Richardson OT Clemson
I have him falling even further then before. I am sure someone will take a shot at this guy given his great tools. Basically looking at him to compete at RT, and provide a decent backup and insurance if something happened at LT as well.

So go ahead and slice and dice it. I got to get my thread count up somehow.

Last edited by DonWoods33 : 03-23-2008 at 05:17 PM.
DonWoods33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 AM    (permalink
defensiveback23
Veteran

defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.defensiveback23 is so money.

Don't like the Campbell pick, don't see the need or the fit at all. I would be pretty shocked if we didn't re-sign Igor/Luis and Cesaire and Bingham are good backups. Johnson would be an excellent choice but will probably be gone by that point. Moore is a great athlete no doubt but it would be surprising to see AJ take a guy with work ethic questions with a pick that high, actually at all in general. Goff's replacement is already on the team in either Murck or Clary. Love the Omon/Richardson picks but it would be surprising to see either fall that far. Omon is a power runner with some tools in a class that lacks physical HBs and Richardson has too much talent and production to fall to the end of the 7th.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:13 AM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by defensiveback23 View Post
Don't like the Campbell pick, don't see the need or the fit at all. I would be pretty shocked if we didn't re-sign Igor/Luis and Cesaire and Bingham are good backups. Johnson would be an excellent choice but will probably be gone by that point. Moore is a great athlete no doubt but it would be surprising to see AJ take a guy with work ethic questions with a pick that high, actually at all in general. Goff's replacement is already on the team in either Murck or Clary. Love the Omon/Richardson picks but it would be surprising to see either fall that far. Omon is a power runner with some tools in a class that lacks physical HBs and Richardson has too much talent and production to fall to the end of the 7th.
I have to disagree with you. The backup DE's are good in spots at times yes, but it's not like you can't go for an upgrade. I think Campbell should be one, and I think yes his better fit would be as an End in a 3-4, given his size. Furthermore as you ID the core of players they have. One of those guys Igor or Luis may not be able to be fit under the cap. You have a lot of guys coming up on contracts in the next two to three years. It just simple Economics, Merriman, McNeill, Cromartie, and Rivers, are core guys and they are going to get huge reup dollars. So hence the pick for a DE.
Johnson might be there as an early three. No doubt he will probably not make it out of the 3rd round, but then again pure safeties are using taken lower then their talent suggests, unless they are elite players.
I threw Moore in there, because of his talent. You're right he's probably not someone that Smith would be likely to draft that high. Although he did take a backup QB (with some questionable concerns in the 3rd, and a kicker Kaeting fairly high in the past), also McNeill did have some questions about his health and dominance too. Concerning Mruczkowski, the guy has one start in his three seasons on the team. I know they resigned him, but we know how contracts work in the NFL, if your not a big dog getting a huge signing bonus, nothing is guaranteed. I think they like him as a backup, special teams guy. Again he's competing with Goff, an average player at best. Using the rule of common sense if he really was all that. I would have thought that sometime over the last few years he would have beaten him out for the job. That hasn't happened. I think you have to read between the lines sometimes. Actually I knew how much you like Omon, so I threw him in there. He reminds of LeShon Johnson years ago, power guy huge production but he fell to the third round, and he went to a bigger school. So we will see.
Well anyways trying to pad my post total lol.

Last edited by DonWoods33 : 03-25-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:33 PM    (permalink
UncleHulka
Rookie

UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.UncleHulka could make a wolverine purr.

I saw in a Chicago Tribune article that Kenny Phillips was one of several players whose wonderlic was leaked. He allegedly scored a 16. Now I don't consider myself an intellectual, but I've seen samples of that test and think that I could score at least 25 while in the midst of a severe drinking binge. He may have fallen off of AJ's radar after that.

And I'll be surprised if Campbell, Moore, Johnson, and Omon all fall that far. I would be very very happy with that draft, but believe it's wishful thinking to get all of those guys.
UncleHulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
DonWoods33
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHulka View Post
I saw in a Chicago Tribune article that Kenny Phillips was one of several players whose wonderlic was leaked. He allegedly scored a 16. Now I don't consider myself an intellectual, but I've seen samples of that test and think that I could score at least 25 while in the midst of a severe drinking binge. He may have fallen off of AJ's radar after that.

And I'll be surprised if Campbell, Moore, Johnson, and Omon all fall that far. I would be very very happy with that draft, but believe it's wishful thinking to get all of those guys.
I am not sure if this has much to do as to whether or not the guy can play. I mean until this year he was considered one of the best safeties in the country as a freshman and sophomore no less, like I have noted previously I think he is one of true studs that will come out of this draft. The whole Miami program had issues this year, and I think he's a huge bargain anywhere below 15. Furthermore, I doubt the late Sean Taylor's wonderlic (God Bless his soul) was huge either, and it didn't seem to hurt him. Besides Weddle is a smart guy he can make the calls, adjustments anyway.
Johnson could very well go in the 70s. I responded to that in the post above.

Last edited by DonWoods33 : 03-25-2008 at 09:27 PM.