Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Which defense is the most effective?
4-3 26 37.14%
3-4 26 37.14%
Cover 2 13 18.57%
Other/Specify 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2008, 12:54 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default When you have the ideal personnel...

Which defense do you think is the most effective? That means you have the proper players at each position to run your defense and its running on all cylinders...We have seen some great defense in each of these formations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you want to be best at?

If it's taking away the run, 3-4
If it's taking away the pass, Tampa 2

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:39 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

43 Defense easily imo.

The cover 2 defense isn't. Its just a shell most of the time these days anyway.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:53 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
The cover 2 defense isn't. Its just a shell most of the time these days anyway.
Cover 2 is a play. Tampa 2 is a scheme. The Colts, Bucs, and Lions probably will run the purest forms of the Tampa 2 this year.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 AM    (permalink
kmartin575
Veteran

kmartin575 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Cover 2 is a play. Tampa 2 is a scheme. The Colts, Bucs, and Lions probably will run the purest forms of the Tampa 2 this year.
Chiefs as well.
kmartin575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's what I meant, I actually thought it was all the same, I just thought Tampa 2 was a variation of the Cover 2 defense that Dungy made...Wasn't certain though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tampa 2 was the brain child of Dungy and Kiffin, I think Lovie was in there as well coaching the secondary or linebackers or something. Its an evolution of a Chuck Noll defense.

It differs from the play cover 2 in that the safeties traditionally don't split and cover the field 50/50 that's actually a 43 defense thing. The more common thing if for the safeties to be roving and have a bigger role. Your FS needs to be as good as some corners and your SS needs to be able to smash people over the middle.

Your MLB then becomes somewhat of a third safety dropping back to keep the play in front of him. Basically you need fast mobile hard hitters in order to be effective.

In a cover 2 play the there's a hole behind cornerbacks and generally every player covers a small area with holes allowing good offenses to find placed to put the ball.

I don't like the Tampa two because if you've got a playmaking wide receiver like Steve Smith for example or a Terrell Owens or a Westbrook/Reggie Bush type running back who can make players miss in the secondary even with the defense coming around the ball they get beat.

Also if you run right at the heart of a tampa 2 defense with a power running scheme you can break it down. Bettis smashing Chicago around in his final year and Stephen Davis consistently trashing the Tampa Defense in 03 are evidence of this off the top of my head.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:34 AM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the best defense is the one that can provide the most different looks. This being said, if you had the personnel to run it a hybrid defense that could provide elements from many different defenses would be the way to go. This being said, I voted other. Thinking about it as just an either/or answer though, I'd probably say 3-4 since that tends to be the defense that can provide the most creativity and flexibility.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Tampa 2 was the brain child of Dungy and Kiffin, I think Lovie was in there as well coaching the secondary or linebackers or something. Its an evolution of a Chuck Noll defense.

It differs from the play cover 2 in that the safeties traditionally don't split and cover the field 50/50 that's actually a 43 defense thing. The more common thing if for the safeties to be roving and have a bigger role. Your FS needs to be as good as some corners and your SS needs to be able to smash people over the middle.

Your MLB then becomes somewhat of a third safety dropping back to keep the play in front of him. Basically you need fast mobile hard hitters in order to be effective.

In a cover 2 play the there's a hole behind cornerbacks and generally every player covers a small area with holes allowing good offenses to find placed to put the ball.

I don't like the Tampa two because if you've got a playmaking wide receiver like Steve Smith for example or a Terrell Owens or a Westbrook/Reggie Bush type running back who can make players miss in the secondary even with the defense coming around the ball they get beat.

Also if you run right at the heart of a tampa 2 defense with a power running scheme you can break it down. Bettis smashing Chicago around in his final year and Stephen Davis consistently trashing the Tampa Defense in 03 are evidence of this off the top of my head.
So you're saying a Tampa 2 defense is bad because a playmaker can beat it? A playmaker can beat any defense, that's what makes talent so valuable. As for running the ball, yes, because the Tampa 2 is designed to stop the pass, it is weaker than it is against the run. In its best state, however (see: Tampa 2001), it attacks the QB while still being able to stop the run very effectively. The scheme as a whole, however, is designed to attack the QB, which in today's NFL is probably the best thing a defense can do against most of the top offenses of the league.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

If you've got the right personel, a 46 Bear defense is straight scorched earth.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:42 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
If you've got the right personel, a 46 Bear defense is straight scorched earth.
Give me any of the current top offenses against that 46 Bear and I'd be shocked if it wasn't torched.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2008, 03:14 AM    (permalink
GermanSaint
Veteran

GermanSaint hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i prefer the tampa 2 thing. especially the colts-philosophie with small and quick players in the back 7 who can hit and intercept passes. in a good healthy system any DB can do wonders , if he is only quick/fast and able to under-run the passing routes . the LBs are also very cheap , mostly the colts let their LBs go after their rookie contracts , it seems that they always find the right guy in the 2-5th rounds.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
Give me any of the current top offenses against that 46 Bear and I'd be shocked if it wasn't torched.
The Eagles ran primarily a 46 in 1991 and played some historically good offenses, and still came out with the best defense of the super bowl era. If you have the right personel, the 46 is lethal, but if you don't have versitile ends and a proper zone safety you're gonna get burned.

I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
The Eagles ran primarily a 46 in 1991 and played some historically good offenses, and still came out with the best defense of the super bowl era. If you have the right personel, the 46 is lethal, but if you don't have versitile ends and a proper zone safety you're gonna get burned.
How are you defining "best defense of the Super Bowl era"? For my money, that title belongs to the 2000 Ravens.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2008, 05:41 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
So you're saying a Tampa 2 defense is bad because a playmaker can beat it? A playmaker can beat any defense, that's what makes talent so valuable. As for running the ball, yes, because the Tampa 2 is designed to stop the pass, it is weaker than it is against the run. In its best state, however (see: Tampa 2001), it attacks the QB while still being able to stop the run very effectively. The scheme as a whole, however, is designed to attack the QB, which in today's NFL is probably the best thing a defense can do against most of the top offenses of the league.
It can be beaten easier than schemes that use a free deep safety.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
It can be beaten easier than schemes that use a free deep safety.
As opposed to two free deep safeties? Or are you advocating usage of Cover 1/Cover 3 zones? Either way, that's why a Tampa 2 defense ideally has a great safety that it can rely on to diagnose a play and do whatever is necessary, such as John Lynch in his Bucs hayday, or the reigning defensive player of the year, Bob Sanders.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How are you defining "best defense of the Super Bowl era"? For my money, that title belongs to the 2000 Ravens.
yeah, that was a pretty good defense...if only we were still that good.

i think in nowadays NFL, its vital to be able to use differant looks. For example, lets look again at those dastardly ravens. Our current defense uses 3-4, 4-3, and 46 base looks. Thats why its so effective, cause with offenses are complex and varied as they are today, a defense with equally as many looks is key. With ideal personnel, you would have versatile athletes who could fill numerous positions from any defense as provide differant looks towards an offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's hard for me to say I want a 4-3, 3-4, 4-6 or whatever. I prefer to bring different looks every single play. Like a 4-3, then nickel, then 4-3, 3-4, nickel, dime, 4-6 etc... This is what Jim Johnson did this year against the Patriots and it almost got the Eagles a victory and certainly contained the Pats. The Eagles were coming out with 4-3, 3-4, 3-3-5, 4-2-5, 3-1-6 etc... I suppose the 3-4 give you the most flexibility though.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think he might be referring to it statistically. The 91 eagles D was #1 against the pass and #1 against the run. I'm not saying it's the best, but statistically you can't get much better than that.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
I think he might be referring to it statistically. The 91 eagles D was #1 against the pass and #1 against the run. I'm not saying it's the best, but statistically you can't get much better than that.
Meh, you can have yardage, I'll take points allowed any day of the week.

Quote:
Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

with ideal personnel they should all work equally

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Which defense do you think is the most effective? That means you have the proper players at each position to run your defense and its running on all cylinders...We have seen some great defense in each of these formations.
Depends on DC then. How many fronts does he have? Which fronts does he like using the most? I like the 4-3 personally, but I am a fan of the 3-4 as well. If I had my way, I'd do what the Pats do, and switch back and forth.

It makes the OC of the team have to re-do on the fly their blocking schemes and running plays on the sideline to adjust for the 4-3.

Also you can run alot more defensive fronts combining 3-4 fronts with the 4-3 fronts. Makes it harder to game plan against.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:13 AM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's put this in simple terms.

Which of these front sevens would you prefer?

LDE - Jared Allen
DT - John Henderson
DT - Tommie Harris
RDE - Aaron Schobel

SLB - Michael Boley
MLB - DeMeco Ryans
WLB - Lance Briggs

or...

DE - Aaron Smith
NT - Vince Wilfork
DE - Igor Olshansky

LOLB - Shawne Merriman
LILB - Patrick Willis
RILB - David Harris
ROLB - DeMarcus Ware
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:03 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Without writing an essay breaking down every scheme, I think we all know where i stand on this.

A properly run 3-4 is the best defense you can have, but its also the hardest defense to build. And like Shock said, a proper 3-4 front can offer many hybrid looks and really confuse an offense. Schematically the best defense but like i said, the hardest to build. Best to disguise.

a traditional 4-3 defense is starting to become obsolete. Bc at its peak, its just as difficult maybe slightly less difficult to build as a 3-4 but is not as good schematically bc it doesn't disguise schemes very well. In today's game, disguising what youre doing is critical, and traditional 4-3 and Tampa 2 defenses have a difficult time disguising. I think the packers are the only high octane defense that runs a traditional old school pure 4-3 defense. Maybe the Titans as well.

a 46 defense (which is my 2nd favorite) is somewhat easy to build, and very effective. The problem with the 46 is it tends to rely on man coverage a lot, and if you ask qbs how they feel on that, they feel more comfortable throwing at man coverage opposed to zone.

Tampa 2 is the worst of the all the schemes, but is also the easiest to build and get up to a respectable status. Its also the cheapest defense to build. Thats why I recommend that any team built with high investments on offense should compliment their offense with a Tampa 2 defense. The problem I have with Tampa 2 is the simple schemery and the fact that premiere WRs will carve up those zone coverages. Its also weaker against the run over a course of a season.

I say over the course of the season bc towards the end of the season, youll see a dropoff in run defense with these teams because those little bodies start breaking down. Also in the postseason, schemetry becomes even more important and Tampa 2 defenses are too basic to fool anybody. It relies on player performance too much.

Having that said, I don't hate the Tampa 2 anymore. I like some of the hybrid Tampa 2 teams, I dislike the pure Tampa 2 styles like Tampa and Indy run, but again, I no longer hate the scheme because I do understand that it can still be very effective. I just feel that its not the best scheme ideally compared to the rest.

Damn i said i wouldn't write an essay and I did. I didn't even say half of what i wanted to either. To properly discuss this topic would take too long. I know some of my arguments are half assed, but to explain my stance in full detail would take too long.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:48 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

Quote:
Yay. Time to shred someone.

The 2000 Ravens gave up 3,967 yards
The 1991 Eagles gave up 3,549 yards (The fewest of the 16 game schedule)

The 2000 Ravens gave up 4.3 yards per play.
The 1991 Eagles gave up 3.9 yards per play. (No other modern defense has gone below 4.0)

The 2000 Ravens gave up 373 first downs
The 1991 Eagles gave up 359 first downs. (No Other Modern defense has allowed fewer than 360)

The Ravens were slightly better at forcing turnovers.
The 2000 Ravens had 49 Turnovers
The 1991 Eagles had 48 turnovers (The only team to break 50 is another 46 team, the 85 Bears.)

The difference between the 1991 Eagles and the 2000 Ravens is that the Eagles were hitched to a tragically bad offense, that made Trent Dilfer and Co look like the 2007 Patriots.