Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum

Cincinnati Bengals Team Forum Who dey gonna discuss dem Bengals?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default LB core (Rivers to WLB)

I have no idea where it was announced but Hobson seems to say it's for sure...

Quote:
1. LINEBACKERS: Now that No. 1 pick Keith Rivers is written in granite at the WILL for at least the next five years, how do they line up everybody else?

They appear to still be toying with combinations. Dhani Jones, their most experienced backer and designated signal caller, looked to be the WILL before the draft and he has to be on the field some place at the beginning.

He's not really a SAM, but Ahmad Brooks can be at 270 pounds. So they can take Brooks out of the middle, put him at SAM and put Jones in the middle.

Right after the draft there had been some thinking that they could put Rivers in the middle and flank him with Brooks and Jones as Odell Thurman learned the WILL behind Jones. But this way, Rivers gets to stay at the spot he played in college and Thurman can stay in the middle, where he nearly won NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2005.

But Thurman hasn't played in a game since and that will make him Tuesday's lead story line. After two years of being on the shelf, just how far away is he going to look?

This is also the first time they line up without Landon Johnson, gone to free agency and Carolina after he started at least 10 games at each backer spot during his four solid seasons. They don't seem to have anyone like that. They've either got the big names who haven't strung anything together yet, like Rivers, Brooks and Thurman, or young veterans trying to get a foothold in the league like Corey Mays and two pickups from Arizona in Darryl Blackstock and Brandon Johnson.

Tuesday also marks the return of the promising Eric Henderson, whose move from defensive end to SAM last year was cut short by a wrist injury in preseason.

Rivers won't be here this week because of rules preventing rookies from practicing until May 20, but he'll be back at WILL a week from Tuesday.

If they switched Brooks to SAM, he would be in a dogfight with one of their most productive young players in Rashad Jeanty, their most experienced Bengal backer with 22 games.

It's unclear who is going to be here for that first workout Tuesday. Jones, on one of his junkets with the Travel Channel, had a hurling match Saturday in Ireland. Thurman is dealing with family matters back in Georgia.
I'm curious to see how things play out. I mean, do you start Jones off in the middle and Ahmad outside? Then just assume/hope Odell takes his spot in the middle back? In the grand scheme of things this is for the best but I'd like to see how things play out. Jeanty would be a FINE backup, both him and Ahmad have yet to prove they can consistantly stay healthy so putting them both outside could be for the best.

I'm hoping beyond hope we can get the big 3 out there for a big chunkload of games.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Aftermath
Veteran

Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.

I hope midway through the season we have Brooks, Thurman and Rivers out there together wrecking everything.

If they pan out, we have one of if not the best young LB corps.

Sig by yours truly.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:20 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope and fully expect that we will eventually have Rivers at WLB, Brooks at SLB and Thurman at MLB. Thurman is a natural in the middle and i think he needs to stay there, especially since Brooks is athletic enough to play at any of the LB spots. Needless to say, I'm excited to see what happens...
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rivers is a natural WLB. He's gonna be a beast for the Bengals.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

BengalMedic hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

They can say "granite" all they want, but we all know how soft granite will get when the injury bug bites !!!
BengalMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:41 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guns don't kill people. Keith Rivers kills people.

Rivers, Thurman, Brooks would be a nice Linebacker scheme. Though I fully understand if Jones plays some time before Thurman. Thurman has to get back in the groove of things and get back in shape. Rivers will be a beastly LB hopefully and maybe he can rub off on Thurman and brooks and make them team leaders.
StripedWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripedWalrus View Post
Rivers, Thurman, Brooks would be a nice Linebacker scheme. Though I fully understand if Jones plays some time before Thurman. Thurman has to get back in the groove of things and get back in shape. Rivers will be a beastly LB hopefully and maybe he can rub off on Thurman and brooks and make them team leaders.
I fully expect Jones to start the season off, but that will soon change when Thurman returns to "himself". I think it would be a bad idea to move Thurman out of the middle, especially since he hasn't played in 2+ years. He is a natural MLB and we need to keep him there.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
lost33cause
Rookie

lost33cause hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Who says Odell isn't ready to start now? He's been working out since Feb. with the strength coaches. Instincts are a natural thing so basically its down to learning the playbook. I fully expect Rivers to be the one calling the plays this year so Brooks and Thurman can just worry about making plays. I hope everything works out there but I have confidence in the back ups we have as well.

The entire article is pretty good so in case you don't goto bengals.com often heres the link

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6787
lost33cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:30 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ya I've been preaching that too lostcause. Odell will be fine as far as playing football goes but he will need to get into "Football Shape" and the only way to do that is by being at practice which he will be. It's like riding a bike.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Odell is a game changing LB. When he is in offenses have to make sure they know where he is on the field at all times. He will start week one probably through the destruction of opposing teams during preseason.
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:47 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the only thing that will hold Odell back will be our coaching staff.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

lets hope the coaches dont hold him back because we need him to complete our LB core and make it one of the league's best
Old 05-13-2008, 02:49 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Zim and Fitz would hold Odell back. He should thrive
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

I'm happy to see all the undoubted faith in Odell and I for one am hoping everyone is right and that he comes back to be that force. I'm just not willing to put all of my eggs in the proverbial basket. Yes, ability and instincts are just something you have or not, but we are talking about a guy that has been out of football for 2 years now, has gone through some issues in his personal life, and none of us have any idea how that time was spent away from the game. Yes, he has been in with the strength coaches since earlier this year, but what exactly does that do for you. There is a big difference from being in shape and being in "football shape" taking hits day in and day out.

Once again, I'm hoping to see the old Odell wanting to prove something to the fans and organization that have supported him through this time in his life. I'm also hoping he will be the force and attitude this defense has lacked. All that being said, there is just no way to know for sure what we are going to get out of him. All I can say is, I'm hoping and praying for the best out of Odell !!!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:45 PM    (permalink
AkiliSmith
Veteran

AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At OTAs today Jones was at MIKE and Brooks played SAM

So it looks like:
Weak - Rivers
Middle - Jones
Strong - Brooks

Is how we will look to start the season. That is until Thurman gets back up to speed.
AkiliSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds about right. In the grand scheme of things it's the best way to go for all involved.

I think Ahmad could be a good MLB but it's a matter of grasping where he's supposed to be plus he's already worked at SLB here. Then of course Odell is best suited for MLB, I think that's the biggest thing. It'd almost be a crime to put him elsewhere.

I know they keep preaching they're not counting on him but given this setup they're anticipating him taking over the starting gig eventually. What a beautiful thing it would be.

Let me also add that Ahmad at SLB is best because then you have Jeanty backing him up. Jeanty would be a great backup and Ahmad has had trouble staying healthy (last year and his last year in college).

EDIT: I'm assuming Ahmad is at 100% now?
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.StripedWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am hoping he is at 100%. If he is he is beastly. I think Thurman is not at the camps right now. His Grandmother (I think Grandmother might be mother) died or is really sick. I can't remember exactly but he is taking care of that right now. He may surprise us all at training camp and be the starter. In which case I would not want to be facing a Rivers, Thurman, Brooks, LB corp.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:05 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

His grandmother's funeral was on Monday but it looks like he is going to be back this week. It's pretty nice to see them move Ahmad to SLB and Dhani inside because it looks like they expect Odell to eventually become the starter at MLB.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Well according to the article on the .com site, Brooks still wasn't 100% with his injury and they had Jeanty most of the snaps. They need to ensure they take their time with getting Brooks back. They can hardly afford him being injured for the whole season at this point...
Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
StripedWalrus
Pro Bowler

yea I saw that too Bmedic. I think if Jeanty and Brooks share time at the spot at the beginning of the season it isnt too bad. Some Brooks is better than no Brooks.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:56 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Ya they need to make sure that he is fully healthy and it looks like they are thus far.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Desert
Rookie

Desert hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I expect Rivers to do for our LBs what Tatupu did in Seattle, and provide stability so Brooks (providing he stays healthy) and eventually Thurman can make the plays. I hope he'll be our #55 anchor-of-the-defense type for more than a decade, but there are a number of things that need to go right for that to happen. All that said, I'm excited about what he'll bring to the team.
Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 AM    (permalink
BengalMedic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert View Post
I expect Rivers to do for our LBs what Tatupu did in Seattle, and provide stability so Brooks (providing he stays healthy) and eventually Thurman can make the plays. I hope he'll be our #55 anchor-of-the-defense type for more than a decade, but there are a number of things that need to go right for that to happen. All that said, I'm excited about what he'll bring to the team.
Minus the whole DUI thing though !!!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:49 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Doesn't seem like the type, but then again neither does Tatupu.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

I just hope Ahmad stays healthy and he can make the team. Injuries are his biggest problem now.