Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
661rep
Rookie

661rep hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
if there is anyone else you might think is a good measuring stick, let me know.
I'm really curious about Jammer & Cromartie as a Raider fan. I wanna see how good they both really were. Also you could probably list Rashean Mathis & Nate Clements.
661rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 661rep View Post
I'm really curious about Jammer & Cromartie as a Raider fan. I wanna see how good they both really were. Also you could probably list Rashean Mathis & Nate Clements.
I'd assume that Mathis' numbers aren't very good. He had an off year last season, as he was playing through nagging a hamstring and shoulder injury all season.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
if there is anyone else you might think is a good measuring stick, let me know.
I'm not sure if this counts as a measuring stick, but I'd love to see Al Harris' numbers versus those of Charles Woodson.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanna see Vashers/Tillmans Numbers :D

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Success rate is defined as this: The percentage of plays targeting this player on which the offense DID NOT have a successful play. This means not only incomplete passes and interceptions but short completions which do not meet our baselines for success (45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, 100 percent on 3rd and 4th down) Defensive pass interference is counted as a failure as is a successful completion or first down.

Adam Jones: Targeted 69 times, Success rate of 63%, 5.4 YPC (Avg. yards per completion given up)

Nathan Vasher: Unavailable due to missing 12 games caused by injury

Charles Tillman: Targeted 93 times, Success rate of 52%, 5.9 YPC

Champ Bailey: Targeted 67 times, Success rate of 59%, 6.7 YPC

Charles Woodson: Targeted 62 times, Success rate of 58%, 7.7 YPC

Al Harris: Targeted 74 times, Success rate of 40%, 9.4 YPC

Rashean Mathis: Targeted 61 times, Success rate of 47%, 6.5 YPC

Nanmdi Asomugha: Targeted 38 times, Success rate of 61%, 5.8 YPC

DeAngelo Hall: Targeted 92 times, Success rate of 52%,
7.2 YPC

Asante Samuel: Targeted 81 times, Success rate of 51%, 6.3 YPC

Ike Taylor: Targeted 111 times, Success rate of 53%, 7.2 YPC

Quentin Jammer: Targeted 81 times, Success rate of 53%, 6.4 YPC

Antonio Cromartie: Targeted 57 times, Success rate of 50%, 8.2 YPC

Nate Clements: Targeted 109 times, Success rate of 50%, 8.0 YPC

SIDE NOTE: Charles Woodson and Al Harris were ranked 1 and 2 in defensive penalties with 12 and 11 respectively.

Last edited by Burns336 : 07-10-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Bruce
Rookie

Bruce is a cocksman.Bruce is a cocksman.Bruce is a cocksman.

Night Trane Lane and whoever was opposite him.
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:22 AM    (permalink
661rep
Rookie

Asomugha is beastly.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Success rate is defined as this: The percentage of plays targeting this player on which the offense DID NOT have a successful play. This means not only incomplete passes and interceptions but short completions which do not meet our baselines for success (45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent on second down, 100 percent on 3rd and 4th down) Defensive pass interference is counted as a failure as is a successful completion or first down.

Adam Jones: Targeted 69 times, Success rate of 63%, 5.4 YPC (Avg. yards per completion given up)

Nathan Vasher: Unavailable due to missing 12 games caused by injury

Charles Tillman: Targeted 93 times, Success rate of 52%, 5.9 YPC

Champ Bailey: Targeted 67 times, Success rate of 59%, 6.7 YPC

Charles Woodson: Targeted 62 times, Success rate of 58%, 7.7 YPC

Al Harris: Targeted 74 times, Success rate of 40%, 9.4 YPC

Rashean Mathis: Targeted 61 times, Success rate of 47%, 6.5 YPC

Nanmdi Asomugha: Targeted 38 times, Success rate of 61%, 5.8 YPC

DeAngelo Hall: Targeted 92 times, Success rate of 52%,
7.2 YPC

Asante Samuel: Targeted 81 times, Success rate of 51%, 6.3 YPC

Ike Taylor: Targeted 111 times, Success rate of 53%, 7.2 YPC

Quentin Jammer: Targeted 81 times, Success rate of 53%, 6.4 YPC

Antonio Cromartie: Targeted 57 times, Success rate of 50%, 8.2 YPC

Nate Clements: Targeted 109 times, Success rate of 50%, 8.0 YPC

SIDE NOTE: Charles Woodson and Al Harris were ranked 1 and 2 in defensive penalties with 12 and 11 respectively.
Wouldn't a team's pass rush effect a corner's success though?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:37 AM    (permalink
661rep
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Yes. Although, two of the best CB's in league Aso & Champ haven't had good pass rush the last two years.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:39 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
well obviously any stat you look at should be taken into consideration along with the players system. Even the most basic stats such as yards for a running back depend on the system. Look at all of the Bronco RB's. You're basically guaranteed 1000 yards...

Or you can say an O-line makes or breaks a RB, or QB.

Same with defense, Maybe they play a lot more zone, maybe more man to man, maybe they have more/less of a pass rush with other guys.

These are simply the best stats available for CB's, but to answer your question, yes the system in which the player plays in should be taken into consideration.

But you still must consider that the success rate is only affected and taken into account when a player is directly targeted on a play. So, while the pass rush may help to force a crappy pass in the direction of the defender, it certainly isn't happening on every play.

I'd argue that the top pressure producing team in the league is san diego -- as you can see, even with that pressure, Jammer and Cro aren't as good as some guys who dont get any help at all (Aso)
Old 07-11-2008, 03:45 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Anyway, the whole point of me posting these is to show that Adam Jones was one of the top cb's in the league statistically speaking in 2006 and could end up forming the top duo in the league along side Terence Newman, who had a down year by his standards, mostly due to the injury which he had in his plant foot for a majority of the season.

Rashean Mathis down year can be attributed to injury as well.

Newman: Targeted 68 times, Success rate of 47%, 6.9 YPC
Old 07-11-2008, 04:51 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
well obviously any stat you look at should be taken into consideration along with the players system. Even the most basic stats such as yards for a running back depend on the system. Look at all of the Bronco RB's. You're basically guaranteed 1000 yards...

Or you can say an O-line makes or breaks a RB, or QB.

Same with defense, Maybe they play a lot more zone, maybe more man to man, maybe they have more/less of a pass rush with other guys.

These are simply the best stats available for CB's, but to answer your question, yes the system in which the player plays in should be taken into consideration.

But you still must consider that the success rate is only affected and taken into account when a player is directly targeted on a play. So, while the pass rush may help to force a crappy pass in the direction of the defender, it certainly isn't happening on every play.

I'd argue that the top pressure producing team in the league is san diego -- as you can see, even with that pressure, Jammer and Cro aren't as good as some guys who dont get any help at all (Aso)
Are those the most recent metrics from each player based on the most recent season they played?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does it say how many TD's they allowed??

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Are those the most recent metrics from each player based on the most recent season they played?
yeah, these are from the past season with the exception of adam jones, his are from the last season he played in.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
Does it say how many TD's they allowed??
unfortunately no. I can't figure out why they wouldn't. That is pretty important to me.

I think I read that the rational behind it was that if a DB gives up a huge pass and makes the tackle down at the 2 yard line, then the opposing offense rushes the ball in, the DB should be held somewhat accountable for that TD. Since you can't actually put a number on how many td's they should be held accountable for, they just do successes and failures.

That being said, I would still love to see an exact number for TD's. Maybe KC Joyners book will have it.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
zCaddyz
Rookie

zCaddyz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

call me a homer but what about r.barber and b.kelly
Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zCaddyz View Post
call me a homer but what about r.barber and b.kelly
Ill throw them up when I get home
Old 07-11-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hate to keep bugging you for stats, but I'd also like to see Fabian Washington, Marcus Trufant, and Terrance Newman if you get a chance.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

I posted newmans a few posts up where I was talking about he and mathis putting up below avg. numbers which can probably attributed to injuries.

Ill throw up trufant and washington when I get home.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Ronde Barber: Targeted 53 times, Success rate of 47%, 6.5 YPC

Brian Kelly: Targeted 34 times, Success rate of 55%, 4.8 YPC

Marcus Trufant: Targeted 113 times, Success rate of 53%, 6.8 YPC

Fabian Washington: Targeted 50 times, Success rate of 46%, 9.3 YPC <<
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can you do Lito Sheppard/Sheldon Brown maybe?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the whole "Deion with anyone else" thing was funny. Funny, but true. Deion was amazing.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:09 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Ask any Charger fan and they'll probably tell you the secondary outperformed the pass rush in 2007. QBs had way too much time against us, even though Merriman and Phillips got their numbers.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCohen View Post
Ask any Charger fan and they'll probably tell you the secondary outperformed the pass rush in 2007. QBs had way too much time against us, even though Merriman and Phillips got their numbers.
I live here, I watch every game. If Castillo is healthy and Merriman isn't suspended the front 7 is def better than the secondary. But Jammer finally came around and played well and Cro was only in his first full year. They can be even better this year.

Last edited by Burns336 : 07-11-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Lito Sheppard: Targeted 61 times, 36% Success rate, 8.5 YPC

Sheldon Brown: Targeted 83 times, 53% Success rate, 7.4 YPC