Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-25-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bobby Petrino just about threw the O-Line under the Bus!

Quote:
Petrino and his staff have digested all of the video from last season and are ready to see the players up close and in person. One of the top priorities is to improve a passing game that ranked 32nd in the league last season. The staff is confident that quarterback Michael Vick, with the proper protection, can develop into a better passer.

"We've spent a lot of time evaluating all of his throws and made a lot of videotape," Petrino said. "So we've looked at all of his three-step throws, his five-step, his deep play action. We really feel like he can make all of the throws you need to make."

Petrino doesn't plan to put the entire onus of improving the passing attack on Vick.

"I've always been adamant about the fact that your passing game is as good as all 11 guys on the field," Petrino said. "You have to do a great job of teaching and working on timing, our protection, our quarterback being at the right spot, our receivers being open at the right time. We have a lot of work ahead of us.

"But I certainly know that Michael can do it. He's energized and motivated about coming in and learning our offense. He's started learning it."

If Petrino has his way, Vick won't be anywhere near 1,000 rushing yards next season.

"It's amazing," he said. "But the thing that I liked when you watched Michael on his runs was that he protected himself. He'd get out of bounds. He did get down at times. He didn't take the hits running."

During the staff's video study, they noticed that Vick was in more danger dropping back to pass. "What concerned me was the hits that he took when he was throwing the ball, in the pocket," Petrino said.
This is why I want to trade down. Acquire as many picks as possible, then fill all the needs. Mostly on the O-Line. Where talent, youth, and depth are clearly lacking. Look at what the Packers did last year, when they re-tooled the O-Line. Now it looks to be the strength of their team. Trade down, take Reggie Nelson. The rest of day-1 can go into the trenches, and a power RB type. Forney is the only Lineman I actually like. While I can live with Weiner, and tolerate McClure.

Last edited by Shiver : 02-25-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
DeangeloHall4President

Do you think that the Falcons would consider Levi Brown if he were still there at pick #10. Or would you rather still trade down? If you trade down far say into the early 20's then you could pick up Merriweather or he might be available at the end of the 1st round.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Before the combine, I would've said yes. His stock is in a free fall with his workouts. So now I am not so sure.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:55 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
This is why I want to trade down. Acquire as many picks as possible, then fill all the needs. Mostly on the O-Line. Where talent, youth, and depth are clearly lacking. Look at what the Packers did last year, when they re-tooled the O-Line. Now it looks to be the strength of their team. Trade down, take Reggie Nelson. The rest of day-1 can go into the trenches, and a power RB type. Forney is the only Lineman I actually like. While I can live with Weiner, and tolerate McClure.
Yeah. Too bad like the whole Falcon community over at afmb disagrees.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Yeah. Too bad like the whole Falcon community over at afmb disagrees.
"TRADE 4 CJ!!! 4.35!!! HE PLAYED AT GT!!! KEEP HIM HOME MCKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ugh. What's sad is that was probably a direct quote for all I know. That place gets on my nerves like none other.

Last edited by Shiver : 02-26-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
"TRADE 4 CJ!!! 4.35!!! HE PLAYED AT GT!!! KEEP HIM HOME MCKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ugh. What's sad is that was probably a direct quote for all I know. That place gets on my nerves like none other.
Sigh. Yep. And even in pure football...ever single thread is about the same damn thing.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:49 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Sigh. Yep. And even in pure football...ever single thread is about the same damn thing.
It's either a Schaub/Vick thread, or a Calvin Johnson thread. Not to mention a severe lack of I.Q or conversioning skills by the majority of the posters.

Last edited by Shiver : 02-26-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Let's look in depth towards the O-Line:

Right Tackle
  • - Todd Weiner isn't in the vein of a typical Right Tackle. Most schemes use the RT as a road grader. Will be 32 years old by next year. Solid, but unspectacular across the board. Could eventually be upgraded upon.

Right Guard
  • - Kynan Forney is easily the team's best Lineman. He possesses a nasty mean streak. He brings physicality and strength. He is ideal for our scheme transition

Center
  • - Todd McClure lacks ideal bulk. He is more in the vein of a zone pivot, than a power-O pivot. Not to mention he is 30 years old

Left Guard
  • - Who knows who will be plugged in here. Likely either in Free Agency or the draft than anyone on the roster. Clabo, Lehr, Ojinnaka are all Z.B.S fits. Whereas I think a road grader is who will eventually be the starter.

Left Tackle
  • - Wayne Gandy is hardly what you would want from your Left Tackle. He struggled in pass protection, especially later on. He will be 36-years old. Behind him is Frank Omiyale, who may not ever be a decent player.

As you can see, I wouldn't mind spending the majority of our draft on Offensive Line.

Youth
Talent
Depth

Are all in desperate need. That is why I want as many 1st-4th round picks as possible. Trade down, trade Schaub, I don't care. I think it's pretty clear, retooling the O-Line will be the priority of the '07 off-season.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Forney is a beast and everyone else is medicore at best.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The thing about CJ is, he would be WONDERFUL for Atlanta. I know it's annoying to hear about it. But if we get him there isn't a player in this draft who could make me happier than CJ would.

I think we should trade up to #2 overall, if CJ is picked at #1, then take Joe Thomas @ #2 and it would be fine by me.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

See, I don't want to trade up, I want to trade down. Acquire as many picks as possible. As I have previously mentioned, the O-Line, D-Line and Defensive Backfield need a revamping.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well those lineman are made for the ZBS and Petrino doesn't run that so alot of them will be gone I'm sure

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Well those lineman are made for the ZBS and Petrino doesn't run that so alot of them will be gone I'm sure

But I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Forney, McClure and Weiner played in Dan Reeves' traditional blocking scheme. So I think the right side is set. The problem is is the left side, as well as depth.

Old 02-26-2007, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think much of the draft will obviously depend on how Petrino and the Falcons organization works towards free agents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okoye or Anderson FTW
Old 02-27-2007, 03:28 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I think much of the draft will obviously depend on how Petrino and the Falcons organization works towards free agents.
Unfortunately whatever quality lineman there is will be over-payed like no ones business. I think this year, unlike the past couple, the team is very quiet in free agency.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I saw this on another Falcons board, quoting ESPN:

Quote:
Starting left tackle Wayne Gandy will be 36 this year and had problems with pass protection in the second half of last season. However, he was still an upgrade over former starting left tackle Kevin Shaffer, who signed with the Browns last offseason. There is still hope that backup Frank Omiyale will be able eventually to replace Gandy, but he must continue to get stronger as a run blocker. Omiyale and last year's fifth-round pick, Quinn Ojinnaka, have very limited playing experience, which is a problems for the Falcons.
Hopefully that is the case. If so, then we only have to get a stud road grader at LG.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:56 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I am just ready for our offensive line to get built up, sick of Vick getting smashed in the pocket.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

From PFT:

Quote:
STEINBACH TO VISIT BROWNS

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that free-agent offensive lineman will fly from Chicago to Cleveland on Friday, weather permitting.

We heard on Thursday night that Steinbach already has a verbal deal with the Browns.

Cabot reports that the Seahawks are also interested, and that another NFC team wants to bring him in as a left tackle (our wild-ass, sleep-deprived guess is that it's either the Giants or the Bucs).
Atlanta perhaps?

Old 03-02-2007, 03:25 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

If we don't atleast make a run at him he must not fit what Petrino likes.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I don't think Steinbach fits what Petrino wants, at guard. I definitely think were one of the teams looking at him as a LT. Him and Petitgout are the only decent options at LT out there.