Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Starters

I was listening to 610 (unfortunately) this afternoon and a caller said he gave the Chiefs a D grade mostly because of Jared Allen had to be traded away but also because the Chiefs ended up not getting the starters that they said they were looking for entering the weekend. And this got me thinking that we, as fans, need to understand where coaches come from when they talk about "starters".

First, and this is something I heard Bill Kuharich say earlier, but if a player starts, but then only gets a few snaps a game, is he really a starter? If a linebacker starts the game but then immediately goes out of the game for an extra defensive back due to an offensive package and doesn't return, who was more valuable that day, the linebacker who started but didn't play much or the defensive back who didn't start but played nearly the entire game? Having interacted with a few college coaching staffs, I know that they feel they have to determine who the starting lineups are pretty much just for the pre-game introductions.

Second, I think this draft produces three sure-fire "starters": Dorsey, Albert, and Flowers. Morgan, Franklin and Richardson will have a shot to earn starting jobs over the summer and fall camps, but even if they don't start, chances are they will receive extensive playing time. Charles, Cottam and Robinson also figure to receive extensive playing time, and Johnston is going to get every opportunity to come in and lock down a backup defensive end job.

That's ten of the twelve players drafted, and the other two guys, Carr and Merritt, are developmental, practice squad guys, as is Johnston. Carr and Johnston will both have great opportunities to make the squad when they really don't have any business doing so, but because of the weakness at their positions they have a great shot.

So really, if you look at it, the Chiefs maybe did not get the 5-6 starters they were going for (or maybe they did, too early to tell), but they got 11 guys who will make the squad and will play a lot.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:22 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good post, I couldn't agree more.

The only pick that had me scratching my head was Mike Merritt, but if he can block he would probably fit in well in Chan's new system.

The dark horse in all this for me is Brian Johnston. I love what I've seen and read about this kid. Herm and Gunther are very good (so far) about developing talent and getting the most out of a player, so I think he could be the starting end opposite of Hali before the season is out.

A lot of this depends on how much they want it, but man, doesn't this draft just give you hope?

Exciting stuff! The season cannot get here fast enough.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 04-28-2008 at 07:30 PM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:25 PM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Good stuff village. You are right though. I was listening to Sirus radio today and damn there every fan that called in because team "x" didn't draft such and such position. I get guilty of this myself sometimes as I'm still suprised that we didn't get another lineman earlier than round 6. That said though the more assets you bring into your orginization the more options you have ecspecially if it means you don't have to re-sign marginal starters because you have no backup or with the option to trade players you have excess of. Both of those options give you more picks and allow you to keep stocking your roster and we did a great job of that this weekend.
BPhilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Players are more valueable in packages and subs anyways. Some starters matter, like the star players who are always on the field no matter what.

But if you get into a game where its just a team that likes to pass all the times its better to get a nickle back in and pass rushing DT and DEs. Even Lbs that can drop back.

Slot guys are probably the most important not starters..as Wes Welker proved.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae-KC View Post
Good post, I couldn't agree more.

The only pick that had me scratching my head was Mike Merritt, but if he can block he would probably fit in well in Chan's new system.

The dark horse in all this for me is Brian Johnston. I love what I've seen and read about this kid. Herm and Gunther are very good (so far) about developing talent and getting the most out of a player, so I think he could be the starting end opposite of Hali before the season is out.

A lot of this depends on how much they want it, but man, doesn't this draft just give you hope?

Exciting stuff! The season cannot get here fast enough.
Well, I think they will try to convert mr. merritt to a Guard or Potential LT(ala Brian Waters, I saw that on the kc website). I think 7th rounders are crapshoots anyways....
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 AM    (permalink
bspen4
Rookie

bspen4 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Herm said today on 810 that the TE's will remain TE's
bspen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hermstheman83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jeez, then what's the big rush on TE's? We have like 42 on our roster now
Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.BPhilb is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
Jeez, then what's the big rush on TE's? We have like 42 on our roster now

It seems like a lot of teams do this. I imagine it's players they target specifically to help out on special teams which allows them to contribute immediatley. Herm puts a lot of focus on special teams which isn't a bad thing.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:25 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the stat is that 1 in every 5 plays is a special team play, so it is real important to have them shored up.

Without NFL Europe, it would be difficult to convert Merritt to guard. It was a process that took Waters a few years to go through. You just cant afford to use that roster spot on such a huge project, it would be more difficult than Svitek's ordeal has been.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:20 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my take on possible starters from this class

Dorsey
Albert
Flowers
Cottam(at least when TG leaves)
Morgan(by '09 this is without a doubt a make or break year for Pollard)
Franklin
Carr(maybe not this year but by '09)
Richardson
Johnston

by that account POSSIBLY 9 starters from this class which would be amazing if nothing else most will be quality depth
Old 05-08-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Franklin isn't your #2 receiver next season, I'll be very disappointed.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as would i holt
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
If Franklin isn't your #2 receiver next season, I'll be very disappointed.
Agreed.(10)

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 AM    (permalink
BPhilb
Veteran

I don't think Franklin will be the number 2. We were spoiled with Bowe, but we shouldn't expect much out of a rookie receiver. I think he will eventually grow into a #2 for us and I'm excited about his potential, but right now slot reciever is what I'm hoping he grows into this year.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Hermstheman83
Veteran

Yea, I think Devard Darling is our #2 option right now, he has actual NFL experience, he also has good hands and speed too..

I love the fact that he's like 6'4 and can run a 4.4 fourty(4.37). I thought he got his job taken away from him for some reason...so either A. He's inconsistent or B. the guy that took over his job is a big time reciever who will be playing in the nFL soon.