Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 09-24-2008, 03:20 AM    (permalink
bigG
Rookie

bigG hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Matt Stafford

I just was wondering what makes Matt Stafford so highly rated. I'm not hating on the guy but he had an amazing O-line,running back, and defense last year and his numbers weren't outstanding. I think he is good, but what makes him a top 10 pick?
bigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You probley want to check out the thread toward the bottom of the 1st page.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not all the way sure if Stafford is going to come out early or not. But this might be the year for him to do it. There are going to be at least a few teams in the top 5 that are desperate for a QB. And my Chiefs are likely to be one of them. Best as I can tell, the physical tools are there with Stafford. I'd like to see a bit more consistency with him. And there appears to be some mechanics that need to be worked on. But, IMO, the potential is there. I just think it's going to be a matter of him landing in the right "situation", with a HC and QB coach that know how to develop QBs.

But as mentioned, seeing as how there is probably going to be several teams at, or near the top of the draft desperate for a QB, this might be a good year for him to come out early.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneMarko View Post
Not all the way sure if Stafford is going to come out early or not. But this might be the year for him to do it. There are going to be at least a few teams in the top 5 that are desperate for a QB. And my Chiefs are likely to be one of them. Best as I can tell, the physical tools are there with Stafford. I'd like to see a bit more consistency with him. And there appears to be some mechanics that need to be worked on. But, IMO, the potential is there. I just think it's going to be a matter of him landing in the right "situation", with a HC and QB coach that know how to develop QBs.

But as mentioned, seeing as how there is probably going to be several teams at, or near the top of the draft desperate for a QB, this might be a good year for him to come out early.
Yeah if Stafford's stock is that high he'd be crazy not to go.

I just he hasn't warranted it
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:06 AM    (permalink
KaneMarko
Veteran

KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KaneMarko is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
Yeah if Stafford's stock is that high he'd be crazy not to go.

I just he hasn't warranted it
Maybe, maybe not. But if he truly isn't worthy of the pick, it certainly won't be the first time a QB has gone higher than he truly deserves. Time will tell how worthy Stafford is of a top 3 pick. Like I said, I really like the physical tools he brings to the table. Just all the other stuff I want to see him improve on.
KaneMarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigG View Post
I just was wondering what makes Matt Stafford so highly rated. I'm not hating on the guy but he had an amazing O-line,running back, and defense last year and his numbers weren't outstanding. I think he is good, but what makes him a top 10 pick?

Yeah i would say read the whole thread and you probably would get good feedback.

Last year their receivers at UGA were brutal, not even in the same class as Boston Colleges and they were criticized in just about every conversation about Matt Ryan, add that to a team that has always been primarily a running team with an outstanding tailback (Knowshon Moreno). Stafford himself relied too much on pure ability and showed some bad habits in trying to force things and throwing off balance yada yada yada. This year the OL has been hurting because of injuries but they have found a super receiver in AJ Green and Matt has done a great job of setting his feet and stepping into his throws. I think there will be guys with much better stats but scouts want to see if you can lead a team, move around and make all the throws, he scores high in all those categories. Just my take.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got to see Georgia at Arizona St on ESPN360. I mostly watched Georgia's offensive snaps and skipped through the other crap. Some things i noticed about Stafford:

Stafford
Pros: Obviously has a legit arm. He really fired it into a couple tight windows and showed what he can do. He also looks like he's lost some bad weight, showing his commitment and hopefully improved work ethic. When he steps into his passes, he looks like the real deal. He also looks more poised and in control behind center, and the confidence shows in his eyes and facial expressions compared to years past where he looked nervous or unsure or had the deer in the headlights look.

Cons: He's still inconsistent with accuracy that stems from footwork. He threw off his back foot a couple times and put the ball in the turf in front of his reciever. He also had a number of quick screens and easy passes that pumped his numbers up a bit, but his execution on those plays was solid, as was his executing his fakes for the most part. One thing that I did notice from watching him closely is that he either reads the D before the play and knows where he's throwing at the snap right after the play-action, or he kept throwing to his first read, who just happened to be open. It's just that a number of times, he didnt snap his eyes through reads, he just threw the ball into tight coverage. Its tough to tell if he just locked onto the receiver or if he knew it would work out before hand and he had planned it that way. Personally, it looked to me like it was the latter and that he was showing very mature play. Should be easier to get a feel for his ability to make progressions against a better defense.

Ive been on record in the past as saying I didnt like him because he looked out of shape like he didnt put in the time in the weight room (something that made me liken him to Ryan Leaf). Hes proven me wrong so far and if he can prove it against a better D, I can be counted among his believers.

Last edited by hockey619 : 09-25-2008 at 10:23 AM.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:01 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneMarko View Post
Maybe, maybe not. But if he truly isn't worthy of the pick, it certainly won't be the first time a QB has gone higher than he truly deserves. Time will tell how worthy Stafford is of a top 3 pick. Like I said, I really like the physical tools he brings to the table. Just all the other stuff I want to see him improve on.
Of course not. Probably why the bust rate at QB is so high. These people evaluating talent are not objective. They care far too much about potential over production.

The highest rate of success are guys who have both the physical tools and have shown some semblance of getting it done on the field consistently.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM    (permalink
DreadedDatSkinsFan
Rookie

DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan DreadedDatSkinsFan

Stafford is a beast IMO...Him and Sanchez.....Tebow...Not so much...
DreadedDatSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
STARHEATHER
Veteran

STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER

you must have missed sanchez last night. the idea of that dude running an nfl offense for my team. the horror! although not a lock, we could see stafford debunked in the next few weeks starting saturday. i see some picks struggles and losses in staffords future. i expect his status to plumet. without that running game protecting him i see stafford being exposed very shortly, most likely in the next 24 hrs
STARHEATHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:09 PM    (permalink
adschofield
Pro Bowler

adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.adschofield is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
you must have missed sanchez last night. the idea of that dude running an nfl offense for my team. the horror! although not a lock, we could see stafford debunked in the next few weeks starting saturday. i see some picks struggles and losses in staffords future. i expect his status to plumet. without that running game protecting him i see stafford being exposed very shortly, most likely in the next 24 hrs
Josh Freeman blows

sig by BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.
adschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Quote:
Of course not. Probably why the bust rate at QB is so high. These people evaluating talent are not objective. They care far too much about potential over production.

The highest rate of success are guys who have both the physical tools and have shown some semblance of getting it done on the field consistently.
Biggest reason for bust rates is teams not being patient with QBS. QBS landing on terrible teams. Reaches take QBS who are truly second rounders in the first because of need.
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:00 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Stafford showed everything you'd want in an NFL QB against Arizona State. Some of the throws he's made this year are just incredible. I said Jay Cutler was the best QB I've seen since Philip Rivers, but Matt Stafford is developing into the best QB I've ever seen. I'll say Rivers is still better than him at this point, but by the end of the season he could be my top rated QB from any draft. He's the #1 prospect on my board with Vonte Davis in a very close second.

Georgia may be the most talented team in the country. I think they have the best FS in the country and the best WR in the country. AJ Green is a future top 5 prospect. Jones, the FS, reminds me like a bigger, and faster Ed Reed. Asher Allen covers like Charles Woodson. He's a first round CB this year. The O-Line and D-Line is young, and at this point, not very good. Knoshown is simply one of the quickest RBs you're going to see. Put him in a ZBS... behind a good O-line... wow. Stud.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:13 PM    (permalink
jetsfan0099
Rookie

jetsfan0099 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Stafford is a beast. I was watching him and he makes amazing throws. His WRs drop a lot of his passes too, like he had the perfect throw to the corner of the endzone right into his WRs hands but the dude dropped the pass. I wish so much that the Jets could land Stafford, I would do anything for us finally to get a young franchise caliber QB to develop and watch grow like how Jay Cutler is doing, I wish we drafted him in 06, he was my favorite player in that draft. I knew he was going to be the real deal, the Ravens look pretty stupid for sayings hes just another Kyle Boller..
jetsfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

Matthew Stafford is clearly not ready to go to the next level.

If the scouts are drinking his kool-aid he needs to take the money and run with it.

But he is not ready right now. Not even close. Far too inconsistent in terms of decisions.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Matthew Stafford is clearly not ready to go to the next level.
I agree. From what I've seen, it would definitely be in his best interest to stick around for his senior year.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

True. But I'm not sure another year would help him.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
STARHEATHER
Veteran

STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER STARHEATHER

myth-busted. he throws a decent ball. thats about it at this point. maybe 2 years from now come draft time if he learns how to move an offense and how to play qb he MAY possibly have a shot at the nfl level. any pressure hes clueless and inept. just hasnt proven to be able to get it done. hes a clean shirt guy. looks great when his shirt stays clean. but that doesnt happen much in the nfl. have to be able to get it done under duress. needs to and will come back
Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said since the beginning of the season that Stafford needs to stay for another year. That said, his detractors are too harsh on him. Too many people on this board want to crucify him when he makes a bad decision or doesn't put the ball directly on the numbers. Yet, when he makes an awesome throw they quiet down and say little or nothing. I've seen plenty of this so far this year.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^ Agreed.

He has a lot of work, but he does some really incredible things with the ball, and flashes brilliance a lot.

I think he could only go up if he returns for his senior season, this isn't a situation where he's blowing it away as a junior, only to have a let down as a senior. He is inconsistent now, and a bit of seasoning for he and his receivers will help a lot.

AJ Green is really good.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I've said since the beginning of the season that Stafford needs to stay for another year. That said, his detractors are too harsh on him. Too many people on this board want to crucify him when he makes a bad decision or doesn't put the ball directly on the numbers. Yet, when he makes an awesome throw they quiet down and say little or nothing. I've seen plenty of this so far this year.
Matt Stafford is getting the Brady Quinn/Matt Ryan treatment from the past few years. People will criticize the littlest things about him, but they fail to look at him as a whole.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alabama 41, Georgia 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
John Parker Wilson ftw.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He doesn't need to come back for his senior season and he won't. Playing behind that porous offensive line at least he will be right at home when he gets to Detroit or KC. He actually showed me a lot tonight, a lot of guys would have looked for a hole to crawl in with that pathetic effort by his o-line.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
STARHEATHER
Veteran

exactly and one was a punt return. and he had 3 garbage time tds. the book is closed. maybe in 2 years the book can be reopened. he doesnt know how to play qb. not nearly ready for the nfl level. you have people saying hes the best qb and first overall pick blah blah. the book is closed. not near enough right now.the dude throws the ball hard. but his accuracy is not good nor his decision making. he has happy feet and when pressured is highly ineffective. he doesnt stand in tough the pocket and go through his progressions and hit that 3rd guy, choosing to move with limited athleticism and make arm throws off his back foot. he doesnt hang tough in the pocket and stand and fire when he knows hes going to get hit. hes definitely not mentally ready and not "qb tough" enough for the nfl level. and his arm is strong but his accuracy is spotty. maybe he needs to learn a bit more and get more tough. but after 3 years of starting youd figure hed have developed those traits if hes an nfl qb. so well see. as for now, the book is closed. maybe to be reopened down the road, if he improves on his multiple deficiencies
Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 PM    (permalink
STARHEATHER
Veteran

blame it on the o line blame it on the recievers. excuses excuses. it was his game to win. they werent going to be able to run it. it was on him,when the spotlight was on and he didnt deliver. some will just continue to believe until its too late.