Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-20-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
True, I guess the thing is if the Saints have a deal worked out with him in principle but he doesn't sign it till free agency it's basically an extension only not for the purposes of the trade.

Now here's a question that if I could get a specific answer to it would be great. Kerry Rhodes I (and I think some other people here) have assumed is our strong safety. Only when I look at his nfl.com page and our depth chart it has him listed as a free safety. I think he was a strong safety on the Pro Bowl ballot though. So what's the deal? Is he a SS or a FS? That obviously makes a big difference when it comes to the draft because if he's a FS then a guy like William Moore makes more sense if he doesn't continue to drop like a lead balloon. Also, with Rex Ryan coming in I figure Rhodes can play a kind of Ed Reed role for the defense so I checked what Reed is listed as and their depth chart has him listed as a FS also. So some clarification would be awesome since it is relatively important as far as how we're going to address the need there.

i was confused about the same thing with rhodes and really i think he could be used as either but im not sure what the team uses/views him as...

i said the same about rhodes playing the ed reed role but i was hoping in the 1st round of this draft we could get taylor mays to do thta or brandon spikes to play the ray lewis role...but there both going back which i was really dissapointed with
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
True, I guess the thing is if the Saints have a deal worked out with him in principle but he doesn't sign it till free agency it's basically an extension only not for the purposes of the trade.

Now here's a question that if I could get a specific answer to it would be great. Kerry Rhodes I (and I think some other people here) have assumed is our strong safety. Only when I look at his nfl.com page and our depth chart it has him listed as a free safety. I think he was a strong safety on the Pro Bowl ballot though. So what's the deal? Is he a SS or a FS? That obviously makes a big difference when it comes to the draft because if he's a FS then a guy like William Moore makes more sense if he doesn't continue to drop like a lead balloon. Also, with Rex Ryan coming in I figure Rhodes can play a kind of Ed Reed role for the defense so I checked what Reed is listed as and their depth chart has him listed as a FS also. So some clarification would be awesome since it is relatively important as far as how we're going to address the need there.
In the system we have been using our FS and SS are generally interchangeable, it usually depends on the play calling. For our drafting it would be basically finding someone who's strengths compliment Rhodes' weaknesses and vice versa.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
In the system we have been using our FS and SS are generally interchangeable, it usually depends on the play calling. For our drafting it would be basically finding someone who's strengths compliment Rhodes' weaknesses and vice versa.
It's tough though with Rhodes. He's solid in run support and a great blitzer but isn't really a scary hitter, and he's got nice ball skills but isn't great in coverage. So is the better fit a guy like William Moore or Patrick Chung that could really smack guys when they come across the middle and make some plays on the ball also, or a coverage guy like S/CB tweener Sean Smith of Utah? Rashad Johnson can do a lot of things also so I think he fits regardless I'm trying to look more at opposite ends of the spectrum here.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say it's more important to find someone that can play center field and allow Rhodes to go wherever he pleases. Covering up his deficiencies in coverage are more important than getting a guy that can lay the wood IMO. If we want a big hitter, we should be trying our hardest to draft a certain Polynesian.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:29 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I say it's more important to find someone that can play center field and allow Rhodes to go wherever he pleases. Covering up his deficiencies in coverage are more important than getting a guy that can lay the wood IMO. If we want a big hitter, we should be trying our hardest to draft a certain Polynesian.
Agreed. Sean Smith is probably the best option there but I think Rashad Johnson is solid as well and I know you agree. If Smith rises he's gone by our second rounder anyway, though I think Johnson very well could be also. Maualuga could absolutely be a stud for us I've really been warming up to him though I like Sintim also.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Agreed. Sean Smith is probably the best option there but I think Rashad Johnson is solid as well and I know you agree. If Smith rises he's gone by our second rounder anyway, though I think Johnson very well could be also. Maualuga could absolutely be a stud for us I've really been warming up to him though I like Sintim also.
yeah maulugas intensity i think would be a great fit in ryans system, and he would be a great compliment to david harris
Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Scott had us talking to Derrick Williams, Nic Harris, and Larry English. English and Harris don't make much sense to me unless English moves inside and I'm not really sure where we'd think Harris could fit in the 3-4 and he doesn't seem to have the speed to move to safety. Williams is interesting because he is a speedy wideout though his lack of production is never something you like to see.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Scott had us talking to Derrick Williams, Nic Harris, and Larry English. English and Harris don't make much sense to me unless English moves inside and I'm not really sure where we'd think Harris could fit in the 3-4 and he doesn't seem to have the speed to move to safety. Williams is interesting because he is a speedy wideout though his lack of production is never something you like to see.
Well if you look at last year, we didn't even take anyone we looked at. Who knows though. I do wonder who is actually representing us though.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Well if you look at last year, we didn't even take anyone we looked at. Who knows though. I do wonder who is actually representing us though.
Ya I've always wondered what the teams look at as far as prospects at the senior bowl...it really would be interesting to see who they drafted compared to the players they looked at.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
yeah maulugas intensity i think would be a great fit in ryans system, and he would be a great compliment to david harris
I like rey rey, but i just don't think he compliments harris very well. He has seemed very stiff and pretty poor in coverage and that is one of the things our linebackers were lacking. We desperately need a linebacker who can cover better on the crossing routes.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
True, I meant to say that and it just slipped my mind. The players we looked at didn't entirely indicate the positions we were looking at, but did to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
I like rey rey, but i just don't think he compliments harris very well. He has seemed very stiff and pretty poor in coverage and that is one of the things our linebackers were lacking. We desperately need a linebacker who can cover better on the crossing routes.
I don't think he compliments Harris all that well but I think in this attacking defense we could definitely get away with having those two in the middle. That said there's talk of him going #6 so I really doubt we're going to have a shot at him anyway.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quick little dream mock

1.Maualaga
2.Rashad Johnson
3.Derrick Williams
4.Andre Brown

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:39 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Quick little dream mock

1.Maualaga
2.Rashad Johnson
3.Derrick Williams
4.Andre Brown
man if that happened or somthing even close 2 dat I would go nuts. But hey u never know we could have a draft similar 2 dat.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Quick little dream mock

1.Maualaga
2.Rashad Johnson
3.Derrick Williams
4.Andre Brown
thatd be pretty awesome, i highly doubt wiliams falls to the 3rd but if he did thatd be great...mauluaga and johnson i dont think will fall to our pick in those rounds either but they defintely could...i would defintely lik ethat though fills our biggest needs IMO
Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
i wouldnt mind williams in the 2nd and if hes in the 3rd i would definitely be for that...english would fit very well as OLB in our 3-4 i think, and i really see a good chance that we got for him in the mid rounds if we do let bryan thomas go...harris, coudl see uslooking at him to team up with harris at ILB since hes got coverage instincts but idk how i would feel about hat, i guess depends when we would take him, if its late im all for it
Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
i wouldnt mind williams in the 2nd and if hes in the 3rd i would definitely be for that...english would fit very well as OLB in our 3-4 i think, and i really see a good chance that we got for him in the mid rounds if we do let bryan thomas go...harris, coudl see uslooking at him to team up with harris at ILB since hes got coverage instincts but idk how i would feel about hat, i guess depends when we would take him, if its late im all for it
English I think is a top two round guy and unless we're ready to proclaim Gholston a bust and cut Thomas on top of that he probably isn't a starter behind Thomas and/or Gholston and Pace as well. Harris just seems light to me for an ILB in the 3-4, his coverage instincts are nice but I'm not sold he's going to be able to shed and make plays converting from safety to 3-4 ILB. Look at the struggles Vilma had in the scheme and I'd imagine Harris will have even more trouble with the same kind of stuff.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
English I think is a top two round guy and unless we're ready to proclaim Gholston a bust and cut Thomas on top of that he probably isn't a starter behind Thomas and/or Gholston and Pace as well. Harris just seems light to me for an ILB in the 3-4, his coverage instincts are nice but I'm not sold he's going to be able to shed and make plays converting from safety to 3-4 ILB. Look at the struggles Vilma had in the scheme and I'd imagine Harris will have even more trouble with the same kind of stuff.
about harris, yeah theres a very good chance he doesnt pan out, but if we put him into positions to be more of a coverage LB and let the others blitz and play up on the line more, i think he could have some impact, probably more as a rotational guy though
Old 01-22-2009, 11:01 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
about harris, yeah theres a very good chance he doesnt pan out, but if we put him into positions to be more of a coverage LB and let the others blitz and play up on the line more, i think he could have some impact, probably more as a rotational guy though
Right I get where you're saying, I just think he has more value in a 4-3 than a 3-4 so we may have to draft him in say the 3rd round or so to get him ahead of 4-3 teams, but his value wouldn't quite be there for us.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:06 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I would be very sad if Derrick Williams was on our team.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I would be very sad if Derrick Williams was on our team.
He'll be taken before he's worth it IMO so hopefully we're not the team to pull the trigger there.

Kiper's got us taking Harvin at 17 in his mock, what would you guys think of that if it actually happened?

Also, how would you feel about potentially trading down (Bears have some pretty well-defined needs so it wouldn't be surprising to see a team jump ahead of them is say...an OL slipped) and grabbing a guy like Delmas?

Finally, thoughts on Laurinaitis inside a 3-4?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
He'll be taken before he's worth it IMO so hopefully we're not the team to pull the trigger there.

Kiper's got us taking Harvin at 17 in his mock, what would you guys think of that if it actually happened?

Also, how would you feel about potentially trading down (Bears have some pretty well-defined needs so it wouldn't be surprising to see a team jump ahead of them is say...an OL slipped) and grabbing a guy like Delmas?

Finally, thoughts on Laurinaitis inside a 3-4?
I would be very dissapointed with drafting Harvin mostly because of his injury problems. Trading down is not a terrible idea but i think there will b a player we can really use at 17 so i think we just stay there. and I think Laurinatis can work in the 3-4 and would not mind drafting him
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
I would be very dissapointed with drafting Harvin mostly because of his injury problems. Trading down is not a terrible idea but i think there will b a player we can really use at 17 so i think we just stay there. and I think Laurinatis can work in the 3-4 and would not mind drafting him
I would not be incredibly opposed to Laurinaitis. He may be a better fit for the 4-3, but with his intelligence and speed, he could be a good fit next to Harris if he has good coverage skills. I actually don't know how his coverage skills are, if someone could tell me that would be great because all year I've noticed how many times Harris got beaten in coverage.

Also, based on his stock I'm not sure it would be good value to take him at 17.

Last edited by josh07039 : 01-23-2009 at 11:17 PM.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:26 AM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

yeah 17 might be too high for him right now but i wouldnt be opposed to taking him, especially if we traded down a bit
Old 01-24-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't really seen enough of Laurinitis to form a real opinion on him, but i would love the idea of taking Delmas

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe we're going to move around on draft day early. If you look at our big needs right now (S, ILB, WR, to an extent CB, DE, NT, and QB fits in somewhere as well) we could have a hard time finding a good value at 17. Maualuga, Crabtree, Maclin, Malcolm Jenkins, Raji, Stafford, and Sanchez could all very realistically be gone at 17 and odds are we're only going to be focused on a couple of guys. If they are guys like Rashad Johnson, Delmas, maybe Sintim or Laurinaitis, Nicks, Heyward-Bey, any of the tier 2 corners, Tyson Jackson, and Freeman are in all likelihood reaches at 17. So unless one of the first few guys mentioned slips and we get lucky we'll probably have to trade down (and could be in a position to ahead of the Bears if somebody wants to grab an OL or something), and if one of those first few is "our guy" we'll probably have to move up to secure him. For whatever reason I just can't see us sticking at our spot this year.