Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 04-27-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure if Holliday for sure is gone. Merling and Langford aren't ready to start right away. Merling should see the field a lot but he still has to get healthy and put on some more weight before he is a full time 3-4 DE. And Longford is very raw. Both will contribute, but I still think Holliday and Starks start next season, at least at the beginning of the year.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
I'm not sure if Holliday for sure is gone. Merling and Langford aren't ready to start right away. Merling should see the field a lot but he still has to get healthy and put on some more weight before he is a full time 3-4 DE. And Longford is very raw. Both will contribute, but I still think Holliday and Starks start next season, at least at the beginning of the year.
Guts still tells me Matt Roth is getting dealt for a 4th. With Holliday and Starks starting and Merling 1st off the bench and Wright likely getting some snaps as well and not to mention Langford waiting in the wings. There's just not place for him and he's not a good fit as a 3-4 DE.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

I see a OL with this pick. Carl Nicks would be nice, as would Roy Schuening or Anthony Collins.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Well we did go OL but not any of the ones I was looking at. I guess I could live with Shawn Murphy as the pick tho. He's definately one of the biggest OGs in the draft at 320 LBS so he fits the system perfectly. Gotta be our starting LG this coming year I'm guessing.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:27 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea Toon thinks he can start at LG next season. Would have preferred some other guys but I'm not gonna doubt this pick. Odd we traded up for him though.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 04-27-2008, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Yea Toon thinks he can start at LG next season. Would have preferred some other guys but I'm not gonna doubt this pick. Odd we traded up for him though.
Yea I was reading his profile and stuff. Sounds like a typical Parcells OG. Really like what he brings. Only thing is he's 25. I absolutely hate drafting old prospects. NFL lifespans are short enough, we don't need to draft guys that are already starting out with a short one. He should be a solid OG for the next 7 or so years however if he works out the way they want so I can't complain with that.

We only gave up a 7th. I'm sure we'll find a way to get that pick back. Lots of talent still on the board with Henderson and Robertson at LB, Bryant, Rubin, and Okam at NT (We need to get one of those guys). Tons of OL. Plus there's some pretty good CBs in Trae Williams, Scandrick, Jack Williams and DeJuan Tribble. Not to mention some pretty solid DS on the board still as well.

We need to try to get another pick before round 6 to try to get one of these guys before they go off the board.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Really like the Parmele pick. Ricky is still a question mark and Ronnie might not be 100 percent this season. Parmele has alot of upside, great size and is a workhorse type back. This kid screams Marion Barber to me. He might never reach that Pro Bowl level but he is a nice insurance piece and could grow into a good short yardage, goal line and 3rd down back. He was one of my favorite sleepers in the draft.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Like the Donald Thomas pick. Kinda has a small lower body but he's got some potential. Parmele is a good pick too, but guy and ran pretty well.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Have to say, this draft has hit a homerun.

We got 3 OL and 2 DL which we definately needed. Huge for us as we were desperate to build up the trenches.

Also love landing our QB of the future where we did.

Parmele and Hillard seem like a solid late round HB/FB combo. Guess Mauia is gonna be cut. Still I really like Parmele and Hillard sounds like he is ideal as the type of FB we are looking for in our roster.

I was looking for a late round WR and LB but I guess they feel they are ok there until next year's draft. A little more offense heavy then I thought and more small schools guys then I'd like but overall it was an extremely solid draft with alot of hits in the trenches. Much needed, this should help us a ton.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Definitely a great draft. Built up the trenches and got a QB. Dotson was a nice pick late. Don't really think the Hilliard pick means Mauia is gone, I think Hilliard not making the team is more likely.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Definitely a great draft. Built up the trenches and got a QB. Dotson was a nice pick late. Don't really think the Hilliard pick means Mauia is gone, I think Hilliard not making the team is more likely.
Remember Mauia wasn't even on the draft database for Scott or NFL.com last year. After he was taken, rumors were that us and SD were the onyl real teams that even considered him a legit prospect. I thought he held his own last season but he just got arrestted, we just wasted a draft pick on a new FB that looks to be much better as a fit for the offense we will be running. It just looks like the writing is on the wall for Hillard to make the team and Mauia to be out the door.

I also like the Dotson pick. 3 DEs in this draft. That's huge. Our DL is one young NT away from being pretty well stocked with young talent to build our team around. Have to love that. Also with Merling, Langford, definately holding down spots and Dotson also likely to make the PS at the very least. We now have a glut at that spot. We need to keep Holliday to show these kids the ropes but one of Roth or Wright looks to be out the door and judging on last year's play, the contract size and the trade value. Roth I'm guessing will be dealt for a picks in next year's draft.

We need to make Marcus Monk, Erin Henderson and Darrell Robertson our priority UDFAs.

Love how we stocked the trenches and built our future for the running game and QB as well.

We are sitting pretty go go heavily at LB, WR and DB next season and compliment that with some more OL and DL as we need to draft at those spots every year.

EDIT: As soon as I post this, the Bears take Monk. Figures.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:35 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm ok with the Murphy pick, but wouldn't Schuening have been a better value and isn't he a better player anyway? I know the regime liked this guy but I feel like they missed on some serious value at that pick when there were so many better players left on the board. And why did they feel they had to move up 5 spots? Was he really a threat to go within those 5 picks?

Oh well, a very unspectacular draft, but one that will help build the foundation of our team and will go a long way toward shoring up our offensive and defensive lines completely. Something we needed for sure. Our Lines are set for the future now for sure.

One thing I didn't understand AT ALL, was the complete diregard for arguably the weakest position on our team, Cornerback. We didn't draft ONE player in the secondary. I didn't like that all. Hopefully we can bring in some UDFA to compete like local Glenn Sharpe maybe.

A little disappointed we didn't draft any Wr's either. I thought we said we were looking for a true #1, it seems odd that they stared Arrington, Urrutia, and Monk right in the face in the 7th and chose to go RB twice and draft ANOTHER 3-4 DE when we already had Langford, Merling, Wright, Roth, Starks, & Holliday. Oh well, we will see that happens with the free agents now.

I give our first draft under the Tuna a B- for what it's worth.

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:27 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I'm ok with the Murphy pick, but wouldn't Schuening have been a better value and isn't he a better player anyway? I know the regime liked this guy but I feel like they missed on some serious value at that pick when there were so many better players left on the board. And why did they feel they had to move up 5 spots? Was he really a threat to go within those 5 picks?

Oh well, a very unspectacular draft, but one that will help build the foundation of our team and will go a long way toward shoring up our offensive and defensive lines completely. Something we needed for sure. Our Lines are set for the future now for sure.

One thing I didn't understand AT ALL, was the complete diregard for arguably the weakest position on our team, Cornerback. We didn't draft ONE player in the secondary. I didn't like that all. Hopefully we can bring in some UDFA to compete like local Glenn Sharpe maybe.

A little disappointed we didn't draft any Wr's either. I thought we said we were looking for a true #1, it seems odd that they stared Arrington, Urrutia, and Monk right in the face in the 7th and chose to go RB twice and draft ANOTHER 3-4 DE when we already had Langford, Merling, Wright, Roth, Starks, & Holliday. Oh well, we will see that happens with the free agents now.

I give our first draft under the Tuna a B- for what it's worth.

I unblocked you so I could see your reaction on Gholston going to the Jets, lol.

Anyways, what exactly were you expecting out of this draft? I was not expecting any WRs or CBs unless they were late round fliers and quite frankly, outside of Monk, there was really no WR or CB that even got me remotely interested late in the draft.

We did exactly we I thought we would do. We got a meat and potatoes draft. We built up the lines. I've been saying for a long time that this line was going to be heavy on the front 7 and the OL with maybe a QB of the future and a late round developmental WR or CB mixed in. That's exactly what we got. We drafted 3 OL, 3 DL, our QB of the future, and a couple of late round developmental guys (at RB and FB instead of WR and CB). The draft went pretty much exactly how I thought it would go.

Absolutely nothing to be upset about and we did very well, this is exactly what we needed to build our team through and will benefit us greatly in the long run. We got great value at the spot where we picked Merling, Henne, Donald Thomas and Jalen Parmele. Those guys were awesome value picks and should have gone much higher IMO. Long, Hillard and Murphy went right around where they were projected to go. There was no real bad reach with any of our picks that I could see. We might have left a little better talent on the board when we picked Murphy but our FO obviously felt strongly about him because they traded up to make sure we got him and I love that. If you feel strongly about a guy, go get him.

Our brass obviously felt good about all the guys they got because they had some of these guys targetted for a long, long time. You read all about the meeting with Merling. In the thread where I updated the players we met with, you'll see Langford, Dotson and everyone knew we loved Henne. The staff got the guys they really wanted and made it happen.

Overall it was a great draft, I couldn't be happier. A+

Next year we can target WR, CB and LB but this year I got pretty much exactly what I wanted and exactly what I was expecting. And with all the new 3-4 DE's we have some guys we can shop there plus Taylor as well so there's definately ammo to make some moves and get picks in next year's draft.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I unblocked you so I could see your reaction on Gholston going to the Jets, lol.

Anyways, what exactly were you expecting out of this draft? I was not expecting any WRs or CBs unless they were late round fliers and quite frankly, outside of Monk, there was really no WR or CB that even got me remotely interested late in the draft.

We did exactly we I thought we would do. We got a meat and potatoes draft. We built up the lines. I've been saying for a long time that this line was going to be heavy on the front 7 and the OL with maybe a QB of the future and a late round developmental WR or CB mixed in. That's exactly what we got. We drafted 3 OL, 3 DL, our QB of the future, and a couple of late round developmental guys (at RB and FB instead of WR and CB). The draft went pretty much exactly how I thought it would go.

Absolutely nothing to be upset about and we did very well, this is exactly what we needed to build our team through and will benefit us greatly in the long run. We got great value at the spot where we picked Merling, Henne, Donald Thomas and Jalen Parmele. Those guys were awesome value picks and should have gone much higher IMO. Long, Hillard and Murphy went right around where they were projected to go. There was no real bad reach with any of our picks that I could see. We might have left a little better talent on the board when we picked Murphy but our FO obviously felt strongly about him because they traded up to make sure we got him and I love that. If you feel strongly about a guy, go get him.

Our brass obviously felt good about all the guys they got because they had some of these guys targetted for a long, long time. You read all about the meeting with Merling. In the thread where I updated the players we met with, you'll see Langford, Dotson and everyone knew we loved Henne. The staff got the guys they really wanted and made it happen.

Next year we can target WR, CB and LB but this year I got pretty much exactly what I wanted and exactly what I was expecting. And with all the new 3-4 DE's we have some guys we can shop there plus Taylor as well so there's definately ammo to make some moves and get picks in next year's draft.
I guess when you look at it like that it seems to be a pretty great draft. I really wanted either Monk or Urrutia in the 7th and it would have been a GREAT draft for me. It wasn't the most exciting draft, but it was a neccessary one. I know why they chose who they did for the msot part and when it coems down to it, i trust Parcells and Ireland. If they think this is what needed to be done then I am all for it.

The only pick I was really excited for this year was Merling. Definitely a contender to be the steal of this draft. Once thought to go as high as the Bengals at #9, we got TREMENDOUS value at #32. I would been happy with either Groves or Merling there. I wish I had known we would go Langford in the 3rd because I would have been going hardcore for Groves in that case, but it's all good. We still have JT, Porter, Moses, & Torbor as our Big time pass rushers for next year and now we have a VERY talented front seven for the future and an offensive line that wil be in place and the foundation of our offense for the next 10 years or so IMO. Whether is be Thomas, Mormino, or Murphy, I believe we found our LG, which leaves us with our starting OL for the next 10 or so years:

LT: Jake Long
LG: Shawn Murphy (where my money's at!)
C: Samson Satele
RG: Justin Smiley
RT: Vernon Carey

I'm excited about solidifying our line for sure. This is what has me most excited about coming out of the draft today, as well as the Defensive Line (although I think the NT spot is a bit cloudy still as far as the future is concerned.)

BTW, I am on the Malcolm Jenkins and Brian Cushing trains early for next year!

Oh, and seeing Gholston hold up that Jets jersey made me absolutely sick to my stomach. One good thing about it that he didn't go to the Pats. When it came down to it, I knew he would end up in either NY or NE and I'd much rather see him with those Loser Jets.

Here's to watching Big Jake put Gholston in the ground for the next 10+ years!! :D

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

We still need to see how the young guys step up at OL and DE but we definately upgraded the talent and youth of the trenches big time. If everything goes well with the guys we brought in at those spots (Long, Smiley, Murphy, Thomas at OT. Starks, Merling, Langford, Dotson at DE) then we will really only be looking for a backup and insurance OT in round 3 or 4 next year and a NT hopefully in round 2.

We definately will be looking at OLB, CB next season.

Consider me jumping on Malcolm Jenkins (CB), Eric Moncur (OLB), and BJ Raji (NT) as of now as some of my favorite guys for us next year if things play out the way we want. We will likely still be picking in the 6-10 range.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:38 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Yea my guy right now for next year is Malcolm Jenkins as well. Keeping an eye on Terrence Taylor as well (hopefully he doesn't turn out like the other Michigan DTs).

As for the late round guys sure there are guys I would have preferred, but it's late in the draft and it wasn't anything too awful. Absolutely loved the first 4 picks. Next season isn't gonna be that fun but the future is looking good.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 04-27-2008, 11:39 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
We still need to see how the young guys step up at OL and DE but we definately upgraded the talent and youth of the trenches big time. If everything goes well with the guys we brought in at those spots (Long, Smiley, Murphy, Thomas at OT. Starks, Merling, Langford, Dotson at DE) then we will really only be looking for a backup and insurance OT in round 3 or 4 next year and a NT hopefully in round 2.

We definately will be looking at OLB, CB next season.

Consider me jumping on Malcolm Jenkins (CB), Eric Moncur (OLB), and BJ Raji (NT) as of now as some of my favorite guys for us next year if things play out the way we want. We will likely still be picking in the 6-10 range.
Yeah, I am a big fan of Raji too. Hopefully he can heal up from that injury. His teammate Ron Brace seems to be a nice NT prospect for next year as well. In fact, they might be the top two NT prospects for the '09 draft. What a talented BC interior line!

For CB, Malcolm Jenkins is the obvious favorite. But I am a HUGE Macho Harris fan and would love to get him next year. I think he is twice the prospect Flowers was this year and look for him to have a big-time season at VT. One of my early favorites to challenge MJ for the top CB ranking next year. Some added return value as well. He was my favorite corner prospect this year as well before he pulled a 360 and decided to return back to VT for his Senior Year! :(

Moncur goes without being said. I am so excited to see him step out of Calais's shadow this year and dominate. I look for him to have a monster year and hopefully be considered one of the top Hybrids for next year's draft. I would love to have him in a Dolphins uniform if all goes well, that's for sure!

Last edited by thebow305 : 04-27-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:

Joe,

While I like the focus on the trenches, this is far from an A+ draft. There were a ton of good players that went off the board between the Murphy pick and the Parmele pick. Miami should have played the draft to make sure that they had a fifth round pick somehow. Tons of players went in that range that could really have helped us. To me, that goes back to the lack of Jason Taylor trade. I think they were a little too stubborn on that. I think that if they went back to Jax and asked for their #2 and one of their #5's this yr or one next yr, the deal would have gotten done and we would have Quentin Groves right now.

I also thought they took Langford a bit high and would have loved to see them drop a little more and add back the 5 that they did not have.

I thought the first day was an A-, but for me gets downgraded to a B- because of not trading JT. . Especially love the pick of Merling........

Day 2 was more of more a B-, C+ for me because I feel that they let the draft slip away some when there could have been more players added. I don't have a problems with the players picked too much. I think Murphy will be a player. I think they should have drafted Ahtyba Rubin in round 6 ahead of Parmele, but we will see how that turns out.

Basically, the reasons I do not grade it as high as you is that they did not get a WR and that they did not get the true 3-4 OLB/pass rusher. Those things could have been accomplished more easily with a JT trade to add picks...

Overall, I see a B- draft that could have been an A-, had they traded JT.

Last edited by Quagmire : 04-28-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Joe,

While I like the focus on the trenches, this is far from an A+ draft. There were a ton of good players that went off the board between the Murphy pick and the Parmele pick. Miami should have played the draft to make sure that they had a fifth round pick somehow. Tons of players went in that range that could really have helped us. To me, that goes back to the lack of Jason Taylor trade. I think they were a little too stubborn on that. I think that if they went back to Jax and asked for their #2 and one of their #5's this yr or one next yr, the deal would have gotten done and we would have Quentin Groves right now.

I also thought they took Langford a bit high and would have loved to see them drop a little more and add back the 5 that they did not have.

I thought the first day was an A-, but for me gets downgraded to a B- because of not trading JT. . Especially love the pick of Merling........

Day 2 was more of more a B-, C+ for me because I feel that they let the draft slip away some when there could have been more players added. I don't have a problems with the players picked too much. I think Murphy will be a player. I think they should have drafted Ahtyba Rubin in round 6 ahead of Parmele, but we will see how that turns out.

I agree about the Jax part as far as the 2nd and 5th goes, as well as Groves being a Dolphin in that case. I would have LOVED it if our first day had ended with Jake Long, Phillip Merling, Quentin Groves, and Chad Henne. Oh well.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Memorex
Rookie

Memorex needs more cowbell.

Look at this freak QB that we got as an UDFA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOfVreEXJM4

I'm guessing he will be trying out as a WR or KR seeing he is a whopping 5'9 165
Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memorex View Post
Look at this freak QB that we got as an UDFA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOfVreEXJM4

I'm guessing he will be trying out as a WR or KR seeing he is a whopping 5'9 165
This guy has to make the team. Just looks like one of those pain in the butt players to defend. Very jittery and super quick. If you make him a kick returner, you can give Ginn a little break which should help him become a better WR. Wow, that was something to watch...
Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Joe,

Basically, the reasons I do not grade it as high as you is that they did not get a WR and that they did not get the true 3-4 OLB/pass rusher. Those things could have been accomplished more easily with a JT trade to add picks...

Dude, your evaluate a draft based on the players you got with the picks you had. Just because we didn't trade our best player for 2 extra picks you completely downgrade our entire draft? Let's get realistic here. We drafted 3 DEs. Having JT on the roster is not such a bad thing to help those guys grow as players.

I thought we needed to trade JT as well but saying we didn't have a great draft because we kept our best player is boarderline insane.

With the picks we had, we got exactly what we needed. I couldn't ask for more. I think you guys were hoping to address every single weak area we had as your all asking for NTs, CBs, and WRs. Those are needs but we had way too many holes to fill in 1 draft. Wouldn't have matter if we had 9 picks or 19 picks, there were too many holes to fill in 1 offseason. We spent our resources exactly were they needed to go. In the trenches and at QB.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Dude, your evaluate a draft based on the players you got with the picks you had. Just because we didn't trade our best player for 2 extra picks you completely downgrade our entire draft? Let's get realistic here. We drafted 3 DEs. Having JT on the roster is not such a bad thing to help those guys grow as players.

I thought we needed to trade JT as well but saying we didn't have a great draft because we kept our best player is boarderline insane.

With the picks we had, we got exactly what we needed. I couldn't ask for more. I think you guys were hoping to address every single weak area we had as your all asking for NTs, CBs, and WRs. Those are needs but we had way too many holes to fill in 1 draft. Wouldn't have matter if we had 9 picks or 19 picks, there were too many holes to fill in 1 offseason. We spent our resources exactly were they needed to go. In the trenches and at QB.
Joe,

You can absolutely downgrade a draft for missed opportunities. In this case, not trading JT cost us Quentin Groves. Period. And possibly some more depth picks in the later rds. Now, they have to wait til training camp at the earliest and maybe the trade deadline. What if he gets hurt? What if the distraction of his unhappiness here effects the team? What if his age finally catches up to him. His value plummets.. Bottom line is that they screwed up big time not trading him.

As for the players, you will see that I put down that I really liked the day 1 guys and that while I liked day 2, I thought they could have done better. If I was to ask you before the draft, Adiran Arrington or Lex Hilliard, who are you taking? Ahtyba Rubin or Jalen Parmele? Come on now..

Again, I am not saying it was a bad draft. I have no problem with the building of the "trenches". But, I do have a problem with the fact that I think they left some better players on the board and that they really missed some opportunities with the stubbornness on JT. Think about it, Carl Nicks went in round 5. So did Orlando Scandrick, Roy Schuening, Marcus Howard & Kellen Davis. Those are guys who are going to play in this league this yr. If they "played the game" a little better, I think they would have had some really good players to choose from.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Joe,

You can absolutely downgrade a draft for missed opportunities. In this case, not trading JT cost us Quentin Groves. Period.
How do you know that? You have no idea what was offered. From all accounts Jacksonville never offered us more then a 3rd rounder and the TB talks never even reached the point of talking compensation. Even Schefter acknowledged as much and he's usually spot on with his reporting. There were millions of reports flying during the draft but almost everyone is admitting now that he was not even close to being dealt because we never got a good offer. You can go listen to the ESPN guys, they aren't ripping us for keeping Taylor, they are ripping Jacksonville for not putting their 2nd rounder on the table for him. We never even got a halfway decent offer for him from all accounts so your just projecting what you thought we would have been able to get so we can land Grove but in reality you have no idea if we really had a chance to take him or not by trading JT. There's no way you can downgrade us for not getting Groves when it might not have even been feasible for us to land him. That makes no sense.

If you would have asked me before the draft if I WANTED Rubin, then for sure I would have wanted him over most of our 2nd day picks, no questions asked. If you would have asked me if I thought we were going to GET Rubin, I would have said no way. I was not expecting him in this draft class. You can go to the running list of players I said we were targetting and we drafted a fair amount of them including Langford and Dotson on the DL. It's one thing for me to like a guy and want him but I definately was not expecting him and I think you have to tailor your grading based on realistic expectations. Realistically they were not targetting him and did not want him. I find it hard to fault a team for idenitifing the guys they want, and then going out and getting them and the Dolphins got exactly the guys they wanted as I had heard they had really liked Langford, Dotson, Murphy and Henne for weeks. You know for sure they met with Merling as he even said it and Parmele said Miami was in regular contact with him.

As for Parmele, if a week ago you would have said we traded Booker and are going to take a RB, I would have been looking at him in the 4th round range. I would have taken him ahead of Murphy, ahead of Hillard, ahead of Arrington, Monk, Urrutia. I really, really love Parmele as a prospect. He was one of my favorite sleepers along with Dixon and Omon. Landing him to play ST and then take over as Ronnie's main backup next season I thought was a great move and I find no fault in taking him over anyone. The kid is a really good prospect.

I just think you are projecting what you thought should happen instead of projecting what was realistic to happen. I knew this draft was going to be huge on the trenches and I knew which player the Dolphins had targetted. I am not at all surprised that we passed on Rubin or Arrington or any of those guy because we did not have them targetted. I was more surprised by us passing Dan Connor and Charles Godfrey in round 3 as they were targets of ours and both came to Miami to meet with us. But even then, I can't fault the Langford pick because I know how much the staff liked him and he went almost exactly where I had him on my personal board.

I find on fault in targetting the guys you want and getting them pretty much spot on where their value says they should go. You shouldn't stray from your board because some guy like Rubin drops into round 6 which lets everyone know he wasn't as good as anyone thought he was to begin with.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
How do you know that? You have no idea what was offered. From all accounts Jacksonville never offered us more then a 3rd rounder and the TB talks never even reached the point of talking compensation. Even Schefter acknowledged as much and he's usually spot on with his reporting. There were millions of reports flying during the draft but almost everyone is admitting now that he was not even close to being dealt because we never got a good offer. You can go listen to the ESPN guys, they aren't ripping us for keeping Taylor, they are ripping Jacksonville for not putting their 2nd rounder on the table for him. We never even got a halfway decent offer for him from all accounts so your just projecting what you thought we would have been able to get so we can land Grove but in reality you have no idea if we really had a chance to take him or not by trading JT. There's no way you can downgrade us for not getting Groves when it might not have even been feasible for us to land him. That makes no sense.

If you would have asked me before the draft if I WANTED Rubin, then for sure I would have wanted him over most of our 2nd day picks, no questions asked. If you would have asked me if I thought we were going to GET Rubin, I would have said no way. I was not expecting him in this draft class. You can go to the running list of players I said we were targetting and we drafted a fair amount of them including Langford and Dotson on the DL. It's one thing for me to like a guy and want him but I definately was not expecting him and I think you have to tailor your grading based on realistic expectations. Realistically they were not targetting him and did not want him. I find it hard to fault a team for idenitifing the guys they want, and then going out and getting them and the Dolphins got exactly the guys they wanted as I had heard they had really liked Langford, Dotson, Murphy and Henne for weeks. You know for sure they met with Merling as he even said it and Parmele said Miami was in regular contact with him.

As for Parmele, if a week ago you would have said we traded Booker and are going to take a RB, I would have been looking at him in the 4th round range. I would have taken him ahead of Murphy, ahead of Hillard, ahead of Arrington, Monk, Urrutia. I really, really love Parmele as a prospect. He was one of my favorite sleepers along with Dixon and Omon. Landing him to play ST and then take over as Ronnie's main backup next season I thought was a great move and I find no fault in taking him over anyone. The kid is a really good prospect.

I just think you are projecting what you thought should happen instead of projecting what was realistic to happen. I knew this draft was going to be huge on the trenches and I knew which player the Dolphins had targetted. I am not at all surprised that we passed on Rubin or Arrington or any of those guy because we did not have them targetted. I was more surprised by us passing Dan Connor and Charles Godfrey in round 3 as they were targets of ours and both came to Miami to meet with us. But even then, I can't fault the Langford pick because I know how much the staff liked him and he went almost exactly where I had him on my personal board.

I find on fault in targetting the guys you want and getting them pretty much spot on where their value says they should go. You shouldn't stray from your board because some guy like Rubin drops into round 6 which lets everyone know he wasn't as good as anyone thought he was to begin with.
Joe,

It is pretty obvious that we were asking for a #1, and were getting offers for #3's. It is not that hard to think that a compromise could have been reached on a #2.. I just think that Tuna was a little pig-headed and would not budge off of his price. When Jax saw this, they decided not to wait and traded for Harvey in rd 1. This killed his leverage and at that point, it was not worth them giving their #2 to get him...

Your analogy of Rubin not being that good to begin with because he dropped does not fly. If that is the case, why did Parmele drop to round 6? He must not be that good either if you use that philosophy....... As far as I remember, his name did not come up one time on this board during the draft process.

Look, I am not saying it was a bad draft, but I will definitely say it is not the perfect draft that you are describing. Taylor was a chip that could and should have been used and they blew it.. In a private moment, I think they would admit that they screwed up on that one...