Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 05-02-2008, 10:54 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default my take on our draft

Round 1 (#3): Matt Ryan QB Boston College
When I first saw that the Falcons drafted Matt Ryan ahead of Glenn Dorsey I was so pissed. I mean we passed up a beast of a DT who could anchor our Defense for years to come. But after I thought about it and let it soak in, I realized that drafting Ryan was a smart choice. We really needed a franchise QB to replace Vick and attempt to get fans to forget him. Ryan has outstanding character and is the type of player you don’t have to worry about hearing on the news that he was arrested or charged with something. In my mind he’s the most NFL-ready QB in the draft and is the type of leader we need. Having a good is not great running game will help him a lot and we have some good weapons in Roddy White, Harry Douglas and Robinson which should help him. I expect him to be a very good QB for us for years to come.
B+

Round 1 (#21): Sam Baker OT USC
Some people would say that trading back into the first round to pick Sam Baker was a reach but to me it wasn’t. There were a lot of OT getting drafted in the first round and if we didn’t trade up we more the likely wouldn’t have had the opportunity to pick a good/great LT to protect Ryan. Keep in mind that before Baker’s senior season he was a lock to be a first rounder which means he does have skills and could possibly block for Ryan for a decade. I would have liked to see the Falcons draft at least one more OT but next years draft class is loaded so we could easily draft one or two good ones next year to make up for it.
B

Round 2 (#37): Curtis Lofton ILB Oklahoma
Like most Falcon fans this is my favorite pick in our entire draft. Lofton looks like the next Lance Briggs but as a MLB. Lofton isn’t the fastest LB in the draft but he is an absolute beast in the middle. He is a great tackler who will destroy some RB trying to run over him. Having Lofton, Boley and Brooking/Nicholas is a very nice set of LB’s. I could easily see Lofton make four or five pro-bowls in his career and be a rock for us in the middle for years.
A+

Round 3 (#68): Chevis Jackson CB LSU
At first I didn’t like this pick because Jackson isn’t the fastest CB available, but I read about him and found out that he fits our defensive scheme perfectly. He faced top level competition in college and did very well. He is very physical in coverage and isn’t scared of coming up for run support. He doesn’t take risks in coverage which could lead to a big plays, instead he just does what he suppose to. Having him and Chris Houston on either side is going to look sick/ He’s just like Baker, Lofton and Ryan in that he has great character and wont make our franchise look bad.
B

Round 3 (#84): Harry Douglas WR Louisville
Again, at first I didn’t like this pick. I thought that if we drafted a WR in this draft that it would be a speed receiver to be our deep threat and run back kick and punts but Douglass makes sense to me now. Even though Douglas can run back kicks he is most likely going to be our slot receiver and be our Wes Welker. He has nice hands and was very productive at Louisville and is reliable in route running. He might have been a little reach in the third round but I applaud Thomas Dimitrof for finding guys with good character that he likes and drafting them before other teams do.
B

Round 3 (#98): Thomas DeCoud S California
Like Jackons, Thomas DeCoud was not the fastest guy available at the time but he’s a very smart football player. He is good/great at run support and isn’t afraid to make a big hit on a WR/RB. If he doesn’t pan out as our future starting safety we will still have an excellent kick coverage guy, which is more important then people think. DeCoud is another good character guy which I am very happy that Dimitrof went with these guys to be in our locker room.
C

Round 5 (#138): Robert James OLB Arizona State
James is a nice backup LB for us. He isn’t very fast but hes got good football speed. He is a good cover LB and like Lofton, isn’t afraid to get his head in there to make a nice tackle. He’s a very good tackler and doesn’t miss very many. If James doesn’t work out as a LB then we could possible try him at safety. His versatility is a nice plus.
C

Round 5 (#154): Kroy Biermann OLB Montana
Didn’t really see a good reason to draft 3 LB’s in the draft but I got faith in Dimitrof. I didn’t know anything about this guy when we first drafted him so I had to go searching for him in the web. I could see Kroy being used as a situational pass rusher to give Abraham and Anderson a rest. He has a nice motor which to me is great.
C+

Round 6 (#172): Thomas Brown RB Georgia
If Brown didn’t have some injury concerns coming out of college be probably would have been draft much higher. He is a very powerful runner who likes to run people over rather then juke them. Like DeCoud, he is an excellent kick off coverage guy who will probably make a name for himself there in his early years in the NFL. I love that we brought a home town product from Georgia who could hopefully be our third RB on our debt charts.
B

Round 7 (#212): Wilrey Fontenot CB Arizona
Our secondary is loaded after getting Wilrey. With Williams, Coleman, Stone, Houston, Jackson, Hutchins, Irons and Miloy I don’t see much of a chance that he makes the team unless he really impresses our coaches in training camp/pre-season. Could be used in special teams if he does make the team.
D

Round 7 (#232): Keith Zinger TE LSU
I thought TE was a bigger need then the seventh round but I guess Dimitrof has a lot of faith in the ones we have.
D
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Mekias
Rookie

Mekias hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ryan - was the smart "PR" pick. He wasn't the smart football pick for a rebuilding franchise. I'm crossing my fingers that he'll be worth the money because I'm pretty sure Dorsey will be. But hey, at least AB doesn't have to answer as many Vick questions.

Baker - I still think TD reached a bit but this is what happens when you draft a franchise QB and don't have anyone to protect him. I think Baker will be a fine pass protection LT and that's mostly what I want from an LT. I just wish we didn't have to give up 2 2nd rounders to get him.

Lofton - stud

Jackson - extremely good production, he'll be solid for a long time. I think he can start from day 1.

Douglas - astounding quickness and good hands but still really raw. Definitely a reach in round 3. Very slight for a slot receiver. He's reportedly a bad route runner but has the skillset to get better.

DeCoud - safety seems a bit crowded right now. Not sure about his playing time. He might get quite a bit if he can provide deep zone coverage. If he's only a special teamer, round 3 is too high.

James - decent backup, wasn't really needed unless Brooking is being cut.

Biermann - very interesting pick. I love his tenacity and motor. Coach says he's freakishly strong. Will be great on special teams until we can find a proper spot for him.

Brown - will keep the Georgia fans happy for a few weeks until they realize that the Falcons are still a bad team.

Fontenot - can make the team if he puts out 100%.

Zinger - I've heard good things from him. He was apparently a go-to guy for LSU when a first down was needed. Decent blocker. He could stick with the team if he performs well.

Last edited by Mekias : 05-02-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Mekias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:52 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Curtis Lofton ran a 4.6 at the pro day. He ran a 4.7 at the combine. The guy plays fast on gamedays so it doesn't matter if he runs a 4.4 or 6.8. He'll rack up a lot of tackles.

Chevis Jackson is a great pick. We can match him up with a bigger recievers. The guys isn't fast but he is in the 6 foot range and puts up over 355lbs on the bench. He has a lot of experiance in the toughest region and was very productive. A great shutdown corner who could be the best CB we have on the team right now.

Kroy Biermann is super athletic. He got speed and strenght. He relies a lot on the bull rush and in the D II level was unstoppable. He was a huge wresting and track star in highschool.

Thomas Brown will most likely return kicks and punts as of now. He got speed and power. He can break tackles and, SimonRath, he can actually juke pretty well. The thing i might like most from him is his acceleration. He can't be tackled in the open field, it takes more than one to bring him down.

Fontenot will most likely make the team but wont play on defense. He was selected because of his speed, the guy was a huge track star and he got some wheels on him. Will most likely have a nice impact on ST.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 05-02-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:58 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post

Thomas Brown will most likely return kicks and punts as of now. He got speed and power. He can break tackles and, SimonRath, he can actually juke pretty well. The thing i might like most from him is his acceleration. He can't be tackled in the open field, it takes more than one to bring him down.
I never said he wasn't capable of juking people. I just said hes more of a power back then a shifty one.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
I never said he wasn't capable of juking people. I just said hes more of a power back then a shifty one.
o Hell NO!

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 05-02-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rtUpm2PVCEA
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:16 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
o Hell NO!
chill out bro.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:18 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
nice video. always figured a guy who could bench over 400lbs would be a power one

Sig by BK

Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

haha im good, "o hell no!" means i just strongly disagree, and also that you're wrong. Thats it.
I hope he gets some reps, the guy is a beast... he proved that when he was healthy.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 05-02-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
haha im good, "o hell no!" means i just strongly disagree, and also that you're wrong. Thats it.
I hope he gets some reps, the guy is a beast... he proved that when he was healthy.
Im not a UGA fan so i didnt know much about him. I just figured that a guy that strong would be a power back more then a shifty back

Sig by BK

Old 05-02-2008, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Im not a UGA fan so i didnt know much about him. I just figured that a guy that strong would be a power back more then a shifty back
Its cool man, you just have to watch him play and you'll see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS76rkX8T-k

As long as he's a falcon im happy.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 05-02-2008, 07:23 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone else hated Matt Ryan before the draft. I liked him. We draft him and now everybody mostly likes him.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:28 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I accepted Ryan. my view is that if the team wanted him it's got to be hte right pick. I will accept him until he proves to be a bust or a boom. once he proves to be either I will treat him as such. if he's a boom, I'll embrace him the way I embraced Vick (only much more cause Vick always had a shady feel where Ryan doesn't at all. he's suburban white bread.) and I will shun him the way lions fans shun harrington if he proves ot be harrington 2.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Everyone else hated Matt Ryan before the draft. I liked him. We draft him and now everybody mostly likes him.
I'll be the first to admit that i did not want Ryan at #3 but now that hes on our team i gotta accept it

Sig by BK

Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think i was the one that bashed Ryan the most. I wanted everybody except him.
I think we should all just rep Bama and forget it. Im waiting for my 500 and then i will.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post

Well, he was growing on me up until the draft, and now I've really started to like him.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I loved the defensive selections you guys chose, it's just a shame Dorsey wont be in the middle playing ahead of Lofton...Imagine Dorsey, Anderson if he gets his ass into gear, Lofton, Jackson is an excellent pick for a cover 2 and he could become a star opposite Houston, Decoud is another excellent value pick I wanted Dallas to look at, he should fit the cover 2 very well, same for Jimmy Williams...Even without Dorsey their are some valuable pieces to the defense which is good.

Lofton was my pick for DROY before the draft even started, he will be a complete monster.

As far as the PR thing is considered, wasn't Warren Sapp the face of the Bucs franchise for his entire tenure? I mean, they didn't have a QB backing that franchise, Sapp was the face of the team and led them the right way...I just don't get why Blank didn't think the same could be done with Dorsey, as far as a QB, if you guys would of traded back up for Henne or Brohm in the 1st, that should still be enough to make people forget about Vick...I like Ryan, I just didn't believe they would take him over Dorsey, but for the sake of the franchise I hope it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 AM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Ryan was on top of my draft board at one point. For some reason, I had Gholston on top of my draft board on draft day in front of Dorsey and Ryan. Dorsey and Ryan were a toss-up though, so I just went with Dorsey. The draft boards were really all close though after Jake Long was taken off the draft board.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I already posted this in the rookie numbers thread 3 days ago but i'll post it here in not all have seen it...

Falcons full:

Draftees:

QB Matt Ryan 2
OT Sam Baker 72
LB Curtis Lofton 50
CB Chevis Jackson 29
WR Harry Douglas 83
S Thomas DeCoud 28
LB Robert James 45
DE Kroy Biermann 71
RB Thomas Brown 27
CB Wilrey Fontenot 37
TE Keith Zingler 82

UDFA:

DE Brandon Miller 58
RB Jamar Brittingham 40
P Jimmie Kaylor 4
OT Michael Butterworth 68
S DJ Wolfe 42
CB Glenn Sharpe 35
LB Issac Brown 43

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 05-03-2008, 10:45 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wonder which future player will don the #21 and #7 for us.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

QB Matt Ryan 2
OT Sam Baker 72
LB Curtis Lofton 50
S Thomas DeCoud 28

I love those numbers, going to look real good out on the field, favorite is Lofton's but those are my 4 favorites from this year's class numbers wise.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote