Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Diego Chargers Team Forum

San Diego Chargers Team Forum Discuss the Bolts

Old 02-25-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
jivixzoner

Chargers will pick up Michael Griffen.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Cerni88
Rookie

Cerni88 is a cocksman.Cerni88 is a cocksman.Cerni88 is a cocksman.

i say we pick up a middle linebacker.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:28 PM    (permalink
jivixzoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_V View Post
i say we pick up a middle linebacker.
I don't think we can rely on kiel anymore.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:54 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

How about Sidney Rice or another WR?
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's beginning to look like Dwayne Jarrett might be there at 30. How awesome would that be? Forget 40 times, any game film will show you that DJ is a big game player.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:21 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
How about Sidney Rice or another WR?
Rather not have Rice. I'd much rather have Jason Hill right now. We need some big play recievers to complement VJ. Hill's a polished reciever, but also a home run hitting deep threat.

As far as Safety, lets see how Griffin and Weddle work out. I've said I really like Weddle personally, but we'll see how they work out. You could throw Meriweather into that group as well.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
It's beginning to look like Dwayne Jarrett might be there at 30. How awesome would that be? Forget 40 times, any game film will show you that DJ is a big game player.
I'll believe Jarrett is falling that far when I see it. Considering the USC influence in Tennessee, if he is there, the Titans would take him I think. He's just too good of a player to fall that far.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

Right now, either Jarret, Meachem, or Griffen. Hopefully they are all there. Meachem probably won't be after his 4.35 40 at the combine

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

BoltHype hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Meachem would be a dream, but we will look real hard at the available wideouts.

I guy I really like in round 2 is Safety Josh Gattis, and hopefully we can pick up a guard like Manny Ramirez in round 3.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Here's the other thing, we could have as many as five day one picks, depending on what happens with Turner, and possibly two first rounders. That's alot of ammo for a trade-up. I know that's not AJ's style, but if a guy like Landry or even Ginn could be obtained via trade up, that's a possibility that he needs to explore.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:43 PM    (permalink
sdpads24
Veteran

sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.sdpads24 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltHype View Post
Meachem would be a dream, but we will look real hard at the available wideouts.

I guy I really like in round 2 is Safety Josh Gattis, and hopefully we can pick up a guard like Manny Ramirez in round 3.
Gattis? Are you kidding me? He shouldn't be a day one pick. I don't think he could ever be a starter for anyone. A typical backup/special teams player. I would rather have Rouse,Wendling,White, Weddle, Meriweather. Ramirez probably won't last untill the 3rd

Thanks to Bantx for the cool sig.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Last edited by sdpads24 : 02-26-2007 at 11:19 PM.
sdpads24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpads24 View Post
Gattis? Are you kidding me? He shouldn't be a day one pick. I don't think he could ever be a starter for anyone. A typical backup/special teams player. I would rather have Rouse,Wendling,White,Weddle, Weddle, Meriweather. Ramirez probably won't last untill the 3rd
yes gattis. didnt get the hype coming from a smaller school, but the dude can play and has the size we need, not to mention high-character, smart, and a leader. oh and also all-acc with 70+ tackles and 5 INTs in each of his last two seasons.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Here's the other thing, we could have as many as five day one picks, depending on what happens with Turner, and possibly two first rounders. That's alot of ammo for a trade-up. I know that's not AJ's style, but if a guy like Landry or even Ginn could be obtained via trade up, that's a possibility that he needs to explore.
i would rather hang on to Turner for one more year and guarantee that we have a strong offensive backfield. we dont have as many holes on the team that we NEED two first rounders. it would be nice, sure, but unless we can trade turner for a top 15 pick, I'd rather keep him.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
i would rather hang on to Turner for one more year and guarantee that we have a strong offensive backfield. we dont have as many holes on the team that we NEED two first rounders. it would be nice, sure, but unless we can trade turner for a top 15 pick, I'd rather keep him.
The problem is, do you keep him for 2007 as a luxury and let him walk next year for nothing? Or get what you can for him now? I'm a big Turner fan and he's been a key part of our running game. But the guy is going to probably be offered starters money, and a first rounder could be obtained in the exchange.

Turner doesn't really have much long term value for the Chargers, because he is gone no matter what after 07. But a first round pick has lots of long term value, and the team was built from the ground up by having lots of day one draft picks.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
The problem is, do you keep him for 2007 as a luxury and let him walk next year for nothing? Or get what you can for him now? I'm a big Turner fan and he's been a key part of our running game. But the guy is going to probably be offered starters money, and a first rounder could be obtained in the exchange.

Turner doesn't really have much long term value for the Chargers, because he is gone no matter what after 07. But a first round pick has lots of long term value, and the team was built from the ground up by having lots of day one draft picks.
With Norv Turner as the new head coach, there will be tremendous pressure for the Chargers to start fast in 2007. Getting to the playoffs and making some noise once there is the expectation in San Diego, and all eyes will be on AJ Smith and Norv Turner. With all weight of the entire football worldís eyes on the Chargersí backs, I donít think AJ Smith can afford to let a known commodity and consistent performer leave the team right now. I see Turner coming back for one more season, intrigued by the possibility of becoming more involved in the offense with Norv at the helm.

Letís also acknowledge the fact that while Tomlinson is Superman-like, the threat of injury is still very real. Mike Turner is extremely familiar with the system and is more than capable of handling the load should LT go down for an extended period of time. Keeping Mike for one more season fits another one of AJ Smithís themes of having capable backups in place in case of injury. Sproles clearly isnít an every-down back and shouldnít be relied on to handle the backup duties exclusively.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
SDSupaChargers
Rookie

SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SDSupaChargers hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Realistically from the choices I think might be available I would say Griffin and Rice are my top two for us to pick with our first rounder. If they are gone then Weddle or Meriweather. And by all means, if somehow Ginn or Jarrett drop then we should definitely get them.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meachem will most likely get picked up by cowboys or something, and even if they pass him up he'll get picked up, can't go wrong with a fast 6'3 WR.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

"Forget 40 times, any game film will show you that DJ is a big game player."

Much like Mike Williams. But he proved sometimes a 40 does matter, because he cant even get seperation from some LB's. And its different for Williams because he has the strength to do so, DJ doesnt.

i gaurantee 3rd downs will be an improvement.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:38 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivixzoner View Post
Chargers will pick up Michael Griffen.
WTF i swore i started this thread weakkkkk

Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
With Norv Turner as the new head coach, there will be tremendous pressure for the Chargers to start fast in 2007. Getting to the playoffs and making some noise once there is the expectation in San Diego, and all eyes will be on AJ Smith and Norv Turner. With all weight of the entire football world’s eyes on the Chargers’ backs, I don’t think AJ Smith can afford to let a known commodity and consistent performer leave the team right now. I see Turner coming back for one more season, intrigued by the possibility of becoming more involved in the offense with Norv at the helm.

Let’s also acknowledge the fact that while Tomlinson is Superman-like, the threat of injury is still very real. Mike Turner is extremely familiar with the system and is more than capable of handling the load should LT go down for an extended period of time. Keeping Mike for one more season fits another one of AJ Smith’s themes of having capable backups in place in case of injury. Sproles clearly isn’t an every-down back and shouldn’t be relied on to handle the backup duties exclusively.
I don't believe that AJ Smith's plan entails making a championship run having spent our 1st rounder on a WR. Rookies typically don't contribute that much at WR, and that's not what this team needs. I think he's got a trade or a free agent target in mind for this team, and that we end up with a 1st round safety.

And just because BMW busted doesn't mean Jarrett will. Believe it or not, they are different people.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:06 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Personally, I am hoping the Chargers go for Michael Griffin at 30, assuming it is their only draft pick. With the 1st and 3rd tender on MT it is unlikely a team will pony up those two picks, but a trade could still be worked out if reasonable. In such a case I would not be opposed to drafting a WR in the first round also, but I think Grififn is a much bigger impact player in his first year. The main thing I have against the WR argument is that recievers need 3 years before they break out, typicallyand if we draft a WR we are saying that VJ might not get that chance to break out. Before we panic on the WR situation it is important to realize that we have a strong young WR in VJ, and a TE who is a viable #1 option. For that reason I think it more important, and more reasonable to take an impact player like Griffin in the first, and get a WR to stretch the field later in the draft.

Oh and for the if Jarret falls to 30 argument, nothing personal against him, and he can blossom into a great WR. But its a fact that he is big and slow. Well not fact, the rumor is he will struggle to break into the 4.6's. While I know a reciever is more than just his 40 time, the Chargers have all the big physical WR's they need. The only realistic reciever I would be interested in in round 1 would be Meachem, the rest are either too much of what we aready have , or will never fall to 30.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 AM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we lose Dielman don't be surprised if we get Grubbs in the first. I love the Safeties in this class, and really would want any of the following: Meriweather, Griffin, Nelson, Piscitelli, Rouse, Weddle, and Wendling. I truly believe we will land one of them, which is exciting. I think we also pick up a receiver on the first day.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
I don't believe that AJ Smith's plan entails making a championship run having spent our 1st rounder on a WR. Rookies typically don't contribute that much at WR, and that's not what this team needs. I think he's got a trade or a free agent target in mind for this team, and that we end up with a 1st round safety.

And just because BMW busted doesn't mean Jarrett will. Believe it or not, they are different people.
it all depends on who is there. If you heard AJ Smith's press conference yesterday, he made it clear that the WR corp is going to be upgraded.

its a deep safety class so we dont HAVE to take one in the first. it all depends on who is there when we pick.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

WR will be upgraded hopefully in FA and maybe draft a WR 2-3 round. Drafting a WR at #30 doesnt make sense, so pick up a fairly good vet, tutor the young WR and let him grow.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 PM    (permalink
BoltHype
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
WR will be upgraded hopefully in FA and maybe draft a WR 2-3 round. Drafting a WR at #30 doesnt make sense, so pick up a fairly good vet, tutor the young WR and let him grow.
who is there in the FA market???