Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 02-26-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Abdul Hodge/3-4 Defense?

I really think Abdul Hodge can be a good MLB in the NFL. Even though he's not great in coverage he's a tackling machine and has a good nose for the ball. That said, it seems like GB is determined to keep Barnett as their MLB which kinda leaves Hodge as the odd man out in the 4-3 defense that they currently run. An interesting idea would be for them to switch to a 3-4 instead. With the recent move of Cullen Jenkins to DE and Kampman on the other side we have two huge ends who can get a good rush as well as stop the run. If GB could get a real stout NT to eat up the middle I think we have the personnel to make the switch pretty easily, with a few FA & Draft additions.

If we could land Adalius Thomas we would have a sick (but expensive) set of LB's.

Poppinga(or upgrade,ie; Adalius Thomas)---Hodge---Barnett---Hawk

Then if we could just get a safety like Landry or Nelson in the draft, some help at CB, and a NT we would have a pretty strong defense.

Obviously this isn't gonna happen for next year since the scheme and co-ordinater are for the 4-3. I'm just looking down the road and trying to envision future possibilities.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:16 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive contempleted this before, it would give us a great rotation at DT(to bad we still dont have Grady at DT).
I think Pickett, Cole, and Williams would be a good rotation here. Also if we cant land the big LB like Thomas, then would anybody think KGB could be a good OLB?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Ive contempleted this before, it would give us a great rotation at DT(to bad we still dont have Grady at DT).
I think Pickett, Cole, and Williams would be a good rotation here. Also if we cant land the big LB like Thomas, then would anybody think KGB could be a good OLB?
I don't see KGB being able to be a 3-4 LB, I think he's merely a situational pass rusher at best these days. He'd be the odd man out if we switched to a 3-4, maybe they could trade him for something.

Quote:
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That would be very nice if things went our way but that wouldn't be easy. We already have a very nice 4-3 going so there isn't reason to change. I agree with what so said about Hodge and I think he could be good. It sucks that he has no room, but you don't change a defense so one guy can get in. If we did get Thomas it could be considered, but once again like you said we don't have the coordinater for it. I think it would be great to move Barnett outside, but it looks like it's not going to happen.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barnett stated last year he didnt want to play OLB

Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
No, not at all. He would get torn apart at LB. His problem at DE is he can't tackle or stop the run, that would be a huge problem for a LB. I wouldn't want him in coverage either. I'm pretty sure we tried that in the preseason a couple years ago and it wasn't pretty.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:37 PM    (permalink
cuzifelt1ikeit
Veteran

cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.
Unhappy

POSTED 7:10 p.m. EST, February 26, 2007

ADALIUS HAS A DEALIO?

An industry source tells us that Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas already has a deal in place with the San Francisco 49ers.

Thomas and Niners coach Mike Nolan were together in Baltimore, when Nolan was on Brian Billick's staff.

On Sunday, Thomas admitted that the Ravens "don't have the money" to re-sign him.

sorry dont know how to quote articles yet. but this kinda blows this out of the water although i would love to have him come to GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNall4MVP
biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver
cuzifelt1ikeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

link? ....................
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

I'm not surprised at all if he actually is signing with the 49ers. The fact that they run a 3-4, have a ton of cap room, and that Mike Nolan pretty much developed Thomas is just too much for most teams too beat.

In a way it's probably for the best since it's unlikely we would utilize a 3-4 anyways. Not to mention he's already in his 30's and is gonna get a long term contract for a ton of money. Oh well, next option.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2007, 09:12 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We don't have the personnel for a 34. We won't switch to it unless we are ready for our defense to suck for a few years and want to get rid of most of our LBs and DLs.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

If we were to make the move, either Hodge, Barnett, or Hawk would have to take a seat on the bench in the base formation, because neither of those three is capable of playing the OLB position in a 3-4. Each one would be eaten up. Most 3-4 OLBs are 4-3 DEs.

Poppinga would be a fine OLB. Hawk and Barnett would fit well at the two ILB positions. Cullen Jenkins and Corey Williams would be good 3-4 ends. None of the DTs would be great fits at NT. The only feasable way to make it work would be to convert Kampman to OLB or trade him, two things that will never happen.

We're sticking with the 4-3, so get used to it. :)

Last edited by ny10804 : 02-26-2007 at 10:00 PM.
ny10804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont think Thomas is going to be special in our defence and Pop looked good the last 4-5 games. WE DONT NEED THOMAS!
Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny10804 View Post
If we were to make the move, either Hodge, Barnett, or Hawk would have to take a seat on the bench in the base formation, because neither of those three is capable of playing the OLB position in a 3-4. Each one would be eaten up. Most 3-4 OLBs are 4-3 DEs.

Poppinga would be a fine OLB. Hawk and Barnett would fit well at the two ILB positions. Cullen Jenkins and Corey Williams would be good 3-4 ends. None of the DTs would be great fits at NT. The only feasable way to make it work would be to convert Kampman to OLB or trade him, two things that will never happen.

We're sticking with the 4-3, so get used to it. :)
Aj Hawk could definately play 3-4 OLB. Kampman would not be a good fit there. Hawk would be a waste at OLB in the 3-4, but he would still be very good. I just doubt he would be hall of fame good, which I can see him being at OLB in the 4-3.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
ny10804
All-Pro

ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.ny10804 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
Aj Hawk could definately play 3-4 OLB. Kampman would not be a good fit there. Hawk would be a waste at OLB in the 3-4, but he would still be very good. I just doubt he would be hall of fame good, which I can see him being at OLB in the 4-3.
Just imagine AJ Hawk trying to pass rush against a tackle, one on one. I don't think there's any way he could be effective as an 3-4 OLB, who are expected to be the primary pass rushers in the 3-4.
ny10804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:15 AM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

If you went to a 3-4, Hawk and barnett/Hodge would be ILB's.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 AM    (permalink
ds8582
Rookie

ds8582 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Does Bob Sanders have any experience with a 3-4?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Kampman / Hodge / Barnett / Hawk

Jenkins / Pickett / Williams

maybe move up to get Demarcus "Tank" Tyler
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i don't think moving to the 3-4 is a good idea at all. our 4-3 is starting to look good.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Kampman / Hodge / Barnett / Hawk

Jenkins / Pickett / Williams

maybe move up to get Demarcus "Tank" Tyler
There is no way that Kampman could play 3-4 OLB. Poppinga's strength is his pass rushing. It would be
Poppinga/Hodge/Barnett/Hawk
Jenkins/Pickett/Kampman

However, Hawk's and Kampman's talents would be wasted in the that defense. It would be a horrible move.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
There is no way that Kampman could play 3-4 OLB. Poppinga's strength is his pass rushing. It would be
Poppinga/Hodge/Barnett/Hawk
Jenkins/Pickett/Kampman

However, Hawk's and Kampman's talents would be wasted in the that defense. It would be a horrible move.
There's no way the Packers move to a defense like that with the coaching and personnel they have.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barnett cant make a tackle behind the line already now u think he can play MLB in a 3-4? Vilma cant do it because he too small. We are not moving to a 3-4.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Microphon200
Rookie

Microphon200 smells like sex panther.

They can't switch to the 3-4 because they drafted Hawk and he is a classic 4-3 olb.
Microphon200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microphon200 View Post
They can't switch to the 3-4 because they drafted Hawk and he is a classic 4-3 olb.
They would NEVER wwitch in the near future.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

M1Koter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

even if they switched to a 3-4, Hodge would still not start, it would be hawk and Barnett in the middle with popinga and possibly KGB on the other side, not saying KGB is good enough but he would still make a better OLB in the 3-4 than Hodge would

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate
M1Koter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Sorry to bring this back up but what year's LB's/DE's would fit a 3-4