Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i don't think you intended to quote me. but if you did, i don't understand the argument.
Oh not arguing, just taking off with a different perspective on terry bradshaw. Weren't you the one that mentioned him?
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Ok, Romo better than Favre over the past 3 years or so? this is where this just becomes a major homer fest. Come on. And before you spew stats at me, remember that Romo played on a better Dallas team than what Favre had over the past few years. I'm no Favre fan, and yes, aot of his records came due to playing a lot, but what did you want him to do? Sit while mildly injured? Not throw TD's while playing or being hurt? There's quite a bit of stretching going on to hate on Favre. A guy who I think is ******* his team over currently, so ya can't call me a Favre fan
I would have taken Romo over Favre last year. No question. That isn't a homer statement either. Feel free to tell me how Favre played better than Romo this last year. I'm all ears.

EDIT: I was just trying to make the point that whoever said he was 3rd only behind brady and manning over the past 2 years is making a statement that is no where near as clear cut as they made it seem.

The QB's I mentioned are all QB's that you could argue had a better 2006 and 2007 than Favre.

Last edited by Burns336 : 07-13-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Sammy Baugh
Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
nah, just elway.
I like captain comeback... were you saying yay or nay for top 5
Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 PM    (permalink
TheBuffaloBills
Veteran

TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
Peyton Manning
Bernie Kosar

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!
TheBuffaloBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic74 View Post
Passer Rating is my go to stat. Let me compare the popular QBS
Baugh- Led league in passer rating 4 times(37,40,45,47).
Graham- Led League 4 times(47,49,52,55) 47, 49 AAFC
Unitas- Led League 3 times (57,58,65)
Starr- Led league 3 times(62,64,66)
Staubach- Led league 4 times(71,73,78,79)
Montana- Lead league twice(87,89)
Marino- Lead league once(84)
Elway- None
Young- Six times (91,92,93,94,96,97)
Favre- None
Manning- Three times(04,05,06
Brady- Once(07)
Take that how you want it.
You're not serious about using passer rating as a clear cut guide to determining who is a better quarterback are you?

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm ready to take some crap here

1. Joe Montana (pretty easy)
2. Tom Brady
3. Bart Starr
4.Jon Elway.
5. Peyton Manning

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
elway is the best quarterback i've ever seen play. i don't know that that makes him better than, say, unitas, but he'd absolutely be in my top 2 or 3 (even if one accounts for expectations for brady and manning).
Yeah, his ability to take the ball and lead under pressure (limited time and behind on the score board) will probably never be rivaled...
Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 AM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
You're not serious about using passer rating as a clear cut guide to determining who is a better quarterback are you?
What is a more logical way? Can't think of any other way. Any other way has biases.
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:58 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuffaloBills View Post
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
Peyton Manning
Bernie Kosar
Bernie Kosar? I love the guy, but really? Please explain.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What is a more logical way? Can't think of any other way. Any other way has biases.
Even if that was a great way to rank QBs the way you did it doesn't make sense. If you're going to look at QB ratings then compare the numbers, not how many years they lead the league.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:23 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Even if that was a great way to rank QBs the way you did it doesn't make sense. If you're going to look at QB ratings then compare the numbers, not how many years they lead the league.
Agreed. A career passer rating or a passer rating of their best 6 years or something would make more sense. With his current format, a QB could have a passer rating of 70, but as long as no one else that year had higher, he essentially gets a point for that.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:23 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1. Write down all the QBs stats
2. Write down all the QBs teams
3. ?????
4. Best list ever

oh to ur question: like any other way

Last edited by Gay Ork Wang : 07-14-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
that's utterly asinine.

since 2000, a quarterback who was 350/400 for 2500 yards, 10 tds and 15 ints would've been in the top 10 (and usually the top five) for passer rating every single year (gives a rating of, by my numbers, 93.75). is that really a good season? is he really a good quarterback or did he just throw a lot of short passes for no yardage?

i guess maybe it would be worth actually looking at the garbage formula you want to use before praising it.
David Carr-esque

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 AM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Johnny Unitas
2. Joe Montana
3. Brett Favre
4. John Elway
5. Dan Marino
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:45 AM    (permalink
D-Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I would have taken Romo over Favre last year. No question. That isn't a homer statement either. Feel free to tell me how Favre played better than Romo this last year. I'm all ears.

EDIT: I was just trying to make the point that whoever said he was 3rd only behind brady and manning over the past 2 years is making a statement that is no where near as clear cut as they made it seem.

The QB's I mentioned are all QB's that you could argue had a better 2006 and 2007 than Favre.
I think Favre and Romo were about equal last year. I think Favre was more consistent and didn't self-destruct like Romo did at times. Also, Favre had a less consistent run game at the beginning of the season which makes his accomplishments more impressive.

Overall, I can't really see how you can say you would take Romo over Favre "no question".
Old 07-14-2008, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Boy View Post
I think Favre and Romo were about equal last year. I think Favre was more consistent and didn't self-destruct like Romo did at times. Also, Favre had a less consistent run game at the beginning of the season which makes his accomplishments more impressive.

Overall, I can't really see how you can say you would take Romo over Favre "no question".
You're right, he didn't self destruct in the Cowboy game, or throw the game sealing pick, once again, in the playoff game.

They didn't have a less consistent run game either, both offenses were pass first teams. I don't know what he accomplished which was impressive either?

Contrary to the belief of the general fan. Romo isn't why we lost in the playoffs. Credit the Giants for making big plays first. Then look at the O-line in the second half, 2 huge dropped passes, and unfinished routes before you look at Romo.

People are just living off espn crap. You may prefer Favre last season, which is fine, but you can't say he was definitively better. Not better than Romo or Big Ben or Brees and I still think Carson Palmer is a better QB.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To take Romo over Favre by a wide margin is really foolish

Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM    (permalink
D-Boy

Quote:
You're right, he didn't self destruct in the Cowboy game, or throw the game sealing pick, once again, in the playoff game.

They didn't have a less consistent run game either, both offenses were pass first teams. I don't know what he accomplished which was impressive either?

Contrary to the belief of the general fan. Romo isn't why we lost in the playoffs. Credit the Giants for making big plays first. Then look at the O-line in the second half, 2 huge dropped passes, and unfinished routes before you look at Romo.

People are just living off espn crap. You may prefer Favre last season, which is fine, but you can't say he was definitively better. Not better than Romo or Big Ben or Brees and I still think Carson Palmer is a better QB.

You're the one who was saying that Romo was better. Like I said, they had similar seasons but I think Favre was the more consistent QB who endured a very poor running game to start the season.

I think you can easily make the argument that Favre was the 3rd best QB in the NFL last season, and the best in the NFC. There are other QBs who are in the discussion as well, but I would put Favre in that spot and I think many would agree with me.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renji View Post
To take Romo over Favre by a wide margin is really foolish
To me it isn't. Brett has proven that he is a gunslinger. He always will be a gunslinger. He's going to make big mistakes. Romo, even though he is often compared to Favre, has said he is doing a lot of things like working hard to improve his footwork to cut down on INT's.

Last year, you could call it a toss up between the two. Some will take Favre, some will take Romo. I would take Romo.

I've just never been a huge Favre fan. Why would I be? I'm a Dallas fan. All I know if Favre coming and losing in Dallas. To me, he always will be the guy who throws the huge interception.

Personally, I would easily take Romo over the past 2 years.

Please... Don't try and come at me with "You think Romo is better than Farve blahblahbalh"... No, I'm not trying to say Romo is a better QB career wise, I'm not saying Farve's career accomplishments and SB ring mean nothing. I'm simply talking about 06, 07, and going into the 08 season. I want Romo, I want Big Ben, I want Brees, I want Palmer all before Favre.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Boy View Post
You're the one who was saying that Romo was better. Like I said, they had similar seasons but I think Favre was the more consistent QB who endured a very poor running game to start the season.

I think you can easily make the argument that Favre was the 3rd best QB in the NFL last season, and the best in the NFC. There are other QBs who are in the discussion as well, but I would put Favre in that spot and I think many would agree with me.
It's called sarcasm. I do think Romo was better. Farve self destructed plenty. Like he always does

The whole running game thing is really irrelevant too considering it didn't cause anyone to lose and considering the majority of our running game was Barber pounding people in the 4th quarter after we were up by at least 14 points. Both offenses would win games and get ahead by passing.

Romo did just as much, if not more with his arm than Favre.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
To me it isn't. Brett has proven that he is a gunslinger. He always will be a gunslinger. He's going to make big mistakes. Romo, even though he is often compared to Favre, has said he is doing a lot of things like working hard to improve his footwork to cut down on INT's.

Last year, you could call it a toss up between the two. Some will take Favre, some will take Romo. I would take Romo.

I've just never been a huge Favre fan. Why would I be? I'm a Dallas fan. All I know if Favre coming and losing in Dallas. To me, he always will be the guy who throws the huge interception.

Personally, I would easily take Romo over the past 2 years.

Please... Don't try and come at me with "You think Romo is better than Farve blahblahbalh"... No, I'm not trying to say Romo is a better QB career wise, I'm not saying Farve's career accomplishments and SB ring mean nothing. I'm simply talking about 06, 07, and going into the 08 season. I want Romo, I want Big Ben, I want Brees, I want Palmer all before Favre.
I take the Dallas WR OL and RBs over Favres WRs OL and RBs. And especially the TE

Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 PM    (permalink
D-Boy

Quote:
It's called sarcasm. I do think Romo was better. Farve self destructed plenty. Like he always does

The whole running game thing is really irrelevant too considering it didn't cause anyone to lose and considering the majority of our running game was Barber pounding people in the 4th quarter after we were up by at least 14 points. Both offenses would win games and get ahead by passing.

Romo did just as much, if not more with his arm than Favre.
So basically you like Romo more because you're a homer?

Like I've said, Favre played just as well as Romo except his running game wasn't as consistent and he didn't self-destruct like Romo did against the Bills.

Also, why are you talking about Favre being a gunslinger who will always throw the big interception when Romo is the exact same, except worse (last season)?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:45 PM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie

flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Dan Marino
2. Joe Montana
3. Bart Starr
4. Johnny Unitas
5. Sammy Baugh
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
1. Dan Marino
2. Joe Montana
3. Bart Starr
4. Johnny Unitas
5. Sammy Baugh
Bart Starr's a first.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote