Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Ok, waist more money on a LB we don't need, sounds great LSU.

WE HAVE WADE PHILLIPS!!!!!! We have the players, now all we need is the schemes, and we got them.

I don't really like Aaron Ross, but I may have to live with it.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

mtmock needs more cowbell.

i would like 5 guys....Dwayne Bowe,Jarvis Moss,Reggie Nelson,Chris Houston,&Dwayne Jarrett they are all possibilities i wouldn't mind pass rusher either LSU we sure did interview a lot of olb's at the combine i think if top 2 FS are gone we take Bowe or Moss if there

Dallas Cowboys 07-08 Superbowl CHAMPS!
mtmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
I disagree--you can have too many pass rushers when you can't get them all on the field at the same time; or when you can't even get some of them on the field in the role that they should be playing.

I agree with all your other points, however. Pass-rusher is just as important to your defense as quarterback and left tackle are to your offense, but you can only have so many of them on the field at one time. The more pure pass-rushers you have on the field, the more you give up in terms of coverage and run defense.

And our defense is certainly capable of putting pressure on the quarterback; unless you assume that Ellis will not be recovered and Carpenter is a bust. We have a budding pass-rusher in Ware, a solid backup in Burnett, a veteran still adjusting to a new scheme, with great success, in Ellis, and a rookie who showed his capabilities in his final game. To me, that presents a very good picture at outside linebacker. Where would Moss or another first round pick fit in that picture?
In our defense you NEED to be at least 2 deep at every LB position. I'm sorry, but that's just the way it has to be.

I sound like I'm in the minority, but I don't think Carp will ever be the full time starter at SOLB. I think he's destined for the inside. I hate his speed. That can be covered up at ILB, but at OLB, he'd be less effective. I know you say that we have James and Ayodele, but so what. We just lost Fowler, so that will open up more snaps for Carp. He gives me a sense of security knowing that if one of our starters goes down, he can step in nicely.

We need another OLB. Ellis is old and coming off injury. Burnett needs to stay where he is, backing up Ware.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
I disagree--you can have too many pass rushers when you can't get them all on the field at the same time; or when you can't even get some of them on the field in the role that they should be playing.
The problem is we don't have too many. Don't you remember what happened to our pass rush when Ellis went down?

D-unit is right. When you run a 3-4, you need tons of LBers. Ellis is aging and coming off a major injury. Burnett is athletic, but has yet to come into his own. I also agree with D-unit on Carp; I think he will end up the weakside ILB.

Actually, the more I type, the more I'm liking the idea of Moss. I think he and Ware would make a heck of a tandem.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

I would rather have Moses than Moss.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetBLACK08 View Post
Ok, but why?
Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

Quote:
yea right!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:57 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Ok, but why?
Both Moses and Moss are amazing athletes. They both have numbers supporting their backs. If you want a pass rushing LBer, you want someone strong and stout. Moss is 6'6 and only 250. It just seems that he would get mauled by Guards and Tacles in pro football. He just would not do well with heavy contact. Moses is at 6'5 and at 260. He has the same issue but he is in a better shape than Moss being 1 inch shorter and 10 lbs heavier. Merriman is 6'4 and at 270. Ware is 6'4 and at 260. Ellis played OLB at 6'6 270. There is no doubbt noth of them are astounding athletes, but there is only a certain distance natural talent can take you in the NFL. Another reason I guess for picking up Moses would be that the 'Boys can pick him up in the 2nd or maybe just maybe in the 3rd.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

moses had 4.5 sacks only last year! moss had 7.5 ....moses ran a 4.85 40, moss ran a 4.7 and in the 4.6 range at his pro day

Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey tnew just wondering, just gonna throw it out there ummm why does everyone hate you?

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:39 AM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmock View Post
moses had 4.5 sacks only last year! moss had 7.5 ....moses ran a 4.85 40, moss ran a 4.7 and in the 4.6 range at his pro day
True, but look at his Junior year. He has about 10 sacks I believe, so knowing that the talent is there and so is ability. All he needs is motivation, but his downfall is speed.

Also, I just checked his recent weight, and he is also in the 250 which totally kills my argument. Anyways, the 'boys just have a better chance at getting Moses. Moss will probably be gone after the 1st round, only Moses has a decent chance of falling.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:03 AM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
hey tnew just wondering, just gonna throw it out there ummm why does everyone hate you?
because hes a know it all who knows nothing at all. and makes arguments out what he wants to happen instead of using facts and reason :)

Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
mtmock
Rookie

Quote:
True, but look at his Junior year. He has about 10 sacks I believe, so knowing that the talent is there and so is ability. All he needs is motivation, but his downfall is speed.

Also, I just checked his recent weight, and he is also in the 250 which totally kills my argument. Anyways, the 'boys just have a better chance at getting Moses. Moss will probably be gone after the 1st round, only Moses has a decent chance of falling.
kudos for at least admitting youre bad ;)

Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The answer is in my sign ;)

I agree that you can't have too many pass rusher, but you can't use yout first round pick to stay on the bench or be situational players. Because if we draft Moss, him or Carpenter will hit the bench for long time.

Now, D-Unit, we have only one game where Carpenter started in the 3-4 defense. And in that game he was great and he outplayed Ware. So why are you not confident with him outside?
Ok, you can say that one game don't make a player, and that's right, but we don't have other proofs to say if he can play outside or not...
So I agree that we can draft another pass rusher, but not in the first round.

BTW, your mock draft is awesome, and I simply love the Craig Davis pick. He will make thule say "Ted Ginn who?" :D

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Last edited by Modano : 03-16-2007 at 03:08 AM. Reason: grammar
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:46 AM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't really know.

Anyway, D-Unit, how is Carpenter slow?!??!!?!?

He ran a 4.61 40:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/carpenter_bobby

Merriman ran a 4.66, just to let you know. I know Ware ran a 4.54, but Ware is a freak, you can't expect that from everyone.

Last edited by TNewFan41 : 03-16-2007 at 07:50 AM.
TNewFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:04 AM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO Tim Crowder is the save pick if Cowboys wants to draft a DE/OLB. He have the speed and is strongest DE in this draft. His College career is better than both Moses and Moss.
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

I think he is more of a true 4-3 DE.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah but hes still athletic enough to play OLB
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41 View Post
I think he is more of a true 4-3 DE.
I disagree with you, he should be a prefect SOLB for us.
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:55 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc View Post
IMO Tim Crowder is the save pick if Cowboys wants to draft a DE/OLB. He have the speed and is strongest DE in this draft. His College career is better than both Moses and Moss.
I like Brian Robison better as a DE/OLB prospect. I think he's more athletic than Crowder.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, I wouldn't mind either of those UT guys.

I personally do not think much of Mack Brown and his staff's ability to develop & coach up players. I think both of these guys could end up being very good NFL players.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

How 'bout nelson/ross in the first and charles johnson in the second. Scott has him falling to 3 or 4 picks before us in the second so it could be possible.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I'm okay with Ross or Nelson. I'm not too sure on Johnson. He did not show much speed and quickness at the combine. I don't mind his height much if he's really quick, but not real quick and short are a bad combination, IMO.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I'm okay with Ross or Nelson. I'm not too sure on Johnson. He did not show much speed and quickness at the combine. I don't mind his height much if he's really quick, but not real quick and short are a bad combination, IMO.
Actually the reports I read on Johnson at the Combine were that he looked really agile and fluid in the LB drills. Saying he stood out. I like Johnson, but I think Scott is wrong. I highly doubt he lasts that far into the second round.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
The answer is in my sign ;)

I agree that you can't have too many pass rusher, but you can't use yout first round pick to stay on the bench or be situational players. Because if we draft Moss, him or Carpenter will hit the bench for long time.

Now, D-Unit, we have only one game where Carpenter started in the 3-4 defense. And in that game he was great and he outplayed Ware. So why are you not confident with him outside?
Ok, you can say that one game don't make a player, and that's right, but we don't have other proofs to say if he can play outside or not...
So I agree that we can draft another pass rusher, but not in the first round.

BTW, your mock draft is awesome, and I simply love the Craig Davis pick. He will make thule say "Ted Ginn who?" :D
Carpenter's time will come. Look, we all know Parcells drafted Carpenter because at the time we were looking for a SOLB guy. I wish I could get into the mind of Parcells to know why he didn't leave Carp at SOLB as a back up to Ellis once the season began. I can only take guesses. What ever the reasons were, BP decided to have Carp at SILB backing up Ayodele. I think that was a brilliant idea because the duty of SILB is to stuff the run on running plays and he also gets to rush the QB on passing downs. The SILB usually has to be bigger than the WILB and be able to withstand constant pounding. Carpenter has the body size to do take on blockers, take on the pounding, and yet also has the skills to provide a blitz from the ILB position. Carp has better range and instinct better suited for an ILB, than straightline speed and athleticism better suited for an OLB.

I understand your gripes about playing time and him seeing the field... just leave that up to the coaching staff. Don't invest much worry into it, if you know what I mean. It's hardly important. The players who suit up on Sunday will see the field.