Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobindallas View Post
I would sign Charlie Waters. But I was making a point about him possibly shoving off Newman while keeping lard ass Williams. Shows injustice in its truest form.

Well, let's see, let's break it down for you Bob, since you're obviously having a hard time with it. Terence Newman after this year = No contract. Roy Williams after this year = Yes contract. Comprende?

That is exactly what I want my $10MM safety for. Special teams. And what talent does he have, running around in circles while the TE runs in for a TD? Or better yet, smashing into his own teammate b/c he is 1 second too late for a tackle.

Well when you're forced to eat dead-money, you might as well make him do something. I'd rather have him play special teams while his cap hit lowers, than have him on the sidelines holding a clipboard and looking at pictures

Roy is anything but a talented SS at this point. He is a big fat guy who blames others for his failures but is around b/c of a mistake contract.

Would be interested to know exactly the Cap hit at this point.

He signed a 5 year, 25.2 million dollar deal with 11.1 signing bonus. That makes the salary cap hit for bonus money 2.75 million for every year of that deal. He's got three left so that would be 8.25 million directly onto the Salary Cap if he were to be released. Hefty price for a team with little cap room to begin with

So we are not franchising Terence b/c Terence won't play? Where have I heard that threat before ..... oh yeah every year 3-4 players who need their game check to support their lifestyle.

TNew will play and will do so in order to make more money than any grown man should for a game.

Notwithstanding, I would not give TNew a contract beyond 2 years. Once your body goes past 30 it can go any minute now.......

Well like i said, bring me a bear and i'll tackle that sucker down if Newman plays on the tag. I'd rather use the tag on Barber. He'll be a URFA also, and he will hold more value to us. IF Newman gets the tag, what incentive does he have playing for it, knowing that they're gonna dump him once the season is over? Agents are smarter than that.
Responses in bold.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
That's why he stays on my ignore list, only time I read his comments are when he gets quoted.

Well aren't you a lucky one. lol. And don't worry, he's having a Jerry moment in another thread here. Which reminds me, i need to go hand him his ass over there as well.

P.S.

Congratulations to me on my 1000th post. It's been a great time :D
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

bobindallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So the Roy hit would be 2.75MM right? What are the annual figures?

B/c you need to amortize the bonus to even out the annual numbers I think.

If that is the case, I am sure the bonus was already amortized and what would be left is very little ASSUMING his slary goes from low to high like most contracts.
bobindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Which reminds me, i need to go hand him his ass over there as well.
LOL. Now that is funny. Rah-rah-rah!!!!!!! I love Jerry!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 PM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
Responses in bold.
You just contradicted yourself....

I say TNew plays regardless b/c all players do. I can't remember 1 player sitting out a season due to the franchise tag.

What is you position again? He won't play and sit out if tagged?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobindallas View Post
You just contradicted yourself....

I say TNew plays regardless b/c all players do. I can't remember 1 player sitting out a season due to the franchise tag.

What is you position again? He won't play and sit out if tagged?
How did i contradict myself?

I said Newman won't play on the tag because he has no incentive to (besides the salary). He's gonna lose market value after he plays one more year, and he was very roughed up this past year as far as injuries. Who knows when he'll aggravate that foot injury again.

A Pro-Bowl CB in his prime, ready to be over the proverbial hill, with a possibly re-curring foot injury playing for one year, with his financial security completely insecure afterwards?

That'll work out perfectly for him, right?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WOW Boobindallas doesnt like Roy or Jerry??? Hmmm who knew:p

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:13 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How did i contradict myself?

I said Newman won't play on the tag because he has no incentive to (besides the salary).
Yep. No incentive to besides the what, eight million dollars?

I wouldn't get out of bed for eight million dollars. A giant contract with sixty million dollars I will never ever ever ever ever see? Hells yeah. But eight million garunteed, nfw.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Yep. No incentive to besides the what, eight million dollars?

I wouldn't get out of bed for eight million dollars. A giant contract with sixty million dollars I will never ever ever ever ever see? Hells yeah. But eight million garunteed, nfw.
Of course right, because all a player has to look forward to is one years' salary, correct??

I can't comprehend how you all can try to justify a player of his caliber, taking everything into consideration, playing under a franchise tag.

What about after that year? What about all the risks that come along with playing under a one year contract?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Of course right, because all a player has to look forward to is one years' salary, correct??

I can't comprehend how you all can try to justify a player of his caliber, taking everything into consideration, playing under a franchise tag.
Eight million dollars?

As for all Newman having to look foward to is one year's salary, yeah, because there is so much job security in NFL contracts.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Eight million dollars?

As for all Newman having to look foward to is one year's salary, yeah, because there is so much job security in NFL contracts.
Why play for 8 million when you can get 25+ guaranteed, elsewhere??

He's got at least 2 years in him to play at an elite level, so that alone, with a new contract after next season, will get him somewhere between 28-32 million dollars.

You play for 8, and lose market value, risk injury, which is very possible given what type of injury he has had, and you put at risk all that money.

Now tell me, why in the hell would you play for 8 million dollars then?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Why play for 8 million when you can get 25+ guaranteed, elsewhere??

He's got at least 2 years in him to play at an elite level, so that alone, with a new contract after next season, will get him somewhere between 28-32 million dollars.

You play for 8, and lose market value, risk injury, which is very possible given what type of injury he has had, and you put at risk all that money.

Now tell me, why in the hell would you play for 8 million dollars then?
Because teams realize at his age, he has 2 years in him to play at an elite level. Last year Nate Clements got an 8 year 80 million dollar deal. At age 27. DeAngelo Hall got a similar deal at 25. Why would Newman get that deal at 30?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How much would Roy count against the salary cap if he was cut?

I want an answer from someone who knows. No guesses please.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
How much would Roy count against the salary cap if he was cut?

I want an answer from someone who knows. No guesses please.
Well unless you talk to someone who's with the team or has some sources from the team, good luck getting the official number.

Like i said before, if the signing bonus is correct (11.1 million) then it should be 8.25 million before June 1st. After that, i think it prorates over 2 years so it would be 4 million.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:54 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Because teams realize at his age, he has 2 years in him to play at an elite level. Last year Nate Clements got an 8 year 80 million dollar deal. At age 27. DeAngelo Hall got a similar deal at 25. Why would Newman get that deal at 30?
Because he can make more money and have some stability if he were to get that money as soon as possible. You're right, why would a team pay humongous money to a 30 year old CB? Now put yourself in his shoes, would you go an extra year, and then try to convince a team again to pay you that kind of money, at 31?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Well unless you talk to someone who's with the team or has some sources from the team, good luck getting the official number.

Like i said before, if the signing bonus is correct (11.1 million) then it should be 8.25 million before June 1st. After that, i think it prorates over 2 years so it would be 4 million.
Well i'll be damned.

According to The Dallas Morning News, cutting him before June 1st would be 7.387 million on the cap. After, you do spread it over two years and it would be 2.947 this year and 4.4ish next year.

Pretty close if you ask me ;)

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives..._or_going.html
Old 05-01-2008, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Because he can make more money and have some stability if he were to get that money as soon as possible. You're right, why would a team pay humongous money to a 30 year old CB? Now put yourself in his shoes, would you go an extra year, and then try to convince a team again to pay you that kind of money, at 31?
Well, if Orlando Pace has taught me anything, its that teams really are willing to franchise someone year after year until most likely the point that they would have cut him anyway if he had signed a long term contract. Now, lets say the Cowboys franchise Newman 3 times and then stop. Thats I'm guessing 27 million dollars. 27 million dollars out of 27 million dollars he would have gotten. Not 27 million out of 60 that he was never going to see the other 33 of anyway.

I've been wondering if these players who sign these contracts for 4 years for 60 million dollars that consist of 1 million the first year and 59 the next 3 realize they're never going to see that other 59. Take Donte Stallworth with the Patriots for example. Or Ty Law.

Ty Law signed a huge contract with the Jets a few years ago. After the year Law had for the Jets, he was someone who clearly deserved to make the beaucoup bucks his contract had for him starting the second year. But the Jets cut him. You know why? Because they were always going to and no matter how well Law did, they were going to cut him anyway. Law had 10 interceptions. He could have had 20 and it wouldn't have mattered.

So no, I don't know why the franchise tag and the enormous amount of money you make for 1 year is such an insult to so many players. I guess I might if I was actually an NFL player. But I'm not, so I don't.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:41 AM    (permalink
bobindallas
Rookie

Quote:
Well, if Orlando Pace has taught me anything, its that teams really are willing to franchise someone year after year until most likely the point that they would have cut him anyway if he had signed a long term contract. Now, lets say the Cowboys franchise Newman 3 times and then stop. Thats I'm guessing 27 million dollars. 27 million dollars out of 27 million dollars he would have gotten. Not 27 million out of 60 that he was never going to see the other 33 of anyway.

I've been wondering if these players who sign these contracts for 4 years for 60 million dollars that consist of 1 million the first year and 59 the next 3 realize they're never going to see that other 59. Take Donte Stallworth with the Patriots for example. Or Ty Law.

Ty Law signed a huge contract with the Jets a few years ago. After the year Law had for the Jets, he was someone who clearly deserved to make the beaucoup bucks his contract had for him starting the second year. But the Jets cut him. You know why? Because they were always going to and no matter how well Law did, they were going to cut him anyway. Law had 10 interceptions. He could have had 20 and it wouldn't have mattered.

So no, I don't know why the franchise tag and the enormous amount of money you make for 1 year is such an insult to so many players. I guess I might if I was actually an NFL player. But I'm not, so I don't.
You are talking sense to someone that makes none. Why bother.

The franchsie tag is used on older players to prepare younger guys to play or get one year juice in a playoff scenario.

TNew will "unhappily" play as a franchise but what he should have done is graduate college sooner. He has no one to blame but himself.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:

I understand what you're saying about the constant franchising, but why in the hell would someone happily play when franchised if they would be one injury away from being released the following season? If Newmans' foot injury were to arise again the year he would potentially be franchised, what are the chances of him being released at the end of the season? Pretty high i'd say, and he'd lose a ton of market value. Three years under the franchise would net you close to 30 million dollars, yes, none of that which is GUARANTEED. That being the key word around contracts. Something i'm feeling you have a hard time understanding.

I do get what you're saying with the Jets and Law, but Law was coming off an injury plagued season, and he needed at least one year to prove himself that he could play. I doubt he played for chump change, so if you have the numbers of the contract he signed, please, bring them up, because i'm sure there was a nice little signing bonus in there at some point. Players don't care much about their salary. They want to get as much signing bonus as they can, because that's all the money that they're guaranteed. One injury or bad season and the only guarantee that they have is that they're getting released or taking a pay cut.

And you don't have to be an NFL player to understand how teams shaft players with the Franchise tag. It just takes a little common sense on what would be the best financial scenario for a player.

Put yourself in the players position and let go of that little fantasy that players will just obey when the team wants to use them for one year and throw them to the curb.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
I understand what you're saying about the constant franchising, but why in the hell would someone happily play when franchised if they would be one injury away from being released the following season? If Newmans' foot injury were to arise again the year he would potentially be franchised, what are the chances of him being released at the end of the season? Pretty high i'd say, and he'd lose a ton of market value. Three years under the franchise would net you close to 30 million dollars, yes, none of that which is GUARANTEED. That being the key word around contracts. Something i'm feeling you have a hard time understanding.
Unless Newman's foot falls off, no, I don't think the Cowboys would simply release him. If a team franchises a player, I'm pretty sure they are required to pay him the average of the top five players in the league. So in the sense, the 8-10 million or however much it is, is garunteed.

And most of the money in the contract Newman would get isn't garunteed anyway.

Quote:
I do get what you're saying with the Jets and Law, but Law was coming off an injury plagued season, and he needed at least one year to prove himself that he could play. I doubt he played for chump change, so if you have the numbers of the contract he signed, please, bring them up, because i'm sure there was a nice little signing bonus in there at some point. Players don't care much about their salary. They want to get as much signing bonus as they can, because that's all the money that they're guaranteed. One injury or bad season and the only guarantee that they have is that they're getting released or taking a pay cut.
I have found a couple of snippets of Law's NYJ contract, although nothing I'd call concrete. From what I can piece together.
7 years 50 million dollars
Incentive laiden
11 million dollar roster bonus between his first and second years..... that he never saw.
"Potentially" 28 million over the first three years.

Quote:
And you don't have to be an NFL player to understand how teams shaft players with the Franchise tag. It just takes a little common sense on what would be the best financial scenario for a player.

Put yourself in the players position and let go of that little fantasy that players will just obey when the team wants to use them for one year and throw them to the curb.
But the team doesn't just throw them to the curb after one year. In fact, players often sign the franchise tender with the agreement that the teams CAN'T franchise them a second time.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:43 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who you going to believe? Hawaii coach and talent evaluator June Jones

Shortly after the NFL Draft, SMU coach June Jones visited Wade Phillips. And he made a bold statement ...

The Cowboys' best draft pick, Jones insisted, would be fifth guy they took. That would be Boise State CB Orlando Scandrick, whom June faced in the WAC in his days as Hawaii coach.

"He's not better than June Jones thought he was, I'll tell you that," Phillips said of Scandrick. "I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, but he said, 'You know who the best player you got in the draft was?' And I said no, and he said, 'Scandrick.' He said he's going to better than all of them you got. I said, 'Really?'

"He said, 'I'm telling you, I've seen a lot of DBs and I was on the field seeing him,' and talked about his presence on the field during the game, and you don't see that (on film). He thinks he's going to be pretty good."

If you've watched the kid through two days of practice, I think you'd agree.

Or Hawaii fan and super poster D-Unit

I've seen him look lost trying to defend Hawaii's passing attack, so if anyone, maybe it was my remarks that coop was talking about. The value was fine, his numbers are good, but his play on the field is what caused his fall. Let's not be mistaken here... he's a fast guy, but he's got A LOT to learn about being a corner and his instincts suck. I would've preferred to use the pick in another direction.

For now I'm leaning towards June.:D

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 05-03-2008, 06:01 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I'm also leaning towards not paying attention to anything that comes out of mini-camps because there is a reason Jenkins was in the 1st and Scandrick was in the 5th.

Amendola has already been declared Wes Welker 2.0 if you read the minicamp reports and what people say about him. I hope it turns out to be true, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up on the PS.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's some pretty good praise, and I don't think its too much to assume he will see some playing time in the Dime formations at some point...I really like the upside he offers, and I won't say we should of went in another direction, because there were at least 5 other guys available when we took Walden that just made things worse, I hate to knock a guy before he plays a down, but quite frankly there were alot more highly rated players left on the defensive side of the ball so that one pissed me off.

I had been wanting 2 corners in this draft all along, even with Pacman, Molden, Wheatley, and Scandrick were 3 sleepers at corner I wanted us to pick up because I felt one might slide, Scandrick did the most so that was one of the moves I appluaded.

I'm still upset we didn't draft Blake, I thought Jerry would of jumped on that potential and upside like always, call me crazy but for a 6th I'll take the guy who was a previous 1st rounder and labeled to be a beast in the 3-4...He would be extremely close to home and in familiar surroundings, he must of had some serious issues in his head if we went with Walden over him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Who you going to believe? Hawaii coach and talent evaluator June Jones

Shortly after the NFL Draft, SMU coach June Jones visited Wade Phillips. And he made a bold statement ...

The Cowboys' best draft pick, Jones insisted, would be fifth guy they took. That would be Boise State CB Orlando Scandrick, whom June faced in the WAC in his days as Hawaii coach.

"He's not better than June Jones thought he was, I'll tell you that," Phillips said of Scandrick. "I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him, but he said, 'You know who the best player you got in the draft was?' And I said no, and he said, 'Scandrick.' He said he's going to better than all of them you got. I said, 'Really?'

"He said, 'I'm telling you, I've seen a lot of DBs and I was on the field seeing him,' and talked about his presence on the field during the game, and you don't see that (on film). He thinks he's going to be pretty good."

If you've watched the kid through two days of practice, I think you'd agree.

Or Hawaii fan and super poster D-Unit

I've seen him look lost trying to defend Hawaii's passing attack, so if anyone, maybe it was my remarks that coop was talking about. The value was fine, his numbers are good, but his play on the field is what caused his fall. Let's not be mistaken here... he's a fast guy, but he's got A LOT to learn about being a corner and his instincts suck. I would've preferred to use the pick in another direction.

For now I'm leaning towards June.:D
Is this the same June Jones that told Colt Brennan that he'd be a sure fire first round pick if he comes back for his Senior year? Yes, you say? Oh ok... just checking.

Hell I hope Scandrick is good, but let's not get carried away here. He's got a large adjustment curve ahead of him. He's got the raw skills, but that's all I've seen so far. Fact remains... he got TOASTED by Hawaii's pass offense... and he knew they were going to pass. No run guessing involved. He knew they were gonna pass and still had difficulty covering. We're talking about performance against a 6th round draft pick and a WR bunch that all went undrafted. So when he covers WRs in the NFL... I hope he's not thrown into the fire too prematurely.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:45 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Is this the same June Jones that told Colt Brennan that he'd be a sure fire first round pick if he comes back for his Senior year? Yes, you say? Oh ok... just checking.

Hell I hope Scandrick is good, but let's not get carried away here. He's got a large adjustment curve ahead of him. He's got the raw skills, but that's all I've seen so far. Fact remains... he got TOASTED by Hawaii's pass offense... and he knew they were going to pass. No run guessing involved. He knew they were gonna pass and still had difficulty covering. We're talking about performance against a 6th round draft pick and a WR bunch that all went undrafted. So when he covers WRs in the NFL... I hope he's not thrown into the fire too prematurely.
OMG, you mean a coach lied to keep his QB for another year? WOW I bet thats the first time thats happened.:p Just seems strange for a coach, unsolicited, to say he was going to be the best player we drafted. Especially after the coaches team lit him up.