Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:48 AM    (permalink
Larry
Veteran

Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.Larry is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Jeff Ulbrich possibly Moran Norris, Ashley Lelie, Maybe Jonas Jennings those are the only ones I can think of
We're so thin at Tackle it's pretty foolish to even mention Jennings. Lelie, Norris and Ulbrich aren't taking up much cap space, if the Niners wanted to cut those three they would've done it by now.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 AM    (permalink
AtariBigby
Veteran

AtariBigby AtariBigby AtariBigby

NO way does KGB get the axe..... he's still a talented DE pass rusher and we have plenty of cap $$$ to pay him as such.
AtariBigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Wyndham
Rookie

Wyndham hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
Doubt anyone would be cut for the Packers because we are about 20 million under the cap. We will possible resign our big name players instead.
This is the second time I've seen you post this. It's not true. The Packers are not the youngest team in the NFL.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually, I think they are. If not the youngest, top 3 then.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never got the youngest in the NFL thing. I wonder what the difference is in days between the youngest team and like the 15th youngest team. If its like a few months worth of days or if its several years. Every team has a ton of young players.

The real issue is will those young guys reach their potential(Rodgers,Harrell etc), some will like Jennings for example and most importantly can you keep them under contract. Some of the young guys might be gone via free agency/cut/injured. So many things can happen. Plus what happens when the few old guys finally stop producing(Woodson,Harris,Driver,now Favre gone).
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentN View Post
I thought he did well last year?
Well, he was cut today, so I guess the Raiders coaches weren't thinking too highly of him. I always thought Stu got a rough deal because so many runners were let into his area the past few seasons, and he isn't really a run support player. But he didn't seem to be able to progress or adjust well, he just got frustrated and benched.

Since Branch was drafted, if not before that, he became nothing more than a special teams gunner.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Wyndham
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Actually, I think they are. If not the youngest, top 3 then.
Probably among the top three, although things could shake out differently, but KC is the youngest team in the NFL. I'd venture to say that, come September, they'll have the youngest starting offense, youngest starting defense and youngest 53-man roster.

Quote:
I never got the youngest in the NFL thing. I wonder what the difference is in days between the youngest team and like the 15th youngest team. If its like a few months worth of days or if its several years. Every team has a ton of young players.
Not necessarily true, and the variance is significant. Not quite so much when a 53-man roster is filled out by a few kids, but especially when considering starting lineups there's a big difference between most teams.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndham View Post
This is the second time I've seen you post this. It's not true. The Packers are not the youngest team in the NFL.
No, it is true.

Link

Quote:
The Packers were the NFL's youngest team this season, and several of their key players are locked into long-term deals. Thompson just got a contract extension, and McCarthy is expected to sign his new deal this week.
Article was written before Brett retired (April 11, 2008). Can't really say anyone is the youngest team for the 08 season because everyone has to go through cuts still.

Edit: This is the best I could find for average age, just the top 5

Other Link

Quote:
PACKERS ONCE AGAIN LEAGUE'S YOUNGEST TEAM
-Green Bay has the distinction of being the NFL's youngest team for the second straight season.

-Since taking over general manager duties in 2005, Ted Thompson has vowed to build the team's foundation through the draft. Of the 53 active roster players, 18 have been drafted by Thompson.

-Each team's average age is based upon its opening-day roster. A look at the five youngest teams in 2007:

Team: Average Age
Green Bay: 26 years, 89 days
Indianapolis: 26 years, 91 days
N.Y. Giants: 26 years, 190 days
Dallas: 26 years, 197 days
Carolina: 26 years, 252 days
- Statistics provided by Elias Sports Bureau
[Dated January 2, 2008]

Thanks to BK for the sig

Last edited by umphrey : 05-21-2008 at 02:36 PM.
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Probably among the top three, although things could shake out differently, but KC is the youngest team in the NFL. I'd venture to say that, come September, they'll have the youngest starting offense, youngest starting defense and youngest 53-man roster.

Not necessarily true, and the variance is significant. Not quite so much when a 53-man roster is filled out by a few kids, but especially when considering starting lineups there's a big difference between most teams.
Actually, Geo is right and you are wrong. Packers are #1, KC #3. And if you plan on playing Boone, Edwards and Surtain, you can forget about having the youngest starting defense.

I've made an Excel document with all the ages of the NFL teams.

nfl player age.xls - 1.19MB

..........Team.............Avg

1.........Packers.........25.04
2.........Colts.............25.37
3.........Chiefs...........25.47
4.........Bills..............25.62
5.........Falcons.........25.66
6.........Bears............25.71
7.........Bengals.........25.73
8.........Eagles..........25.85
9.........Steelers........25.93
10.......Panthers.......25.95
11.......Cowboys.......26.04
12.......Dolphins........26.12
13.......Browns.........26.12
14.......Jaguars.........26.14
15.......Chargers........26.14
16.......Titans...........26.15
17.......49ers............26.16
18.......Raiders..........26.18
19.......Ravens.........26.19
20.......Vikings.........26.25
21.......Jets.............26.27
22.......Rams............26.35
23.......Texans.........26.35
24.......Lions............26.38
25.......Seahawks.....26.45
26.......Cardinals.......26.46
27.......Giants..........26.5
28.......Broncos........26.56
29.......Buccaneeers..26.58
30.......Redskins........26.72
31.......Saints...........26.8
32.......Patriots.........27.22

This is using the current rosters as reported by ESPN.com. Of course we can't do a true roster analysis until just before the start of the season since every team has a ton of players who won't make the opening day rosters.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Wyndham
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
No, it is true.

Link
I'm not talking about last year. That's in the books. I'm talking about right now.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:47 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not talking about last year. That's in the books. I'm talking about right now.
Ok how can we get older with the retirements of Brett Favre and Davis? We only have 6 players above the age of 30. The only team that could be younger are the Falcons with all the cuts they did this year.

Last edited by PACKmanN : 05-21-2008 at 06:50 PM.
PACKmanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And as I just pointed out, the Packers are still younger right now than the Chiefs.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Wyndham
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Actually, Geo is right and you are wrong. Packers are #1, KC #3.
I can't open an XLS file on my computer now, but I'll look into it tomorrow, and I' willing to bet the roster for KC has many glaring errors.

If there are TWO teams with a legitimate younger projected 53-man roster than KC, I'll ban myself from ever posting here again.

Quote:
And if you plan on playing Boone, Edwards and Surtain, you can forget about having the youngest starting defense.
Which defenses in the NFL start 11 rookies?

In KC you're looking at Hali (2 years played), Dorsey (R), Tyler (1), McBride (1), Johnson (3), Harris (6), Williams (4) or Edwards (11), Surtain (10), Flowers (R), and two of Page (2), Pollard (2) and Morgan (R).

Find it hard to believe there are many, if any, younger groups than that.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Zbikowski_9
Rookie

Zbikowski_9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Who cares about the ages, the difference in the averages is 2 years at max, having a bunch of young guys does not mean they will be with that team the rest of their careers, or that they will even pan out to become good. You have to look at it in context, are people ageing at the same time (don't want to have a flurry of retirements), are they locked up (don't want to develope a young guy just to watch him pick up a big deal at another club, and ar you young a key postions and distributed across the board (You may be super young in secondary, but have 3 old men at QB)

What i am trying to say is that this is blown out of perpotrion, it is good to have young guys, but just looking at their average age is totaly useless. It would be better to judge by saying "hay Team X has got a good young group with lots of talent at QB, WR and LT and this unit will be on contract for another 4 years so it will be good to watch them develop, rather than saying, "our back ups are younger than yours!" or "your team is just as young but you have a couple good old guys that push your averae up so you are old"

It is all very silly
Zbikowski_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Wyndham
Rookie

Quote:
And as I just pointed out, the Packers are still younger right now than the Chiefs.
As you just pointed out, it's impossible to say for sure but KC's projected 53-man roster is younger than Green Bay's.

Quote:
Ok how can we get older with the retirements of Brett Favre and Davis?
Because ... uh ... everyone gets older?

Quote:
The only team that could be younger are the Falcons with all the cuts they did this year.
Very generic and questionable statement.

KC cut a hell of a lot of older guys, drafted 12 rookies who should all make the team, nevermind UDFAs. The oldest free agent they signed was 27.

Obviously we'll have to re-visit this thread in September, but I can assure folks that KC will be the youngest team in the league. It's nothing much to be proud of; it is what it is. KC's going young.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:33 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

So how does that only work for us and not for the Chiefs??? I'm saying that the 2 oldest players on our roster retired and yet you still believe you have the youngest team...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David Barrett

Jets
Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
So how does that only work for us and not for the Chiefs??? I'm saying that the 2 oldest players on our roster retired and yet you still believe you have the youngest team...
The Chiefs did draft 3 more players than Green Bay, but I'm not sure if NIP's calculations count UDFA's or tryout players.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It all comes down to who makes the roster. You're never going to accurately predict every NFL team's final 53. You can argue all you want about your 11 defensive starters, I don't really care, because it doesn't matter much out of the 53. Besides it doesn't matter at all if one team is on average 50 days younger than another team, or 100 days, or whatever.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Hwoarang
Veteran

Hwoarang is a cocksman.Hwoarang is a cocksman.Hwoarang is a cocksman.

You can add Devery Henderson to the list.
Quote:
Devery Henderson-WR- Saints May. 25 - 9:46 am et

Devery Henderson is reportedly in danger of being cut by the Saints.

Henderson's continued his usual drops at OTAs, and with Robert Meachem coming on, there is stiff competition for the Saints' No. 3/deep threat job. With Adrian Arrington also impressing, Lance Moore's roster spot is tenuous.
Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune
Related: Lance Moore, Robert Meachem, Adrian Arrington

from rotoworld
Hwoarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the Patriots, not really many people. Rosevelt Colvin already got cut, so...probably punters not named Dragosavich, or at least that's most likely.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

June 1st isn't really a relative date anymore considering all the cap room under the new (soon to be old) CBA. Teams cut the guys they want to much earlier than June 1st now and have enough room under the cap so cap casualties aren't as numerous anymore.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Henderson is still dropping passes, he's a goner...Hell its OTA's right now, I don't know what his problem is but he used to have alot better concentration, now he's basically Troy Williamson...A guy who stretches the field but can't catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As you just pointed out, it's impossible to say for sure but KC's projected 53-man roster is younger than Green Bay's.

Very generic and questionable statement.

KC cut a hell of a lot of older guys, drafted 12 rookies who should all make the team, nevermind UDFAs. The oldest free agent they signed was 27.

Obviously we'll have to re-visit this thread in September, but I can assure folks that KC will be the youngest team in the league. It's nothing much to be proud of; it is what it is. KC's going young.
Dude, you just got proved wrong. Get over it.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
If Henderson is still dropping passes, he's a goner...Hell its OTA's right now, I don't know what his problem is but he used to have alot better concentration, now he's basically Troy Williamson...A guy who stretches the field but can't catch.
Devery Henderson might be bad but please don't compare him to Troy Williamson. Henderson has shown he can tear a defense apart at times (Bucs, Falcons & Cowboys in 2006 come to mind)... which is something that can't really be said for Williamson. And, Henderson was a second round pick and not a top 10 pick.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote