Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.
Default Its done

Its official. Jake Long is our pick. Signed a 5 yr contract today. I think the majority of us wanted a trade down,which obviously was not a realistic option. At the end of the day, I would probably have taken Gholston, but Long is a close 2nd in that race for me. Now they have 4/5 of their line set and can work to acquire depth and a potential starter at LG. Time to start thinking about pick #32 and more importantly, trading Jason Taylor. They need picks. I would seriously lower their draft grade an entire grade if they don't trade him. It is that important they acquire more picks.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Jake Long is a Miami Dolphin!!!

Cant even explain how happy I am that the big boy from Ann Arbor is going to be in a Miami Dolphin uniform. I just want to take the time out to tell a few board members a couple of things. I TOLD YOU SO HAHAHHAHAHAHHA and I TOLD YOU SO HAHAHHAHAHA. Now lets enjoy this together WOOOO-HOOOOOO!

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 04-22-2008 at 01:40 PM.
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
Cant even explain how happy I am that the big boy from Ann Arbor is going to be in a Miami Dolphin uniform. I just want to take the time out to tell a few board members a couple of things. I TOLD YOU SO HAHAHHAHAHAHHA and I TOLD YOU SO HAHAHHAHAHA. Now lets enjoy this together WOOOO-HOOOOOO!
Thought you left Blue. Haven't seen you here in a while. We must have posted at the same time. Congrats on being the first on this board to say it. I am glad too. I think it is a good thing. Lets hope the rest of the draft goes as well and that they can Taylor out of there for some picks...
Old 04-22-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

I have been really busy lately and there really wasnt much left for me to post. Everyone knew why I thought Jake Long was the pick so all that was left was to sit back and wait for his named to be called. I have been fighting the good fight for Jake Long since February. Now it's a reality. I think it's time to quit my day job and get into some real scouting HHAHAHAHA. Yah right!

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 04-22-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:03 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

It's really time to focus on that 2nd pick now. I am really pulling for Quentin Groves with the top pick in the 2nd. Actually what I am hoping for is a trade of that 1st round graded 2nd round pick for more picks. We have set ourselves up now to draft BPA for the rest of the draft since we really dont have to worry so much about the line. Now dont get me wrong I still think the regime will draft atleast two more offensive lineman. Probably somewhere around the 5th round. We still need to draft another guard and possibly another project Tackle to groom behind Carey just in case he gets any ideas of leaving via free agency.

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 04-22-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Blue,
If Groves was there at #32, it would be a miracle. I just don't see it. That would be the ideal scenario. They could be thinking QB there, (though I predict there will be none there worth taking) but my guess is a best player available pick with emphasis on defensive front 7. Pat Sims from Auburn may be a guy there. Maybe a Dan Connor or Curtis Lofton at ILB. I would really love if Philip Merling was to fall all the way down there, though I really see no chance of that happening. I think he can be a prototype Richard Seymour style 3-4 DE.

I will also throw WR out there again. We really need help there and I don't see too many going in round 1.......

Either way, they need some more picks from a Taylor deal to really make an impact with this draft.. Lets hope that happens....
Old 04-22-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Blue,
If Groves was there at #32, it would be a miracle. I just don't see it. That would be the ideal scenario. They could be thinking QB there, (though I predict there will be none there worth taking) but my guess is a best player available pick with emphasis on defensive front 7. Pat Sims from Auburn may be a guy there. Maybe a Dan Connor or Curtis Lofton at ILB. I would really love if Philip Merling was to fall all the way down there, though I really see no chance of that happening. I think he can be a prototype Richard Seymour style 3-4 DE.

I will also throw WR out there again. We really need help there and I don't see too many going in round 1.......

Either way, they need some more picks from a Taylor deal to really make an impact with this draft.. Lets hope that happens....

We certainly need some major help in the middle. I like Torbor but I dont think he is an every down linebacker. Dan Connor seems like the hard nosed guy that Parcells likes but does he fit in the middle of the 3-4????

I know we are all juming on Groves but lets not forget guys like Lawrence Jackson or Cliff Avril who will probably have a chance at being there with the late 2nd round pick. I also really like Phillip Wheeler who always seemed to play like a mad man against the U.

Last edited by BigBlueCrew56 : 04-22-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We certainly need some major help in the middle. I like Torbor but I dont think he is an every down linebacker. Dan Connor seems like the hard nosed guy that Parcells likes but does he fit in the middle of the 3-4????
I think Parcells would want nothing more than to take two guys like Jake Long and Dan Connor with the Phins first two picks. Those seem like a couple of great players to rebuild a franchise with on both sides of the ball. I think Connor would be a great get for you guys.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

I've long thought Connor could be an early target as well. We'll see.

I think we'll be seeing another OL before round 4.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post

Someone like Duane Brown would be perfect in the 4th round if he is there because he has experience playing both L and R Tackle. We need someone who is flexible along the line.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Someone like Duane Brown would be perfect in the 4th round if he is there because he has experience playing both L and R Tackle. We need someone who is flexible along the line.
Blue,

I don't think Brown makes it out of round 2. I am thinking they may go G in early round 4. Maybe John Greco or Mike McGlynn. Both fit the big, tough OL they like and I think both (especially McGlynn) could be backup RT's while starting at LG. Also, do not rule out Chilo Rachal if he makes it to low round 2. That would set up our starting OL for a long time. This draft may wind up having an offensive feel to it because of the depth at the TE and WR positions in rounds 2 to 4 as well...
Old 04-22-2008, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:

Agreed that Connor may fit the profile. I agree. One more OL picked by the fourth rd at the latest.....
Old 04-22-2008, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

agreed, I want a big time guard,

Lets build these damn oline and dline till people are afraid to play us. I want to dominate the line of scrimage. If Ronnie brown cant run and stay healthy behind this line now we will know it is him that is the issue not the line.

This is the first time since webb and sims that I have felt positive about the miami oline

I am very happy for this pick.

Then again I am the guy that last year got into arguements saying I wanted levi brown for months on end, when folks told me he would be a reach t number 9 hehe. My believe is simple.

Every super bowl miami has gone to contained a HoF olineman. I think we need that caliber oline to get our butts back there
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

who do you guys have now

Long
Smiley
Stalete(sp)
some guy
Some guy who was picked three years ago.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Vernon Carey is going to be a probowl RT he isnt just some guy that signed three years ago.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great pick IMO, i'm always one that belives in building a team threw it offensive and defensive line.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
who do you guys have now

Long
Smiley
Stalete(sp)
some guy
Some guy who was picked three years ago.
How about this:

LT: Jake Long (22) - Number 1 Overall pick. Pro Bowl potential.
LG: ???
C: Samson Satele (23)- 2007 2nd RD. Was arguably the best rookie OL in football last season after Joe Thomas.
RG: Justin Smiley (26)- Former 2nd RD with the 49ers. Was on his way to becoming one of the leagues better OGs before his injury last season.
RT: Vernon Carey (26)- 2004 1st RD. Was one of the league best RT before moving to LT last year where he showed promise. Will likely see a Pro Bowl at some point as a RT.

Plus we have one of the best OL gurus in the league with HC Tony Sparano.

Tons of young talent on our line and with some more added depth and growth, we should be among the leagues best OL within a couple of years. Not a single guy picked after RD 2. Lots of talent and money invest at this spot now.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
How about this:

LT: Jake Long (22) - Number 1 Overall pick. Pro Bowl potential.
LG: ???
C: Samson Satele (23)- 2007 2nd RD. Was arguably the best rookie OL in football last season after Joe Thomas.
RG: Justin Smiley (26)- Former 2nd RD with the 49ers. Was on his way to becoming one of the leagues better OGs before his injury last season.
RT: Vernon Carey (26)- 2004 1st RD. Was one of the league best RT before moving to LT last year where he showed promise. Will likely see a Pro Bowl at some point as a RT.

Plus we have one of the best OL gurus in the league with HC Tony Sparano.

Tons of young talent on our line and with some more added depth and growth, we should be among the leagues best OL within a couple of years. Not a single guy picked after RD 2. Lots of talent and money invest at this spot now.
Joe,

While I agree with you on Satele and Long, I would not give Smiley & Carey that kind of credit yet. However, I think getting Sparano there along with Carey being on a contract yr is really going to make them better. This unit should be vastly improved.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Joe,

While I agree with you on Satele and Long, I would not give Smiley & Carey that kind of credit yet. However, I think getting Sparano there along with Carey being on a contract yr is really going to make them better. This unit should be vastly improved.
Ask any 49er fan and they will tell you Smiley was a very good OG before he got hurt. They rave about the way he pulls from the RG spot. I haven't watched him more then just casually so I'm basing my statements on what I've heard from tons of 49er fans.

Carey was lights out as a run blocker at RT before the switch to LT. He was playing extremely well. And this is coming from a big critic of his as I don't think he has full lived up to what I expected from him coming out of Miami. But he was absolutely on his way to being a top notch RT before his move and has the potential to go to a Pro Bowl there and even more so if he ever moves inside. I think he has elite ability at OG if he ever makes the switch.

BTW...Love the Jason Allen trade. Lowers the chance of Long or Gholston falling to the Jets or Pats as well as lifting the asking price on DEs. I now Jared Allen is 26 but he also has never won defensive MVP, has not been anywhere as good as Jason Taylor, and Allen has tons of off the field baggage as he is close to being suspended for a year. He that can land a mid 1st and 2 3rds, I see no reason why we shouldn't be shopping Jason for at least a 1st rounder in the 22-30 range. Maybe the Jags, Titans, 49ers and Packers could all have interest and use a pass rusher. If the guy they want comes off the board during the draft maybe we entice one of them to pull the trigger?

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 04-23-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great pick by the Dolphins, giving them a franchise left tackle imo. Congrats, Dolphins fans.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Ask any 49er fan and they will tell you Smiley was a very good OG before he got hurt. They rave about the way he pulls from the RG spot. I haven't watched him more then just casually so I'm basing my statements on what I've heard from tons of 49er fans.

Carey was lights out as a run blocker at RT before the switch to LT. He was playing extremely well. And this is coming from a big critic of his as I don't think he has full lived up to what I expected from him coming out of Miami. But he was absolutely on his way to being a top notch RT before his move and has the potential to go to a Pro Bowl there and even more so if he ever moves inside. I think he has elite ability at OG if he ever makes the switch.

BTW...Love the Jason Allen trade. Lowers the chance of Long or Gholston falling to the Jets or Pats as well as lifting the asking price on DEs. I now Jared Allen is 26 but he also has never won defensive MVP, has not been anywhere as good as Jason Taylor, and Allen has tons of off the field baggage as he is close to being suspended for a year. He that can land a mid 1st and 2 3rds, I see no reason why we shouldn't be shopping Jason for at least a 1st rounder in the 22-30 range. Maybe the Jags, Titans, 49ers and Packers could all have interest and use a pass rusher. If the guy they want comes off the board during the draft maybe we entice one of them to pull the trigger?
Joe,

I agree that the line will be better and I hope you are right about their potential because I still think there is work to be done.

As for the JT trade, I would be STUNNED if they were to land a #1 for him. He is much older than Allen and has a contract that would probably have to reworked. I can't see them doing any better than a #2 and some other considerations (either switching spots in rounds, or some later picks). I hope I am wrong, but I really don't see any way they land a #1 for a 34 yr old unless they throw other stuff in the deal........ Don't get me wrong, I have campaigned that they must trade him, I just think a #1 is unrealistic for a player his age........
Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Joe,

I agree that the line will be better and I hope you are right about their potential because I still think there is work to be done.

As for the JT trade, I would be STUNNED if they were to land a #1 for him. He is much older than Allen and has a contract that would probably have to reworked. I can't see them doing any better than a #2 and some other considerations (either switching spots in rounds, or some later picks). I hope I am wrong, but I really don't see any way they land a #1 for a 34 yr old unless they throw other stuff in the deal........ Don't get me wrong, I have campaigned that they must trade him, I just think a #1 is unrealistic for a player his age........

Reports are that they are asking for something in the mid 1st round. However, They are saying a more likely destination is between picks 26 and 37. I could certainly live with that.

As for the contract. JTs contract is in no way worse then the one Jared Allen got that makes him the high paid Defensive player in the NFL.

Really the only thing Allen has on JT is age. That's all. JT is the better player, has the better career, the better contract, is a better leader, doesn't come with off the field issues. Only hitch is that Allen is 26 and JT is 33. While that's a pretty big deal, to a team like the Jags who are interested and are a top contender heading into next season, it might be worth it for them to give up their low 1st for JT and JT will be better over the next 2-3 seasons then anyone they can get with that pick. There's so much turnover in the NFL that contenders will make moves like that to get a guy they feel could put them over the top. I certainly could see Jacksonville making that deal without a doubt.

I think it'll come down to draft day and who is on the board at the picks that are likely being talked about in a JT trade.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Taylor is not better than Jared Allen right now.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Jason Taylor is absolutely better then Jared Allen. Jared Allen is just a hot name right now because he is young and coming off a big year. Jared Allen the year before last had only 7.5 sacks and was pretty ordinary. His career high before then was 11. Solid for sure but nothing to right home about. This stuff happens all the time. Guy has a great year in a contract year, gets a big contract and then returns to form. He's a good DE, he is not special and he is no where near one of the top defensive players in the NFL.

Jason Taylor is what was considered a kinda tough year for him last year still put up 11 sacks and year in, year out gets you 12-13 sacks and has averaged 11.7 over his career. You know what you are getting with JT.

Jared Allen is just a hot name because he's young, he has much coveted pass rush skills, and he was very much avialable and open. JT on the other hand is getting older, and Tuna keeps saying he will be dealt. Allen has just been blown up by the media coming off his best year in a contract season.

Don't get confused Allen having a better season last year with him being a better player overall. Jared Allen has proven to be inconsistent (his stats go way up and down every other year), his motor runs hot a cold at times, and he hasn't been the best leader/clubhouse guy. He has issues despite his upside.

Jason Taylor is consistent, you know what you are getting, he a leader and he gives his effort on every play.

I think the bottom line is this:

Jared Allen is one of the leagues better sack artists.
Jason Taylor is one of the leagues better game changers/playmaker.

One season does not change that.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:05 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His motor runs hot and cold? You sure you're talking about Jared Allen? Last season Allen outplayed Taylor and I don't expect that to change. Taylor is declining and Allen is getting better. Allen led the league in sacks and he is also very good against the run. As a part time guy he had 9 sacks, then had 11 and got more attention and his production dropped. Not really up and down. Jason Taylor has had an amazing career but right now Allen is better and you can't expect to get close to the same thing that the Chiefs got for Allen for Taylor.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote