Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 06-29-2008, 11:51 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default A Big **** You to ESPN

As you have probably been made aware of ESPN is doing a summer segment called "TitleTown, USA". As described on their website, "This month SportsCenter will announce the 20 TitleTown USA finalists. Bolster the case for your favorite town with facts and stats about its championship pedigree by joining the respective TitleTown conversation. SportsCenter will broadcast from each of the finalists in July, and then online fan voting will determine which town is truly TitleTown USA". Apparently the so called "Worldwide Leader in Sports" doesn't know that name has always and will always belong to Green Bay. This whole thing just pisses me off, why would they do something as idiodic as this. I mean they weren't even clever with it. They blatently ripped off the name from Green Bay. How is that even a competition when you got the name of the segment from one of the participants.

To me this is a complete lack of respect to have this ridiculous event. If they were to call it "Best Sports City" or something it wouldn't bother me half as much, but to ask which city is Titletown makes me want to punch the guy that came up with this. ESPN's summer segments are usually garbage, but this is by far their worst. That's saying a lot too, last year's "Who's Now" was god awful.

Ask anyone where TitleTown, USA is and they'd say Green Bay. No one would have said New York, Boston, or Detroit, it's Green Bay. Massilon, Parkersburg, Williamsport, or Valdosa are some more of the competitors. I wouldn't have even had any idea what state those places where in had it not been listed.

The worst part about this is that ESPN now has people thinking that their city is Titletown. "This competition is much like a PGA tournament when Tiger is in the field. Everyone is fighting for second because they all know the real Titletown is New York City." "When I think of the name TitleTown USA, Knoxville, Tenn., is the first to pop in my head." And the worst one of all "The tundra-like conditions have iced in your front door...Welcome to TitleTown, USA. Welcome to Chicago". Reading the comments for other cities are sickening. And to top off this steaming pile of **** ESPN has created they will crown the champion by a fan vote. They're putting a town of 100K against the like of monster cities of 9million. Gee, wonder who has the advantage there.

So to this I say, **** YOU ESPN!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Absofruitly.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. ESPN glorifies their beloved east coast teams (NY and BOS mostly) and ignores the origin of title town.

At least they dont boast Eli Manning as "unstoppable." (Spike TV)
Only one current athlete is close to unstoppable and thats Tiger. Federer and Nadal keep knocking each other off that list.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats New York or Chicago to winning "Titletown"....what a bunch of B.S.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone with a brain knows what team is the true Titletown.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:55 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Must be alot of people without brains then.
For real though, why did ESPN have to do this? They arent creative enought to give the city another title?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

does anyone really expect anything good from espn anymore? I still watch to get highlights but the rest of the crap is just ridiculous garbage and has been for a while....

I'm not even sure who they're trying to appeal to with garbage like this......but thanks for this warning so i know to try and avoid sportscenter for the rest of the month
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN is a joke. All this does is simply prove that point further.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Pacific
Rookie

Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.Pacific is so money.

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN anyways and this is just icing on the cake. The only thing I'll still watch is Around the Horn. I'm drawn to that show for some reason (probably just to hate on Mariotti).
Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
Yeah, I've pretty much stopped watching ESPN anyways and this is just icing on the cake. The only thing I'll still watch is Around the Horn. I'm drawn to that show for some reason (probably just to hate on Mariotti).
i like to watch first take in the mornings really just for 1st and 10 to see the babble that skip comes up with.....and around the horn is pretty decent too yes, lol.

while i'm at school, i get espnnews so ill just turn that on to get highlights and things but during the summers, i don't get espnnews so i have to sift through the crap that is sportscenter to get just a little bit of actual news.....blah
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Around the Horn and PTI are still entertaining.
I am one of the few who still likes Chris Berman too
Thats about it for me

How and the Mayne Event

Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm guessing they probably followed this story up with an interview with Favre saying he would come back if Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm, and Matt Flynn all became injured, and no QBs were available to sign.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:42 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Must be alot of people without brains then.
For real though, why did ESPN have to do this? They arent creative enought to give the city another title?
As I see it without the Packers, the word "titletown" wouldn't have been made. We are the original, ESPN can continue making a rip-off.

Plus if it was a public voting, then I know it just a bunch of homers.

Last edited by PACKmanN : 07-02-2008 at 03:44 AM.
PACKmanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 AM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's just another way for ESPN to glorify Boston and New York. Ignore it.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WLUK, the FOX affiliate in Green Bay, had a news story about this today and they, in a way, laughed it off, and gave numerous examples of why Green Bay is truely Titletown.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 AM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well ESPN is owned by Disney. That could be why everything they broadcast is a joke. Sad thing is they are such a big Corp. that no new network can even compete with ESPN. I'm tired of watching their garbage and their dumba** experts "who really just don't know anything"
Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezPower4 View Post
Well ESPN is owned by Disney. That could be why everything they broadcast is a joke. Sad thing is they are such a big Corp. that no new network can even compete with ESPN. I'm tired of watching their garbage and their dumba** experts "who really just don't know anything"
I remember when I was little i watched CNNSI with people like Kevin Frazier and Tom Rinaldi, but that never lasted probably because of ESPN

Old 07-02-2008, 09:38 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
does anyone really expect anything good from espn anymore? I still watch to get highlights but the rest of the crap is just ridiculous garbage and has been for a while....
Pretty much sums up how I feel about ESPN, its terrible point blank, if I don't get my NFLNetwork going this month I feel like I'm going to go crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, Bossier City, Louisiana is now TitleTown, USA. Thanks ESPN!
Just kidding, but seriously, doing this would be like telling Manny Ramirez his new nickname is "The Splendid Splinter" or moving the Pro Football Hall of Fame to Tulsa; it just doesn't work.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never knew that GB was called title town.. In fact I didn't even know that term was used. I heard of Motown, but def. not title town. Why is GB called title town? I know of the many championships that GB has, but other teams in GB have won?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:52 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
I never knew that GB was called title town.. In fact I didn't even know that term was used. I heard of Motown, but def. not title town. Why is GB called title town? I know of the many championships that GB has, but other teams in GB have won?
courtesy of wikipedia

The Green Bay Packers professional football team of the National Football League has been based in the city since 1919. Green Bay is by far the smallest U.S. market for an NFL team,[5] although the Packers' fanbase stretches across the state of Wisconsin. Green Bay is nicknamed "Titletown" and "Titletown, USA"[5] for the number of NFL titles (12) it has won over the years (including the first two Super Bowls as well as Super Bowl XXXI), more than any other team. The name appears on the city seal, is used by the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce for its web address (titletown.org) and variations of the word appear in the name of more than two dozen local businesses

Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
courtesy of wikipedia

The Green Bay Packers professional football team of the National Football League has been based in the city since 1919. Green Bay is by far the smallest U.S. market for an NFL team,[5] although the Packers' fanbase stretches across the state of Wisconsin. Green Bay is nicknamed "Titletown" and "Titletown, USA"[5] for the number of NFL titles (12) it has won over the years (including the first two Super Bowls as well as Super Bowl XXXI), more than any other team. The name appears on the city seal, is used by the Green Bay Chamber of Commerce for its web address (titletown.org) and variations of the word appear in the name of more than two dozen local businesses
Ok, I guess I was right that it was because of the 12 titles, which is very, very impressive. They also made it official with documents and the city seal. I guess that's a cool thing, but my question is why would they call it title town, when other teams may have more.

I hate baseball, but being from the tri-state area, the Yanks have 26 titles. So why would GB call themselves title town, when another town has more titles?

Just like how the Cowboys call themselves America's team. That bothered me because only the media and themselves call them that. Other fans don't give them that honor. Seems like media hype, and the cowboys bought it, and dubbed it themselves.

So I guess in GB's case, it's good that you guys have 12 titles, but still don't know why someone would call it title town, when another town/city has more than double that. NY has more titles, Boston has a large number of titles. The celtics alone just won their 17th title.

To me I could see how you guys are upset, but from an unbiased point of view, perhaps that label is now outdated in regards to GB. I don't mind them finding a new town/city that has more titles, and keep changing it to fit current titles.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Ok, I guess I was right that it was because of the 12 titles, which is very, very impressive. They also made it official with documents and the city seal. I guess that's a cool thing, but my question is why would they call it title town, when other teams may have more.

I hate baseball, but being from the tri-state area, the Yanks have 26 titles. So why would GB call themselves title town, when another town has more titles?

Just like how the Cowboys call themselves America's team. That bothered me because only the media and themselves call them that. Other fans don't give them that honor. Seems like media hype, and the cowboys bought it, and dubbed it themselves.

So I guess in GB's case, it's good that you guys have 12 titles, but still don't know why someone would call it title town, when another town/city has more than double that. NY has more titles, Boston has a large number of titles. The celtics alone just won their 17th title.

To me I could see how you guys are upset, but from an unbiased point of view, perhaps that label is now outdated in regards to GB. I don't mind them finding a new town/city that has more titles, and keep changing it to fit current titles.
The Packers are the ONLY team in Green Bay and their amount of championships in cimparison to other cities and their amounts of teams/opporunities is very different. You look at New York; they have the Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, and how seasons/decades have these teams had the chance to win championships.

Green Bay has won a championship in 13.8% of the seasons they've played and the city of New York has won a championship in 10% of the seasons they've played.

Last edited by princefielder28 : 07-02-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
The Packers are the ONLY team in Green Bay and their amount of championships in cimparison to other cities and their amounts of teams/opporunities is very different. You look at New York; they have the Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, and how seasons/decades have these teams had the chance to win championships.

Green Bay has won a championship in 13.8% of the seasons they've played and the city of New York has won a championship in 10% of the seasons they've played.
True, but also there are other teams there as well. That's why when I think of title town, I think of titles from all teams accumulating to the total. So it's basically adding all the titles across all the sports teams, and coming up with a total. I think of it as the same for teams in LA, boston, chicago, and so on.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:38 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

So maybe if the Green Bay Blizzard win an AFL2, and UW-Green Bay's basketball team wins the National Championship we can be Titletown again!