Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default slew of rule changes made

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3325273

no more force outs
no more 5 yard facemask
field goals are reviewable
couple of new ways to fumble

interesting stuff i think.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the force out rule is special ed. some of the most amazing catches happen on the sideline and now defenders just get to knock them out of bounds if they are in the air??

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
the force out rule is special ed. some of the most amazing catches happen on the sideline and now defenders just get to knock them out of bounds if they are in the air??
Yeah this doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:32 AM    (permalink
NEtimehester

Quote:
Not a good change in my opinion. Might see a little less passes thrown to the outside.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
This will make the field more narrow. Dont like the rule change at all.

Sick Sig by BoneKrusher

WHO DAT
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 AM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Could a strong guy catch a reciever and carry him out of bounds now?

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would imagine it would just be from impact. There would be no carrying allowed.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would imagine it would just be from impact. There would be no carrying allowed.
yeah, in fact they even said on first take that you cant carry a guy out.

think about it this way though, there will be a lot more cataclysmic collisions along the sidelines with DBs trying to knock them out.

im in favor of the rule change simply because it removes a non-reviewable judgment call from the refs hands.

plus im a big fan of defense and its always bugged me that the nfl just keeps on making it easier for offenses. this one goes back on that a little bit
Old 04-02-2008, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Thunder&Lightning
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thunder&Lightning is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This limits the game much more im not a fan of this move the NFL made. Glad to see fielf goals can be reviewed now...Seems like NFL is trying to get rid of pure judgement calls now... Not sure if i agree with this...

Thunder&Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Yea, I agree it helps the defense out and I agree, I am more a defense guy than I am offense but there are better ways to do it.

With that said, I am a sucker for a sideline sexy catch. And this takes that away if the WR is in the air. And plus, it usually isn't hard to make the right call on if he would have landed or not. 90% of those calls are pretty dang obvious.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

- Yeah, the no more force-out leaves me a bit uneasy too. Not sure if I really like that, even if there was occassional inconsistency with force-out before. but now it should be more cut-and-dried, just get two feet in-bounds.

- I don't think I like taking away 5-yard facemask penalties either. So we're just going to let minor facemasking slide? Unless a guy has to near kill a man by grabbing his facemask, it's not worth a penalty? I don't like that.

- I do like the option, from winning the coin toss to open the game, to defer receiving the ball to the second half like the college game features. That's excellent. I'd personally want to receive the ball to start the second half every time, myself.

- Reviewing field goals makes sense. That was an obvious move.

- Not bothered that playoff reseeding didn't go through, although I think I would have liked to have seen it. Teams like Jacksonville who post better records and are better teams than some division champ who is from a lesser division and is a lesser team (ie. 2007 Steelers) ... granted, there's something inherent to winning your division, but should the Giants really be playing at Tampa instead of the other way around? Eh.

It's funny though that everyone talks about the Colts/Titans game, because playoff reseeding wouldn't have mattered. The Colts had the second best record in the AFC. If the Browns and the fans want to still whine and cry about it, fine, but they should place the blame on themselves for losing to Oakland, Arizona, and getting swept by the Steelers.

- Also, I don't think the communication with a defensive player will help the game as much as people think. Honestly I think it just opens the door to more shady stuff.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
Could a strong guy catch a reciever and carry him out of bounds now?
Yeah the ESPN article did say that if the reciever was carried out it would be a catch. The biggest one no one is talking about is the D-Players allowed to use radios now.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We actually have a whole thread about the defensive player radios.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't mind the force out rule, but now they have to get rid of the two feet in bounds. Now a defender can knock a guy out after only stepping in with one foot, which is a little messed up.

If anyone isn't aware, the knock-out rule is the same in college football.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
I don't mind the force out rule, but now they have to get rid of the two feet in bounds. Now a defender can knock a guy out after only stepping in with one foot, which is a little messed up.

well it will separate the great receivers from the good ones if they can work to get both feet down or not...

like i said before, im a defensive minded guy and i like the fact that the nfl changed a rule to help out the D for a change after so many years of trying to increase scoring by helping the O
Old 04-02-2008, 04:45 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

In regards to the force outs. You either catch it or you don't, I like it.

We will separate the tough receivers from the not so tough ones.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitschke-Hawk View Post
In regards to the force outs. You either catch it or you don't, I like it.

We will separate the tough receivers from the not so tough ones.
It has nothing to do with toughness. Boldin could be in the air and if he was hit hard enough he would go out of bounds. What does toughness have to do with that??

Old 04-02-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't mind the no force out rule, I think some of you are thinking about it in the wrong way.

For one, now physical receivers and DBs will be given a slight advantage. I welcome this change because the pass interference rules are slanted towards the receiver anyway, this balances them out a bit. It also leads to more physical confrontations at the sideline which will be fun to watch and breed more "football" guys at receiver instead of track guys. And of course the calls will be more accurate and fair, something we all can appreciate.

This doesn't mean the end of sideline circus catches, it could be a new beginning for them. It will make for great catches for those who can make the catch as well as take the hit or dodge the hit or whatever they do to stay in bounds.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:51 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post

I agree...

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with toughness. Boldin could be in the air and if he was hit hard enough he would go out of bounds. What does toughness have to do with that??
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Don't leave the ground if a DB is closing in on you?

Might not be what you want to hear but it's what receivers will have to start doing. It's not much different from how they think when going over the middle, if you don't want a concussion that is.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
This doesn't mean the end of sideline circus catches, it could be a new beginning for them. It will make for great catches for those who can make the catch as well as take the hit or dodge the hit or whatever they do to stay in bounds.
Once again, you can't dodge in mid air. There was only one and will only be one Barry Sanders and he unfortunately is retired. You can name all of the toughest individuals in the NFL but if the jump in the air and you run at them and while they are in the air and hit them, they will move. I believe there is a scientific law stating such.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
Don't leave the ground if a DB is closing in on you?

Might not be what you want to hear but it's what receivers will have to start doing. It's not much different from how they think when going over the middle, if you don't want a concussion that is.
Well yea but those types of catches have nothing to do with a force out. The force out is when they are in the air and get pushed/hit out of bounds before they have a chance.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Nitschke-Hawk
Pro Bowler

Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.Nitschke-Hawk could make a wolverine purr.

What I mean by my comment is we'll see how bad they really want to make that catch. Chances are the tougher minded receivers will make more of those types of catches than ever.

Bosanac01
Nitschke-Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
AllDayFootball724
Rookie

AllDayFootball724 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What did we do before the force out rule have guys like Chris Carter make amazing sideline catches. I like the rule I think it opens it up for more spectacular catches. Wr just will have to work a little harder now, it evens it a little more now, 5 yard bump vs. no more force out rule.
AllDayFootball724 is offline   Reply With Quote