Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we happen to be going the deep threat WR route, I'd be very interested in Mike Wallace in the 2nd.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
If we happen to be going the deep threat WR route, I'd be very interested in Mike Wallace in the 2nd.
Wow, do you really see him going that early? I was thinking maybe third, but I really like the guy also.

Anybody think it's possible Crabs goes freefall if he runs a bad time with his inability to practice for 8 weeks after the surgery on top of it? As much as I'd love somebody to stretch the field if he's on the board at 17 I see no reason we wouldn't jump on it.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Wow, do you really see him going that early? I was thinking maybe third, but I really like the guy also.

Anybody think it's possible Crabs goes freefall if he runs a bad time with his inability to practice for 8 weeks after the surgery on top of it? As much as I'd love somebody to stretch the field if he's on the board at 17 I see no reason we wouldn't jump on it.
I don't know. With his combine numbers and on-field production nearly identical to Darrius Heyward-Bey's, I find it hard to believe that he'll make it to the second day, especially considering all the teams that have WR needs.

As for Crabtree... well, I don't know. I'd definitely want him, but I just don't know where we'd really trade up. If for some crazy reason he gets beyond JAX, the Pack have gone on record that they're pretty much going to stand pat, the 49ers have bigger WR concerns than us, I doubt the Bills would trade with us, and I'm sure the Broncos want to stay at least where they are to bring in a stud for that defense. I don't know. I'd love to see it happen, but I won't get my hopes up.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know. With his combine numbers and on-field production nearly identical to Darrius Heyward-Bey's, I find it hard to believe that he'll make it to the second day, especially considering all the teams that have WR needs.

As for Crabtree... well, I don't know. I'd definitely want him, but I just don't know where we'd really trade up. If for some crazy reason he gets beyond JAX, the Pack have gone on record that they're pretty much going to stand pat, the 49ers have bigger WR concerns than us, I doubt the Bills would trade with us, and I'm sure the Broncos want to stay at least where they are to bring in a stud for that defense. I don't know. I'd love to see it happen, but I won't get my hopes up.
Makes sense. On a similar note to Crabtree, Maclin ran what, an official 4.45? I wouldn't mind seeing him get taken behind some other guys and slip some. Wonder if this cools off the talk of him going #7 some.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Makes sense. On a similar note to Crabtree, Maclin ran what, an official 4.45? I wouldn't mind seeing him get taken behind some other guys and slip some. Wonder if this cools off the talk of him going #7 some.
i would definitely love to get maclin if he falls to us at 17. he's such an explosive player, i wouldn't put too much stock into that 40 time. his football speed is incredible. he's just what this offense needs in my opinion.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not sure Maclin ran an official 40 time because he got hurt. I can't find it anywhere if he did. His unofficial was 4.37.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I'm not sure Maclin ran an official 40 time because he got hurt. I can't find it anywhere if he did. His unofficial was 4.37.
Interesting. I saw somebody on here say official 4.45 which would explain why he isn't on that top 10 list. Regardless I'd love to have him in the mix, the 40 wouldn't scare me off at all but I hope it scares off some teams.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Yea Maclin did run the 40 and did the vertical jump after he got hurt and came back. He had a 35inch vert and I think it was either a 4.43 or 4.45 40

Last edited by GET LOOSE : 02-23-2009 at 01:24 AM.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:28 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...ne_wednesd ay

Hakeem Nicks says: "BIG hands equals BIG catches in BIG games!"
Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...ne_wednesd ay

Hakeem Nicks says: "BIG hands equals BIG catches in BIG games!"
He's a stud. Maybe he fits us better than I give him credit for...I just see a slightly faster slightly stronger Cotchery when I watch him. Perhaps Anquan Boldin-esque? Wouldn't be unhappy with drafting him because I think he's going to be a legit player, just not sure it's a stellar fit. Maybe that's a direction we elect to go in if we view Clowney as enough of a field stretcher...
Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
He's a stud. Maybe he fits us better than I give him credit for...I just see a slightly faster slightly stronger Cotchery when I watch him. Perhaps Anquan Boldin-esque? Wouldn't be unhappy with drafting him because I think he's going to be a legit player, just not sure it's a stellar fit. Maybe that's a direction we elect to go in if we view Clowney as enough of a field stretcher...
That's been my view on him for a while. I like him a lot and think he'll be a good fit on a team, but I just don't think he compliments our receivers well. He reminds me of Cotch a lot and I really don't see the Boldin Comparisons all that much.

I know a lot of people have given him the Boldin comparison, but I feel that every receiver with good hands, who isn't too fast and is physical is given that label. I like nicks, but i just don't see him inflict the punishment that Q does, when the ball is in his hands. He still seems like a receiver after he catches it when Q turns into a running back.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if we went Tyson Jackson in the first. He is the perfect 5 technique and it shores up our DE positions and gives Rex a lot of flexibility. I just can't wait till FA starts so we know what's up.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
That's been my view on him for a while. I like him a lot and think he'll be a good fit on a team, but I just don't think he compliments our receivers well. He reminds me of Cotch a lot and I really don't see the Boldin Comparisons all that much.

I know a lot of people have given him the Boldin comparison, but I feel that every receiver with good hands, who isn't too fast and is physical is given that label. I like nicks, but i just don't see him inflict the punishment that Q does, when the ball is in his hands. He still seems like a receiver after he catches it when Q turns into a running back.
The Boldin comparisons comes from his status as the premiere "possession" receiver in the NFL so any perceived possession receiver will be compared to him. I think Nicks is a quality receiver prospect and I think he could be a 90 catch 1100 yard guy. But as you said, he reminds you of Jerricho Cotchery, and the Jets already have Jerricho Cotchery, why do they need another?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Only reason I really bring up Boldin is because Nicks is strong as hell and won't do a ton for you deep but is very, very good after the catch. He's bullied his way into the endzone on more than one occasion, partially due to being tough but he's also really strong. Boldin's the first guy who comes to mind when I think of a wideout like that, I guess there's TO as well but not many YAC guys in the league are the strong bully type and Nicks fits into that mold in my eyes. Still hope Maclin slips.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really want Nicks. I agree with everyone who compares him to Cotchery. I don't see him close to being on the level with Boldin.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I don't know. To me, I feel like there's a reason why Nicks has gotten more hype than Cotchery, especially considering Cotchery played with Rivers and got plenty of media attention. I think the hands separate them mostly, but Nicks's short-area quickness really stands out. I liken him most to Michael Irvin, at least in terms of play. Obviously I don't believe he'll be a HOFer.

But I don't know. There are just certain receivers I'd rather not draft, though my extremely high confidence in Ryan is making me feel as though we can draft anyone and it'd work.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:09 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

One thing to keep in mind is that Cotchery's draft was ridiculously stacked with WR talent. Point taken, though. Nicks certainly has gotten a lot more pub than him regardless.

Rotoworld says the Dolphins are interested in Nicks. He makes sense as a YAC guy with Pennington at QB and somebody to play across from Ginn. I'd be really disappointed if he fell that far and they actually took him.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

I think you can't compare him to Boldin yet because your talking about a top 10 receiver in Boldin and Hakeem Nicks hasn't played in the NFL yet. Though of all the receivers in the draft, I think he is the most NFL ready. Its kinda like last year between Chris Long and Vernon Gholston. While last year Chris Long was the most NFL ready, Gholston had a bigger boom/bust potential. Im not saying there is another receiver to add to that list but I think Hakeem Nicks is the most NFL ready. If we are able to trade down, I'd do it to get him. But if Maclin is on the board, I wouldn't think twice and draft Maclin in a heart beat.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:04 PM    (permalink
roscoesdad27
Veteran

roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roscoesdad27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 3 round mock

1) M. Sanchez q.b. usc
franchise type qb. picked in a similiar spot to flaccoo last year and will likewise be partnered with a first time head coach...great accuracy, arm strength and overall athleticism...will push for the starting spot day 1.

2) D. Butler w.r. penn state
extremely fast w.r. with great hands would compliment your other players and be a dynamic slot/#2 guy...sleeper.

3) K. Mitchell d.e./d.t. e. carolina
huge d.t. with a great frame could project to be the hybrid d.t./3-4 d.e. that rex uses in his defense ala holoti ngata...fills a need at 3-4 d.e. at great value here and can play backup n.t. as well....sleeper

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...=1#post1533596

thoughts?
roscoesdad27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 AM    (permalink
TT Gator
Rookie

TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.

I think WR is a lock for the first round. With the loss of Coles, a young unproven signal caller at the helm, and all the great defencive players we picked up in free agency it's the only sane pick. While Cotchery proved he can be a big part of the offence the last couple years beyond him theres not much depth. Stucky and Smith are decent in 3-4 WR spreads but if we go with one of them as are #2 and an inexperianced QB throwing to them are offence is going to struggle. IMO it will(and should) be Harvin or DHB two guys with tons of potential/speed they'll catch short inside passes in slot, be able to get seperation on deep patterns and burn everybody on the defence. Because of everything thats happened getting Maclin is not impossible any more and remember how far receivers slipped last year though i'm sure he'll probably be gone theres a chance. If not we'll get Harvin, his experiance playing in one of the toughest divisions in college, being able to contribute receiving, rushing and returning, playing in alot of big games including two championship games, and being able to break a big play anytime he gets the ball will give him the advantage. Also he seems like he'd fit well in the Jets offence and has the elite speed we desperatly need at receiver. It may be because he's cut in Coles' mold but I think he's exactly the type of WR we need playing beside Cotchery. I know some worry about injuries but his durability has been blown way out of proportion.(he only missed 3 games in college and has played through injuries before) If we picked DHB I wouldn't be upset I think he has tons of talent and will be a good receiver for along time but I think because he was underused (and played weaker talent) he'll need to develop a year or two before reaching his potential. Where as Harvin played in tons of big games againest top talent and was 1 of the 2 main threats on Florida's offence. I believe he can come out his rookie year and start putting up big numbers(just my opinion). Nicks, Britt, and Robeskie are all talented but it would be way too early for any of them and they are all too similar to Cotchery. If for some reason we go somewhere else 1st round we should def pick one of them in the 2nd if any are still around. Nice call on Leonhard Get Loose, with him playing beside Rhodes, Sheppard with Revis, and Scott leading the defence with Harris the Jets D is going to kill offences next year.

Last edited by TT Gator : 03-17-2009 at 01:15 AM.
TT Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.
Default Jarron Gilbert high on the Jets' wish list???

Huge fan of Gilbert; he could definitely thrive in Rex's system. I bet Rex feels the same way, considering he was actually on the field running the drills at Gilbert's proday.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=529

UPDATE 3:30PM EST

Twenty six teams were on hand at San Jose State as they started the workout bright and early on a cold and breezy morning.

The star of the day, Jarron Gilbert, delivered as expected.

Gilbert measured 6051/284-pounds, four less than his combine weight. His jumps were fantastic as Gilbert posted a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot 7-inch broad. His forty's averaged 4.76 seconds, significantly faster than his performance at the combine. Gilbert's 10yd split was 1.67-seconds and his 20yd-split was 2.75 seconds. He ran into a slight breeze. Later Gilbert ran in the low 4.4's in the short shuttle and posted a 3-cone time of 7.57 seconds.

The almost three dozen scouts on hand watched as New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan put Gilbert through a series if defensive line drills. Even as the defensive backs started their workout the scouts paid little attention, watching every detail of Gilbert's session work. By all accounts it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:07 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
Huge fan of Gilbert; he could definitely thrive in Rex's system. I bet Rex feels the same way, considering he was actually on the field running the drills at Gilbert's proday.

http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=529

UPDATE 3:30PM EST

Twenty six teams were on hand at San Jose State as they started the workout bright and early on a cold and breezy morning.

The star of the day, Jarron Gilbert, delivered as expected.

Gilbert measured 6051/284-pounds, four less than his combine weight. His jumps were fantastic as Gilbert posted a 37-inch vertical jump and 10-foot 7-inch broad. His forty's averaged 4.76 seconds, significantly faster than his performance at the combine. Gilbert's 10yd split was 1.67-seconds and his 20yd-split was 2.75 seconds. He ran into a slight breeze. Later Gilbert ran in the low 4.4's in the short shuttle and posted a 3-cone time of 7.57 seconds.

The almost three dozen scouts on hand watched as New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan put Gilbert through a series if defensive line drills. Even as the defensive backs started their workout the scouts paid little attention, watching every detail of Gilbert's session work. By all accounts it was a terrific performance and Gilbert is very much knocking on the door of round one.
I could totally handle trading up into the late first/early second to draft him, preferably after drafting a WR at 17. It'd definitely be a Tannenbaum move, and would be a fantastic day 1 (depending on the WR).
Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I wonder how often the team that runs the drills for a player actually end up drafting him. I'd definitely like to see us do it though.

And now with this TJ contract dispute and the fact that we haven't re-signed Leon yet for some reason, I think it's a very real possibility that we go RB First Day.

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 03-21-2009 at 06:09 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I wonder how often the team that runs the drills for a player actually end up drafting him. I'd definitely like to see us do it though.

And now with this TJ contract dispute and the fact that we haven't re-signed Leon yet for some reason, I think it's a very real possibility that we go RB First Day.
RB as in Chris Wells (sleeper in the first), Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings type or just best RB available leaving a Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy type open?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
RB as in Chris Wells (sleeper in the first), Andre Brown, Rashad Jennings type or just best RB available leaving a Donald Brown, LeSean McCoy type open?
The former, but I'd add in Moreno. I just think his attitude and the fact that he's from Jersey will appeal to Rex.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:32 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
The former, but I'd add in Moreno. I just think his attitude and the fact that he's from Jersey will appeal to Rex.
Interesting. I kind of hope not to be honest, but I'll have to trust it if it happens I guess.

I'm still very curious about the TE position right now. Probably the most blatant lack of depth we have anywhere on the team, and given we haven't really signed anybody I wonder if we've got a few guys in the draft we like. Wouldn't be shocked if we found a guy we liked and reached for him in the third, fourth, or fifth round just to make sure we get him. That is, if we don't sign anybody between now and the draft.