Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Or Moyal

Heya, fellow fanboys. I'm sure we've all written up endless mocks and run possible scenarios through our collective heads to the point of redundancy. The purpose of this excercise is to put down a potential target you have in mind for each of the Cowboys' first six selections. I set the cap at 5th rounders because personally, I don't know enough to assess players below that rung.
Disclaimer: Let's be realistic people. McFadden's not slipping to 22, Gholston won't be there at 28.

Rd.1, Pick 22: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon. Stewart is a terrific, game-breaking running back. He won't necessarily be 100% for the start of the season, but Barber can carry the entire load until he is.
Rd. 1, Pick 28: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State. It's arguable that no wide receiver in this draft has Thomas' upside. While he comes with his share of concerns, foremost amongst them outcries of Sample Size Theater, he is the gamebreaker Jerry longs for.
Rd. 2, Pick 28: Justin King, CB, Penn State. Sans PacMan, I'd take a Corner like Reggie Smith or Antoine Cason with the 28th pick. His pickup seems to be more and more of an eventuality, however, so I'm going for a solid 2nd round corner. King could play Nate Jones during his rookie season, then take over the nickel when Anthony Henry is let go.
Rd. 3, Pick 28: Frank Okam, DT, Texas. I'm hoping The Rat is moved back to DE next year and Tank is given the brunt of the load at Tackle. In this case, we have absolutely nobody to back him up. Here's where Okam comes in. He's a prototypical Nose Tackle, being arguably the biggest DT in the draft. He has a propensity for big plays, but a reputation for taking some off. As a backup, this issue should be contained rather well.
Rd. 4, Pick 28: John David Booty, QB, USC. Why am I selecting a QB for a team that clearly doesn't need one? Because I've seen the value of a quality backup. Booty is arguably the most pro-ready of any collegiate prospect, doesn't kill his team (although his upside is suspect) and has stated that he would love to become a Cowboy.
Rd. 5, Pick 28:Tommy Blake, DE, TCU. Blake was a surefire first round prospect coming into this year, and then he ran into issues that sidelined him for over a month and kept him above effective playing weight for the remainder of the season. Needless to say, very few prospects have seen their stock drop so precipitously. Blake's and TCU's loss is the Cowboy' gain, as they grab a 4-3 DE (read: pass rusher) almost big enough to play the 3-4. In this scenario, Blake would be close to home, which would help alleviate any of his psychological issues, and the coaching staff would harness his newfound love of food to employ him as a DE in our scheme.

Last edited by Or Moyal : 03-23-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:34 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The first round picks are the ones i believe are a little suspect. I'm a fan of J-Stew, but i feel he has a lot of question marks coming in as far as the offense he played in, his production and his injury concerns. I'm not liking the fact that he had turf toe, as this is an injury that is VERY, VERY likely to come back.

Ranking the WR's, there might be better value for a WR at 22 if the stud RB's and CB's are taken already. Once Malcolm Kelly runs, we'll find out a little better of how the first round is shaping up as far as the WR position goes. If he runs in the high 4.4's or low 4.5's as expected, it gives the cowboys great value there, seeing as there will be 3 WR's with very very good upside and potential (Kelly, Sweed and Thomas).

My scenario for the first round that i would love to see happen would be to trade up somewhere close to the top 15, to be able to snag that last corner that fell, cause all of the top 3 (Jenkins, McKelvin, DRC) seem to have pro-bowl potential. It kinda falls off after that.
If the first team selecting a corner falls in love with DRC and takes him because of his huge upside, i think there needs to be a move to go up
for McKelvin. He'll be a complete stud and plays a lot like Terence Newman who we all love.

2nd round i'd like to see Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson taken.
Granted, neither of them could last that long, but if they did, it would be
great. they both have huge potential, and could be very valuable to this offense, especially spelling MBIII.

3rd round might be a reach for Frank Okam, but if it did happen, i'd be okay with it. He has tremendous upside, and we just might be able to whip him into shape.

In the 4th i think we can take a flyer on Jack Ikegwuonu if he's still there.
Good potential coming out, he can rest his knee this season since he probably
wont be used much even if healthy, and next year he can come back and fight for that nickel or dime spot.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or Moyal View Post
Heya, fellow fanboys. I'm sure we've all written up endless mocks and run possible scenarios through our collective heads to the point of redundancy. The purpose of this excercise is to put down a potential target you have in mind for each of the Cowboys' first six selections. I set the cap at 5th rounders because personally, I don't know enough to assess players below that rung.
Disclaimer: Let's be realistic people. McFadden's not slipping to 22, Gholston won't be there at 28.

Rd.1, Pick 22: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon. Stewart is a terrific, game-breaking running back. He won't necessarily be 100% for the start of the season, but Barber can carry the entire load until he is.
Rd. 1, Pick 28: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State. It's arguable that no wide receiver in this draft has Thomas' upside. While he comes with his share of concerns, foremost amongst them outcries of Sample Size Theater, he is the gamebreaker Jerry longs for.
Rd. 2, Pick 28: Justin King, CB, Penn State. Sans PacMan, I'd take a Corner like Reggie Smith or Antoine Cason with the 28th pick. His pickup seems to be more and more of an eventuality, however, so I'm going for a solid 2nd round corner. King could play Nate Jones during his rookie season, then take over the nickel when Anthony Henry is let go.
Rd. 3, Pick 28: Frank Okam, DT, Texas. I'm hoping The Rat is moved back to DE next year and Tank is given the brunt of the load at Tackle. In this case, we have absolutely nobody to back him up. Here's where Okam comes in. He's a prototypical Nose Tackle, being arguably the biggest DT in the draft. He has a propensity for big plays, but a reputation for taking some off. As a backup, this issue should be contained rather well.
Rd. 4, Pick 28: John David Booty, QB, USC. Why am I selecting a QB for a team that clearly doesn't need one? Because I've seen the value of a quality backup. Booty is arguably the most pro-ready of any collegiate prospect, doesn't kill his team (although his upside is suspect) and has stated that he would love to become a Cowboy.
Rd. 5, Pick 28:Tommy Blake, DE, TCU. Blake was a surefire first round prospect coming into this year, and then he ran into issues that sidelined him for over a month and kept him above effective playing weight for the remainder of the season. Needless to say, very few prospects have seen their stock drop so precipitously. Blake's and TCU's loss is the Cowboy' gain, as they grab a 4-3 DE (read: pass rusher) almost big enough to play the 3-4. In this scenario, Blake would be close to home, which would help alleviate any of his psychological issues, and the coaching staff would harness his newfound love of food to employ him as a DE in our scheme.

Hmmm.... I actually would not hate that draft.

When I first looked at it, I thought "UGH" too many question marks (Stewart, Thomas, Booty) and too many reported "lazy" players (Okam, Blake).

But, as solid as we are at this point, we can take a few risks, like Chris Canty was. In 2005, we could have taken Trent Cole, who went to Phili and has also turned out pretty good.

All said, with Pacman and a healthy Henry, King might not be asked to play a huge role his first year.

I give you an A- on those 6 picks.
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 AM    (permalink
gus82witten

What about Vince Redd from Liberty? Cannot teach Size and speed!!! Same hometown as Jason Witten!!!