Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-26-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.
Default CARRICKER for #10

6'6", 296, 4.85. Dominated every day at the Senior Bowl.

He'd be well worth #10. In fact, we may be lucky to get him there.

Remember that Zimmer has said that the defense will focus on stopping the run, even if it takes all 11 guys in the box. With Carriker manning the power end spot - and Boley emerging as a pro-bowler at SLB - we won't need to worry about the opposition running right. Carriker would just be purrfect.

Even better, Kirwan wrote on NFL.com today that Schaub is rated around the league at around #15 value. It makes it a somewhat more realistic prospect that we might be both a DE and FS in the 1st round.

We could even trade that #15 down, looking for Levi Brown around #20 territory. McKay, please don't hang onto Schaub just for the sake of it...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
6'6", 296, 4.85. Dominated every day at the Senior Bowl.

He'd be well worth #10. In fact, we may be lucky to get him there.

Remember that Zimmer has said that the defense will focus on stopping the run, even if it takes all 11 guys in the box. With Carriker manning the power end spot - and Boley emerging as a pro-bowler at SLB - we won't need to worry about the opposition running right. Carriker would just be purrfect.
I agree. In my mind Carricker is better than Jamaal Anderson. He is bigger, more polished, and more 'freakish' in his size:speed ratio. He would be ideal at Power End. He would definitely be a improvement over Patrick Kerney, in run defense. Who was overwhelmed in run defense the past two years. Carricker added in 33 reps of 225. Fans in general are too obsessed with sack totals. I will rather have a dominant run stuffing DE, who adds in 6-8 sacks. Rather than a sack master, who struggles in run defense. Ideally you would want a Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, someone who could do both.

Quote:
Even better, Kirwan wrote on NFL.com today that Schaub is rated around the league at around #15 value. It makes it a somewhat more realistic prospect that we might be both a DE and FS in the 1st round.

We could even trade that #15 down, looking for Levi Brown around #20 territory. McKay, please don't hang onto Schaub just for the sake of it...
The fact that the Texans are likely keeping Carr, Jaguars keeping Leftwich, his value is even higher. I don't think we keep Schaub, for a couple of reasons;
  • He doesn't seem to be an ideal fit for Petrino's vertical offense.
  • We won't get anything from him next year.
  • The team has a lot of needs.

I hope we trade him. This team has a lot of needs.

Last edited by Shiver : 02-26-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:31 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adam Carriker put up a better short shuttle than most Linebackers...

Woah

Old 02-26-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't like Carriker I'm not a fan at all really. I think we're getting Calvin
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
No offense, Oxy, but you sound a little like the peeps on AFMB. What is possibly wrong with Carriker? As things stand, I'd actually be surprised if we get a shot at him...

I do appreciate the greatness of CJ, but a dominant LDE (plus the necessary trade picks, don't forget) would be more important to this team than a dominant WR.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rod View Post
No offense, Oxy, but you sound a little like the peeps on AFMB.
In deed.

Quote:
What is possibly wrong with Carriker? As things stand, I'd actually be surprised if we get a shot at him...
He isn't a sack artist. Most people when they think of Defensive Ends is not how they disrupt the run, but how many sacks they get. A 6-8 sack run stuffer isn't as enamoring as a pass rusher.

Quote:
I do appreciate the greatness of CJ, but a dominant LDE (plus the necessary trade picks, don't forget) would be more important to this team than a dominant WR.
I couldn't agree more. I am so tired of the constant Calvin Johnson talk. It's Madden-esque day dreaming.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Angry

Please pass on him. Please please. Him AND okoye.

Take nelson! Hell be good for you! :p
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Please pass on him. Please please. Him AND okoye.

Take nelson! Hell be good for you! :p

Yeah I am not liking the fact that we are picking ahead of the 49ers...

Hopefully the last time! LOL

Old 02-26-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
How exactly will be able Falcons get CJ?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan View Post
How exactly will be able Falcons get CJ?
Pulling a "Ditka," which I feel would KILL this franchise. It would take 10th, Schaub, and 44th at the least. When WR is well down on the 'need' list.

Last edited by Shiver : 02-26-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Pulling a "Ditka," which I feel would KILL this franchise. It would take 10th, Schaub, and 44th at the least. When WR is well down on the 'need' list.
Oh, I see.

Also, I just read what I wrote...what a bad sentence.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Carricker is my choice SO LONG AS WE TRADE SHAUB AND GET NEW FS AND OT BEFORE ROUND 3.

So at the combine Carriker ran a 4.85? What did Jamaal Anderson run? Where can i find a link to this
Old 02-26-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftMichaelHuff View Post
Carricker is my choice SO LONG AS WE TRADE SHAUB AND GET NEW FS AND OT BEFORE ROUND 3.

So at the combine Carriker ran a 4.85? What did Jamaal Anderson run? Where can i find a link to this
Anderson didn't work out. Carriker did, and he was a beast. He was also a show stealer at the Senior Bowl.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Damn! look at his profile picture hes one big ugly run stuffer. Not Pat McQinstan ugly, but very ugly none the less. Hopefully we draft him at #10 putting Ike Reese's crown as the ugliest falcon in jeopardy
Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Falcons | Team talks with Carriker
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:55:09 -0800

During his NFL Combine interview, Nebraska DE Adam Carriker said he spoke with the Atlanta Falcons.
News from KFFL

Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
flrybranch
Rookie

flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.

Carriker at #10 and Woodley at #44.

DE taken care of for the next 8 years.
flrybranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have far too many needs to draft DE back to back when we have alot tied up in Abe.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 PM    (permalink
flrybranch
Rookie

flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
We have far too many needs to draft DE back to back when we have alot tied up in Abe.
It could work, here is a quick mock that is gets us two OL, a FS a NB a big RB. That should address several of our depth problems. Abe gets hurt a lot.

Now I'm not saying this is how it will happen, just saying we could.....

Rnd 1 #10 Adam Carriker DE Neb

Rnd 2 #44 LaMarr Woodley DE Mich

Rnd 3 #75 Tony Ugoh OT Ark

Rnd 3 #96 (Comp pick) Aundrea Allison WR ECU

Rnd 4 #105 Eric Weddle S Utah

Rnd 4 #117 David Irons CB AU

Rnd 5 around #140 Kolby Smith RB UL

Rnd 6 around #180 Mike Otto OG Perdue

Rnd 7 around #240 (comp pick) Joe Anoai DT/DE GT
flrybranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

That mock draft is outrageously optimistic.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

its outrageously something ill tell you that much
Old 02-26-2007, 09:00 PM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

seriously tho we need 4 new starters at the end of this offseason. FS DE OT OG the most surefire way of getting starters is early, dispite some exceptions (but thats really a crapshoot)
I love the talk of Dockery its a perfect fit
I'd love a Shaub trade to Oakland because

we'd get #33
they wont take a 1st round Qb meaning Calvin is a possibility of going before the Bucs pick

then
#10 Adam Carricker
#33 Joe Staley
#42 Brendan Merriweather
#74 hmm Aaron Rouse or best WR available with good hands, ACTUALLY if we had the dream start to the first day as i have sketched id be happy to take Mason Crosby
Old 02-26-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jumps on bandwagon. Weee....

This DE class is amazing.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Jumps on bandwagon. Weee....

This DE class is amazing.

The team has needs at OG and DE. This draft is stacked in both. So in that case the team is very fortunate.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:00 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
The team has needs at OG and DE. This draft is stacked in both. So in that case the team is very fortunate.
Yup. There's no chance of us getting a good DE in FA, so we have to draft a DE first up. On the other hand, there are a lot of good OGs in FA, so we'll probably look there for a FA.

However, one option would be to really upgrade the OG position longterm, by drafting someone in the 2nd or 3rd. In that case, I'd advocate signing the 35 year old Adam Timmerman, on a one year vet minimum, and drafting a guy, thus giving him one year to learn. Timmerman can still produce, he just got shafted by the Rams because he got injured for the last three games and a rookie performed very well in his place.

Alternatively, we do have a lot of youth at the OG position: Claxton, Clabo, Ojinnaka, maybe even Omiyale, so there may not be a need to draft there unless a real specimen falls to us (like Blaylock in the 3rd, which is not impossible).

As for Carricker's lack of pass rush, I'm not really that bothered. He'll probably pick up 7 or 8 sacks a year, which is plenty for a hulking LDE. If he can help us stuff the run, that puts us in the kind of 3rd and long situations which will allow Abe, Rod and Babs will dominate. So he would actually contribute to the pass rush as much as anyone...
Old 02-27-2007, 03:14 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Claxton, Clabo and Ojinnaka scream "Z.B.S" to me. I'm not sure any of them stick. I think a big road grader is what the team wants at Guard. The key is to trade Schaub, so we can fill all of these needs. This franchise will very much be decided on how the team addresses this off-season. Ideally, this draft gives Petrino enough young talent to mold this team to his preference. Yielding results and depth together.

By the way, further pro-Carriker reasonings;

Quote:
First and formost Production.

IN his last 26 starts (full starting seasons) he has

95 Tackles
33 Tackles for a Loss
16.5 sacks

That is what I call production, not to mention he did it in a 4-3.

Then we get to the combine.

Bench - He threw the bar up 33 times, which was as many times as Alan Branch.

20 Yard Shuttle (Lateral quickness, coordination and change of direction.) - He runs a freaking 4.18, which is really good for a LB but this guy is 6'6 296. He currently has the second fastest time of all DL players (6th if he were playing LB)

3 Cone Drill (Speed, quickness, flexibility, change of direction, body control) - He runs a 7.06 again second fastest of all defensive lineman (faster than adams).

But then your going to say he ran a 4.9 forty.

And I will pose the question when is a DE running 40 yards untouched. Also 4.9 at 6'6 296 is pretty freaking good.

He was the third rated DE going into the combine and I think he will be that coming out which is why we get him at 10. Not to mention he is a high work eithic high character guy that Mckay loves. IMO the perfect replacement for Kerney.
Don't forget; Zimmer is open to playing some 3-4 hybrid looks. He brings versatility to play 3-tech, 5-tech, 7-tech on the D-Line.

Downsides?

This is a deep DE draft, as mentioned. So we could add a dynamic FS, and still land with a Victor Abiamiri, or a Tim Crowder in round two.

Last edited by Shiver : 02-27-2007 at 03:47 AM.