Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 02-27-2007, 06:17 AM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

evershot hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Offical Chicago Bears Free Agency Thread

Considering that Free Agency actually comes before the draft and what happens during FA will determine what the Bears are able to do in the draft. I thought it would be appropriate to have a FA thread.

I'll go first here are some possible targets.

O-line: Eric Steinbach (CIN). I don't understand this boards reluctance to accept that Steinbach is most likely a high profile target for the Bears. He is versatile and he could be moved outside. If the Bears get him it pushes the need for an O-linemen back into the second day.

TE: Jeremy Stevens (Sea). This might be a stretch considering questions about his maturity. However he has improved on his blocking and is viable threat to stretch the field down the middle.

Daniel Graham (NE) He is a solid blocking TE with the ability to be a good receiving TE. He was a former first round pick and has good athleticism.
evershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 AM    (permalink
NYmoney
Veteran

NYmoney needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evershot View Post
Considering that Free Agency actually comes before the draft and what happens during FA will determine what the Bears are able to do in the draft. I thought it would be appropriate to have a FA thread.

I'll go first here are some possible targets.

O-line: Eric Steinbach (CIN). I don't understand this boards reluctance to accept that Steinbach is most likely a high profile target for the Bears. He is versatile and he could be moved outside. If the Bears get him it pushes the need for an O-linemen back into the second day.

TE: Jeremy Stevens (Sea). This might be a stretch considering questions about his maturity. However he has improved on his blocking and is viable threat to stretch the field down the middle.

Daniel Graham (NE) He is a solid blocking TE with the ability to be a good receiving TE. He was a former first round pick and has good athleticism.

Jerramy Stevens is a bum. There is no chance he signs with Chicago. Plus, Desmond Clark had a better season, with less incidents.
NYmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 AM    (permalink
blkwdw13
Rookie

blkwdw13 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would like them to go after Stienbach or possibly Dielman but not at the price I think they are going to command.
blkwdw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:38 AM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkwdw13 View Post
I would like them to go after Stienbach or possibly Dielman but not at the price I think they are going to command.

I think Stienbach represents better value because he could eventually be moved outside.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would not mind going with Daniel Graham. I just dont want the Bears to overspend on FA this year on other teams players, save the money for our young guys that are going to be FA next year.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBear View Post
I would not mind going with Daniel Graham. I just dont want the Bears to overspend on FA this year on other teams players, save the money for our young guys that are going to be FA next year.
Daniel Graham is a TE and he may not command the same big salaries which the O-linemen would, but I think every team will have to over spend this off season because many teams will have a lot of salary cap money to spend.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Then I am all for letting those teams spend all their cap space and then go with the left overs. We dont need any quick fixes, at least none that this years FA could provide.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Then I am all for letting those teams spend all their cap space and then go with the left overs. We dont need any quick fixes, at least none that this years FA could provide.
Exactly. Not to mention that with the frugality the franchise is known for it'll be hard enough to keep our own players.

I'm starting to really sympathize with Briggs (as much as one can sympathize with a guy making 7 million).

Chris Kelsey recently got 13 million guaranteed with 24 million extra over 4 years and he's a mediocre player. I think with this market Briggs honestly could get 20-25 million guaranteed instead of the 7.2 base he's getting from the Bears. I'm sure a lot of people will be upset when he skips all of training camp, but honestly I have a hard time blaming him when looking at it objectively.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

I dont blame him for wanting to get paid, but he still needs to show up. If the Bears really dont want to pay him that money, they should try to trade him. I'd prefer to get something for him then nothing. And it is something the Bears need to decide on before the draft. Any longer, then the Bears need to pay him fair market value.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont blame him for wanting to get paid, but he still needs to show up. If the Bears really dont want to pay him that money, they should try to trade him. I'd prefer to get something for him then nothing. And it is something the Bears need to decide on before the draft. Any longer, then the Bears need to pay him fair market value.
Well by the CBA he doesn't have to attend anything untill he signs the tender, and has untill the start of the season for him to sign, meaning he can miss all training camp and I believe the first two weeks of preseason.

Honestly it's a small price to pay considering how much guaranteed money they are saving with him.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:14 PM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

Since Angelo has gotten here the Bears have been spending the cash more than the media makes it seem. As for Briggs it was a business decision and seriously if you can get a 50-60% discount wouldn't you take it?

As for waiting to take the leftovers I would say that is Angelo's M.O. so I wouldn't be surprise if this did happen.

But Angelo's NFL Personale has done a great job in evaluating current NFL talent that is available via FA. It also free's up the Bears in the draft and gives them more flexiblity. Like last year when they signed Ricky Manning to play nickel. That move reduce the need to draft a cb that could immediately step in at nickel. This made the move to draft Hester a lot easier.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:15 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

My question would be if the Bears wait that long, are they still going to resign him and would he still want to stay with the Bears. Because by then they will have all of next years FA to worry about as well, and he might just decide to play out the season and go somewhere else this time next year.

If the Bears are going to sign him long term, I think this is the year to do so when there really is no one esle they could use their cap space on. And I hope they front load the deal as well, so when it comes time resign Vasher/Harris/Berrian stc.. a good chunk of his contract is already out of the way.

But if they are not going to resign him, I would like to trade him now and get something for him.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

AS for this so called discount, there is a difference between lowest cost and lowest initial cost. Briggs just might demand even more money next year, and resigning him then might also cost more money, but also one of their own young players. Or they just might loose him. So if they are going to sign him, I think its cheaper in the long run to do so now, and like I just said front load his contract (people always value money now over money later) to get as much of his salary off the books so it will be more affordable for the Bears to resign their other good young players. Besides, its not like there really is someone else out there that Bears could use their cap space on this year.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Anyone interested in Adam Timmerman if we don't re-sign Brown? Personally I think we'll just go with Metcalf, but if they wanted to go the veteran route and couldn't sign Brown that might be a good way to go for a one year option.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:53 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bf you were just in the Packer forum ripping on us for possibly looking as Stevens, so I hope the bears get him so i can do the same to you.... Also, wasn't it you who said Free agency was for chumps?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

How can you not like Adam Timmerman? He looks like a stupid redneck and is from South Dakota. I'd be shocked if you weren't related quite frankly.

And Free Agency is for suckers, but if we can sign him for the vet minimum I'd be ok with that. The difference is that Stevens is going to make 4-6 million per year to suck. Personally I'd be fine if we sign nobody and start signing the guys we do have to longterm deals.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Anyone interested in Adam Timmerman if we don't re-sign Brown? Personally I think we'll just go with Metcalf, but if they wanted to go the veteran route and couldn't sign Brown that might be a good way to go for a one year option.
I would not mind it, but I think I would prefer to draft one instead beacuse one of these years the age of the OL will catch up with the Bears. I dont want to rebuild the whole line in one offseason.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How can you not like Adam Timmerman? He looks like a stupid redneck and is from South Dakota. I'd be shocked if you weren't related quite frankly.

And Free Agency is for suckers, but if we can sign him for the vet minimum I'd be ok with that. The difference is that Stevens is going to make 4-6 million per year to suck. Personally I'd be fine if we sign nobody and start signing the guys we do have to longterm deals.
Hmm.... When did I say anything about Timmerman?
Also, yeah. I'm a stupid Redneck considering I come from one of the nicest and most wealthy areas in the country... good one.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 02-28-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would not mind it, but I think I would prefer to draft one instead beacuse one of these years the age of the OL will catch up with the Bears. I dont want to rebuild the whole line in one offseason.
I agree, I dont think Timmerman would be that big of an upgrade over what we currently have, I think a OT in round 2 would be perfect

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Hmm.... When did I say anything about Timmerman?
Also, yeah. I'm a stupid Redneck considering I come from one of the nicest and most wealthy areas in the country... good one.
You're from South Dakota aren't you? It's all butt **** country to me.

And I misread your previous post. By "him" I thought you meant Timmerman.

We won't sign Stevens, never ever ever eeeeeeeever going to happen.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You're from South Dakota aren't you? It's all butt **** country to me.

And I misread your previous post. By "him" I thought you meant Timmerman.

We won't sign Stevens, never ever ever eeeeeeeever going to happen.
Let me guess, you've never been to South Dakota? So your assuming South Dakota is lame, correct? Don't aussume, it makes an ass out of you and me!

they get smoked.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

Was looking around on espn.com, looked at their list of 30 fa which teams might sign them. it should surprise no one that the Bears are not listed as a favorite to sign that many of them, actually just one, and that was Anthony Adams. Did not know he was a FA, but he would be someone who would probably come cheap, and might be a good fit as a backup DT.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Let me guess, you've never been to South Dakota? So your assuming South Dakota is lame, correct? Don't aussume, it makes an ass out of you and me!
Uh South Dakota is pretty lame dude. It's a nice place to visit with the scenery and stuff but it's not what I'd call a "happenin" state.

I mean I live in a lame ass place in Bloomington/Normal, but I still like it here.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
evershot
Rookie

Quote:
Was looking around on espn.com, looked at their list of 30 fa which teams might sign them. it should surprise no one that the Bears are not listed as a favorite to sign that many of them, actually just one, and that was Anthony Adams. Did not know he was a FA, but he would be someone who would probably come cheap, and might be a good fit as a backup DT.
Interesting he might make a decent NT for the Bears and he could get some good playing time in the rotation.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Uh South Dakota is pretty lame dude. It's a nice place to visit with the scenery and stuff but it's not what I'd call a "happenin" state.

I mean I live in a lame ass place in Bloomington/Normal, but I still like it here.
You live in the same town as one of the states biggest party schools, don't complain.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote