Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-14-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bust the popcorn out folks, it's TIME! Here are my projections.

Day 1

1. DB Aaron Ross, Texas - First thing you might say is, "D-Unit, you've been hating on first round CB selections big time!" Well, this is not the "D-Unit Draft Wish List" is it... I think that Aaron Ross will be the Cowboys pick. There, I said it.

Reasons:
- I believe Reggie Nelson will be off the board.
- Ross fits the value here.
- Ross is another Thorpe Award winner to join previous winners in Roy Williams and Terance Newman (haha... just a cute reason).
- Most important reason: Ross has the ability to play Safety and this option of moving him to FS actually has some substance to it. I think should we draft him, that he'll start off competing at FS to get playing time. If he embraces that role, it could be his. If not, he could easily take over at CB in case of injury or down the line. This is like a kill 2 birds with 1 stone pick as he could either provide CB depth or start at FS.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.c...m ember_id=77

Other Hopefuls: Reggie Nelson, Levi Brown, Jarvis Moss

2. - WR Craig "Buster" Davis, LSU - Davis has a good combination of size, speed and athleticism for a WR. He runs outstanding routes and has very good hands. At times this season he outperformed his more highly touted teammate, Dwayne Bowe. Like most LSU wideouts, he is an above-average blocker and is willing to do the dirty work to help his teammates. Davis can beat press coverage with his speed, quickness, and a variety of fakes and jukes. He's a legitimate deep threat and works the sidelines very well. Davis also started returning punts as a senior and took his very first one 77 yards for a TD.

Davis should fit in well in Dallas as he doesn't seem to be the type to crave attention. He allowed Bowe and Doucet to grab all the headlines at LSU, as he simply put on his hard hat and went to work. Meshing in and learning from TO and Glenn should prepare him for the #1 role when it becomes his time to shine. I love that he blocks and excels on special teams... goes to show what an all around game he has.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...&Q_SEASON=2006

Other Hopefuls: DeMarcus Tyler, Ben Grubbs, Justin Blalock, Victor Abiamiri, Anthony Spencer

3. OT Doug Free, Northern Illinois - The Future at LT. Two-time All-Mid-Am pick (2004-05). Heads into senior campaign with an active string of 36 consecutive starts (34 at LT and two at TE) and 156 knockdown blocks in 2,287 career snaps (2003-05). Serious 2007 National Football League draft material. All-America candidate with unique combination of athleticism, quick feet, and work ethic. Nicknamed by Northern Illinois teammates as "Doug Freak" for athleticism (:05.0 speed, 29-inch vertical jump, and 565-pound squat lift. Coach Joe Novak says Free could play TE in the NFL. Anchored rock-solid Northern Illinois O-line that blocked for nation's No. 16 major-college rushing attack (206.7 yards-per-game average) and total offense (441.1 ypg.) last season and paved the way for 1,000-yard rushers such as All-America tailbacks Michael "The Burner" Turner and Garrett Wolfe.

Flozell being in the last year of his contract makes this pick an important one. We may even have to reach in Round 2 for him and find a WR in Round 3. Free is one of the more underrated prospects in this draft, but he has all the tools to make a successful NFL career.

http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-...ee_doug00.html

Other Hopefuls: James Marten, Dan Bazuin, Steve Smith, Fred Bennett, Desmond Bishop

Day 2

4. S Will Gulley, Houston - At 6-3, 219, he has awesome size for a safety. He hits hard, wraps up the ball carrier. Emotional. Big play type. Has a knack for the forced fumble. Good hands (former receiver) who high points the interception. Has been very productive when healthy. Versatile enough to play FS or SS.

Will Gulley is a NASTY safety for the Houston Cougars who is better than half the safeties who were invited to Indianapolis. This kid has all-Pro potential in terms of his measurables, production, personal makeup and maturity. Will had 175 tackles, 6 FFs, 8 ints, 13 PBUs and 8 TFLs in two years of starting for the University of Houston before a serious knee injury forced him to miss the tail end of the '04 campaign, and all of the '05 season. As a result, he fell off a lot of radar screens. He returned with a vengeance in '06, putting up 105 tackles, 5 ints., 7 PBUs, 2 FRs and 2 FFs (first on the team in tackles, ints and FRs.)

This kid is legit and I'm waiting for his Pro Day to see what his timed speed is. If it is in the 4.5 range, he might not make it this far. The fact that he can play either safety position adds value as he can back up Roy if the fight for that FS spot doesn't work out. Or he can be the back up at FS and Watkins can back up Roy.

http://uhcougars.cstv.com/sports/m-f...ey_will00.html

5. OLB - Melila Purcell, Hawaii- Good size. Great motor. A player who was very, very good in 2004 before injuries started to take their toll. Came back with a very, very solid senior season. 15.5 TFL, 10.5 Sacks, 16 QBH, 4 FF... Naturally strong and quick. Can dominate when healthy. Holds the point of attack well. Great size potential. Natural pass rusher who just keeps coming. Solid against the run. Excellent leaper who gets in passing lanes and wreaks havoc batting balls down. Very athletic for a man of his size. Plays hurt. Gives you everything he has. Injuries really slowed his progress in '05 and early in '06, and he did not look like half the player he was in the second half over the first few games of '06. Played with a huge thigh wrap at times. He will be a guy who the medical report will be more important for than anything else he does the rest of the season or in the post-season. Sky is the limit if he checks out and regains all of his former aggressivness. He doesn't get the rep that Alama-Francis has because he's being graded as an undersized DE... But put him at OLB in the 3-4 and he'll tear it up. My favorite player on the Hawaii Defense and a total maniac on the field. I played basketball against his team and he dunked on us 3 times... He's so athletic it's not funny. He will be a steal for someone if they use him correctly. Wade Phillips would have a field day with him!

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/Playe...id=3&aid=12080

6. OL Mike Jones, Iowa - Well coached, 4 year player with a ton of experience as he started as a Freshman. I really like his durability and versatility as he played RT, LT and both Guard positions. Was named a Freshman All-American and continued to improve each year. He plays with a consistent mean streak. Absolutely loves contact and usually wins. Well liked by coaches and teammates. Does everything well, but isn't special. Could improve on pass blocking. Has a tendency to play high.You know what you are getting with him and will be a safe pick to eventually come in and contribute. Iowa has good OL breeding grounds.

http://hawkeyesports.cstv.com/sports...es_mike00.html

6. NT Louis Leonard, Fresno St. - One of only a handful of true NT candidates in this draft. Almost as big as Gabe Watson, but with a better motor and upside. Very strong and can get even stonger. Can plug a gap with no problem at all against the best collegiate interior O-linemen. A true run stuffer. Has gotten better every year. Boom or bust type. To this point he has not done enough with his physical talents. Motor is pretty good when fresh, but he must be rotated to keep him fresh. Not as much of a factor in rushing the passer or collapsing the pocket as he should be. Needs a move. May not be the most coachable guy around. Needs the right coaches to push the right buttons and he could be a real find...otherwise he might not make it out of training camp.

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-...d_louis00.html

7. FB Deon Anderson, Connecticut - Deon is a solid person who loves the game of football and blocks with a passion, and can also catch and run. Versatility. Not a pure blocking FB, because he catches and runs too well to be stuck with that label, but he excels as a blocker. Comes up and absolutely pops people at the line of scrimmage. Secures the ball and pounds it well when handed to him. Catches very well for a fullback. A well-rounded athlete.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/M.../anderson.html
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Bust the popcorn out folks, it's TIME! Here are my projections.

Day 1

1. DB Aaron Ross, Texas - First thing you might say is, "D-Unit, you've been hating on first round CB selections big time!" Well, this is not the "D-Unit Draft Wish List" is it... I think that Aaron Ross will be the Cowboys pick. There, I said it.

Reasons:
- I believe Reggie Nelson will be off the board.
- Ross fits the value here.
- Ross is another Thorpe Award winner to join previous winners in Roy Williams and Terance Newman (haha... just a cute reason).
- Most important reason: Ross has the ability to play Safety and this option of moving him to FS actually has some substance to it. I think should we draft him, that he'll start off competing at FS to get playing time. If he embraces that role, it could be his. If not, he could easily take over at CB in case of injury or down the line. This is like a kill 2 birds with 1 stone pick as he could either provide CB depth or start at FS.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.c...m ember_id=77

Other Hopefuls: Reggie Nelson, Levi Brown, Jarvis Moss

2. - WR Craig "Buster" Davis, LSU - Davis has a good combination of size, speed and athleticism for a WR. He runs outstanding routes and has very good hands. At times this season he outperformed his more highly touted teammate, Dwayne Bowe. Like most LSU wideouts, he is an above-average blocker and is willing to do the dirty work to help his teammates. Davis can beat press coverage with his speed, quickness, and a variety of fakes and jukes. He's a legitimate deep threat and works the sidelines very well. Davis also started returning punts as a senior and took his very first one 77 yards for a TD.

Davis should fit in well in Dallas as he doesn't seem to be the type to crave attention. He allowed Bowe and Doucet to grab all the headlines at LSU, as he simply put on his hard hat and went to work. Meshing in and learning from TO and Glenn should prepare him for the #1 role when it becomes his time to shine. I love that he blocks and excels on special teams... goes to show what an all around game he has.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...&Q_SEASON=2006

Other Hopefuls: DeMarcus Tyler, Ben Grubbs, Justin Blalock, Victor Abiamiri, Anthony Spencer

3. OT Doug Free, Northern Illinois - The Future at LT. Two-time All-Mid-Am pick (2004-05). Heads into senior campaign with an active string of 36 consecutive starts (34 at LT and two at TE) and 156 knockdown blocks in 2,287 career snaps (2003-05). Serious 2007 National Football League draft material. All-America candidate with unique combination of athleticism, quick feet, and work ethic. Nicknamed by Northern Illinois teammates as "Doug Freak" for athleticism (:05.0 speed, 29-inch vertical jump, and 565-pound squat lift. Coach Joe Novak says Free could play TE in the NFL. Anchored rock-solid Northern Illinois O-line that blocked for nation's No. 16 major-college rushing attack (206.7 yards-per-game average) and total offense (441.1 ypg.) last season and paved the way for 1,000-yard rushers such as All-America tailbacks Michael "The Burner" Turner and Garrett Wolfe.

Flozell being in the last year of his contract makes this pick an important one. We may even have to reach in Round 2 for him and find a WR in Round 3. Free is one of the more underrated prospects in this draft, but he has all the tools to make a successful NFL career.

http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-...ee_doug00.html

Other Hopefuls: James Marten, Dan Bazuin, Steve Smith, Fred Bennett, Desmond Bishop

Day 2

4. S Will Gulley, Houston - At 6-3, 219, he has awesome size for a safety. He hits hard, wraps up the ball carrier. Emotional. Big play type. Has a knack for the forced fumble. Good hands (former receiver) who high points the interception. Has been very productive when healthy. Versatile enough to play FS or SS.

Will Gulley is a NASTY safety for the Houston Cougars who is better than half the safeties who were invited to Indianapolis. This kid has all-Pro potential in terms of his measurables, production, personal makeup and maturity. Will had 175 tackles, 6 FFs, 8 ints, 13 PBUs and 8 TFLs in two years of starting for the University of Houston before a serious knee injury forced him to miss the tail end of the '04 campaign, and all of the '05 season. As a result, he fell off a lot of radar screens. He returned with a vengeance in '06, putting up 105 tackles, 5 ints., 7 PBUs, 2 FRs and 2 FFs (first on the team in tackles, ints and FRs.)

This kid is legit and I'm waiting for his Pro Day to see what his timed speed is. If it is in the 4.5 range, he might not make it this far. The fact that he can play either safety position adds value as he can back up Roy if the fight for that FS spot doesn't work out. Or he can be the back up at FS and Watkins can back up Roy.

http://uhcougars.cstv.com/sports/m-f...ey_will00.html

5. OLB - Melila Purcell, Hawaii- Good size. Great motor. A player who was very, very good in 2004 before injuries started to take their toll. Came back with a very, very solid senior season. 15.5 TFL, 10.5 Sacks, 16 QBH, 4 FF... Naturally strong and quick. Can dominate when healthy. Holds the point of attack well. Great size potential. Natural pass rusher who just keeps coming. Solid against the run. Excellent leaper who gets in passing lanes and wreaks havoc batting balls down. Very athletic for a man of his size. Plays hurt. Gives you everything he has. Injuries really slowed his progress in '05 and early in '06, and he did not look like half the player he was in the second half over the first few games of '06. Played with a huge thigh wrap at times. He will be a guy who the medical report will be more important for than anything else he does the rest of the season or in the post-season. Sky is the limit if he checks out and regains all of his former aggressivness. He doesn't get the rep that Alama-Francis has because he's being graded as an undersized DE... But put him at OLB in the 3-4 and he'll tear it up. My favorite player on the Hawaii Defense and a total maniac on the field. I played basketball against his team and he dunked on us 3 times... He's so athletic it's not funny. He will be a steal for someone if they use him correctly. Wade Phillips would have a field day with him!

http://www.hawaiiathletics.com/Playe...id=3&aid=12080

6. OL Mike Jones, Iowa - Well coached, 4 year player with a ton of experience as he started as a Freshman. I really like his durability and versatility as he played RT, LT and both Guard positions. Was named a Freshman All-American and continued to improve each year. He plays with a consistent mean streak. Absolutely loves contact and usually wins. Well liked by coaches and teammates. Does everything well, but isn't special. Could improve on pass blocking. Has a tendency to play high.You know what you are getting with him and will be a safe pick to eventually come in and contribute. Iowa has good OL breeding grounds.

http://hawkeyesports.cstv.com/sports...es_mike00.html

6. NT Louis Leonard, Fresno St. - One of only a handful of true NT candidates in this draft. Almost as big as Gabe Watson, but with a better motor and upside. Very strong and can get even stonger. Can plug a gap with no problem at all against the best collegiate interior O-linemen. A true run stuffer. Has gotten better every year. Boom or bust type. To this point he has not done enough with his physical talents. Motor is pretty good when fresh, but he must be rotated to keep him fresh. Not as much of a factor in rushing the passer or collapsing the pocket as he should be. Needs a move. May not be the most coachable guy around. Needs the right coaches to push the right buttons and he could be a real find...otherwise he might not make it out of training camp.

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-...d_louis00.html

7. FB Deon Anderson, Connecticut - Deon is a solid person who loves the game of football and blocks with a passion, and can also catch and run. Versatility. Not a pure blocking FB, because he catches and runs too well to be stuck with that label, but he excels as a blocker. Comes up and absolutely pops people at the line of scrimmage. Secures the ball and pounds it well when handed to him. Catches very well for a fullback. A well-rounded athlete.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/M.../anderson.html

I could live with this draft, but why no DE's?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

mtmock needs more cowbell.

i think we go allsion in r.2 i don't really like pickin a cb that old but newman turned out pretty good...i would rather have meriweather but i have to remind myself just as others should every now and then that they dont draft off our wish lists they draft off theirs so good mock then! ;)

Dallas Cowboys 07-08 Superbowl CHAMPS!
mtmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

leroy,
No DE, I know... I would've liked to find one, but it just didn't work out when I did this. Another thing is, I think that we have enough youth at the position. I don't think we'll be addressing DE with a Day 1 pick and Day 2 just didn't pan out in my mock. I still would like to think that we could add a veteran through FA... maybe after cuts. I thought losing Coleman would have a small impact and this may be it. Unless we address it in FA, I think there is still a chance we could address it in the draft, just didn't work out for me. I think we could also find an UDFA if we do our homework since we're only looking to shore up depth anyways.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:52 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmock View Post
i think we go allsion in r.2 i don't really like pickin a cb that old but newman turned out pretty good...i would rather have meriweather but i have to remind myself just as others should every now and then that they dont draft off our wish lists they draft off theirs so good mock then! ;)
I think Davis is more talented, has more skills and has been better coached than Allison.

I know a lot of you like Merriweather, but I just don't buy it.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:07 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are the odds that Steve Smith will be there in the 2nd for us to pick? He's getting a lot of attention lately and could be moving up on a lot of people's boards.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Has everyone seen Scott's new mock? I'm shocked that he still has us taking Mason Crosby in round 2, especially considering we just re-signed Grammatica.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post
Has everyone seen Scott's new mock? I'm shocked that he still has us taking Mason Crosby in round 2, especially considering we just re-signed Grammatica.
I like it, Martin is alright, but since we were able to sure up our O-line via FA, we have more options. Most mocks had us taking an OL on the first day and we longer need one on the first day. It gives us the freedom to explore more options. I would rather see Crosby to us in the 3rd, but Its obvious Scott doesn't see him falling that far. Gramatica was a patch job for last year's blunder, hes not the long-term answer. And yes I know we signed him, but he signed for the league minimum so cutting him will do no harm. I like it simply because I'm not comfortable with Gramatica as THE kicker.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
leroy,
No DE, I know... I would've liked to find one, but it just didn't work out when I did this. Another thing is, I think that we have enough youth at the position. I don't think we'll be addressing DE with a Day 1 pick and Day 2 just didn't pan out in my mock. I still would like to think that we could add a veteran through FA... maybe after cuts. I thought losing Coleman would have a small impact and this may be it. Unless we address it in FA, I think there is still a chance we could address it in the draft, just didn't work out for me. I think we could also find an UDFA if we do our homework since we're only looking to shore up depth anyways.

I would be pleased with that draft. I am becoming a big fan of Free, and I really think we need to grab a WR on day 1.

My only question, D, is if Moss is still on the board, you would take Ross instead of Moss?
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

I really like Moss, but don't really see him being there at 22. The Steelers may grab him at 15.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:10 AM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get why some of you guy want another OLB. Sure we had issues rushing the quarterback and Ellis may never be the same, but it would be the third year in a row drafting for that position. I just don't think thats a smart way to go about drafting.
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_a_Romosexual View Post
I don't get why some of you guy want another OLB. Sure we had issues rushing the quarterback and Ellis may never be the same, but it would be the third year in a row drafting for that position. I just don't think thats a smart way to go about drafting.
Why not? Any good 3-4 defense will have a lot of good LB's. Look at what happened to us last year when Ellis went down.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You just answered your own question about why I would consider another OLB/DE. Having a QB on offense and having someone to get pressure on the QB on defense are the two most important positions in the NFL, IMO. My thought is if you have a chance to draft a good pass rusher you take it. Unless, of course you are just loaded at that position, which is pretty appearant we are not given the lack of pressure we put on the QB.

I really view Carp as more of a weakside ILB than an OLB. It sounds like Ellis is progressing so it may not be as much of a need as previously though.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac076 View Post
I like it, Martin is alright, but since we were able to sure up our O-line via FA, we have more options. Most mocks had us taking an OL on the first day and we longer need one on the first day. It gives us the freedom to explore more options. I would rather see Crosby to us in the 3rd, but Its obvious Scott doesn't see him falling that far. Gramatica was a patch job for last year's blunder, hes not the long-term answer. And yes I know we signed him, but he signed for the league minimum so cutting him will do no harm. I like it simply because I'm not comfortable with Gramatica as THE kicker.
Jerry may be lying through his teeth, but I tend to believe him when he says they will never again spend big money on a kicker.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I definately think we need to add some pressure on Defense and an attacking LB to complement Ware is important, imo.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree we do need one but why one in the first?
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Because it is very rare to find "pressure guys" in the later rounds. There's a reason why those guys go early.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Not a bad Draft D-Unit, but I would like to address our future NT earlier.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
Not a bad Draft D-Unit, but I would like to address our future NT earlier.
If Tyler isn't there in the 2nd round, who are the prospects you would spend a pick on and where?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn, D-Unit, your first day is awesome. Can you be my dad? :D

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Why not? Any good 3-4 defense will have a lot of good LB's. Look at what happened to us last year when Ellis went down.
Why not? Because right now at the two OLB positions we have 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick...and 3 of those guys are still young and improving. If you take another OLB you hinder one or more of those guys' development, or you have to move him inside as a backup. One guy I do like, however, is Paul Posluzny, who can play either inside or out.

Last edited by JJJ888 : 03-15-2007 at 03:43 PM.
JJJ888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Damn, D-Unit, your first day is awesome. Can you be my dad? :D
Only if you can eat Poi like this guy:

Old 03-15-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
Only if you can eat Poi like this guy:

Of course I can. And I'm from Sardinia, that is like the italian version of Hawaii!

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Moss is there at 22 we should, without a doubt, draft him.

You can NEVER have too many pass rushers. I'd take a top flight pass rusher over a 'shut down' corner any day of the week.

I'd trade Champ Bailey to get Shawn Merriman.

Other than QB, there is no single position that affects a game better than a pass rushing DE / OLB.

Every great defense puts pressure on the QB. In, fact, off the top of my head I can't think of a super bowl winning team that didn't put pressure on the QB.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
If Moss is there at 22 we should, without a doubt, draft him.

You can NEVER have too many pass rushers. I'd take a top flight pass rusher over a 'shut down' corner any day of the week.

I'd trade Champ Bailey to get Shawn Merriman.

Other than QB, there is no single position that affects a game better than a pass rushing DE / OLB.

Every great defense puts pressure on the QB. In, fact, off the top of my head I can't think of a super bowl winning team that didn't put pressure on the QB.
I disagree--you can have too many pass rushers when you can't get them all on the field at the same time; or when you can't even get some of them on the field in the role that they should be playing.

I agree with all your other points, however. Pass-rusher is just as important to your defense as quarterback and left tackle are to your offense, but you can only have so many of them on the field at one time. The more pure pass-rushers you have on the field, the more you give up in terms of coverage and run defense.

And our defense is certainly capable of putting pressure on the quarterback; unless you assume that Ellis will not be recovered and Carpenter is a bust. We have a budding pass-rusher in Ware, a solid backup in Burnett, a veteran still adjusting to a new scheme, with great success, in Ellis, and a rookie who showed his capabilities in his final game. To me, that presents a very good picture at outside linebacker. Where would Moss or another first round pick fit in that picture?