Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Vikings acquire Jared Allen

Per NFL.com's Breaking News ticker...

Yes! Now the question is, what did we give up?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
blackbelt3d
Rookie

blackbelt3d hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Per NFL.com's Breaking News ticker...

Yes! Now the question is, what did we give up?
Hopefully not the farm.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it is just a 1st and 3rd.

Quote:
I heard Childress was being considered to coach the US Olympic bobsled team. They figure he can get a team to go downhill faster than anyone.
blackbelt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am erect now. As long as the deal is done. He will improve our team immensly.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im hoping for the Rumors earlier 1st and 3rd and next year 2nd but probably not.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I Am Hearing A 1st And A 3rd. I Am So Happy!

Last edited by Dr. Gonzo : 04-22-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 PM    (permalink
blackbelt3d
Rookie

Well, on another board, another guy who claims to be connected posted that we (as Vikings fans) would be happy with the terms of the deal.

I don't know if he's legit, or how "happy" is defined, but take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
I heard Childress was being considered to coach the US Olympic bobsled team. They figure he can get a team to go downhill faster than anyone.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 PM    (permalink
blackbelt3d
Rookie

A first and two thirds is what I just heard.

I hope one of them is in 2009.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2008, 10:56 PM    (permalink
giver17
Rookie

giver17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.giver17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

YES! this is amazing! although we did give up a lot; 1st and both our 3rds, but this is going to make us a contender. I hope he does F*** up and get a suspention.

giver17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 PM    (permalink
giver17
Rookie

giver17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.giver17 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

and they were both our thirds from this year... crap, that is a high price

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giver17 View Post
YES! this is amazing! although we did give up a lot; 1st and both our 3rds, but this is going to make us a contender. I hope he does F*** up and get a suspention.
I think u forgot the nt on Does Lol. If you didnt your sounding like a Packer fan Uh Oh! lol. Yeah Adam Schefter reporting 1st and Both our 3rds this year which Im happy and fine with.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:03 PM    (permalink
giver17
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dynasty View Post
I think u forgot the nt on Does Lol. If you didnt your sounding like a Packer fan Uh Oh! lol. Yeah Adam Schefter reporting 1st and Both our 3rds this year which Im happy and fine with.
haha, good call. I definately mean doesn't

Old 04-22-2008, 11:17 PM    (permalink
blackbelt3d
Rookie

Default Holy ridiculously huge contract, Batman!

From Pro Football Talk:

Quote:
In addition to the three 2008 draft picks that the Minnesota Vikings gave up in order to acquire the rights to defensive end Jared Allen, the Vikes have made defensive end Jared Allen the highest-paid defensive player in the NFL.
Per Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com, Allen will get a six-year, $74 million deal, with $31 million in guaranteed money.
Actually, the guarantee is $31,000,069. That’s right . . . “Wine ‘em, dine ‘em, 69 ‘em.”
The deal surpasses the deal paid a year ago by the Colts to defensive end Dwight Freeney, with $30 million guaranteed on a six-year, $72 million contract.
The risk that the Vikings are taking is huge, given Allen’s history with the whole glug-glug, vroom-vroom thing. But it’s apparent that the Vikings have done plenty of homework, and are comfortable that Allen’s drinking days are behind him.

Quote:
Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Unhappy

Yeah, Im gonna say it, I dont care,

Its the Walker trade all over again.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to imagine a large portion of the guaranteed money will be in roster bonuses and the like, stuff that won't count against the salary cap if he craps out/boozes and gets cut.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Vikings4ever
Veteran

Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikings4ever is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Yeah, Im gonna say it, I dont care,

Its the Walker trade all over again.
Huge difference.

In the Walker trade, the Vikes mortgaged the future for him (something like 3 first rounders and 3 2nd rounders).

Here, the Vikes mortgage less than 1 draft and a large contract.
Vikings4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 AM    (permalink
aqua

Apparently we get to swap 6th round picks with KC also.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:27 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua View Post
Apparently we get to swap 6th round picks with KC also.
lol...WOOHOO

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 AM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sweet jesus, that is a gigantic contract.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:29 AM    (permalink
amesbear
Rookie

amesbear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We gave up waaayyy more in the Walker deal. The contract for Allen really is pretty outlandish considering his background. Anyway, here are the details of the Walker trade.

Link
Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 AM    (permalink
SMoore
Rookie

SMoore hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SMoore hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

this is definitely a great move, really solidifies the defense...i think we have to concentrate on getting a right tackle in the second round now and then getting some depth later
SMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People said we way overpaid for Hutchinson a few years ago and called it a ridiculous contract. A few years later freaking Derrick Dockery got the exact same contract. The NFL is a mini economy and there is inflation. Just wait until next year when Suggs and Peppers get new deals. It may seem like a lot now but in a few years it will not seem as bad, plus we are just seeing the preliminary numbers now, who knows how much of that is fluff and how much is money likely to be earned.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

FuzzyGopher is actually right. Contracts everywhere are getting ridiculous. Allen's getting no more than Jake Long, and I'm fairly sure who'd win that contest.

The big issue is the drink, and the Vikings would be nuts not to build that into the contract. It's not difficult, it is simply necessary to ensure that they are clearly marked as roster bonuses rather than signing bonuses etc.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
AtariBigby
Veteran

AtariBigby AtariBigby AtariBigby

Congrats Viking fans. Your biggest weakness (aside from QB) has just turned into a strength! No draft gambles, guessing how a DE will translate from college to the NFL. You GOT your All-Pro right there, and he's young, has a high motor, etc. The 17th pick is often a gamble with DE's like Jarvis Moss, David Pollack, Erasmus James, etc... never know how they'll pan out, but you know what Jared Allen brings to the NFL field, and unfortunately so do I........

For my team's sake, at least you didn't get Tony Gonzalez from them too!

I predict Jared Allen and Aaron Kampman battle for the NFC sack title with Patrick Kerney and DeMarcus Ware...... but I just hope Kampman leads after week one :D

HERE's A GREAT PHOTO FOR YOU GUYS:
AtariBigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
RollingMoss
Rookie

RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Just wanted to add to the school of thought that the contract won't be as big as it seems. They manipulate all that junk, clauses here and there, bonuses spread out for this and that. If we wanted to cut him in two years (hopefully we won't and he continues his path to dominance, I'm just saying though), I'm sure there'd be a clause in there that saves us from a big cap hit - like with Shaun Alexander. He just signed a rediculous contract a couple years ago, right? And now he's cut.
RollingMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It will be worth it, I'm feeling a 20+ sack season for Jared Allen.

Some might think I'm nuts but it really isn't that far fetched of a thought. He had 15.5 sacks on the Chiefs next to a much worse pair of DTs. On the Vikings he will be next to 2 pro bowl DTs and he will be seeing a fair amount of 1 on 1's with the OTs. The next thing that would point to 20+ sacks is the absurd amount of times the Vikings get passed on due to the run defense opposing offense averaged 40 att per game against the Vikings D(compared to 29 per game for the Chiefs D).

So obviously barring Injury to him or one of the Williams wrecking crew, and if the run defense remains as dominant as it has been in the past two years I could see Jared possibly getting 20+ Sacks
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote