Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Remaining Needs

In your opinion, what are the Cowboys remaining needs in order of importance?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. True NT - I love Tank's versatility, but I don't want him playing our nose in base packages, I like him in there on Nickel packages...Ratliff is serviceable, but we don't have that force in the middle, and I thought having that guy would enable us to have Burnett play more base snaps, which is a package i wanted to see...Like I said, looking at the draft, I would of been ok with trading a 3rd and 5th for Rogers or Jenkins to be that guy, I thought Wade would of been pushing for this this off-season but I was wrong...We are ok at tackle, and have some talent, but Rubin, Okam, Bryant were all guys we should of added late IMHO, I would of rather we did that instead of Choice and just let Lattimore have the 3rd Rb role...How much did Tyson Thompson actually get to play with us?

2. Safety - It's not as pressing because we have cover corners, but there was great value late in the draft and with some UDFA and I don't think we addressed this properly...Morgan was a guy I really wanted, Although Watkins is young I wanted another body back there, at either position...Safety is still a weakness to me.

3. Offensive Line Depth - Feel we need another Guard, and I can't speak on the depth we have now and how the staff feels about them, but I would of loved Nicks or Hills late to give a shot at LT, Collins also, neither guy would be asked to start and we could see what we had so we would know if we needed to spend a high pick on a guy...We are set with the guys we have, but there were potential steals late that could of payed off big, we dont have a sure-fire futre at the position so we could of addressed it.

4. WR - We have guys who can step up now, but we need another #1 WR at some point, our depth is fine, we have slot wr's and #2's, but thru trade, or FA, we need to address it...Doesn't worry me too much because Jerry will grab a WR during the off-season when he needs one, but if TO goes down I'm not sure if we are clicking the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with all those. I think the OL & WR are a bit cloudy. What I mean is, if Free & Marten become players, I think our depth is very good. As for WR, if Stainback becomes what some think he might, our WR depth is improved pretty significantly. If he's not what we hope he is, there is no question we have to address WR next year at the latest. And even if Stainback becomes a stud, we probably need another quality WR.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
1. True NT - I love Tank's versatility, but I don't want him playing our nose in base packages, I like him in there on Nickel packages...Ratliff is serviceable, but we don't have that force in the middle, and I thought having that guy would enable us to have Burnett play more base snaps, which is a package i wanted to see...Like I said, looking at the draft, I would of been ok with trading a 3rd and 5th for Rogers or Jenkins to be that guy, I thought Wade would of been pushing for this this off-season but I was wrong...We are ok at tackle, and have some talent, but Rubin, Okam, Bryant were all guys we should of added late IMHO, I would of rather we did that instead of Choice and just let Lattimore have the 3rd Rb role...How much did Tyson Thompson actually get to play with us?

2. Safety - It's not as pressing because we have cover corners, but there was great value late in the draft and with some UDFA and I don't think we addressed this properly...Morgan was a guy I really wanted, Although Watkins is young I wanted another body back there, at either position...Safety is still a weakness to me.

3. Offensive Line Depth - Feel we need another Guard, and I can't speak on the depth we have now and how the staff feels about them, but I would of loved Nicks or Hills late to give a shot at LT, Collins also, neither guy would be asked to start and we could see what we had so we would know if we needed to spend a high pick on a guy...We are set with the guys we have, but there were potential steals late that could of payed off big, we dont have a sure-fire futre at the position so we could of addressed it.

4. WR - We have guys who can step up now, but we need another #1 WR at some point, our depth is fine, we have slot wr's and #2's, but thru trade, or FA, we need to address it...Doesn't worry me too much because Jerry will grab a WR during the off-season when he needs one, but if TO goes down I'm not sure if we are clicking the same.
Agreed with all of those, especially NT which is the biggest need for me. There has been a strong contingent here since the last draft who've wanted a NT. I mean passing on guys like Tank Tyler, Soliai, Rubin, Okam, Red and others really has frsustrate me. Given none of these guys have made there mark yet, it still would be nice to actually address the position for once.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
In your opinion, what are the Cowboys remaining needs in order of importance?

WR - I am assuming TG doesn't play this year, and unless Felix Jones is utilized like Brian Westbrook, the offense is going to be very predictable. I am not high on Hurd or Austin or Crayton. Stanback may nor may not have a big bag of nothin' but I don't know yet.

S - Watkins doesn't appear to be the answer and I haven't seen anything out of Brown to show that he is either.

Other than that I'm fine with the team. Injuries could derail any position of course, but that is the fact with any team in the NFL.

OL and DL are fine to me because any player we drafted after the 3rd round isn't making the team without significant ST contributions and OL and DL do not make those.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Or Moyal

The fact that they passed on Okam, Bryant, Rubin, etc. leads me to believe that management is content with Tank and Rat at DE.
Pity. I was looking forward to playing Rat at DE, relegating Spears to a backup role, and watching the magic unfold with two true DTs. (Not to take anything away from Rat)
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

bobindallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

NT -- biggest by far. Can't add much here.

ILB -- Not a fan of Zach and old/injured, Burnett is always injured, Carp is auditioning for the Village People this season. Bradie is ok.

WR -- one of the kids needs to step up and take away snaps from Glenn and maybe even TO. Otherwise, again we are really old and injured.

R Williams -- no confidence that a "burning reason" exists in the mind of Jones and Bob's Big Boy to put R Williams next to the mascot's dog food in the corner of locker. If we had signed someone or drafted then we know ....... but Jones hates giving up on big name Vets regardless of how bad they are

Kosier -- ack, does not fit our power blocking schemes in a Zampese scheme. With Sparano gone I think this becomes more evident as Garrett tries to roll out the Zampese running scheme and the use of the RB in that system.
bobindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as the future goes, I would say NT,WR,OL.

I, however, think RIGHT NOW we are readyto go. I would say we are as complete as anyone in the league, and I would rather get the season on right now.

Always room for improvement, but we are pretty darn solid right now. If an injury pops up, that is one thing. But I think we are a superbowl favorite.

And if injuries are what we are afraid of, I would say quarterback is my biggest concern. I have no confidence in Brad Johnson, and would love to have a young guy back there.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 04-30-2008 at 02:40 PM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Right now, just for the upcoming season in 08, I would rank our biggest needs the following:

1. FB

Call me funny, but for a team that is talking big about re-integrating the FB in the run game, does it make sense to trade away its best H-back type, cut its best blocker and ignore the position on draft day? Doesn't to me. Anderson was a nice player last year, especially for a rookie, but he didn't show anywhere near elite blocking skills, and I see no one on the roster--as presently constructed--that can come in and take on LBs in the hole for 40 plays a game.

2. CB

I still am not completely at ease with our situation. Rookies almost never make big contributions at this position, and PacMan is not reliable. Henry is injury prone and a little bit up-and-down. This position could come together quickly, and I wouldn't be surprised if its a huge team strength by mid season. But......still, what do we have that we can really count on? Call me nervous today, but by the end of TC I'll have a much better idea of what to expect.

3. Safety

I'm starting to give up on Roy. I've tried to maintain patience, but he's about run me out of it. He really wasn't that bad in coverage last year, though people will always make up reasons to discount that. No, the really troubling thing is that he didn't come up and make big plays like in years past. I can live with a few deep balls as long as the guy is busting peoples ribs and jarring the ball out, being disruptive in general. Now that he isn't doing that, it might be better to let someone else man the helm.

This is quite different from the future, though, which I think are fairly obvious. WR and NT are the biggest ones. LT might be up there as well.

The biggest worry I have is that you are always two years behind in evaluating the WR position. Anything we do now for it will not come to fruition until 2010. So.....if we wait to address it with a top notch prospect, and then TO goes off the deep this year, we'll be mired in mediocrity for 2 years at least....unless one of our long-shot youngsters steps up and becomes a star. This is why I feel we should have found a top notch guy last year. I liked Bowe, though I won't claim to have foreseen his great rookie production. I liked Meachem just as much, and he was a massive bust last year.

If there is a way, I would love to get Roy Williams, 85 or someone of that ilk via trade. The last thing we want to do is get caught in a position where we have a franchise QB in his prime with no great recievers to throw to......meh, I think I just threw up in my mouth.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would DB make you nervous about the Cb position, we actually couldn't of done a better job, what differently could we have done?

We let go all our terrible corners and bring back two starters, we add Pacman fora 4th who might miss half the season, but his impact when he is on cannot be ignored, we still addressed corner in the 1st rd, who most considered the most ready db in the draft to come right in and play, probably could of been the #1 corner for alot of teams, he is our corner in nickel and dime packages...We also picked up Scandrick late in the draft who was expected to go 2nd/3rd rd and has 4.3 speed.

Counting Pacman that leaves us 5 great cover corner guys, I don't know many other teams that can say they are 5 deep at corner...Of course two guys are rookies, but thats the only choice we had, I'll take Scandrick and Jenkins vs overpaying Florence any day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:35 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to agree with LL. Not much more we could do. I think Newman, Henry and Jenkins match up pretty well with any teams top three. Throw packman in there, and I would venture to say no other team comes close...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quick one here...

1. NT- The Tank experiment is boom or bust
2. Safety- RW is done, and that's that.
3. WR- We need a future guy.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubach12 View Post
Quick one here...

1. NT- The Tank experiment is boom or bust
2. Safety- RW is done, and that's that.
3. WR- We need a future guy.
I had those same needs, and thought we would address them on the second day. Every time the Cowboys were on the clock and actually picked in the second day, i was waiting for them to call Moore, Bryant or Rubin. I can't believe that even so late they didn't take them, so i'm guessing they have a different idea than we do as far as NT depth.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:52 AM    (permalink
amerker
Rookie

amerker hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

After this draft the cowboys should go after wr and ol, dl
amerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:58 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Why would DB make you nervous about the Cb position, we actually couldn't of done a better job, what differently could we have done?

We let go all our terrible corners and bring back two starters, we add Pacman fora 4th who might miss half the season, but his impact when he is on cannot be ignored, we still addressed corner in the 1st rd, who most considered the most ready db in the draft to come right in and play, probably could of been the #1 corner for alot of teams, he is our corner in nickel and dime packages...We also picked up Scandrick late in the draft who was expected to go 2nd/3rd rd and has 4.3 speed.

Counting Pacman that leaves us 5 great cover corner guys, I don't know many other teams that can say they are 5 deep at corner...Of course two guys are rookies, but thats the only choice we had, I'll take Scandrick and Jenkins vs overpaying Florence any day of the week.

I'm not necessarily saying that we could/should have done something different, just that it appears to me that CB is one of the biggest needs on the team. Newman is a stud, but Henry hasn't stayed healthy all season since he's been here, and we have literally nothing in the way of a proven commodity after those two. Pacman may not play at all. Jenkins is a physically talented guy, but still ultimately a rookie, and Scandrick is what he is--a 5th round draft pick--until proven otherwise.

Don't get me wrong....on most other teams, this CB situation would rank as a strength. And my ranking here is just as much of an indication of the quality of our roster as an indictment of the CB position on our team.

But still....things could go south on us reeeeaaaallllll quick, a la 2004, if you remember correctly. I think Henry might be nearing the end of his career, and if the blows out a knee or hurts himself seriously, we have nothing close to a dependable option after him. That's all I'm saying.

As for what we could've done about it....beyond signing a quality veteran, there's not much more we could've done. Not really complaining...but when you're the fan of a 13-3 team which just had 2 1st round picks in the subsequent draft, along with the most Pro Bowl selections in the history of the league...you have to find something to complain about, right? :D
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 AM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have no other needs, were going to the Super Bowl!:D :D

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say we need to get rid of Anthony Henry. His 88 speed kills me
online in Madden. :D

Joke btw.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:20 AM    (permalink
reigle9
Veteran

reigle9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
We have no other needs, were going to the Super Bowl!:D :D
Well obviously our first team is. I thought this thread was for who our 2nd team needs to win NFC South.
reigle9 is offline   Reply With Quote