Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2009 Falcons Draft Discussion

We will probably be picking top 10 for sure. Most likely, top 3. If we do so, can anyone make an argument as to why we shouldnt pick Michael Oher?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only way I wouldn't take him is if Sam Baker surprises the world and plays really well.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
We will probably be picking top 10 for sure. Most likely, top 3. If we do so, can anyone make an argument as to why we shouldnt pick Michael Oher?

Yes. Sam Baker. We traded up and gave up a pretty penny to get him. If he sucks or not, he will get more then one year. It would be simply stupid to give up that much in a trade for a RT. Or if we keep Oher at RT we'd be paying a RT more then big-time LT's get, which is once again stupid. And this is coming from a guy who loves Oher. I just don't see us moving Sam Baker that easy.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys, don't assume you're gettin the first overall pick. One of the arguments Jets fans had against drafting D'Brickashaw Ferguson was that they weren't going to be any better that upcoming season, so they'd be able to draft Joe Thomas the next year.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:03 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Sam Baker a lot, and I think he's going to be a LOT better than people say...his arms just plain and simple are NOT that short. Sure they're not ideal, but no lineman in the draft has half the footwork of Baker. The Pac 10 is no longer a slouch conference, and look what happened when Baker dropped...not the QB...BAKER was the key to that, when he came back USC started winning again, when he was out, that was when they lost. JDB wasn't the issue, it was Baker.

That being said, Michael Oher would still be a great pickup.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:34 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He does have very short arms. That has caused problems for a lot of tackles over the years, like Robert Gallery. But some players like Matt Light have succeeded with short arms, although I do believe Light is a bit overrated.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:05 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lights terribly overrated in my opinion.

I know we traded up for Baker, but unless he does an excellent job at LT, I still think Oher is too much value at the top of the draft to pass up. Baker has great versatility and should be able to be plugged into guard or maybe even RT. This would leave us with a core of young players (Oher, Blalock, Baker) to anchor our line for Turner, Norwood, and Ryan.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 05-31-2008, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hope you don't mind me butting in as I saw the thread from the main forum. but, so much changes during the season, both college and NFL. How can say your team has to do anything? Oher could end up like Baker in a year, or the Falcons may pick up some UDFA or FA who is sick.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're probably going to find out the deal with Baker really soon, assuming he wins the LT job coming out of camp. His division foes at RDE are Will Smith, Gaines Adams, and Julius Peppers. As I see it, there's probably a good chance that one could make a decent decision on Baker's future at LT after one year, because he's either going to be suitable against that competition or not, and it isn't like he's considered a long term project or anything.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:06 PM    (permalink
catcher_0_3
Rookie

catcher_0_3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm with JBond on this one. There is no way to predict what kind of draft pick next year. For all we know our team could be the next worst to first story in the NFC South. Our front seven could turn out to be pretty dang good and everyone knows, you build from the inside out (cough Glen Dorsey). JK Matt Ryan, I'm jumping on your band wagon now that you are a Falcon.
catcher_0_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:31 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

I understand that there are many things that will change, but I think as of now, Oher has to be at the top of the board right now.I didnt mean to say that his regardless of his stock and FA aquisitions or trades we have to pick him. I just think that right now, unless Baker does extremely well (I agree with Paranoid. He was a 4 year starter at USC and is very developed. Either he succeeds or he doesnt) Oher has to be number 1 on our boards, not a DT or DE or WR.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:11 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not against him, but with the stud DTs coming out, I'm not sure how one of them couldn't be up there as well. I know Oher is the most prototypical LT the world has ever seen or whatever, but he hasn't done it on Sunday's yet, there's just no tellin.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's way too early to speculate at this point.
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Who cares. Its fun to speculate anyway.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure how good a pick that would be, what would happen with Sam Baker? Move to left guard? It would be a waste to draft Oher with a high pick only to play him at right tackle, it's not like Matt Ryan is left-handed.

Better course of action would be the best defensive lineman on the board, maybe.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Well I am under the assumption that we are getting a top3 pick and there are no defensive tackles worth that spot. Defensive tackle is by far our biggest need (I am very much not looking forward to the season with the DTs we have. RBs are going to be going for 5+ yards a carry), and if theres a guy who makes his stock that high, then we should take him.

But otherwise, who would you suggest we take with a top3 pick?

Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well I am under the assumption that we are getting a top3 pick and there are no defensive tackles worth that spot. Defensive tackle is by far our biggest need (I am very much not looking forward to the season with the DTs we have. RBs are going to be going for 5+ yards a carry), and if theres a guy who makes his stock that high, then we should take him.

But otherwise, who would you suggest we take with a top3 pick?

CRABTREE!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:44 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WE DONT NEED A DAMN WIDE RECEIVER!!! WE GET OHER!!! Oher would make our line that much better. imagine this as our OL:
Oher-Blalock-McClure-Clabo-Baker

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No offense to Oher but if you all are picking top 3 and want an OT, Andre Smith from Alabama is the man to go with should he declare. He's the next Orando Pace and in my opinion in the running for #1 overall pick should he declare
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:01 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
WE DONT NEED A DAMN WIDE RECEIVER!!! WE GET OHER!!! Oher would make our line that much better. imagine this as our OL:
Oher-Blalock-McClure-Clabo-Baker

We don't need to select a RT in the 20s! We'd do that if we take Oher however.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:12 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

You cant pass up the best talent in the draft because you traded up to get a versatile LT in the previous year. Baker's presence should still be felt on the line, and he will be able to provide great depth in case of injury to any of our guys.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:56 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
You cant pass up the best talent in the draft because you traded up to get a versatile LT in the previous year. Baker's presence should still be felt on the line, and he will be able to provide great depth in case of injury to any of our guys.
You are claiming him to be the best talent already? As much as I like him, we are still a year away, and he is still raw. And Baker is a LT. There's no doubt about it. That's where he belongs. Trading up in the first round, letting him play a year at his position, then moving him to a new foreign spot wouldn't be smart at all.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who said Oher would be the best talent in the draft? The guy isn't even a sure fire LT prospect. There are still plenty of people in the scouting community who feel he may be best suited playing inside in the NFL. Alabama Jr LT Andre Smith is the best OT prospect in college football right now. He's an Orlando Pace clone
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:39 AM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
We don't need to select a RT in the 20s! We'd do that if we take Oher however.
what's wrong with selecting a OL that we desperately needi n the 20's? we need talent on the line. and even if Baker moves to RT or if we are arounf 10=15 this year and take a RT like Smith or in the 2nd take Loadholt, we will still spend a top 2 round pick on a RT. we need OL. we have skill positions. why waste a draft pick on a position of ZERO NEED. maybe if you said a DT that would work but WE DONT NEED A WIDE RECEIVER.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Last edited by Geo : 06-17-2008 at 10:46 AM.
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:49 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
what's wrong with selecting a OL that we desperately needi n the 20's? we need talent on the line. and even if Baker moves to RT or if we are arounf 10=15 this year and take a RT like Smith or in the 2nd take Loadholt, we will still spend a top 2 round pick on a RT. we need OL. we have skill positions. why waste a draft pick on a position of ZERO NEED. maybe if you said a DT that would work but WE DONT NEED A WIDE RECEIVER.

We have skill positions? We have Roddy "1 year" White. Everyone wanted him cut at the beginning of the season.. We have Laurent Robinson and his whopping 37 catches last year. Michael "Pick 6" Jenkins who is a major bust and Finneran who is coming off big injuries. And Harry Douglas who at best is a slot WR. Is there some potential in the top two? For sure. Espically if White repeats. It doesn't look like enough to ignore a talent like Crabtree though.