Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Drafting BPA worked out for Minnesota last year with AD, but drafting for Need helped out Cleveland very well with Thomas as well. It's a crap shoot, just do what you feel is best for YOUR team and hopefully everything will turn out alright. That's all you can really do, and pray.
Joe Thomas wasn't just a need. He was probably one of the BPA. When you look at any prospect you're always going to look at both need and their skill. There aren't many instances where someone drafts someone purely one way or the other.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Jordan does not sit behind Clyde Drexler. Not on any team. Not in any way.

But I see what you mean. There is a point in drafting the player that best improves your team. I agree, totally. However, I would say the time when this is important is when a team is a true superbowl competitor. If you are not an elite team, I would say "Draft Best Player."

For instance-a certain team none expects to be in the superbowl (maybe the vikings last year, off the top of my head) takes best player. Does anyone blame the Vikings for taking Peterson? They could have had Brady Quinn!!! I would have drafted Peterson in a second. In hindsight, I would have drafted Peterson over Quinn, even though personally I think Quinn is more of an upgrade over Tavaris Jackson than Peterson is over Taylor.

This may not be a completely fair arguement. However, teams that take a better player (in my estimation) cant go wrong. Exceptions to every rule, I understand. But I would say it better be a good exception.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also MJ wasn't looked at in the same light going into that draft as Lebron James was, or as a "cant miss prospect" that you had to have...He was highly touted, but its a big difference between highly touted, and everyone knowing he would be great...Bowie was the right pick at the time it just didn't turn out that way, it doesn't make it the wrong pick because it didn't turn out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:49 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Also MJ wasn't looked at in the same light going into that draft as Lebron James was, or as a "cant miss prospect" that you had to have...He was highly touted, but its a big difference between highly touted, and everyone knowing he would be great...Bowie was the right pick at the time it just didn't turn out that way, it doesn't make it the wrong pick because it didn't turn out right.
Okay, this I will admit...and this is a good point. No one could have seen what was coming, and I will concede this point...

I guess my point is, all things being equal, isn't it a good idea to draft best player???? Can anyone give an example of when Best Player Available backfired without using hindsight?

Once again, not trying to argue. I am just at a loss trying to find a time when BPA is a bad idea (unless you are looking for the one missing piece for a superbowl.)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This topic has been hashed and rehashed, and I think it is irrelevant in the first place. The term "B.P.A" is an arbitrary term. Who has the clout to make these determinations as to which players will be the 'best' for these teams? Is it the media, fans, NFL consensus?

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:33 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the way to look at it is that there is position-specific value and team-specific need to serve as the tie-breakers, or adjusters, between BPA candidates. Who are in all likelihood closely rated.

Last edited by Geo : 04-24-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:15 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was about to make an unnecessarily long-winded post on the subject, but then I got to the end of the thread and realized that the last two posts summarize my thoughts on the subject pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
This topic has been hashed and rehashed, and I think it is irrelevant in the first place. The term "B.P.A" is an arbitrary term. Who has the clout to make these determinations as to which players will be the 'best' for these teams? Is it the media, fans, NFL consensus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I think the way to look at it is that there is position-specific value and team-specific need to serve as the tie-breakers, or adjusters, between BPA candidates. Who are in all likelihood closely rated.
Pretty much all that needs to be said, imo.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:29 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As an NFL team you pretty much have to make a list and say who is the best player in the draft, second best, third best - etc.

Then you when you draft you skip over positions you're "set" on and don't want to load a bunch of money into if you already have a starter there. For example, lets say Matt Ryan is around @ number 9- cincinnati is not going to draft him even if they valued him as the number 1 player in the draft (calm down, its hypothetical example :) ) because we already have Carson Palmer - If we have room on the depth chart and need to add a quarterback, we'll do it in round 7.

Another example: Chargers have LT - lets say they have the 5th overall pick. There not going to draft D-mac. it doesn't matter how much talent you think he has. Dolphins have ronnie brown and they didn't take D-mac for a reason. You cannot afford to pay LT and D-mac on that roster (I'm pretty sure they're close to salary cap already). THey would rather have a running back out of the 3rd or 4th round to be LT's compliment - less risk, less pay, probably close production (considering this halfback will only be getting the ball 1/3rd of the time that LT gets it).

This league is only a two-back league for the teams who don't have a ton of money tied up in QB's in WR's. Addai will probably never have as good of a compliment as Fred Taylor's Maurice-jones Drew because the colts pay peyton / wayne / harrison (and even gonzalez) a lot of money already.

But basically you take the best player available that can win the starting job (or so you think) over your current starter until the 4-7th round, in which point if you're not looking for starters, you draft for depth (which would be BPA really).

Last edited by Bengalsrocket : 04-24-2008 at 04:36 AM.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote