Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
He will be franchised next off-season most likely. Probably hes dealt a la Corey Williams.
That's a very plausible outcome, but like i said, He's on rental this year.

I doubt they'll get more value next year, with one more year of the league on his legs, and with a franchise tag that disgruntles anyone and everyone it touches.

Their best option would be to trade him now, when his value is at its highest.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post

I doubt they'll get more value next year, with one more year of the league on his legs, and with a franchise tag that disgruntles anyone and everyone it touches.

Whats more valuable to the Lions?

One season of Roy on the team + next years trade haul (I'lll speculate 2nd rounder)

or

This years trade haul. First round pick + maybe a little more.

I'm not sure really.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Whats more valuable to the Lions?

One season of Roy on the team + next years trade haul (I'lll speculate 2nd rounder)

or

This years trade haul. First round pick + maybe a little more.

I'm not sure really.
Well if i ran the Cowboys, i'd offer 28 this year and Bobby Carpenter. (The equivalent of a low first, high second).

Some people might not take into consideration that Roy Williams does have a say in where he wants to go, because no team is gonna trade anything good to the Lions if he says he's not going to re-sign. No one wants a headache and stagnant contract talks.

With Roy gone this year, they could implement CJ a lot more than they did last year, all things constant.

With a first they could address whatever need it is they have (i don't keep up much with the lions) and they would have already addressed their LB need with Carpenter, who might be better than most LB's in this draft, giving them the freedom to take BPA at 15, which could end up being Rashard Mendenhall, the top CB left, or an OT.

All they would get next year would be a DeAngelo Hall-esque deal, which IMO would be way worse.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:02 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think we can use Carpenter that much... but that is me. Not sure how well he fits for us. Where do you see him fitting in a 4-3?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:06 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I don't think we can use Carpenter that much... but that is me. Not sure how well he fits for us. Where do you see him fitting in a 4-3?
Why not?

He played MLB at Ohio State, and he's lined up for the Cowboys at pretty much every spot. He wasn't very effective when they made him put his hand on the ground, but last year in the playoffs against Seattle, when they gave him extensive playing time, he was beastly. He was everywhere on the field.

I'm not sure how the Lions defensive scheme works, or how it would take advantage of his skill-set, but if Ernie Sims; a short, stout and fast LB can be successful, i don't see why a bigger guy with as much speed as a lot of MLB's can't.

I mean correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post

One more year of legs for Roy, still in his prime. One more year of legs for TO,Terry Glenn,Joey Galloway,Chad Johnson,Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison who are on the wrong side of 30. Roy will have value next year. We'l have the money to resign him next year if we want and if we are playoff competitive or trade him if we have yet another bad year(but there will be interest). The entire NFC East has got a stiffy for Roy this season. I don't expect that to change especially if Roy plays hard in his contract year.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
One more year of legs for Roy, still in his prime. One more year of legs for TO,Terry Glenn,Joey Galloway,Chad Johnson,Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison who are on the wrong side of 30. Roy will have value next year. We'l have the money to resign him next year if we want and if we are playoff competitive or trade him if we have yet another bad year(but there will be interest). The entire NFC East has got a stiffy for Roy this season. I don't expect that to change especially if Roy plays hard in his contract year.
You realize that players that are currently on franchise tags don't have as much value as they would if they were under contract?

The bidding war will probably presume next year, but why wait that long and risk for an injury, when the likelihood of him being traded is nearly 100%?

That's as smart as holding a lottery ticket, and waiting a year to cash it.

There's no way he's resigning with them, so throw that out completely. Not only does he want money, but he wants to win also. Jon Kitna's game is deteriorating, they have little to no offensive line help, no running game, and the defense is close to putrid, so why would he stay?

You're basically in the same situation next year as far as having to trade him, so why wait a year??

This situation is like any other. When your stock/value/_(insert any analogy)_ is at it's highest, the only possible way it can go is down, so why risk it?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:31 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carpenter would make a great LB in a Tampa 2 scheme...I still remember the reports that had Carpenter and Spears on the chopping block, Fasano is another hot name as of lately, not sure what's Detroits use to him.

Carp is underrated because he doesn't do much for us, but he has great instincts and would fit well in that type of scheme, just not really sure how Millen would value him, or if there would be somebody he wanted at 28(Mayo?)

Gives them the option of going Mendenhall, Mayo in the first, Carp could play weakside(Sims is strong side correct?), and Mayo fills out the LB core...At worst case he is competition for somebody who is still only 24 yrs old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:47 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Carpenter would make a great LB in a Tampa 2 scheme...I still remember the reports that had Carpenter and Spears on the chopping block, Fasano is another hot name as of lately, not sure what's Detroits use to him.

Carp is underrated because he doesn't do much for us, but he has great instincts and would fit well in that type of scheme, just not really sure how Millen would value him, or if there would be somebody he wanted at 28(Mayo?)

Gives them the option of going Mendenhall, Mayo in the first, Carp could play weakside(Sims is strong side correct?), and Mayo fills out the LB core...At worst case he is competition for somebody who is still only 24 yrs old.
Sims plays WLB.

Anyway, I'm actually a fan of Carp, but would want more than just 1st + Carp. You can't consider Carp for what he *could* be, but for what he *has* been in the NFL.

I'd think a 1st, Carp and additional pick (either 2008 or 2009) would be ideal.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who are you telling?!?! If Det doesn't mind parting with him, he will be a Cowboy, thats all it is to it...I could easily see us getting in a bidding war, he's the veteran WR we are looking for, from Texas, not as outspoken as Chad and younger...Hell they can have 22 and some players, but I dont think we would hesitate.
I wonder... What about throwing Carpenter into a deal? I know his name is thrown into every trade imaginable, but I like him as a MLB and I think he'd do well on the inside of Ernie Sims.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You beat me to the punch. Although I would like Carp in the middle of a Tampa 2 a lot better than outside. And as already mentioned, Sims is a WILL 'backer.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasnt sure if Sims was a Will or not...Carp could play middle, I dont think he would be as appealing as Mayo for that defense, but I think he's a good fit in general in the Tampa 2 at least to push somebody for a spot...But I agree another future pick would be needed which would be fine by me...I'd also be fine with giving them another player...Spears could probably be a heck of a 4-3 NT but that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think we will move him if they can get a 1st, I would trade him at this point, he's going to leave after next year if we dont franchise him anyways.

Wouldn't mind get a vet and a 3rd for him

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought I was out... AND THEN THEY PULL ME RIGHT BACK IN!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Trade the one draft pick that has worked out so Millen can get more picks and blow those? I like it.
I really don't think he signs with us long-term. Do we trade him this off-season, franchise him and trade him next off-season, or let him go for nothing? I guess a fourth option is to throw $20+ million guaranteed at him so both of our receivers combine for $50 million guaranteed. That seems like a good strategy...
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote