Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Redskins offer on Chad

I'm not sure if this is deserving of a topic in it's own right, but it didn't seem to fit with anything else and is sure worthy of discussion somewhere outside team pages.

There was this report today

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Quote:
Redskins Again Make Play for C. Johnson
This in from the Jasons...

League sources said last Thursday that the Redskins made another offer to the Cincinnati Bengals for disgruntled Pro Bowl wide receiver Chad Johnson, offering Cincinnati first- and third-round picks in this weekend's draft for Johnson. In addition, the Redskins are prepared to guarantee Johnson about $21 million as part of a new contract. ESPN today reported the bulk of what we were told last week and were in the process of confirming with sources familiar with the Redskins' ongoing pursuit of Johnson.

As a rule, teams do not have much to say about such things particularly right before the draft and Redskins officials are currently unavailable to comment. However, the team's annual draft luncheon begins at 1 and you can bet this will be addressed. Stay tuned.

As we reported in January, acquiring Johnson is the Redskins' No. 1 offseason objective. Owner Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, executive vice president of football operations, told several head coaching candidates that they sought Johnson to be the primary target for developing quarterback Jason Campbell. The Redskins, however, have been repeatedly rebuffed in their attempts to complete a deal for Johnson.

Bengals owner Mike Brown has told several teams that he will not trade Johnson despite his antics, especially after recently restructuring Johnson's contract to elevate him among the league's highest-paid players at his position. Johnson's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, has a cozy relationship with Snyder and Cerrato and has been working behind the scenes to broker a trade.

With the 21st pick in the draft and nine picks overall, the Redskins, who have many needs to fill, could find it difficult to trade down if the top players they have targeted are off the board when they pick. The Redskins are expected to continue pursuing a deal for Johnson throughout the draft.
and there's this

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

Quote:
Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins that could have netted the Bengals two first-round draft picks, team and league sources said.

The Redskins offered its first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

As much as I am partial to the Redskins, this does scream tampering if the Redskins are talking money to other people. Now, granted, proving tampering is easier said than done, but this seems iffy.

As for the end result? I think Chad Johnson does help the team, but I'm not sure if giving up two firsts is worth it. A first and a 3rd seems a lot as well, although that's a bit more palatable. That said, the Redskins do have needs at DB and DL as well, along with a need to get younger on the OL. They could still have a 2nd/3rd. That said, Cincinnati doesn't seem likely to take any deal.

I think, for Cincinnati, if they can get potentially 2 1sts, they have to ponder it. 5 picks in the first 3 rounds this year could go a long way towards addressing defensive needs and finding some more offensive playmakers.

Last edited by toonsterwu : 04-22-2008 at 12:00 PM.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's a really good deal for the Bengals imo. The only thing I could see them not taking it is not wanting to take on Johnson's salary impact.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It might be a lot but because of the cap hit the Bengals would take you almost have to entice them enough to consider it. i know its shady and probably against the rules but it wouldnt surprise me to see something worked out whereas the redskins and bengals complete a trade in june that would send a conditional pick and a player drafted by the skin in rd 1 to the bengals for ocho. and what im tryin to say is that player drafted by the skins may not have been the top of their board...if you get my drift...

that cuts the cap hit in half for the bengals.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That seems like a good deal for him.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They should make this same offer for Roy Williams..
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
They should make this same offer for Roy Williams..
IF we move him... definitely go with that. And then hope the Skins run rampant through the NFC on the way to a 1st next year.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This isn't a good deal, its a great deal, and I'd be sick if Dallas offered anything remotely close...The Skins were the big players in this to begin with, the fact that Cincy shut this down, and said their stance isn't changing lets it known they arent interested in moving him which is surprising...They could still get another WR in the 1st, and you really cant beat two first.

This sounds like a Redskins type deal, I could also see them increasing it within the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why do WRs have such a ****** hard on to come to the NFC East and make our lives more difficult.

Chad to Washington potentially, maybe Roy to Dallas or Philly.

Thank god for a pass rush. CB @ the 31 pick ftw.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
why do WRs have such a ****** hard on to come to the NFC East and make our lives more difficult.

Roy to Philly. WE CAN DO IT!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
This isn't a good deal, its a great deal, and I'd be sick if Dallas offered anything remotely close...The Skins were the big players in this to begin with, the fact that Cincy shut this down, and said their stance isn't changing lets it known they arent interested in moving him which is surprising...They could still get another WR in the 1st, and you really cant beat two first.

This sounds like a Redskins type deal, I could also see them increasing it within the week.
Come on Millen... swoop in on this! Get use 2 1sts!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Does seem like every Wr has been rumored to go to the NFC east...But oh how I would enjoy seeing Chad vs T New, but considering Moss was the guy who kills us every year, hopefully whoever we draft can get up to speed quickly...Redskins would be pretty explosive on offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
my future me
Veteran

my future me hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

I think that cap hit is too much to overcome
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Does seem like every Wr has been rumored to go to the NFC east...But oh how I would enjoy seeing Chad vs T New, but considering Moss was the guy who kills us every year, hopefully whoever we draft can get up to speed quickly...Redskins would be pretty explosive on offense.
ive always said, and im a big believer of this: the key to stopping a good WR is not stopping the WR, its stopping the qb throwing him the ball.

Its easier said than done with elite qbs like Romo or McNabb, but the Redskins, the book is out on their qb. So if i were to devise a scheme to stopping them, id simply double up on Chad, put my fastest CB on Moss in man, and send an array of blitz packages to confuse the qb.

He has a slow release, and he's inexperienced, force him to make that 3rd read with pressure in his face. Id be much more worried about Roy to Dallas or Philly bc i feel those 2 teams have elite quarterbacks who can beat gameplans. Great qbs, you can't really gameplan against them, theyre too good for that. You just have to do what you do best, and try to execute it as best you can. Thats what would have to be done against Romo or McNabb. Youre not gonna scheme those 2 to defeat.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone wants to go to the NFC East because the Giants secondary sucks, bro. :D

Also, McNabb and elite QB in the same sentence? FAIL.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Everyone wants to go to the NFC East because the Giants secondary sucks, bro. :D

Also, McNabb and elite QB in the same sentence? FAIL.
when he's healthy he's pretty damn good, ill give him that. When he had TO or Stallworth, or anything remotely acceptable at WR he looked like a stud.

Yes, our secondary is iffy right now. Thats why im hoping we bulk it up more this offseason. A CB and a safety would be nice.

I personally feel we're a CB and a safety away from having an elite defense.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Come on Millen... swoop in on this! Get use 2 1sts!
Chad is a better fit than Roy for Zorn's offense, IMO. Now, Roy is so talented, it doesn't make a difference, but in terms of fit, Chad is better, and I'm not sure the Redskins fork out 2 1sts for Roy. Just a hunch there
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they should do this. if not they are crazy.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Chad is a better fit than Roy for Zorn's offense, IMO. Now, Roy is so talented, it doesn't make a difference, but in terms of fit, Chad is better, and I'm not sure the Redskins fork out 2 1sts for Roy. Just a hunch there
id take Roy over Chad. Younger, can be just as talented (Roy would have incredible numbers with Palmer at qb instead of Harrington/Kitna), and no drama.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Why don't the Lions and Bengals trade Roy for Chad straight up?

I just thought of that now, that would be an interesting proposal.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
id take Roy over Chad. Younger, can be just as talented (Roy would have incredible numbers with Palmer at qb instead of Harrington/Kitna), and no drama.
Williams does have a history of injuries though.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:45 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why aren't the Titans big players in either Roy Williams or Chad Johnson? They both address the biggest need that we have and would give Vince a go to option at every time. Come on GM, we need to make some serious moves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Williams does have a history of injuries though.
Thats true. Didn't think of that. Player for player though, who would you choose?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Roy Williams, absolutely.

Although I'd take Anquan Boldin over both. I love Q, one of my fave players in the league.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Thats tough, Boldin or Williams? Both are great taking punishment in the middle, but Williams can stretch you out more.

Id lean towards Williams honestly. He's more complete than Boldin is. Although I love Boldin.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thats true. Didn't think of that. Player for player though, who would you choose?
They both have a bit of an ego problem...

It's tough. I would probably lean Roy because of the age factor.

Let's look at the #'s

Chad Johnson

YPC : 15.0

TD : 8

100+ yard games : 5

First Downs : 74

Let's compare that to Roy's last full season...

YPC : 16.0

TD : 7

100+ yard games : 6

First Downs : 66

Now at first glance, we see that the numbers are pretty even, and both teams threw the ball a lot (596 times for Detroit, 575 times for Cincinatti)

In the end, I take Roy because of his age... they are similarly productive receivers when healthy.