Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2008 Defense

I'll throw out my lineup's opening day and week 8.

Opening day

CB - Leon Hall
FS - Marvin White
SS - Chinedum Ndukwe
CB - Johnathan Joseph

WLB - Dhani Jones
MLB - Keith Rivers
SLB - Ahmad Brooks

DE - Robert Geathers
DT - John Thornton
DT - Domata Peko
DE - Antwan Odom

Analysis: Saftey spots are interesting. When White/Ndukwe started I felt we lost nothing over Madieu/DJax. Jackson is bound to get his small injuries, he may start the season but at this point I see no reason why it can't be White/Chinny. I think Rivers starts in the middle and Dhani at WLB for stability early on. Odell could obviously earn the middle or weakside spot but I'm not sure he falls into one that early. I don't see Sims starting right away, just gaining reps early on while Thornton starts. Ahmad gets moved to SLB in order (although it will never be said) to allow Odell to return to a more fitting spot, obviously he's best suited for MLB but if not WLB wouldn't be much worse. If you get Ahmad out of the middle you're just better off. Rivers seems better suited to take control of things and Odell has already done it so in my eyes, despite how big I am on Ahmad they're both better options for the middle. With Ahmad you don't lose much no matter which spot you put him in. He could be a beast rushing off the edge.

Week 8
Obviously health is assumed

4-3 Set:

CB - Leon Hall
FS - Marvin White
SS - Chinedum Ndukwe
CB - Johnathan Joseph

WLB - Keith Rivers
MLB - Odell Thurman
SLB - Ahmad Brooks

DE - Robert Geathers
DT - Pat Sims
DT - Domata Peko
DE - Antwan Odom

Analysis: I feel moving Rivers to MLB early helps a lot of things in terms of transition. Rivers played the weakside in college so a move back wouldn't be too difficult and clears the way for Odell to move to his natural position. If not, I could easily see a scenario with Rivers staying inside and Odell at WLB. I don't think that would hinder either player much at all. In the event Ahmad gets hurt, Jeanty is a VERY solid backup. Additionally if it was Jeanty starting then Henderson could come in to rush the passer on 3rd down or from the line if either DE was struggling. I think (hope is probably more like it) that Sims can claim the starting DT spot, provide consistent pressure from the interior and help disrupt the backfield. I'm all but sure at this point that

3-4 Set:

OLB - Robert Geathers
ILB - Odell Thurman
ILB - Keith Rivers
OLB - Ahmad Brooks

DE - Thornton | Sims
NT - Peko | Shirley
DE - Fanene | Rucker

Analysis: Yeah, so I just posted a 3-4 set and this one is different lol. I think Fanene would be a GREAT 3-4 DE with health. Thornton, IMO, is better suited for 3-4 DE than 4-3 DT. Peko and Shirley give us girth at NT. Ahmad and Geathers rushing from the outside would be NASTY. I wouldn't want to be that QB. Henderson would also be a solid 3-4 OLB, plug Jeanty in the middle for depth. I really like a potential 3-4 set. Hopefully it gets to the point of 65/35 with the greater percentage going to 4-3 but at least on passing downs we could show some very interesting 3-4 looks.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
trekindude
Rookie

trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.trekindude wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I completely agree with your opening day analysis, except that I think that Sims will take the starting job most likely in the preseason. I think he has the potential to adapt quickly due to his "amazing hands", which means that even if he's lacking in stunts and moves he's still gonna be keeping of the blocks, which is what we want. As for your 3-4 set, I'm unsure about Fanene playing 3-4 end. He's never really developed in my opinion, and I don't think he'd hold up well being double teamed at end on passing downs. I think/hope that if Sims improves his fitness in the offseason, that he'd be able to play enough snaps to be able to take on the other end slot opposite JT.

All in all I am in agreement. Who do you have playing nickel? I'd say play Deltha in the 3-4, but maybe Lynch in the 4-3. I think I'm slowly falling in love with Lynch. He just seems down to earth and goes about his business, yet he still exhibits 'tude.
trekindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:20 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As per usual I am in agreement with pretty much everything you said. IDK how much of an impact Sims will have this season but he's sure to get his reps throughout the year. I don't see him starting ahead of JT, at least not immediately(but he definitely has the ability to do so). I think Fanene and Rucker will have nice roles in either defense we run with Fanene hopefully moving inside to be in some sort of rotation with Peko/JT. Ideally (IMO) Rucker/Geathers/Odom will all get substantial playing time on the ends.

As for the DBs while I agree that Hall/JJ will be starters I am unsure if Chinny will ever be a full on starter. Don't get me wrong I love the kid(check the sig) and he has plenty of skills but I really LOVE the way we used him last year in a sort of Joker/Bandit role. That said I would not be surprised to see him and White back there from day one. White really has everything you look for to be an impact safety in this league.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I did like Chinny out there in those oddball sets but his best game of the year was against the Browns where he started. 2 INT's, 1 TD and 10 tackles. Granted, Anderson couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but that didn't help him make those tackles. I do agree, I hesitated to put him starting early on but the coaching staff seems to be in love with him. The development of those two safties is why Madieu was let go and saftey wasn't addressed. So at least the coaching staff has confidence for sure. I think as much as anything I'm just not big on Jackson. He's decent blitzing sometimes but other than that you never really see him and it's not like he gets sacks when he does blitz.

With Chinny/White/Rivers/Odell/Ahmad out there, you won't want to get hit. Long time since we could say that. I mean really. We might have the two hardest hitting safties in the league (for what little that's worth).
Old 04-28-2008, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I agree that Marvin White and Ndukwe are probably our future @ safety, I highly doubt Dexter Jackson sits on the bench opening day.

He's a leader, surrounded by young guys. If Thornton is not on the field (who knows if he will or will not be. I doubt he ever plays in our 3-4 packages, and I'm not going to be surprised if he's 3rd on the line once Sims gets acquainted with the NFL in a 4-3) then Dexter would be the oldest guy out there, and marvin knows that and probably wants his leadership on the field. After Dexter who's the next oldest? Odom? the new guy on the team. then who? Thurman? the guy who's been gone for 2 years?

I think we're looking for Rivers / Brooks / Geathers to lead this team by the beginning of the 09 season, but until then I think Marvin is going to respect Dexter's skill sets and keep him as a starter.

Its all just a guess though
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

I'd say I'm about 75% sure Dhani will start opening day. That's your veteran leadership. I honestly don't see Sims taking Thornton's spot early, although I definitely hope that's the case.

It would seem risky throwing 4 guys out in the secondary with the one having the most experience only having 2 years under his belt. Granted, that's what they did at the end of last year although it was really the only possibility.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:14 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also wouldn't be surprised if DJAX ends up being the opening day starter.

And regarding Chinny, I agree he can start I just don't know if he's ready and we really haven't seen him in coverage much yet. And even though we saw less of White I am more confident with his coverage potential.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

Yeah, White did a good job in coverage those last two games. I remember two good throws over the middle that he read correctly and broke up. Although Chinny performed the best last year, I'm more confident with White in the future. That's not a knock on Chinny as much as it is a vote of confidence to White. Chinny sure can lay the wood in run defense.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This might be the first year in MANY that I have been able to say:

"I'm really looking forward to watching this defense"

With the young talent we have (learning curve might be hard a bit) this defense will have the ability to develop under a new D coordinator and LB coach. I like the assessments I have seen by you guys and agree as well. Nothing else needed...

Last edited by BengalMedic : 04-30-2008 at 08:22 AM.
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 PM    (permalink
lost33cause
Rookie

lost33cause hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would prefer our line to be:
DE: Geathers
UT: Peko, best suited for him
NT: Sims
DE: Odom

I'm also not sure exactly how to best utilize our guys at the LB position. I'll leave that up to the guys making the decisions and hopefully all the best guys are on the field.
lost33cause is offline   Reply With Quote