Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:36 AM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Top 5 Defenders in NFL

Who are your top 5 NFL Defenders? Mine are as follows in no particular order...

Shawn Merriman(A freak of nature but in my opinion is best used as a pass rusher and not a cover LB)
Bob Sanders(Very versatile safety who can stop the run and cover)
Brian Urlacher(When healthy he is the best all around LB in the game)
Ed Reed(Along with Sanders is the best safety in the game)
Albert Haynesworth(When this guy is on his game, he is the most dominant D-lineman)

indyfan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id say
Urlacher, Reed, Asomugha, Bailey and i do like Mario Williams but i dont think he fits in here yet

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:43 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan1985 View Post
Who are your top 5 NFL Defenders? Mine are as follows in no particular order...

Shawn Merriman(A freak of nature but in my opinion is best used as a pass rusher and not a cover LB)
Bob Sanders(Very versatile safety who can stop the run and cover)
Brian Urlacher(When healthy he is the best all around LB in the game)
Ed Reed(Along with Sanders is the best safety in the game)
Albert Haynesworth(When this guy is on his game, he is the most dominant D-lineman)
Yeah that's a pretty good list. There's probably some defensive ends you can throw in their too when they're healthy. Champ Bailey and Demarcus Ware maybe as well.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DeMarcus Ware - His versatility is amazing, the same pass rusher that Merriman is and does alot more.

Mario Williams - On his way to becoming the most dominant RE in the game.

Ed Reed - He just understands the game, incredible awareness, great hands, does everything.

Brian Urlacher - Top to bottom has everything you look for in a defender.

Tommie Harris - Probably the best 3 technique in the game, plays the game with incredible intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.indyfan1985 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
DeMarcus Ware - His versatility is amazing, the same pass rusher that Merriman is and does alot more.

Mario Williams - On his way to becoming the most dominant RE in the game.

Ed Reed - He just understands the game, incredible awareness, great hands, does everything.

Brian Urlacher - Top to bottom has everything you look for in a defender.

Tommie Harris - Probably the best 3 technique in the game, plays the game with incredible intensity.
I dont agree with either Mario Williams or Tommie Harris. I think Mario isnt at that top 5 level yet, and Tommie is not the best DT in the game. That would belong to Haynesworth. Harris is probably a top 3 DT though.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:15 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I dont agree with either Mario Williams or Tommie Harris. I think Mario isnt at that top 5 level yet, and Tommie is not the best DT in the game. That would belong to Haynesworth. Harris is probably a top 3 DT though.
That could be argued, at the end of last year Mario started to put it all together and looked nearly unblockable, and Tommie Harris looked just as disruptive as AH a year ago, he was hurt nearly this whole past season, but the year before he was in the backfield and disrupting plays just the same as Albert...He might not have his brute strength, but he is quicker off the line, and again depending on who you ask could be the best 3 tech in the game right now...I prefer Tommie Harris over Haynesworth when both guys are healthy.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TBH and not biased Tommie Harris proved more than Haynesworth IMO. Harris played at a top level basically every year where as Haynesworth had one incredible year. If Haynesworth keeps up this kind of production id look at him and say he is the Top DT but atm for me he is not the best DT.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jared Allen - The most unstoppable defensive end in the league

Albert Haynesworth- Had the best year for a defensive tackle I have seen in my lifetime, then again I'm only 19, last year

Nnamdi Asomugha - No one wants to go anywhere near him

Bob Sanders - Great against the pass, great against the run, and has an intensity that maybe 2-3 other players in the league have

Brian Urlacher - The best linebacker in the league
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No Particular Order

Nnamdi Asomugha - covers like a blanket, eliminating one side of the field, and plays the run well.

Champ Bailey - Not necessarily based off last year, but when 100% has proven to be the top corner (right now top 2). Great coverage, and good run support.

2 corners are in here because so much relies on them

DeMarcus Ware - great pass rusher, good tackler, solid in coverage. You can rely on him in every situation and he excels

Roy Williams - S, Dallas Cowboys - i know he gets a lot of bad pub, but the guy is a monster. He stops the run, and NEVER gets beaten deep. Everytime it looks like its him, its just him covering for someone else.

Jared Allen - Although he really has only 1 big year, i'm pretty sold on last year. He didn't have much else for teams to worry about on the defense, and he was an absolute monster. Sacks, FF, and just big plays in general. He now has a monster line beside him and i'm very intrigued to see what happens.

Albert Haynesworth - You have to have a DT in the list of top 5 defensive players, and Big Albert was an absolute beast down in the trenches. He made the whole defense better, and really suprised a lot of people. If he can play like that on a regular basis, watch out.

As you can see, i didn't take any S or typical LBs. This is not to say that they aren't important. But i believe that corner is the position that can be abused the most and be seen as getting burned. Those 2 guys are the top of the class and change the entire plan on offense (when 100%).

Ware's overall skill in all facets makes him the total package. The hybrid LB-DE

Then u need ur dominant pass rusher, who i feel is Allen after last year, and a DT who is Haynesworth. The trenches are where the big boys come to play and getting a guy who can eat blockers and rush the QB is something that influences everything an offense does.

Sure a S and LB can play both the pass and the run, and needs to be accounted for. By no means do i mean to ignore Reed and Sanders, or any of those all facet LBs, but i just feel that these 5 guys are players that offenses focus on during the week to eliminate. I may change my mind even later today, but right now this is what i come to.

For the record, i'm obviously just messing with everyone about Roy Williams. I expect a few responses flaming me because they respond before they read this far.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
No Particular Order

Nnamdi Asomugha - covers like a blanket, eliminating one side of the field, and plays the run well.

Champ Bailey - Not necessarily based off last year, but when 100% has proven to be the top corner (right now top 2). Great coverage, and good run support.

2 corners are in here because so much relies on them

DeMarcus Ware - great pass rusher, good tackler, solid in coverage. You can rely on him in every situation and he excels

Roy Williams - S, Dallas Cowboys - i know he gets a lot of bad pub, but the guy is a monster. He stops the run, and NEVER gets beaten deep. Everytime it looks like its him, its just him covering for someone else.

Jared Allen - Although he really has only 1 big year, i'm pretty sold on last year. He didn't have much else for teams to worry about on the defense, and he was an absolute monster. Sacks, FF, and just big plays in general. He now has a monster line beside him and i'm very intrigued to see what happens.

Albert Haynesworth - You have to have a DT in the list of top 5 defensive players, and Big Albert was an absolute beast down in the trenches. He made the whole defense better, and really suprised a lot of people. If he can play like that on a regular basis, watch out.

As you can see, i didn't take any S or typical LBs. This is not to say that they aren't important. But i believe that corner is the position that can be abused the most and be seen as getting burned. Those 2 guys are the top of the class and change the entire plan on offense (when 100%).

Ware's overall skill in all facets makes him the total package. The hybrid LB-DE

Then u need ur dominant pass rusher, who i feel is Allen after last year, and a DT who is Haynesworth. The trenches are where the big boys come to play and getting a guy who can eat blockers and rush the QB is something that influences everything an offense does.

Sure a S and LB can play both the pass and the run, and needs to be accounted for. By no means do i mean to ignore Reed and Sanders, or any of those all facet LBs, but i just feel that these 5 guys are players that offenses focus on during the week to eliminate. I may change my mind even later today, but right now this is what i come to.

For the record, i'm obviously just messing with everyone about Roy Williams. I expect a few responses flaming me because they respond before they read this far.
haha i liked the addition of Roy :D

Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Champ Bailey - Been a stud for years.
DeMarcus Ware - Dominant 3-4 LB.
Bob Sanders - Reigning Defensive Player of the Year.
Albert Haynesworth - Clogged running holes and brought pressure last year for the Titans.

There's 4 for you.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
Champ Bailey - Been a stud for years.
DeMarcus Ware - Dominant 3-4 LB.
Bob Sanders - Reigning Defensive Player of the Year.
Albert Haynesworth - Clogged running holes and brought pressure last year for the Titans.

There's 4 for you.
Reigning DPoY doesnt say to much though...

Old 05-31-2008, 12:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LMAO I almost quoted him, because when I got to Roy's name I didn't even read the rest until last minute...Good one :D I was almost shocked that I didn't want to take the time to read the rest.

Quote:
Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
You want a full analysis of him??? Watch the Colts defense with and without Bob Sanders and tell me he's not a top 5 player.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
You want a full analysis of him??? Watch the Colts defense with and without Bob Sanders and tell me he's not a top 5 player.
Im not saying Bob Sanders shouldnt be up there, im saying that your WHY is questionable

Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
LMAO I almost quoted him, because when I got to Roy's name I didn't even read the rest until last minute...Good one :D I was almost shocked that I didn't want to take the time to read the rest.
haha, that was actually what i was expecting from most people. i figured i'd put him in the middle so there would still be plenty of text that people would be to annoyed to finish reading

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Quote:
Im not saying Bob Sanders shouldnt be up there, im saying that your WHY is questionable
You didn't even give reasoning so I don't see why it matters.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:05 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kevin Williams
Champ Bailey
DeMarcus Ware
Ed Reed
Vince Wilfork
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:17 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah but along with Reed, Sanders is the best secondary player in the league. Im not just saying that as a homer, Im saying that because of his incredible versatility to both be a monster at stopping the run and great at covering the pass as well.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:18 PM    (permalink
indyfan1985
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah but along with Reed, Sanders is the best secondary player in the league. Im not just saying that as a homer, Im saying that because of his incredible versatility to both be a monster at stopping the run and great at covering the pass as well.
I would take a dominant safety over a dominant cornerback anyday. Safeties have to be more versatile in both defending the run and pass.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:48 PM    (permalink
the_Kid
Rookie

the_Kid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Shawne Merriman
Brian Urlacher
Albert Hanesworth
Bob Sanders
Jared Allen

in no peticular order

sig by guesswhosback

Adrian Peterson>>>>Reggie Bush
the_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:50 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DE: Julius Peppers- Still the best in the game at DE, wouldn't want anyone over him.

DT: Kevin Williams- The better part of the d-line, even with the addition of Allen.

LB: DeMarcus Ware- Everything in his game is at an elite level.

CB: Champ Bailey- No body does what he does as well. He had an off year but most of the blame should be put of that terrible front 7.

S: LaRon Landry- Yes Landry, after the death of Taylor LaRon took him game to another level. He is playing like a elite safety and has the entire field covered. Plus he doesn't have a good teammate beside him but still looked great.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
DE: Julius Peppers- Still the best in the game at DE, wouldn't want anyone over him.

DT: Kevin Williams- The better part of the d-line, even with the addition of Allen.

LB: DeMarcus Ware- Everything in his game is at an elite level.

CB: Champ Bailey- No body does what he does as well. He had an off year but most of the blame should be put of that terrible front 7.

S: LaRon Landry- Yes Landry, after the death of Taylor LaRon took him game to another level. He is playing like a elite safety and has the entire field covered. Plus he doesn't have a good teammate beside him but still looked great.
To take Landry over Reed and Sanders is alil bit....meeh

Old 05-31-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

DeMarcus Ware
Osi
Champ Bailey
LaRon Landry
Ed Reed

No order.

Edited

Last edited by skinzzfan25 : 05-31-2008 at 05:10 PM.
skinzzfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:13 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To take Landry over Reed and Sanders is alil bit....meeh
Give him a safety to the similar cailber of what Reed and Sanders has, oh yeah he did and they were unstoppable to go deep on.