Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 AM    (permalink
coop

Looking at the "Draft Grade" thread, most don't seem to like the Scandrick pick too much. My question is: WHY THE HELL NOT!?!

He is a 3rd round talent with 2nd round potential and we got him in the 5th round! Great pick. Any grade less than an A seems crazy to me!

I can understand the argument that we had other needs, but it was a 5th round pick and we went BPA, you can't knock that.

It is obvious that IF Pac Man works out, either Newman or Henry are gone next year, or Henry moved to FS. My best guess is that Newman won't get the money he wants and bolt, and Henry will be too far past his prime, or playing FS. If that happens, this 5th round pick that nobody seems to like is all of the sudden our #3 corner, perhaps our return man, AND in line to be #2 should Adam Jones act up, want too much money, or eventually age.

GREAT PICK!

Last edited by coop : 05-01-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it was a very good pick.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 AM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great value pick imo
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe posting some exerts from the negative posts would help us understand where you got these negative thoughts from the pick...because I can't think of anyone here who didn't like the selection.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked the pick. I think he gives the Cowboys a guy who can be a nickle corner on a roster where he's going to struggle to move above #5 on the depth chart.

Terrence Newman
Pac-Man Jones
Mike Jenkins
Anthony Henry

Thats some ridiculous cornerback talent (assuming Pac-Man returns to form).

And moreso, with some exceptions like kicker and punter, I feel the later rounds should involve a complete BPA approach for the simple reason that if you can get anyone of value at any position in rounds 5-7, even one of non need, you're ahead of the game.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with Thule. Where are you getting these "negative" comments from exactly? I haven't seen any in the the grading thread or in the draft thread. I had him in my mock, so I definitely like the pick. But please show us where they are any comments saying they did not like the pick. I mean for godsake even Rob liked the pick.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I liked the pick. I think he gives the Cowboys a guy who can be a nickle corner on a roster where he's going to struggle to move above #5 on the depth chart.

Terrence Newman
Pac-Man Jones
Mike Jenkins
Anthony Henry

Thats some ridiculous cornerback talent (assuming Pac-Man returns to form).

And moreso, with some exceptions like kicker and punter, I feel the later rounds should involve a complete BPA approach for the simple reason that if you can get anyone of value at any position in rounds 5-7, even one of non need, you're ahead of the game.
I also think the guy returned kicks. He and F. Jones back returning kicks, along with Pacman returning punts, we have a pretty explosive return game.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Agree with Thule. Where are you getting these "negative" comments from exactly? I haven't seen any in the the grading thread or in the draft thread. I had him in my mock, so I definitely like the pick. But please show us where they are any comments saying they did not like the pick. I mean for godsake even Rob liked the pick.
The "Grade the draft" thread. Most gave the pick a C or D.

3 people on the first page gave the pick a C or C+.

Last edited by coop : 05-01-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:44 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont think anyone hates the pick per se but, the addition of another corner in general wasnt really needed...but, yes from a value stand point it was a great selection. I havent seen anyone complaining about it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I dont think anyone hates the pick per se but, the addition of another corner in general wasnt really needed...but, yes from a value stand point it was a great selection. I havent seen anyone complaining about it.

i disagree that it wasn't a need.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we can never have too much depth at CB, definetly a need.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:14 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's only going to be a 5th corner at best...Ball or Ogelsby would have been fine in that role...it was just a value pick...and it was a good one, but if he wasnt there, we may have gone w/ an entirely different position.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 05-01-2008, 04:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've seen him look lost trying to defend Hawaii's passing attack, so if anyone, maybe it was my remarks that coop was talking about. The value was fine, his numbers are good, but his play on the field is what caused his fall. Let's not be mistaken here... he's a fast guy, but he's got A LOT to learn about being a corner and his instincts suck. I would've preferred to use the pick in another direction.

I wonder how Dallas fans will feel when Jerry starts to believe so much in this year's offseason rehaul of the CB position, that he let's Newman walk away.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

bobindallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
The "Grade the draft" thread. Most gave the pick a C or D.

3 people on the first page gave the pick a C or C+.
I listed him as an A -- on the first page.
bobindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
He's only going to be a 5th corner at best...Ball or Ogelsby would have been fine in that role...it was just a value pick...and it was a good one, but if he wasnt there, we may have gone w/ an entirely different position.
Well, I think Kiper had him as a second rounder and he was as highly valued by some as Justin King. Did grade the second fastest corner.

So, I suspect he was considered starting potential by most. I read somewhere he had a little criminal record which hurt him and that he should have gone back to finish up and learn.

In terms of pure athletics, neither Ball nor Oglesby are in the same league.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a raw, but immensely talented kid. They'll have basically a freebie year. If they have to depend on him this year for anything more than dime packages, then yes, they are likely in trouble. But, next year is when he'll matter a bit more, and if Roy gets moved, and Anthony gets slid to FS, then your CB depth charts could be fine, saving the necessity from reaching for someone.

Overall, it was a fine pick. At that point, targeting talent is more important than targeting need.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobindallas View Post
Well, I think Kiper had him as a second rounder and he was as highly valued by some as Justin King. Did grade the second fastest corner.

So, I suspect he was considered starting potential by most. I read somewhere he had a little criminal record which hurt him and that he should have gone back to finish up and learn.

In terms of pure athletics, neither Ball nor Oglesby are in the same league.
What I was trying to say was...if the value wasnt on the board, I'm sure they were satisfied or conent w/ Ball and/or Ogelsby...and perhaps we would have selected a different position. It was a very good value pick but, it wasn't a "need" anymore, not if he is only going to be your 5th/6th guy. It was still a good pick, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 05-01-2008, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I've seen him look lost trying to defend Hawaii's passing attack, so if anyone, maybe it was my remarks that coop was talking about. The value was fine, his numbers are good, but his play on the field is what caused his fall. Let's not be mistaken here... he's a fast guy, but he's got A LOT to learn about being a corner and his instincts suck. I would've preferred to use the pick in another direction.

I wonder how Dallas fans will feel when Jerry starts to believe so much in this year's offseason rehaul of the CB position, that he let's Newman walk away.
They aren't that stupid and have stated just as much.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A team mate of mine is his cousin. My teammate is a lineman so its funny to see how differently they are built

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I've kinda seen this coming, and have commented on it a few times. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we try to low-ball Newman. Not enough to where he'll consider signing, but just enough to where we won't look like idiots to the fans.

Honestly, i wouldn't feel comfortable giving a 30 year old CB a 25+ million dollar signing bonus, which is what Newman no doubt will be looking for. If Mike Jenkins can prove that he can be a #1 corner, and Adam Jones shows enough promise to start, then we might do that.

I don't think we'll lose him for nothing though, we'll franchise him, offer him a decent contract, then trade him away for ransom. There's no way that he'll play for the franchise tag.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
What I was trying to say was...if the value wasnt on the board, I'm sure they were satisfied or conent w/ Ball and/or Ogelsby...and perhaps we would have selected a different position. It was a very good value pick but, it wasn't a "need" anymore, not if he is only going to be your 5th/6th guy. It was still a good pick, though.
Maybe they hate Ball and Ogelsby? So maybe it was a 'need?"
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I've kinda seen this coming, and have commented on it a few times. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we try to low-ball Newman. Not enough to where he'll consider signing, but just enough to where we won't look like idiots to the fans.

Honestly, i wouldn't feel comfortable giving a 30 year old CB a 25+ million dollar signing bonus, which is what Newman no doubt will be looking for. If Mike Jenkins can prove that he can be a #1 corner, and Adam Jones shows enough promise to start, then we might do that.

I don't think we'll lose him for nothing though, we'll franchise him, offer him a decent contract, then trade him away for ransom. There's no way that he'll play for the franchise tag.
.... yet Jerry lets boy-Roy continue to collect checks in spite of surplus SS candidates.

FWIW, I would not pay him either but I would not do so based on his age. Franchise him, get the extra juice and let him walk. Should have done this to Flo this year and basically set Free up for 2009.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:20 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobindallas View Post
.... yet Jerry lets boy-Roy continue to collect checks in spite of surplus SS candidates.

FWIW, I would not pay him either but I would not do so based on his age. Franchise him, get the extra juice and let him walk. Should have done this to Flo this year and basically set Free up for 2009.
What the hell does this have to do with Roy? He's collecting his paychecks because if we cut him it would hurt the team more than help. Who are you gonna bring on for that extra roster spot?

Roy Williams is at least talented and can play special teams very well. His salary cap hit is what has prevented any removal from this team, not his play, so please, hold on to your random comments.

And for the record, Terence Newman will NOT play under the franchise tag. EVER. Write it down, memorize it, whatever you want to do to remember, but i'll wrestle a grizzly bear before Terence Newman plays under the franchise tag.

I don't doubt that we tag him if he plays out this year under this contract, but it'll be just to hold his rights to try and sign him to a contract that makes sense for us, or to trade him. He'd be an idiot if he played under the tag, and i'm sure his agent knows that. At his age, a lot of teams will already be scared to give that much money to him, so why would he go another year, risking injury and tire wear?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
What the hell does this have to do with Roy? He's collecting his paychecks because if we cut him it would hurt the team more than help. Who are you gonna bring on for that extra roster spot?
I would sign Charlie Waters. But I was making a point about him possibly shoving off Newman while keeping lard ass Williams. Shows injustice in its truest form.

Quote:
Roy Williams is at least talented and can play special teams very well.
That is exactly what I want my $10MM safety for. Special teams. And what talent does he have, running around in circles while the TE runs in for a TD? Or better yet, smashing into his own teammate b/c he is 1 second too late for a tackle.

Roy is anything but a talented SS at this point. He is a big fat guy who blames others for his failures but is around b/c of a mistake contract.

Quote:
His salary cap hit is what has prevented any removal from this team, not his play, so please, hold on to your random comments.
Would be interested to know exactly the Cap hit at this point.

Quote:
And for the record, Terence Newman will NOT play under the franchise tag. EVER. Write it down, memorize it, whatever you want to do to remember, but i'll wrestle a grizzly bear before Terence Newman plays under the franchise tag.

I don't doubt that we tag him if he plays out this year under this contract, but it'll be just to hold his rights to try and sign him to a contract that makes sense for us, or to trade him. He'd be an idiot if he played under the tag, and i'm sure his agent knows that. At his age, a lot of teams will already be scared to give that much money to him, so why would he go another year, risking injury and tire wear?
So we are not franchising Terence b/c Terence won't play? Where have I heard that threat before ..... oh yeah every year 3-4 players who need their game check to support their lifestyle.

TNew will play and will do so in order to make more money than any grown man should for a game.

Notwithstanding, I would not give TNew a contract beyond 2 years. Once your body goes past 30 it can go any minute now.......

Last edited by bobindallas : 05-01-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What the hell does this have to do with Roy?
Nothing at all, but he cannot make a post in a thread without referencing it back to Roy at some point, argue with him then Jerry gets thrown under the bus too lol...That's why he stays on my ignore list, only time I read his comments are when he gets quoted.

As far as Scandrick goes, I have him a B for the selection, great value, very fast, and he has a chance to develop before getting thrown out there...If we can have alot of man cover corners, it helps Wade dial up some different blizes that he wasn't able to do with Reeves in the slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 05-01-2008 at 07:58 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote