Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM    (permalink
HTown NFL fan

Default Why Duane Brown was a great draft pick

Duane Brown was a great example of where team need, system, and situation coincided to make what seems like a horrendous reach to be a terrific pick. Here's why:

1. The Texans have a ZBS scheme. Read the scouting report that the venerable Scott Wright wrote on D. Brown for an example of why draft gurus knew before the draft started. That the dude had potential but needed to be in a ZBS scheme to maximize his potential.

2. Alex Gibbs is the founding father of the ZBS scheme and is the new O-Line coach for the Texans this year. Read this verbiage below taken from the Houston Texans website to find out what Alex Gibbs thought of D. Brown going into the draft.

3. Sorry but I'm going to trust Alex Gibbs judgment on D. Brown's value as a ZBS Left Tackle in the NFL over my judgment, Mel Kiper's judgment, people on this board, and anybody else for that matter.

4. Bottom-line, the Texans wanted to move down in the 1st round and still be very confident of getting their man. They moved down to 26th and picked up a 3d & 6th round pick in the process. Trading down and still getting your man. Can't ask for more than that.

Of course, you can tell by my ID that I'm biased (I am a Texans fan) And I'm not going to claim that the Texans had the best draft. I like many others think the Chiefs had the best draft. They started out with the best picks, then got lucky and then executed by filling team needs with incredible value.

But under the circumstances, I would put the Texans in the top 10 best drafts this year. I think they got three starters in D. Brown, Molden, and Adibi. And two of those three starters are where the greatest needs were (i.e. CB and OT) Plus got a potential late round gem in Okam. Although the track record of lazy guys in college is that they are generally lazy in the NFL. So this Longhorn alum thinks that Okam will be an NFL dud. But it's the 5th round so I'm okay with the pick.

That's all. I rarely post but often read. I think the people on this draft board are generally the most intelligent NFL Draft Forum on the net.

Cheers

“We have really been in love with this kid (Brown) for a long time. He fits what we want to do.” - Gary KubiakThe Texans had been targeting Boise State's Ryan Clady, Vanderbilt's Chris Williams, Virginia's Branden Albert and Brown. The first three were off the board by the team’s 18th pick.

Smith then took a gamble and traded back with Baltimore, getting the Ravens’ 26th spot and their third- and sixth-round picks. The gamble paid off, as Houston acquired the extra picks and still was able to select Brown near the end of the first round.

“There were some very good offensive linemen in this draft, obviously, as you saw them go throughout the first round,” head coach Gary Kubiak said. “We have really been in love with this kid (Brown) for a long time. He fits what we want to do.”

Brown comes to the Texans with only one year of experience at left tackle, but he brings a tremendous upside with his athleticism. Brown played tight end, like right tackle Eric Winston, and right tackle before moving to left tackle last season.

“We love his athletic ability,” Kubiak said of Brown. “You know, you watch this guy work out at Indianapolis, the type of feet that he has, and to sit there and to see Alex (Gibbs) talk about a player like he talked about this kid over the course of the last six weeks and for us to find a way to get him at 26, job well done.”

Brown was the fastest player at his position at the combine, running the 40-yard dash in 5.08 seconds. Gibbs’ blocking scheme requires offensive linemen with the quickness and athleticism to run-block and cut-block.

Brown used a similar zone scheme in his four years as a Hokie and looks forward to working with Gibbs when the Texans begin their mini-camps in May.

The Texans hope that Brown will be a long-term solution to the franchise’s woes at left tackle. Brown hopes to earn a starting job.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you are a texans fan.

The Texans hope that Brown will be a long-term solution to the franchise’s woes at left tackle. Brown hopes to earn a starting job.

Hope is a good thing maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies.

That is also true with homerism.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow . . . biggest all text sig ever?

Duane Brown wasn't a tremendous reach. He was likely the next best OT left and Scott even had him going in round 1.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lot's of things with that pick, and nice sig.
Dallas was smart and aggressive when they traded up for Mike Jenkins at 25. He was a good value at that spot.
No one anticipated that Atlanta would trade up for (and reach for IMO) Sam Baker.
This was plan C for Houston, but it can work out because Brown is a good fit for that scheme. Just as long as he gets his technique down and becomes more consistent, he will be the solution.
MidwayMonster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didnt see it as a reach. I saw it as a pretty good pick. Granted, I wish they wouldve taken Mendenhall when they had the chance, but whatever. In the spot that they were at, and with all the tackles being drafted (Baker would be been amazing for you guys if we didnt trade up for him) it was no surprise to see you guys get the athletic ZBS fitting Duane Brown.

He is still very raw, but he is athletic enough to play in the ZBS and protect Schaub's blindside. I would say with the situation at hand, it was a very good pick actually.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Jonny
Veteran

Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.Jonny is a cocksman.

They picked Charles Spencer a few years ago and he was a bust. Spencer was a bad player in college drafted for his measurables, as was Brown. Bad pick.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:58 PM    (permalink
fischbowl
All-NFLDC

fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fischbowl is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw it as a good pick. Granted they got screwed out of drafting a RB

<+fenikz> "**** the Police, ride my fischstache bitches"
fischbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, i'm a fan of the Duane Brown pick. Drafting is also about tactical decisions, and I think they made the right one there. Simply put, they needed a tackle. For all the love on this tackle class, everyone knew that it was top loaded. They lacked a 2nd round pick. The tackle options in the 3rd simply put, were not anywhere near Duane Brown's level, whereas the DB options in the 3rd were close to what was available in the first in value (and in Molden, they got a guy who arguably has a higher upside than many of the CB's ahead of him, and may also be more ready than several CB's ahead. Furthermore, if Dunta comes back fine, they suddenly have a stud FS option in Molden, another area of concern).

If they had a 2nd round pick, maybe I would be a bit more negative towards this move. That said, he was their 4th LT on their board (well, 5th, but Jake was already signed). But they lacked a 2nd, and thus made the right tactical decision.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Wow . . . biggest all text sig ever?
He doesn't even have a sig...
Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
you are a texans fan.

Hope is a good thing maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies.

That is also true with homerism.
fabulous quote red

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 PM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

cordscords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The pick was fine with me. Brown was one of my favorite prospects in the draft.
cordscords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

the Texans had a very good draft...I liked all of their picks....
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like the Texans draft. They got a LT that did have decent value... Brown would have been the next lineman off the board for sure, and at worst taken very early 2nd. Molden, Adibi, and Slaton all fit as well. They got quite a bit of value for their picks and may have found themselves several starters.
Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think Molden will start immediately, but he could be a starter in a year or two.

I dont think it was a bad pick looking back, at the time i didnt think the value was right, but fitting into the scheme really takes some of the lost value back.

I agree that its not as bad as some people think, but its not as good as you think. Yes he may be a great fit for a ZBS, but no he may not be that answer to the LT position. He has the potential to do so, but potential doesnt play on sundays.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In Alex Gibbs we trust, if he is ok to take you in the first round you know he thinks you can be a special player.... we all remember how angry he was with the George Foster pick a few years back in Denver.
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 PM    (permalink
FrankGore
Rookie

FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FrankGore is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For what it's worth, the Niners were going to take Brown at #29 if the Texans hadn't taken him off the board.
FrankGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:19 PM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
They picked Charles Spencer a few years ago and he was a bust. Spencer was a bad player in college drafted for his measurables, as was Brown. Bad pick.
A bust? So now when your career is derailed by injury you are now a bust?

I never thought he was a bad player. But they should have never tried to put him at left tackle. He seems much better suited for guard.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:53 PM    (permalink
foozball
Veteran

foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.foozball could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
A bust? So now when your career is derailed by injury you are now a bust?

I never thought he was a bad player. But they should have never tried to put him at left tackle. He seems much better suited for guard.
charles spencer was a very good OT for us. anyone who says otherwise hasnt seen him play for us. granted, it was 2 games, but 3rd round picks dont win starting LT jobs if they suck. theres a reason why everyone was hailing him as our LT for the next 10 years.
foozball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:12 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I agree. I thought the Texans had a good draft. The criticism of reaches often merely reflects the self-corroborating nature of pre-draft debate. Nothing wrong with that debate, but it's worth recognising that most teams know what they're looking for and whether they're willing to risk missing out on it.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 AM    (permalink
HTown NFL fan

Texans were never interested in Jenkins, Sam Baker, or Otah. They thought Jenkins could not play the run and Baker/Otah not good fits for ZBS. Like some posters have said, they were in love with Chris W./Brandon A. especially and were hoping for one of them but not expecting them to be there at #18.

Plan A for Texans, as I know it, was to take Clady/C. Williams/B. Albert if available. Plan B was to take DRC/McKelvin if available. Texans were very high on those two at CB. Plan C was to trade down and take D. Brown. Which is what they did when Plans A/B did not work out.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think from a pure value perspective, Brown was definitely a reach. I don't think a lot of people really expected him to go in the 1st round. But once you get too the mid-twenties, the whole BPA becomes even more redundant than it does earlier in the draft. Teams draft according to need and for Houston, Brown was the best tackle left on the board.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
CARDIAC CAT 7
Rookie

CARDIAC CAT 7 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Spencer was actually progressing well and was going to be the left tackle for them for years to come. Then he broke his leg and will probably never play again.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I thought that was a fine spot for Brown and I think he'll do very well in Houston.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:17 PM    (permalink
TheGreatEscape
Veteran

TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.TheGreatEscape is a cocksman.

Quote:
A) You can't say sppencer was a bad pick, he was a third rounder who's career almost ended due to injury.

B) The point of this thread was that Brown was picked because he fit their scheme, not because of measureables. I think it was a very good pick that will pay off for the texans quickly.
TheGreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:25 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The talent in this draft was sort of underwhelming compared to most years, and while it had much better 4th-7th round talent than in 2007, the 2008 draft's first three rounds were not as stocked as any other draft we've had this decade. 2007 and 2009 will overshadow the first round players found in 2008. Thus I think reaching for a LT who will probably be a solid but not superstar player in their system wasn't that bad of an idea late in round one. Steve Slaton and Antwaun Molden were great picks and I think they will be starters sooner rather than later, so the need pick of Duane Brown is kinda forgiven by those next 2 picks.